click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Parts & Accessories > Gen 2 Parts & Accessories

Old 12-09-2008, 04:56 PM   #1
zamfield

Need Longer Clutch Cable - Any ideas??

Hi Guys... I'm doing a handlebar mod and need to know if anyone has an idea where I can get a longer Clutch cable??

Got the Brake cables coming from Speigler but can't find anyone that has +3 Inch longer Clutch cables.

Any help?
zamfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
Alpha Wolf
Crushing Repli Racer Egos.....

Location: Salinas, Deep within the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia....
Cool

Buy a longer cable.. many places sell them.

3" longer?

What sort of mount are doing??????????/
01 Blue FZ: Bitubo: SBK Rear Shock RaceTech: Fork Springs/Gold Valves CarboTech: CF Front/Rear fenders Yosh C/F Slip On Hole Shot: Jet Kit, Timing Advancer, AIS Eliminator Givi: Rack, E41 Side Cases, E52 Center Case/top rack/backrest Pyramid: DB Windscreen Yamaha: CF Fairing Inserts, 15/44 gearing,Shaved Mud flaps. Hot Bodies: Turn Signal Integrator LP: Flush Mount Front turn indicator lights Bike Master: Superbike Handlebar

Alpha Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
zamfield

Adding fat bars and conversion mount... I'll post pics when I have it completed.
I have the bars on, drilled and cut them - it's not going to be everyone's "Cup of tea" but it's exactly what I was looking for... more upright, slightly back and a softer bend at the wrist.
I've got it set up as a tourer (Givis etc) so want an easier ride with the option to put it back when it's sold.

Back to the cable...

Are these pretty much standard then? As far as the connections at the ends?

How do I know which one to buy as I don't see any measurements on the ones I've seen listed?
Old 12-09-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
Alpha Wolf
Crushing Repli Racer Egos.....

Location: Salinas, Deep within the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia....
The shops I have seen these at list end type and lengths and they make them for you.

Yes these are standard cables. The ends need to be correct that is all.

Call a vendor to see if they have the clutch cable or if they can make one for you.

http://www.motionpro.com/custom/index.php

http://www.cyclepages.com/Category.a...lutch%20Cables

http://www.cyclebrakes.com/Ordering-...ett-Cables.pdf

So you are trying to get more of a Gen bar height?
01 Blue FZ: Bitubo: SBK Rear Shock RaceTech: Fork Springs/Gold Valves CarboTech: CF Front/Rear fenders Yosh C/F Slip On Hole Shot: Jet Kit, Timing Advancer, AIS Eliminator Givi: Rack, E41 Side Cases, E52 Center Case/top rack/backrest Pyramid: DB Windscreen Yamaha: CF Fairing Inserts, 15/44 gearing,Shaved Mud flaps. Hot Bodies: Turn Signal Integrator LP: Flush Mount Front turn indicator lights Bike Master: Superbike Handlebar

Alpha Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:41 PM   #5
zamfield

Ive had the bar risers but wanted to fatten them up as i think the stockers were starting to look "small" in comparison to the rest of the bike with the Givi's, taller screen etc. So....

(Brake lines are "In the mail")

Old 12-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #6
zamfield

Well, I might be onto something here.... found a left over cable in the garage from my Yamaha Warrior... looks to be slightly longer and the connections look to be the same!
Now, my luck is never this good, so I'll let you know if it works over the weekend! LOL!

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:19 AM   #7
wayne

That looks like the way I would like to have mine set up. I love the performance of this bike but as I get older I also like to be comfortable.
06 FZ1, Red. Koako throttle control,Sargent seat, FCE, SW-Motech rear rack, Givi 52L monokey, Ivan's sub-throttle plates and AIS block off plates, Scorpion Carbon Fiber slip on and more to come. Now includes airbox mod with BMC filter and PCV with Ivan's map.
Previous bikes - Harleys, 3 Sportsters, Superglide, Triumph 650 TR6, Hondas, CB750, CB 1000, 750 Magna, Goldwing, SL 350, CR 250, XL 350, 305 Scrambler, Maico 400, Ducati 350 Desmo.
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:55 AM   #8
Roland
Banned

Brilliant mod Zamfield. Looks great.
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:52 PM   #9
trubld

I see I'm not alone on this. I love my '07 except for these cheesy uncomfortable drag bars...WTF was Yamaha thinking? Love your setup.
trubld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:24 PM   #10
zamfield

Thanks guys - it's starting to take shape.

Didn't need to get a longer clutch cable in the end.
I took it out and re-routed it through the hole in the front of the frame, over the ECU chip... still loads of play left in the cable now - not too much, but no binding.

Just waiting for the Spiegler brake lines to come tomorrow, new 14mm bar ends and i'll get her back together and update the pics.

Cheers!

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Parts & Accessories > Gen 2 Parts & Accessories