register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 08:40 PM   #1
NewOne

WD-40 reply

This is my reply from WD-40 Company about using WD-40 on my "O" ring chain

WD-40 is a multi-purpose light lubricating oil. The WD-40 will definitely displace and remove the water or moisture from the chain. The "WD" stands for water displacement. It will also act as a rust preventative on any of the metal surfaces. WD-40 will not "dry out" the rubber o-rings. We have found no visible effects on surfaces of rubber, and o-rings. Certain types of rubber will swell under prolonged immersion in WD-40 (this refers to long soaking, and not just a spray).

WD-40 is also a cleaner, it will remove grime, dirt, tape, bumper stickers, and oil. It is possible that if there was a special lubricant in the o-rings, the WD-40 could act as a cleaner and remove that oil. The special lubricant would be replaced with WD-40, which is a light lubricating oil. I'm sure there are more superior, heavy duty (and costly) chain lubes on the market. There are a lot of people that recommend using WD-40 on their chains. Perhaps some experimenting with WD-40 as a water remover and rust preventative, followed by a heavier chain lube, would fit your needs. The bottom line is WD-40 will not harm your o-rings, but it could remove a lubricant previously applied to the chain. (end of e-mail)

My question is now, the special lubricant that WD-40 is removing/replacing, could that be the lubricant inside the "O" rings. Hence the reason for an "o" ring chain?
Old 07-08-2003, 08:45 PM   #2
Wyn
I'm going to the beach.

" My question is now, the special lubricant that WD-40 is removing/replacing, could that be the lubricant inside the "O" rings. Hence the reason for an "o" ring chain?"

I don't think so, that's why there's O rings, to keep the lube in. I think what he's talking about is chain lube that you se to lube your chain. That will be removed if you use WD-40.

But, as in all cases involving WD-40, I defere any and all judgement to Arch!!
Old 07-08-2003, 09:00 PM   #3
hammer
Inside Out

Thanks NewOne -

Great post - thanks for sharing it with us. Can't wait to see what the WD-40 guru's will think about this. Although tempted, I have personally "held-back" from its use, and now have more of the dreaded "questions' that Desmo ribs me about.
Ease-OF-Use Vs. Possible Displacement of Intended Lubricant ?
Old 07-08-2003, 09:52 PM   #4
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

Hammer...WD40 is not going to remove the lube that's sealed behind the O rings if that's your worry. The note seems to indicate that it might remove it, but in my extensive experience with it on chains (and I mean EXTENSIVE) it doesn't.

How am I sure? Well..If it did, then people like me who used it for thousands and thouands of miles would have chains dying premature deaths. Why? Simple, without the grease sealed in by the O ring the chain would wear out in VERY short order.

I am now at 18,000 miles on the FZ1 chain...using almost nothing but WD40. The chain is in top shelf condition. No kinks, no binding, no excessive slack off the back of the sprocket.

In all these miles I've adjusted it THREE times.

Hey, I know people love to fret over stuff related to their bikes. And chain lube is one of those things that people just LOVE to obsess about. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Me? I'll keep using the blue and yellow can I get for .99 cents.

BTW - When I finally replace the chain on the FZ I plan to take it apart and inspect the O rings. Yeah, I'm a sicko.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:14 PM   #5
NewOne

I have written the WD-40 company back and asked for further clarification, I will post in this thread when they write me back. I had to write them twice to get an answer the first time, hopefully it will be more prompt this time.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:57 PM   #6
redneckj

chain lube

this has been run the ground. No where on a can of WD-40 does say chain lube. After you use Honda Red CHAIN LUBE, you wont use anything else. The stuff is ausome and not bad priced at all.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:30 PM   #7
RedondoManiac

I've been using WD for a loooong time, on both bicycles and motorcycles. Never lost a chain. The stuff that says 'chain lube' on the other hand, is a gunky mess that makes a nice abrasive paste when dirt giets on it (and ALL over my back wheeel). Gents, the lubricant and cleaner business is just part of the petroleum products business. They take a batch of product, 'specially formulate' it, place a fancy label on it and have profit margins waaaay up there. Same thing happens in most of the chemical industry (look at the prices of shampoos or soaps, for example--HUGE spread in prices and it's all the same stuff (actually--shampoos come in two fundamental chemical varieties--just add scent)

I'll stick with WD, thanks for the thoughts though.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:34 PM   #8
Rabeet
Administrator

Uh, weren't you using an oiler, Des?
Old 07-08-2003, 11:54 PM   #9
Fizzy1000
resident whack-a-mole

I recently joined the "WD40 for chain" gang and everything's going fine. The chain, rear wheel, & undertail have never been cleaner and I'm happy about that.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:29 AM   #10
firstfz
I'm here to help

Do what makes you happy, do what gives you that nice, warm fuzzy feeling about your pride and joy. Just don't get religion about your choice and decide it's the Right One!

I think WD-40 is likely fine for use as a chain lube, although it probably needs to be applied more often than a good purpose-built chain lube. Like Des said, this is one of the things people LOVE to obsess about.

Me, I've had great experience using WD-40 to clean the chain and following up with Honda red can. I've never had it make a mess, it doesn't seem to attract dirt, but it does stay on the chain. I clean and lube my chain relatively often-- probably inside of 600 miles, although I don't note exact mileages; I look at the chain to see how it's doing. My chain looks perfectly new, as far as I can tell.

I bother with the lube after the WD-40 because just WD-40 doesn't seem to last on the chain as long, especially if it rains. But like I say, if you applied it a little more often, I think WD would do just peachy. I know for a fact if the lube made a mess all over my bike, there's no way I'd use it. I'd just stick withe good 'ole WD-40. Besides, I like the way it smells.

-Tom
Old 07-09-2003, 05:45 AM   #11
CaliDreamin
At the Gap!!

After replacing the rear tire on the FZ I decided to give WD a try. I spent more time cleaning the old chain lube out of the front sprocket area than I did replacing the tire. I know that the WD will keep the bike cleaner. Even though I am sure I over lubed the chain using the specifically formulated stuff, it definitely made a mess. Just thought I would give it a try.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:12 AM   #12
RoadRashed
Faster than a speeding bullet

Quote:
Originally posted by Wyn
[B

But, as in all cases involving WD-40, I defere any and all judgement to Arch!! [/b]
How DARE you..... Desmo is our resident WD-40 expert. Everyone knows that. He even soaked some o-rings for a very long time just for our benefit. Give the man the credit he deserves. Desmo IS Mr. WD-40.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:42 AM   #13
Wyn
I'm going to the beach.

" How DARE you..... Desmo is our resident WD-40 expert. Everyone knows that. He even soaked some o-rings for a very long time just for our benefit. Give the man the credit he deserves. Desmo IS Mr. WD-40."

Well, not anymore. Des dosen't even have a little picture next to his name anymore. Arch, on the other hand, has a little picture next to his name of lots and lots of WD-40.

Now you honestly tell me, who knows more, someone without a picture or someone with a picture of a boat load of WD-40?
Old 07-09-2003, 07:28 AM   #14
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

Re: chain lube

Quote:
Originally posted by redneckj
After you use Honda Red CHAIN LUBE, you wont use anything else.
I used it, was not impressed because it does not appear to last any longer on the chain that WD40 does. Regular price is $8 a can at the Honda shop though I scored one for $4 just to try it.

Last edited by Desmo; 07-09-2003 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:30 AM   #15
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackFZ1
Uh, weren't you using an oiler, Des?
Yep, for maybe 1000 miles I think it was. Then it tried to kill me and I threw it away. You remember that story right?

http://teamiguana.com/Reviews/loobman/index.htm
Old 07-09-2003, 07:55 AM   #16
hammer
Inside Out

Des -- I have to obsess over "chain duty", as it's one of the few maintenance jobs that I know I can't screw up too badly And only an admitted SICKO will be able to get to the bottom of this - please wear out your chain quickly, so it can be torn apart and inspected.

firstfz -- you keep 'sniffin' the chain lube, and your family is going to find you "shakin those peace bones" on the garage floor. Just be CAREFUL
Old 07-09-2003, 08:01 AM   #17
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

Quote:
please wear out your chain quickly, so it can be torn apart and inspected

Im working on it!!!

At this rate, I think I'll get 25k+ miles out of it, so that's gonna be awhile. Likely late 2004 sometime.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:48 AM   #18
mark836

So whats in WD-40 (besides kerosene and some kind of wax?)

I know its a secret recipe, but I know some of you guys must have done molecular studies of the stuff by now,,,,,
Old 07-09-2003, 10:16 AM   #19
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

WD40 states on their web page that WD40 does not contain kerosene. The MSDS states the following -

Aliphatic Petroleum Distillates 60-70%
Petroleum base Oil 15-25%
Carbon dioxide - 2-3%
Non-harzardous Ingredients <10%

In looking around, APDs also are referred to as Kerosene sometimes. It would appear that's the solvent whatever it's other name is.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:02 PM   #20
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally posted by Wyn

Now you honestly tell me, who knows more, someone without a picture or someone with a picture of a boat load of WD-40?
Truth be told the oil tanker of WD was for Des and Nimrod, I'll stick to the drum size.

I also use Honda lube for the rain, otherwise WD-40 does just fine. I knew of one person who washed his chain with a pressure washer, got it real clean but a week later needed a new chain. If WD caused any problem with the seals I think I and many others, would notice within a week or two.

Tanker still on high seas:

Last edited by Architeuthis; 07-09-2003 at 06:53 PM.
Closed Thread

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion