register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 2 Service & Maintenance

Old 05-18-2007, 03:21 PM   #1
ricoFZ1

FZ1 2006 spark-plug replacement

Hello all,
I need a little help. I've searched all over the web & cannot find a place where it explains the correct (or easy) way to replace the spark-plugs on an FZ01 2006 model.
Pat's FZ1 site provides fenomenal info with pictures and all - however, the 2006 model is configured differently.
If anyone can provide a site or detailed explanation (pics would be a bonus) on how to change the spark plugs on an FZ1 2006 model, I would GREATLY appreciate it.
Thanks.-
ricoFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:27 PM   #2
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

You need to replace them already?

I think if you search for the AIS removal you'll find what you need. May be a good time to remove that at as well.

BTW - this belongs in the Gen 2 section. I'll move it now.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:28 PM   #3
RedFlash

Just replaced mine but they didn't really need to be changed. Des is right, get rid of the AIS & you will have easy access to the plugs.
RedFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:48 PM   #4
BGoodFZ1

Des, the 1st change interval is 8000 miles which is reasonable for an '06.
BGoodFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:24 PM   #5
twag
Mad Mod Syndrome

ricoFZ1, you need to get a service manual. It's invaluable and can help you immensely regarding basic repairs and for understanding your bike
81 Suzuki 550 LX
twag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGoodFZ1
Des, the 1st change interval is 8000 miles which is reasonable for an '06.
Same as the Gen1.

I figured it was...but then I realized I never changed mine till 13k on my FZ.
I swapped mine at 13k and they were in perfect condition.

Hell, my FJR is recommended at 8k for plugs. But...I skipped that too.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:25 AM   #7
faser41

I just changed my plugs on my 06 at 9000+plus miles [not much an opportunity to ride last year] and I'm no auto tech but they all looked the same, and if I were to guess I would have to say the evidence is that the fuel delivery and spark are perfect. Why fix what isn't broken? The Yamaha FZ1, first OR second generation are very well running well made and well designed bikes---to put it mildly! I think for myself I will do only oil/filter changes and chain maintenance and tire care, and to hell with the rest. The machines are not kindly to being worked on because they really don't need to be. BTW you have to remove the whole radiator to change the spark plugs and I can't see why it would be necessary as so soon a date. I like to do things myself if I can, and that isn't always the case, but I feel I know the certain variables to the whole riding experience have been illiminated and then and only then can I look at considering mods. Except suspension that is, I alwaysn like to upgrade my suspensions on all my past bikes.
faser41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:34 AM   #8
ricoFZ1

Thanks for your input. I hear you ~ skipping the 8k mile service, but I would feel more confortable on the road if I do keep up w/ the maintenance schedule. I've got 9k+ miles on mine already.
I'll search about removing the AIS + radiator.
Twag, do you recommend any service manual in particular?
Old 05-19-2007, 11:55 AM   #9
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoFZ1
Thanks for your input. I hear you ~ skipping the 8k mile service, but I would feel more confortable on the road if I do keep up w/ the maintenance schedule. I've got 9k+ miles on mine already.
I'll search about removing the AIS + radiator.
I have the one from Yamaha. ~ $50.00. I ordered it from Desert Valley Powersports http://www.sunnysidemotorcycle.com/.

Ducati 1198S

Faster Red '06, Ivan's Reflash, PCIII, Scorpion Muffler, Lars Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, AIS Plugged, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line Mod

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:06 PM   #10
twag
Mad Mod Syndrome

Quote:
The factory service manual. Part #LIT-11616-19-79.
81 Suzuki 550 LX
twag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:29 PM   #11
Northstreet
Northstreet

I changed the plugs on my 06 this afternoon. I have Ivan's AIS block off plates installed. I simply removed the radiator mount bolts and let it hang on the hoses. Without the AIS it was tight but not bad.

I have a little over 7,000 miles and the old plugs were in great shape. Scratching my head alittle over why the scheduled interval for the is listed at 8,000 miles...
Northstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:10 AM   #12
ricoFZ1

Managed to change the spark plugs & oil + filter this afternoon. It wasn't as hard as I expected, once I found where the coolant drain plug was situated. It was definitely time consuming; however I believe next time should be a breeze. Thanks for your help all.
=)
Old 05-21-2007, 04:23 PM   #13
my06yamaha

What's an AIS? lol
my06yamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:42 PM   #14
TheRepairMan
Certified Master Magician

Quote:
Managed to change the spark plugs & oil + filter this afternoon. It wasn't as hard as I expected, once I found where the coolant drain plug was situated. It was definitely time consuming; however I believe next time should be a breeze. Thanks for your help all.
=)
You need to wash u bike!
It pose to look like iss.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...6_edited-1.jpg

I guess that was the last time I washed mine ...before I did my seat, tail and lights. I still have the same old Spark Plugs.

Dielectric grease information, IMPORTANT! http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...3&postcount=42

Ignition coil information, FYI. http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...0&postcount=26
TheRepairMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:44 PM   #15
la-fz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRepairMan
You need to wash u bike!
It pose to look like iss.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...6_edited-1.jpg

I guess that was the last time I washed mine ...before I did my seat, tail and lights. I still have the same old Spark Plugs.
Your bike looks good and clean!!! How come you put armorall on tires but not the seat??? Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
la-fz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:49 PM   #16
Dek

The service intervals as some of you know are longer in Europe.
The schedule recommends 12k for plug replacement. We use identical plugs of course. I shall change mine, problems excluded, after my summer trip at about 18k.
Dek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:10 AM   #17
Talvez

I changed my plugs at 25000 km. and they looked like they could have got another 10,000.
Talvez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:27 PM   #18
maaaak

I don't understand why Yamaha requires 8,000 mi. intervals. Perhaps because they use lousy plugs for OEM? Some platinum or iridium plugs are designed to go 100,000 miles or more. While most motorcycle engines are higher performance than auto engines they aren't so much harder on plugs that a 100,000 mile plug would only last 8,000 miles.
maaaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:34 PM   #19
mrjcall
Shady Valley Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by maaaak
I don't understand why Yamaha requires 8,000 mi. intervals. Perhaps because they use lousy plugs for OEM? Some platinum or iridium plugs are designed to go 100,000 miles or more. While most motorcycle engines are higher performance than auto engines they aren't so much harder on plugs that a 100,000 mile plug would only last 8,000 miles.
Just turned 10,000 miles on my trusty 06 steed and is running as strong as a garlic milk shake!!! No need to change plugs as this point.

Same with my FJR. I changed plugs to Iridium at 15000 and the original plugs looked perfect!!

I'll check the plugs in another 5000 miles or so, but I'm betting they'll look just fine!
JC
mrjcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:58 PM   #20
lproffer

Speaking of plugs, when I did the AIS mod over the weekend I pulled one plug for a color check. A little too white with a extremely light grey hue. Looks lean, I would much rather be a little rich than lean. Wish I had the bucks to get a custom map.

PCIII, Dek's map, air box mod, BMC air filter, header cat removed, Ivan's throttle plates, FCE, Scorpion can.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 2 Service & Maintenance