register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 07-02-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
2001FZ1
Suzuki GSXR-1000

My dog just ate a box of Decon rat poison.......

I'm not sure how long ago it happened (probably 30min to 1 hour) but I called our vet and she told us to give it 4tbs of peroxide. It didn't take long and he was vomiting.......several times. A large amount of Decon came up, just a little smaller than a tennis ball in size. My wife and I had to old him down and use a tooth brush to get the decon out of his teeth...........that sure was fun, let me tell ya.

We are taking the 110lb monster to the Vet. in the morning. Wish us luck!
BTW, Moto is about 18months old ~ Black Lab / Chesapeake Bay Retriever mix

Here are a couple of pictures.
1. A shot of the cut he recieved after the 70lb Pitbull mix kicked his butt
2. My wife making the dogs beg for treats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moto.jpg (90.6 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg Moto 1.jpg (91.5 KB, 211 views)
2001FZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:00 PM   #2
wArDoG
FYYFFYB

Geez Joe

Good luck tomorrow.
wArDoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:06 PM   #3
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

Ms Desmo did this on Christmas eve last year. Found it under the water heater at
my parents place. My dad was SURE he'd gotten rid of it.

I was off to the emergency room at 9pm.

They induced vomiting, and gave her a shot of Vitamin K1, and then gave me k1 pills to give her for a month.

Rat poison is evil stuff. It blocks the bodies production of K1 and that's what allows blod to clot.
Without it the animal will hemorage internally and bleed to death internally. It is a horrendous death.

I would not be able to wait till tomorrow....but I guess the vet knows best.
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:12 PM   #4
sparrow
Label free and loving it.

Beautiful Lab Joe. Hope everything works out ok.
sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:14 PM   #5
5lv
bimdog

I take 6mg of that shit every day for the rest of my life.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:21 PM   #6
Barb

Yes, it's similar to Coumadin people take in minute doses to prevent clotting when they are at risk of clots after heart problems, strokes, etc.

Vitamin K is the antidote. Apparently the vet knows you will have time to get that started. I am not sure about that. It's good you got a lot of it out. Probably the bleeding time will be tested by a blood test for monitoring first.
Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:25 PM   #7
2001FZ1
Suzuki GSXR-1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo
Ms Desmo did this on Christmas eve last year. Found it under the water heater at
my parents place. My dad was SURE he'd gotten rid of it.

I was off to the emergency room at 9pm.

They induced vomiting, and gave her a shot of Vitamin K1, and then gave me k1 pills to give her for a month.

Rat poison is evil stuff. It blocks the bodies production of K1 and that's what allows blod to clot.
Without it the animal will hemorage internally and bleed to death internally. It is a horrendous death.

I would not be able to wait till tomorrow....but I guess the vet knows best.
I was thinking we should take him in tonight too but the Vet said that if we could get him vomitting several times and didn't see any more pieces of the Decon, he could wait 'till morning. My wife plans on having him there at 8am when the Vet's office opens. The Decon was mainly intact ~ not disolved much at all. So I guess that was the basis for her decision. She is a friend and knows how much my wife likes her dogs so we trust her.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:38 PM   #8
Joe Average

dogs will definitely eat large amounts of dcon. fortunately, dcon prods have very low acute toxicity. rats have to eat it day after day for anticoagulant effects to be seen. plus they don't weigh 110 lbs. inducing emesis is the right thing to do in larger ingestions in dogs. takes 48hrs for any effect to be seen. usually you want to check a pt/inr before initiating vit k therapy. if most often isn't necessary. you can't check coags after initiating therapy.

Last edited by Joe Average; 07-02-2006 at 08:05 PM.
Joe Average is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:42 PM   #9
Barb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Average
dogs will definitely eat large amounts of dcon. fortunately, dcon prods have very low acute toxicity. rats have to eat it day after day for anticoagulant effects to be seen. plus they don't weigh 110 lbs. inducing emesis is the right thing to do in larger ing in dogs. takes 48hrs for any effect to be seen. usually you want to check a pt/inr before initiating vit k therapy. if most often isn't necessary. you can't check coags after initiating therapy.
Joe, you are the man we needed here. Didn't think you did animal advice too but I guess it is similar. Thanks for helping out.
Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:43 PM   #10
Joe Average

no prob. we specialize in people but get this call all the time. the aspca does have an animal poison center. follow up with vet, but i woudn't be concerned about this ingestion in an otherwise healthy dog. good luck.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:48 PM   #11
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

I knew I should have called you instead!!!

Old 07-02-2006, 07:49 PM   #12
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

FWIW - I don't recall what brand Ms. Desmo ate that night, but the vet said that dogs that have eaten rat poison show virtually no symptoms until it's basically to late....and when they come in a few days later it's bad news.

Whaddya say D?

Last edited by Desmo; 07-02-2006 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:00 PM   #13
Joe Average

if it's the most common type of rodenticide, then it's what's called a long acting anticoagulant. like the kind of med barb was talking about. like i said, these prods have low acute toxicity but dog's will eat a whole box and can become anticoagulated. with resonably promt decontamination, this shouldnt be a problem and like you said, vit k is a very effective antidote. i suppose if the dog didn't get vet care, it's possible for an ing to be lethal. there are other prods like gopher baits that are very toxic even in acute ingestions.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:27 AM   #14
2001FZ1
Suzuki GSXR-1000

Joe Average Thanks for coming in on this thread. I just checked on him and the dog is doing fine. He is a very healthy dog, dumber than a box of rocks though.

I'll let you guys know in a couple hours what the Vet. says.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:10 AM   #15
PJFZ1
Doing the jig!

Good luck, Joe!
Old 07-03-2006, 06:26 AM   #16
Bill A
ˇdn ,uıʞool sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Average
dogs will definitely eat large amounts of dcon. fortunately, dcon prods have very low acute toxicity. rats have to eat it day after day for anticoagulant effects to be seen. plus they don't weigh 110 lbs. inducing emesis is the right thing to do in larger ingestions in dogs. takes 48hrs for any effect to be seen. usually you want to check a pt/inr before initiating vit k therapy. if most often isn't necessary. you can't check coags after initiating therapy.
When you take him in to have his coags checked, take the dcon package with you.

"dcon" is kind of a generic term, like "kleenex", that refers to all rodent poisons, but diffierent products use diffierent chemicals, and the Vet will need to know which one your dog ingested.

Most commercial rat baits are well tolerated by dogs (especially large dogs), and most dogs get along fine after eating them.

But when my dog ate some dcon last year, even knowing this, i performed a Vit K treatment just to be sure

Bill A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:29 AM   #17
Dirtgrain
Two Strikes

Good luck. I'm going to do a double-check sweep of my house and garage, just to be sure nothing dangerous is lurking. My dog will eat anything.
Dirtgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 07:44 AM   #18
2001FZ1
Suzuki GSXR-1000

My wife just called and the dog is doing good..........fighting with the other dogs like normal. The Vet. check him out and said that we must have gotten a majority of the poison out of the dog before his body had time to digest much of it. The Vet. also said that if he did digest a large portion, his eyes would have been bleeding a little bit by now. We have to give the dog 4 vitamin K tablets everyday for a while but he should be just fine.

If any of you have pets, hid that posion in a better spot than I did. It took 2 months, but the dogs found it in the garage. Or just use the old snap traps. I have killed 9 mice with those in the last two months.....
Old 07-03-2006, 07:52 AM   #19
Alley Oop
This cat's name is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5lv
I take 6mg of that shit every day for the rest of my life.
That was my thought. Fortunately, I'm not there, yet. Just all my old folks.

Glad puppy's fine.
Alley Oop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:39 AM   #20
Steve-S

I love that breed !

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion