register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 04-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #121
Todd S
I got into RR's pants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kride123 View Post
We used the gentle leader for our nutty nutty mutt. It worked great, but people were very afraid of Sadie, thinking it was a muzzle of some sort. I didn't like that.
That's my issue with it, as well. Misha can open her mouth fine with it -- even hold tennis ball. But it still looks like a muzzle.

-T
Old 04-27-2009, 11:58 AM   #122
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

I dunno, again it seems to be a bandaid to a bigger issue. A properly trained dog
will not pull even if they are attached by a little string.

Oh well.
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #123
Todd S
I got into RR's pants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
I dunno, again it seems to be a bandaid to a bigger issue. A properly trained dog
will not pull even if they are attached by a little string.

Oh well.
I'm with you, Erik. I just don't know how to get the wife to come around. It's kind of a sore spot in the household right now.

-T
Old 04-27-2009, 12:06 PM   #124
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

I hear ya man.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:06 PM   #125
diehli
Gorilla, esoteric

Tell her to quit being a namby-pamby Canadienne and explain to her the purpose and use of the choker collar. I realize the money side of things is more your problem than hers, for the time being, but she's gotta see that a double-digit potential solution is a smarter first step than a quadruple-digit one.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #126
Todd S
I got into RR's pants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehli View Post
I realize the money side of things is more your problem than hers, for the time being, but she's gotta see that a double-digit potential solution is a smarter first step than a quadruple-digit one.
Uh, you lost me on this one, bro.

-T
Old 04-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #127
diehli
Gorilla, esoteric

Choker vs. class.

Don't worry, I texted her.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:14 PM   #128
diehli
Gorilla, esoteric

Kidding, btw.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #129
gixxerjasen

1. Todd, I understand your situation. I tried to crate train our dog but it didn't happen due to other members of the family. Yea, the crate is so bad for her, that tiny little space for such a big dog. What does the dog do? Get down and wriggle and push and scrape to fit her fat ass under the bed. The crate would have been much more roomy.

2. I had read up when we got her regarding the chokers. We went with the prong choker because I'd read about the damage a regular choker will do to their necks. I had dachshunds as a kid and we used a regular choker and I remember them getting so excited and pulling on the thing and wheezing and choking. Schatze never does that with the prong collar, it just presents discomfort to her when she pulls, but she hasn't pulled since she was a puppy. In fact, she pretty much doesn't need the choker anymore, but she associates that with walks and her mood is so high that we still use it.
Past Bikes: 1997 Katana 600-wrecked | 2000 CBR600F4-Stolen | 2001 GSX-R600-Stolen | 1989 Honda CB1-Sold | 2001 Suzuki TL1000R-Traded | 1992 Suzuki Bandit 400-Sold | 2004 Suzuki GSX-R600-Sold | 2007 DR-Z400SM-Traded | 2003 Yamaha FZ1 I-Wrecked | 2003 Yamaha FZ1 II-Sold |

gixxerjasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:21 PM   #130
Todd S
I got into RR's pants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehli View Post
Kidding, btw.
Thank God! You scared the bejeezus out of me...

Jasen, I'm sure glad she was OK with crate-training! Makes life so easy. Heck, Misha still loves her crate, and will go into it herself just to chill out.

-T
Old 04-27-2009, 12:23 PM   #131
diehli
Gorilla, esoteric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd S View Post
Thank God! You scared the bejeezus out of me...
Old 04-27-2009, 01:58 PM   #132
firstfz
I'm here to help

So... is this a preamble for how things will be with kids?

-Tom

SmugMug Epic III pictures
firstfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #133
Todd S
I got into RR's pants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstfz View Post
So... is this a preamble for how things will be with kids?

-Tom
Yeah...apparently I'm not allowed to beat 'em. Ah well...

-T
Old 04-27-2009, 02:08 PM   #134
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

Now with kids I strongly believe in the use of pinch collars!
Old 04-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #135
okaugust
Watch your heads

Quote:
Now with kids I strongly believe in the use of pinch collars!
And crates!
Old 04-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #136
-Dash-
Internet Thug

Todd, get two chokers, one for Misha, and one for Celeste. (One of them should be kind of sexy, Ill leave it up to you to decide which gets that one)

Now for my .02 cents on the training. One of the best techniques we were taught to make the dog pay attention to your speed and direction when walking was what I call the "military march". ('cause i dont have a better name for it)

Essentially you let el doggo get out in front and start pulling, thinking she's the master, when without warning and with as much force as you can muster (dont do this with Celeste around, Im warning you) you pull a 180 and JERK the chain as hard as you can!

Dont be timid! You want Misha's ass to go whipping around as her head is pulled back to you. Now very important: you arent just jerking hard on the leash, you are, as the Master may do when ever he damn well pleases, deciding to change directions. When you jerk the leash, you do so as you are whipping around and walking off in a different direction. This should be a seamless, all-in-one movement. You pay NO ATTENTION to Misha, and give no vocal command! The point is that you are in charge, and she follows.

When she catches up to you, and starts going out in front again and not paying sufficient attention....BAM!!!! 90 degree direction change with integrated VERY HARD jerk, like a army soldier marching...get it? You have to shock her into realizing that you, the love of her life, is walking away, and that she better pay attention or she'll lose you.

Dont look at her, dont call her...you walk, she follows.

PS, if you dont feel at first like maybe you are being too violent, you arent doing it hard enough. It should make you feel a little guilty.
-Dash- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #137
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaugust View Post
And crates!

How could I have forgotten.

And on what DR said. I did that with Ms. 'Mo on more than one occasion. Very effective!
Old 04-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #138
Todd S
I got into RR's pants!

Quote:
How could I have forgotten.

And on what DR said. I did that with Ms. 'Mo on more than one occasion. Very effective!
Don't tell the missus, but I've done it. I should go back and do more of a training run with multiple tugs, though.

-T
Old 04-29-2009, 05:04 AM   #139
TappinZZ
R Spikes Improper attire?

Todd- I used the same basic technique (dash's) of changing direction (180's)with Lucas when he was learning to walk/heel together. I don't really think-unless your just plain "mad" that you have to crank 'em hard but just change which way your headed without any warning-I stepped on his toe more than once inadvertantly though.

The irritating thing was that I wanted to go for a walk but I'd end up going maybe a block on a hard day. I think frequency/regular walking together really improves things the most-you have to keep doing it until Misha just accepts your picking the destination- wish she was closer I'd be happy to take her and Lucas for a stroll together-
TappinZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:17 AM   #140
Glory_and_Fame
Tassie - Land of real Devils

I ride past a popular dog exercise park everyday going to work, and one of the main roads near my suburb is very popular for dog walking. I am absolutely amazed at how many dogs are taking their owners for a walk.
Leads pulled tight with outstretched arm, trying to keep up. Bugger that!
My lab was so good I very rarely had to use a lead at all, she just walked along beside me. I always took one with me and usually only clipped in on when one of these sled-dogs was approaching, not that I was worried about Meg, but about the other dog.
We never had formal obedience training, but having read these posts, I think I must have been doing something right. A choker chain with a sharp tug when needed was obviously very effective.

I'm also amazed about how many dog-walkers stand and wait while their dog either pisses on, and/or stops to sniff every post/tree it passes. A properly trained dog (read as owner) will not do that while on a lead (and a properly trained owner will not allow it). It's not like the dog has a full bladder and has to go, it's just marking.

See the Bombers fly up, up! To win the premiership flag.
Our boys who play this grand old game, Are always striving for Glory_and_Fame!
Glory_and_Fame is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion