register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Parts & Accessories > Gen 2 Parts & Accessories

Old 10-18-2006, 02:34 PM   #1
jcbell

California Scientific Windscreen

I have been working with Mark at CalSci for a while now trying to get a larger, better performing screen for the FZ1. We have been through quite a few revisions and have come up with the following screen pictured below.

Now if you don't like the way it looks, don't buy it or comment on it. I think it looks good for what it does and how it performs. I am 6'0" tall and this screen gets the wind to the top of my face shield and has no buffetting. It results in a fairly quite ride with no turbulence.

The screen has grown into what it is now, because originally I wanted something only slightly taller than stock. Soon I realized that I am a function over form type of person and the screen got taller and wider. The one pictured is the largest he will be making right now, but he may possibly offer one that is 1-2" taller at a later date.

The shorter screen was just a waste of time becuase it did not effectively move the air to a good spot. I feel that this may be the case with the yamaha touring screen. Yes, it is taller, but with how low the front fairing sits on the FZ1, it just isn't tall enough and really only improves air flow a fraction.

For people that log a lot of miles on their FZ1, this screen will work well for you. Especially if you 5'10" and below. If you are over 6'0" call and talk to Mark before ordering one. It does not look that bad on the bike and if you are worried about "ruining the lines" on the bike, just go ride it cause you can't see the lines when you are riding!!

Here is the website:
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FZ1prod.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front_Left_View_small.jpg (68.9 KB, 2246 views)
File Type: jpg Front_View_small.jpg (68.9 KB, 2225 views)
File Type: jpg Side_View_small.jpg (84.9 KB, 2210 views)
jcbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
FZDean

Another photo

I'd like to see a picture with the driver sitting on the bike on its centerstand to get persective?
FZDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 05:10 PM   #3
chosek
Who Me ??

I just purchased a screen from Cal Sci for my FJR, and I have to say that it has exceeded my expectations.
I am able to ride at 100 kmh plus with my flip face helmet open and no wind on my face.
Its made a world of difference to my riding.
The only downside is that its larger than the stock screen.
I recommend them.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
Wilcon
Fulltime dreamer.

Huuuuuuuumungous.

Check out my latest features and stories on www.2wheelsandamotor.com and www.rideapart.com
Wilcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 06:45 PM   #5
stmoluni
Stee-Mo-Loo-Nee

It's big, but it picks up the lines of the fairing pretty well. Glad it works for you!
stmoluni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:55 PM   #6
fz1-dude
Thier coming right at us !!!

Plus any good glass place should be able to cut it down some if thats what someone wants.
fz1-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:58 AM   #7
jcbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz1-dude
Plus any good glass place should be able to cut it down some if thats what someone wants.
He makes the screen in 2 different sizes so you should probably be able to order what you want from him directly.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:03 AM   #8
jcbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZDean
I'd like to see a picture with the driver sitting on the bike on its centerstand to get persective?
This is with the camera at the same height as the top of the gas tank. And I am 6'0" tall. The screen in this picture is an earlier revision, but the height is the same as the one being sold now as the tall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rev1 Side1_small.jpg (113.2 KB, 2099 views)
Old 10-19-2006, 07:05 AM   #9
async
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbell
I have been working with Mark at CalSci for a while now trying to get a larger, better performing screen for the FZ1. We have been through quite a few revisions and have come up with the following screen pictured below.

Now if you don't like the way it looks, don't buy it or comment on it. I think it looks good for what it does and how it performs. I am 6'0" tall and this screen gets the wind to the top of my face shield and has no buffetting. It results in a fairly quite ride with no turbulence.

The screen has grown into what it is now, because originally I wanted something only slightly taller than stock. Soon I realized that I am a function over form type of person and the screen got taller and wider. The one pictured is the largest he will be making right now, but he may possibly offer one that is 1-2" taller at a later date.

The shorter screen was just a waste of time becuase it did not effectively move the air to a good spot. I feel that this may be the case with the yamaha touring screen. Yes, it is taller, but with how low the front fairing sits on the FZ1, it just isn't tall enough and really only improves air flow a fraction.

For people that log a lot of miles on their FZ1, this screen will work well for you. Especially if you 5'10" and below. If you are over 6'0" call and talk to Mark before ordering one. It does not look that bad on the bike and if you are worried about "ruining the lines" on the bike, just go ride it cause you can't see the lines when you are riding!!

Here is the website:
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FZ1prod.html

Dude... just go buy an FJR
async is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:18 AM   #10
jcbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by async
Dude... just go buy an FJR
As I said earlier, if you do not like it, don't buy it or comment on it.

Why would I want to buy a bike that is heavier, slower and doesn't handle as well?? I wanted a taller windscreen to make riding the bike more comfortable. In no way have I changed the characteristics of why I bought the bike in the first place. This bike will go from cruising the super slab comfortably to a track day without blinking a headlight. That is what I bought it for and that it what it does.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:32 AM   #11
jethro
Racoon-slayer

I think it is great. I like how it looks, might need it to be my winter screen.

How much is it?
2003 Polaris 700XCSP
1995 Polaris 600XLT

"Peace, by superior fire power..."

My bikes: http://www.geoffreysworld.com/The%20Bikes.htm
jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:46 AM   #12
NY-VMAX-JOE
New Vmax too much money

It's jurastic.

Glad it works for ya.
NY-VMAX-JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:02 AM   #13
jcbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro
How much is it?
$185. There is a link in my original post.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:56 AM   #14
PJFZ1
Doing the jig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbell
This is with the camera at the same height as the top of the gas tank. And I am 6'0" tall. The screen in this picture is an earlier revision, but the height is the same as the one being sold now as the tall.
JC!! get some gear on, ya squid!

Thanks for putting forth the effort in getting it done!

I'd insert something witty here, but just don't have it at the moment.. add bourbon and please stand by!

sportbikes4hire.com

http://www.sportbikes4hireshop.com/
PJFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:30 AM   #15
jcbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJFZ1
JC!! get some gear on, ya squid!
I knew someone would say something;)

My normal riding gear is my aerostich, alpinstar boots and gloves, and my schuberth helmet. It's the best combo I've found to date.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:09 AM   #16
Yarddog
Hooked For Life

i contacted Mark over a yr. ago about making screens for the FZ1 and he came on here to ask for someone to come by with a test bed for measuremnts.

i see he has Gen 1's listed but not '01, wouldn't the '05 work for everything before that ?

this is just about exactly what i accomplished with the bar mount NationalCycle screen, but this would be alittle further foward, and more exspensive, but i can see far more people being interested in it.

steve
Old 10-25-2006, 08:39 AM   #17
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Can you tell me about the luggage and the mounting system (what, where, how much???). I'd be interested in the windscreen for winter riding too. Thanks.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:46 AM   #18
lproffer

Looks like a nice winter windscreen. Have you ever considered what would happen to your back if you were rear ended? The setup looks very functional other than that.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:44 AM   #19
runamok27

It looks okay. From my experience on the 06, most of the turbulence is coming from the bottom of the screen from the sides. While you are riding, reach out and put your hand next to the bottom of the screen and block the wind that is coming between the mirror and the bottom of the screen and the turbulence is greatly reduced. That is why I am really interested in the Yamaha touring screen.

This screen appears to take it to the next level and provide added protection up top. Great for touring, not so good/necessary for canyon carving. I give it a 10 for touring/commuting/winterriding and a 4 for sport riding.

Also, since I am only 5'7", are they thinking of making one that is shorter? With the stock screen the wind hits me in the chin bar/bottom of the faceshield so a screen that is 2-4 inches taller than stock would be perfect (I believe that the Yamaha screen is 4 inches taller). The thing that I like about this screen better than the Yamaha screen is that it is wider at the bottom and keeps that width going up but it is definitely too tall.
runamok27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:39 PM   #20
jcbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar
Can you tell me about the luggage and the mounting system (what, where, how much???). I'd be interested in the windscreen for winter riding too. Thanks.
The box is an E30 Givi. I made the mount from aluminum and steel flat stock. I think if you search on Givi in the parts section you will find more info on it. Actually I found the post.

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51707

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Parts & Accessories > Gen 2 Parts & Accessories