register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion

Old 01-11-2007, 07:09 PM   #1
jlewis_02
Dragracer

1st Gen vs 2nd Gen

Done some testing on my 06 compared to my modded 01

1st Gen Mods

24k miles

Holeshot Stage 2 jet kit
+3 advancer
Holeshot Header
Yoshi slip-on
15/47 sprockets (16/44 stock)

2nd Gen Mods

1020 miles

Cut air box

We did roll-ons in 1st,4th,6th gears all from 4k rpm on my 06.
I lost everytime but not by as much as I figured I would maybe 9-10 bike lenghts.

I try to get some vids of the next round of roll-ons.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:21 PM   #2
Brockster
Registered Abuser

I'd love to see how the gen1 would do against my bike with the AB mod, IM, PC3 (Lars Map) and slip-on. I'd think it would be much closer. (I'm not trying to be a dick)
It would be fun to see how much closer with each mod the race becomes.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:37 PM   #3
jlewis_02
Dragracer

Im putting a 16t on it as soon as I can find my socket then ill see how it compares.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:45 PM   #4
Buzzlightgear
recreational user

huh??

Not really any mods to the gen2 compared to the gen1. I've ran stock to stock (06 vs. 03) many times and my gen 2 always comes out on top but just by a bike length or two. I don't think you have really shown anything here.(not to be a dick) They are so close anything will give one or the other an advantage.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:55 PM   #5
bykman
rider of the great corn desert

I also would like to see this "apples to apples" i.e. gen 2 with s/o , ign. module, PcIII, and 16/46 sprockets, think it might be a little different outcome.
bykman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:19 PM   #6
SCROOOSE!!
What the.......

Not to be a dick but JL you have ignited the war again
SCROOOSE!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
mac 1

i raced a dude on a 03 FZ1 with my O6 from a 30-35mph start and blew him away
mac 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:52 PM   #8
Rider
To Bee or not to be....

I'm a dick.....
and I can't ride worth a shit.....
be it on a Gen 1 OR a Gen 2.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:15 AM   #9
RedFlash

We used to have a Pres nicknamed Tricky Dick but I don't think he rides anymore.
RedFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:34 AM   #10
Yamaone

I'm confused, from reading you post, I couldn't tell which bike came out on top jlewis?
I mean you said they were both your bikes and then said we did role on's and I won????????????????
Yamaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:43 AM   #11
JeFFZ1
on the edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaone
I'm confused, from reading you post, I couldn't tell which bike came out on top jlewis?
I mean you said they were both your bikes and then said we did role on's and I won????????????????
Old 01-18-2007, 06:16 AM   #12
jethro
Racoon-slayer

Ditto again.

Which one of your bikes won the roll ons.
2003 Polaris 700XCSP
1995 Polaris 600XLT

"Peace, by superior fire power..."

My bikes: http://www.geoffreysworld.com/The%20Bikes.htm
jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:50 AM   #13
MCGMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro
Ditto again.

Which one of your bikes won the roll ons.
As I read it, the 06 lost.

jlewis_02 first sentence included "06 compared to my modded 01." So the test case was the '06. And later:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewis_02
......on my 06.
I lost everytime ......
jlewis_02 never said he won (as someone else mentioned).
MCGMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:54 AM   #14
jlewis_02
Dragracer

The 01 KILLS the 06 but it was mostly stock I have some more mods now just waiting got warm weather to test some more.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:01 AM   #15
Rider
To Bee or not to be....

What.... am I the only one who thinks the first Gen' and second Gen' are alike in name alone?!?!?! Similar, YES.... but a new model of the 'same bike'?

I'll be honest with you, when I sat on the new model at the International Bike Show, I felt like an old man trying to look/feel like a snot-nosed punk on a squid bike.... albeit a refined squid bike. A fat 53 year old on an '07 FZ1 is just mixed signals..... but I can get away with being seen on my first Gen'.

Sorry, somebody had to say it.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:23 AM   #16
gnd111

Why are they not killing the 2nd Gens at the drag strip where RWTQ is at a premium...???...

I would say with the gearing the 1st Gen had + -1 / +3 (man that is a roll on moster) he should beat you!

USN Retired
IYAOYAS

gnd111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:28 AM   #17
jlewis_02
Dragracer

My goal for my 06 is to get 10.50s on motor and 9s with a turbo or nitrous.
My best on motor on my 01 is 10.80@127 with a DA of 4600ish.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:52 AM   #18
PFG
Like that when I found it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bykman
I also would like to see this "apples to apples" i.e. gen 2 with s/o , ign. module, PcIII, and 16/46 sprockets, think it might be a little different outcome.
I think a true "apples to apples" is either stock versus stock, or equal amounts of money spent on each bike.

Modding a Gen2 till it beats a stock Gen1 is not "apples to apples". Likewise, a modded Gen1 against a stock Gen2 is not a true comparison.

Last edited by PFG; 01-18-2007 at 08:07 AM.
PFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:56 AM   #19
gnd111

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewis_02
My goal for my 06 is to get 10.50s on motor and 9s with a turbo or nitrous.
My best on motor on my 01 is 10.80@127 with a DA of 4600ish.
You can get 9's with a 30 shot i would bet. You are doing very well on that bike so far!

USN Retired
IYAOYAS

gnd111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:09 AM   #20
Alpha Wolf
Crushing Repli Racer Egos.....

Location: Salinas, Deep within the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia....
Cool

Firstly..

I find these G2 vs G1 post generate more tension and ass hat posts than most other things here.. People are usually extremely defensive regarding "their bike".

We all know these are two different bikes....

The Gen 1 was created for guys/gals like me. Older, who's neck wrist and back will not take the torture rack positioning of the R1 but how wants as much power, speed and handling of the R1 less the pain... While I would not say it was a perfect bike (no bike is) and so I have tweaked it to where now it truely matches my needs. Racing is not one of my top priorities with this bike. I do ride fast when I feel like. Fast enough on the old bike to leave all my other riding buddies on their pure RR bikes behind so I need to be able to go faster why? My bike is fast enough for me.. If you need more, that is great, go for it.

Flashback....

Yamaha felt it was not getting sales winning press regarding naked bike shoot outs in magazines who are run by racer types who hold handling and speed as the main factors in judging a bike. So when my 2001 came out there were only about 7 production bikes with more power and these were serious bikes and so it was raved about by the Mags. Yamaha was happy. I bought my first new bike in a decade... All was good..

Fast Forward to 2005:
To combat the Gen 1 FZ, rival makers basically take their sport bikes and remove some plastic and bolt on a handle bar instead of the clip ons. 5 years is forever in bike development and time stands still for no bike, no matter how good it was when new. Yamaha felt it needed a more R1 ish bike to compete with these other naked RepliRacers the other makers are marketing. Also to attract younger buyers to the FZ1 they go with a more aggressive sport bike design, not along the lines of the orginal 1200 Bandit, the bike that really restarted this whole UJM naked bike. Comfort, performance, lower costs..
  • Out goes the smooth throttle carbs
  • Out goes the stiff but heavier steel tube frame for a nice pretty aluminum frame that looks like the RR bikes frames.
  • Out goes fully functional standard forks for 1/2 function forks that look like the current RR forks.
  • Out goes nearly an inch of suspension travel
  • Out goes nearly a gallon of gas to make room for down draft FI. Also this action removes nearly 6 lbs from the bikes wet weight but looses 40 miles in range.
  • Out goes the 74ft/lbs Gen 1 R1 motor for new higher strung R1 motor with higher peak horsepower.
  • Out goes the relaxed riding position for a more aggessive track oriented one.

So why does everyone want to compare the apple to the orange.

Do these changes ruin the bike? That depends on you the rider... For what you need and want out of your bike. I am sure with enough mods and fixes the G2 will be a faster track bike and hence will look better in the these mag comparisons.

Do these changes make it a better bike for me? No, hence why after 6 years of bliss and 37,000 miles I did not trade in my trusty 01 for a new 06/07.

Does that mean the Gen 2 sucks? No. It means that these changes were made to target the bike to a different demographic than me. The Gen 1 was aimed directly at me.

The Gen 1 is way more relaxed riding position and way more lower end grunt than the Gen 2. I sat on the Gen 2 at both my dealer and at the Int'l Motorcycle show and found it to be way too uncomfortible for me. So I will be keeping my Gen 1. Right now, if my bike is totalled, I would try to get a new 05 or the New Bandit 1200 which still has a steel frame and a riding position that nearly exactly matches my 01 FZ's. My wrists felt the same on the Gen 2 as it did on the 07 R1. So if was going for a solo ride with better performance and since both will hurt my wrists and neck, I would go with the faster R1. But since balls out performance is not what I rate highest I will have neither in my garage. Wifey would not get on the R1. She also confirmed the Gen 2 is no where near as comfy as my Gen 1 so she would not vote for the switch.

The Gen 2 owners are a bit sensitive as their version did not arrive to the praise the Gen 1 did. It has some problems. There are reasons for these like tighter emissions, higher HP/lighter competition to keep up with etc... Ivan has already gone a long way into making these problems go away. Making this Gen a nice bike to ride.

Both are great bikes....
Both have advantages over the other... they are not the same bike...

Be happy and enjoy your bike regardless of which Gen it is....

01 Blue FZ: Bitubo: SBK Rear Shock RaceTech: Fork Springs/Gold Valves CarboTech: CF Front/Rear fenders Yosh C/F Slip On Hole Shot: Jet Kit, Timing Advancer, AIS Eliminator Givi: Rack, E41 Side Cases, E52 Center Case/top rack/backrest Pyramid: DB Windscreen Yamaha: CF Fairing Inserts, 15/44 gearing,Shaved Mud flaps. Hot Bodies: Turn Signal Integrator LP: Flush Mount Front turn indicator lights Bike Master: Superbike Handlebar

Alpha Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion