register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 2 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering

Old 05-24-2009, 01:21 AM   #1
gixxerholic

which R1 forks fit in

Could anybody tell me which model year of R1 forks fit in the FZ1 yokes, sorry triple trees. specifically the 02-03 part no 5pw-23102-01 and 5pw-23103-01. I'm assuming that they are long enough as well as the same diameter to keep the geomtry the same. I believe that the calipers also fit straight on. I need to know before 1700gmt (i'm in th uk) your help apreciated.
gixxerholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:03 AM   #2
fz1pone
NK! F**K YEAH!

if i recall, they don't.

if you're on a deadline, the search button might get you there.
fz1pone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:26 AM   #3
gixxerholic

thanks for that i had tried the search first but couldn't find any confirmation
gixxerholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
sportryder
lee@traxxion.com

You've posted this in the Gen2 area so I'm hoping you are talking about putting some R1 forks on your Gen2 FZ1. If this is correct, I'm pretty sure the 02-08 USD forks from an R1 have the same OD of the outer legs as what the Gen2 FZ1 has so they will fit the triples. The R1 forks are slightly shorter though so steering geometry will be changed and ground clearance will be reduced slightly. There are a couple of fairly lengthy threads around here describing changes they have made.

Here's one - http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...ht=07+R1+forks

Here's another for some 05 R1 forks - http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...04-06+R1+forks

I recently purchased some '07-'08 R1 forks and calipers. I'm here at the shop today working on my 06 FZ1 forks and these '08 R1 forks. I've measured the OD on the outer legs and they are identical. The outer legs are also the same length. In almost every way, they are the same outer legs. The overall length of these R1 forks is around 12-15 mm shorter than the FZ1 forks. Some people are going to the trouble of using the R1 triples clamps on the Gen2 FZ1 instead of the FZ1 triples. That's their choice but I've decided to do this project differently since the FZ1 triple clamps are the correct size for the R1 legs. I'm installing our AK-20 cartridge kit in the '08 R1 forks. Our default build of our AK-20 kit extends the travel of the '07'-'08 year R1 by 10mm. On the '04-'06 R1 fork, the AK-20 default kit does not extend the R1 fork but it can be extended 20mm if someone wants their fork to match the FZ1 fork length.

Nobody seems interested in swapping the Gen2 FZ1 forks with '02-'03 R1 forks because those forks use brake calipers exactly like the Gen2 FZ1 brake calipers. I suppose they do not deem it worthwhile since both of them do not use radial brake calipers.

Traxxion Dynamics Motorcycle Suspension Service
www.traxxion.com

Current Bikes - '08 Triumph Tiger 1050, '09 Buell 1125CR, 2009 GSXR600
sportryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
novasquid
will ride for food

Lee,

i had a question about what you wrote above, "On the '04-'06 R1 fork, the AK-20 default kit does not extend the R1 fork but it can be extended 20mm if someone wants their fork to match the FZ1 fork length."

to extend the 04-06 r1 forks 20mm to match the fz1 fork length, do i need to install the ak-20 kit? or can it be extended without the kit?

if i need the kit to extend the r1 forks, how much would it cost?
novasquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:12 AM   #6
sportryder
lee@traxxion.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
Lee,

i had a question about what you wrote above, "On the '04-'06 R1 fork, the AK-20 default kit does not extend the R1 fork but it can be extended 20mm if someone wants their fork to match the FZ1 fork length."

to extend the 04-06 r1 forks 20mm to match the fz1 fork length, do i need to install the ak-20 kit? or can it be extended without the kit?

if i need the kit to extend the r1 forks, how much would it cost?
I know it sounds confusing what I said. Sorry about that. What I was trying to say is there are minor differences from kit to kit in the default amount in mm in which the fork is changed in length. With some forks and applications, they loose 2-5mm of length and in others, they gain 5-10mm in length. With the R1 forks, it is possible to change the length by as much as 20mm.

With our AK-20 kit there are options not available with any other manufacturer of cartridge kits. When we install each kit, we can measure exactly how much the fork can be lengthened or shortened and then select a diferent length cartridge rod, rebound adjuster rod and then alter the spring spacer length so everything will function perfectly. Our kits are modular in design and we have at least 60 different cartridge rod and metering rod lengths. In fact, if we have a day to build a kit and do not have to ship it out immediately, we can make the rods a custom length to accomodate the desire of the customer. However, we will normally only do this when we have the forks in the shop so we can verify there will be no problems with the setup.

Oh, almost forgot. There is no extra charge for this. It would still be included in the cost of the kit plus the installation labor charge.

www.traxxion.com

Last edited by sportryder; 08-19-2009 at 04:14 AM. Reason: added last paragraph.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:12 AM   #7
novasquid
will ride for food

when i asked about the cost i meant the entire ak-20 kit plus labor. a local guy upgraded his 04 r1 to 09 r1 forks, and a bunch of other goodies, so i'm thinking of buying his 04 r1 forks, MC, calipers and rotors and getting the ak-20 kit put in the forks. how much would it cost to put the kit in?

also, if i'm going to upgrade the forks, i might as well go with a penske rear shock. how much is the double clicker?

if you want, you can pm me all this info, or just post up here.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
novasquid
will ride for food

Lee,

you're blocking pm's, so i couldn't reply back to your pm. but here's what i wrote:

is the ak-20 kit the only way to regain the 10mm length difference? maybe i can just live with the 10mm shorter forks, and dial in the rear end to be about 10mm shorter with the penske? i'm vertically challenged, so that might work out for me in the end.

what other upgrade options do i have for the 04 R1 forks besides the ak-20 kit? just trying to figure out my options within my budget.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:40 PM   #9
sportryder
lee@traxxion.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
is the ak-20 kit the only way to regain the 10mm length difference?
** edit: Got to thinking about this on the way home from work. A 10mm taller fork cap would do the trick. It would not lengthen the travel but it do the same thing by making the forks 10 mm longer. Simple and effective. If you didn't go with taller caps, then...

The other way to lengthen the fork would be using a different length cartridge rod, metering rod and longer spring spacer. What you are actually doing is allowing the fork to extend farther that what it did with the stock length parts. This could be done with a cartridge kit from the aftermarket or by exchanging those same parts I mentioned above from another longer OEM cartridge. If you've never worked on forks, how would you know which OEM items are going to work in your particular set of forks? It is much easier in the long run to go with a cartridge kit that all of that work has already been done for you. Ours can be made to custom lengths. I don't know about the others or what they are willing to do. If we made 10 mm OD cartridge rods or believed they were the proper size, it would be simple. However, we do not believe 10 mm cartridge rods are large enough to develope pressure differentials quickly enough when used with a 20 mm cartridge body. So, IMO, there is no other way to lengthen the forks without installing our AK-20 kit or a kit from another vendor.

If money is a big concern, just run the R1 forks at the stock length like a few others do and don't modify them any other way. Just be aware of any reduction in ground clearance during extreme banking angles.

If you are concerned about the AK-20 kit price, then revalving the forks and having us do it won't gain you much cash. Try pricing out a cartridge kit from any other vendor in the entire world. Our kit is over $500 less than the nearest competitor. Before we started manufacturing our AK-20 cartridge kits, we serviced forks, resprung and revalved them using our own valve assemblies. We charged just under $800 for the full fork upgrade including new seals. The AK-20 kit is $350 more ($1150) with installation labor included in that price. The AK-20 kit is also portable so it can be moved over to another motorcycle with some retrofitting of parts. Prior to the AK-20 kit, the full fork upgrade stayed with the motorcycle so your $800 went out the window with the sale of the bike. With the AK-20 kit, you put the stock stuff back in, sell the bike and move the AK-20 kit to the next motorcycle at less than half the cost of the older standard fork upgrade. It is rare that we upgrade forks the old way. Our customers have told us it's a no-brainer to spend a little bit more up front and have significantly better performance not only on your current bike but the next and then the one after that and so on. It just makes sense.

With all that said, the stock R1 valving is decent but it could be better. You and many people could probably get by just fine with the stock stuff. It CAN get significantly better though.

The biggest drawback is the R1 cartridges prior to '07 had 10 mm cartridge rods and used a 20 mm cartridge body. The dead zone was pretty large on those forks whenever the forks changed direction.

Our cartridges seal much better than the OEM and actually could be used to pump air they seal so well. The OEM cartridges could never do that. Also, all of our AK-20 kits use a 12.5mm cartridge rod so whenever the fork changes direction (compression to rebound and so forth) damping is created within a few mm instead of an inch or more of fork travel. This is where the AK-20 cartridges really shine.

Believe it or not, the OEM cartridges on fairly smooth roads on just about every single motorcycle in the world have a large enough dead zone to be riding around with little to no damping occuring at all in the forks most of the time simply because their design is not leak free enough and there is not enough fork movement in either direction in order to create damping. About the only time there is much damping going on is when you cross over bumps or hit pot-holes. The difference in tire contact patch feel when you compare our stuff to OEM is huge.

In the end, you need to do what is best for you and your finances.

Try the stock R1 forks out for a while with the Penske and see how that works for you. If you decide the bike should work better then give me a shout and we'll discuss it. Cost wise, the AK-20 kit is cheaper than the standard fork upgrade in the long run. Don't let the initially higher buy in price lead you to believe it is more expensive.

www.traxxion.com

Last edited by sportryder; 08-21-2009 at 07:46 PM. Reason: added short paragraph at the beginning and edited some of the second paragraph.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:53 AM   #10
garrettg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportryder View Post
You've posted this in the Gen2 area so I'm hoping you are talking about putting some R1 forks on your Gen2 FZ1. If this is correct, I'm pretty sure the 02-08 USD forks from an R1 have the same OD of the outer legs as what the Gen2 FZ1 has so they will fit the triples. The R1 forks are slightly shorter though so steering geometry will be changed and ground clearance will be reduced slightly. There are a couple of fairly lengthy threads around here describing changes they have made.

Here's one - http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...ht=07+R1+forks

Here's another for some 05 R1 forks - http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...04-06+R1+forks

I recently purchased some '07-'08 R1 forks and calipers. I'm here at the shop today working on my 06 FZ1 forks and these '08 R1 forks. I've measured the OD on the outer legs and they are identical. The outer legs are also the same length. In almost every way, they are the same outer legs. The overall length of these R1 forks is around 12-15 mm shorter than the FZ1 forks. Some people are going to the trouble of using the R1 triples clamps on the Gen2 FZ1 instead of the FZ1 triples. That's their choice but I've decided to do this project differently since the FZ1 triple clamps are the correct size for the R1 legs. I'm installing our AK-20 cartridge kit in the '08 R1 forks. Our default build of our AK-20 kit extends the travel of the '07'-'08 year R1 by 10mm. On the '04-'06 R1 fork, the AK-20 default kit does not extend the R1 fork but it can be extended 20mm if someone wants their fork to match the FZ1 fork length.

Nobody seems interested in swapping the Gen2 FZ1 forks with '02-'03 R1 forks because those forks use brake calipers exactly like the Gen2 FZ1 brake calipers. I suppose they do not deem it worthwhile since both of them do not use radial brake calipers.
Lee,
Did you end up fitting the 07-08 R1 forks to your FZ1 with your AK-20 kit? How did it turn out? Were you able to use the rotors from FZ1 or were R1 rotors needed? Do you know if the 09-10 R1 forks are an option as well?
garrettg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:18 AM   #11
sportryder
lee@traxxion.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettg View Post
Lee,
Did you end up fitting the 07-08 R1 forks to your FZ1 with your AK-20 kit? How did it turn out? Were you able to use the rotors from FZ1 or were R1 rotors needed? Do you know if the 09-10 R1 forks are an option as well?
That project turned out very well. Yes, I installed our ak-20 kit in the '07-'08 R1 forks. I ended up making those forks 4mm longer than the original FZ1 fork legs so I would have + or - ride height options at the front of the bike also. I couldn't be more pleased with the results.

I kept the 320mm stock front brake rotors. The 6-piston R1 calipers were designed for 310mm rotors so there were clearance issues causing the rotors to contact the brake calipers. I machined up 4 spacers on a lathe at the shop to move the calipers 5mm further away from the axle. Someone else here on the forum had already mentioned the clearance issue and suggested 5mm thick spacers be fabricated. All I did was follow that suggestion.

I have not measured the OD or length of the '09-'10 R1 forks so I cannot answer your last question.

www.traxxion.com

Old 06-29-2010, 02:21 AM   #12
Smithy

Can anyone tell me if the top tree of a 08 FZ1 fits the R1 (02/03 or 04/06) forks and lower tree??
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:18 AM   #13
keeena

You can mix/match R1 and FZ1 upper/lower trees; I know for sure that this is the case for 04-06 and 07-08. They both have the same fork diameters, stem diameter, fork c-c width and stem offset. I think stem length slightly different, but it doesn't affect anything. I'd use the open/std nut from the R1 vs. capped nut of the FZ1.

I personally was running an 07 R1 lower triple/stem with an FZ1 top triple.
keeena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:45 PM   #14
Smithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeena View Post
You can mix/match R1 and FZ1 upper/lower trees; I know for sure that this is the case for 04-06 and 07-08. They both have the same fork diameters, stem diameter, fork c-c width and stem offset. I think stem length slightly different, but it doesn't affect anything. I'd use the open/std nut from the R1 vs. capped nut of the FZ1.

I personally was running an 07 R1 lower triple/stem with an FZ1 top triple.
Thank's for the info Keeena.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #15
UnionRep

R1 forks

Ran across this and thought it might be pertinent:

http://fazer1000.yuku.com/topic/3408...ion-Guide.html
UnionRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #16
drae150

Lee:

I have just purchased a set of 07 R1 forks and was interested in getting those 10mm end cap extensions. What is the price on them?
drae150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:07 AM   #17
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Lee's email address is below his username - hes on here often, but you might get a faster response by email.

Thanks for bumping this thread, though! Interesting reading - he's told me all this in person and I now have the AK20/Penske on my Gen II, but I wasn't subscribed to the Gen II sub-forums this time last year!
..a

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #18
Devilsyam
UK Pod Racer

according to specs 03-11 are all 43mm forks wot i need to know for sure is if the 2010 forks fit the gen 2 treez

Www.Devilsyam.Com

(On me 5th FZ1)
Devilsyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:42 AM   #19
eurban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsyam View Post
according to specs 03-11 are all 43mm forks wot i need to know for sure is if the 2010 forks fit the gen 2 treez
Yes they will fit the trees. They are a bit shorter than the FZ pieces and to make the R1 calipers work, you will need either the matched size R1 rotors (which will bolt up to the FZ wheel fine) or caliper spacers to use your stock FZ rotors. Here's Ander's thread on his 09 R1 fork install. http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99427
Same forks as the 10.
06 Shift Red,FCE, PCIII, IM, E Map, AIS removed, Airbox Mod, BMC filter, Smaller Flies, Full Yosh R77 Titanium, 16t, Speedo DRD, Penske 8983, 08 R1 forks and front brakes, Speigler brake lines, Easton EXP bars and risers, Copperdawg Speed Screen, Sargent seat, Givi rack and top case . . . . . . .
eurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:27 PM   #20
jparrie

I've got a set of R1 forks (04-06) and calipers that I would like to install on my Gen2 FZ1. Looking at the brake calipers, it's clear that they are different, but they appear to both be 4 piston calipers with roughly the same piston size.

A couple of questions for anyone who may know:

Is there a noticeable performance difference between the FZ1 and the R1 calipers?

Is the stock FZ1 master cyl OK to use for this setup, or should I try to obtain a R1 master cyl?
jparrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 2 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering