register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 04-13-2006, 07:55 PM   #1
2001FZ1
Suzuki GSXR-1000

bad Mass Air Flow Sensor......maybe??? Chevy Silverado

2000 Chevy Silverado 4x4
34,500miles, 5.3 V-8, automatic
Air filter is new, good plugs/wires

Ok here is what this truck is doing now. I drive the store say 15 miles away and then shut the truck off for a short period of time. When I start the engine again 10mins later, it acts normal. I roll through the parking lot and the engine is normal. I begin to pull out onto the road and the engine will miss very bad and almost stall out. I'll press on the gas pedal to keep it going and after 2-4 seconds, the engine roars back to life and the truck accelerates hard like it should. I can then go full throttle and run it all the way to redline with out missing a beat. The truck will then be normal for a while. This engine miss, lack of fuel, or what ever it is happens randomly but ONLY at very slow speeds when I am trying to accelerate.

Mass air flow sensor or what?
Can you clean this sensor or do I just spend the $150 on a new one?

Thanks guys!
2001FZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:18 PM   #2
CHEFZ1
Formerly "FZ1Rookie"

Do you have a check engine light on yet? If so run to pep boys or autozone and they will read the code. Anything can throw a code, but the mass air or crank sensor will definately throw codes. Sounds like it might be a bad crank sensor. Plugs and wires are ok right? right. What's the weather like there? Rainy lately? Getting progressively worse or first time? Clogged fuel filter, tank of bad gas. If there are no codes I would go with the latter. That truck must sit alot with such low miles...Good Luck
02' Silver, Akrapovic Slip-on, Ivan's Carb Kit, Ivan's AIS Kit, Crossover manifold, "Fizzy" Mirrors, Michelin Pilot Powers, 15/47's, K&N, Gehling Crash Bars, SW-Motech Risers, MRA Vario Windscreen, Proton LED Flushmounts, Clear Alternatives Integrated Rear LED.

"Soup puts the heart at ease, calms down the violence of hunger, eliminates the tension of the day, and awakens and refines the appetite." Auguste Escoffier
CHEFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:55 AM   #3
GlassGuy
Ever been in a Turkish prison?

Intermittent problems are the worst. Unfortunately, my advice would be to live with it until you can reliably repeat the condition. Then you can troubleshoot the problem. Hopefully if you talk to enough people about it, someone who's had the same problem can pipe in and help you earlier.

Jeremy
GlassGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 02:51 AM   #4
DTfz
Super Duty

You can clean the sensor. I had to do it in order to get my check engine light to go off for my emission test last year. It should be located in the air intake before the filter, at least mine was (99 Windstar). I'd at least give it a try before doing anything else, it can't hurt. Just spray some brake cleaner or something similar on it and dry it with compressed air.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:27 AM   #5
2001FZ1
Suzuki GSXR-1000

FZ1Rookie
1. Check engine light on? No
2. Plugs/wires look good. If they were bad, I would think the miss would be there all the time and especially at high RPMs
3. Weather has been dry when the problem happens
4. Fuel filter replaced 3,000 miles ago and I always fill up the gas tank at the same place.
5. It has only happened 4 times over two days ~ 40 miles of driving
6. I bought the truck 6 months ago with 29,800miles.

I'll try cleaning it, thanks DTfz

and yes, intermittent problems suck
Old 04-14-2006, 04:57 AM   #6
unabiker

Go to Otterzone and have them do a scan.
It does not necessarily have to be suffering from the ailment at the time. Trouble codes, especialy those involving sensors and whatnot, will be stored in the computer for something like 100 or 200 starts.
The problem you describe could be a MAF issue...could also be a lot of other sensors (O2, crank pos'n), could be wires, could be ingition module...lots of stuff.
A quick scan don't cost nuttin and could potentialy save you a lot of time.
unabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:12 AM   #7
5lv
bimdog

Of course if it were my truck with my luck it would be the fuel pump. At $500+ ****ing quatloos, it's always the fuel pump.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:26 PM   #8
2001FZ1
Suzuki GSXR-1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5lv
Of course if it were my truck with my luck it would be the fuel pump. At $500+ ****ing quatloos, it's always the fuel pump.
looks like it is the fuel pump............

This morning I cleaned the MAF sensor with some carb cleaner and then drove to work, did some driving around town stopping at several places and then drove 30 miles to pick up a new trailer. The whole time the the truck is running good. When I get the where the trailer is I notice a high pitched wine coming from under the truck about where the fuel tank is.............

Calling around on Monday to see if anyone can replace it ASAP. I'm heading to the Gap next friday and I need the truck to hual the GSXR and the two Ninjas down.

I would think those guys at Delphi making $65,000 a year could produce a pump that would last longer than 35,000miles.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:57 PM   #9
2001FZ1
Suzuki GSXR-1000

Well, I just got the truck back from the Chevy dealer. They said, "The pump isn't making noise now, it has good pressure and good flow. We do not recommend replacing it. Come back when it is making the noise and we will check the pressure and flow again."

I did get some recall work done while it was there. BTW, the truck hasn't acted up in a couple days...........
Old 04-17-2006, 07:19 PM   #10
unabiker

Maybe check around on some Chevy Silverado forums to see if there are other who have had fuel pump issues with the similar truck.
I would feel a bit uneasy leaving for a long trip with a sketchy fuel pump, regardless of what the dealer says. It would totaly suck balls if the fuel pump crapped out with a loaded up trailer out in the middle of nowhere.
I guess you could carry a spare with you and be prepared to drop the fuel tank on the side of the road to replace the pump if necessary.
unabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:04 PM   #11
Slider
FZ1 Hooligan

Chevrolet vans and trucks are bad about fuel pumps failing. I have seen this happen with very low mileage vehicles on more than a few occasions.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:55 PM   #12
Drewman
Thunderbolt, white group

Fuel pumps aren't usually intermittent, but could be. They do make a whining sound even when they're working properly. Maybe if the fuel level was low it would be more noticeable than when full because it's submerged in fuel.

I've seen way too many "mechanics" that were nothing more than parts replacers. They keep replacing parts until the hit the right one. This is a waste of time and money. You need to find a real mechanic who knows what he (she) is doing. Don't go by the amount of money they spend on tools either because I know two guys that have a fortune in fancy diagnostic tools but routinely have their butt kicked by the simplest things. If anyone ever tells you the computer needs to be replaced, go elsewhere - they are admitting they don't know what they are doing and they're out of parts to replace. Any time I had to replace a part, I could show the customer: "this is the part that is bad and I know it's bad because I performed the test outlined in the service manual and it failed".

A very handy tool for a good mechanic is a scan tool with a recording feature. They can hook it up to your computer and leave it to record various signals and then go drive the truck. They may ask to keep it for a few days until it acts up again. They'll run errands with it, drive it to lunch, drop off the day's receipts at the bank, all in an effort to catch it right when it screws up and then it's all been recorded for analysis.

Also, find a mechanic that has access to the factory service bulletins. If this is a problem on several of the Chevy trucks, GM will have researched the problem and have a fix for it. Here is an example: I worked with a guy (at a new job after I left the garage) that had a Corvette. The Check Engine Light kept coming on with Mass Airflow Sensor code set. His mechanic put FIVE mass airflow sensors on it. Then they said the computer was bad and had to be replaced. I told him not to go back there and find a real mechanic. He did. The new mechanic looked up the symptoms in the GM service bulletins and found out that the Corvettes had a problem with the mass airflow burn-off relay. Ten minutes in a book and the problem was solved. They aren't always this easy, but what if yours was? Would you want to waste that much time and money on blindly replacing parts?

My last two bits of advice. Just because a code says "MAF" or "TPS" or whatever fault does not necessarily mean that the sensor involved is bad. It means the whole circuit involved with that sensor has a problem and needs to be diagnosed. It could be a bad wiring connection just as well as a bad sensor. Also, consider if a fault code is the result of some other malfunction that is the real culprit.
Drewman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion