register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering

Old 04-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #341
DPNonafiz
2 wheeled idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenRider View Post

Replacement bushings are cheap, the lower fork leg was nearly $300 my cost as a shop owner with an account with the stealer that is lower than on line prices.

JM2C
why do you call them "stealer " then ?
DPNonafiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #342
RavenRider
Old But Not Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPNonafiz View Post
why do you call them "stealer " then ?
Pretty simple.

As a general public consumer, YOU get to pay full price.

I, as a shop owner get a very nice discount from the "dealer" due to the "volume" of sales I bring to the table.
Our shop runs over $2000 across their desk every month. Some months 2X - 3X that figure.
This month to date I have over 10K in parts on order just for suspension "PARTS" from Traxxion Dynamics.

Volume is the key.

And they are still making money off of every item, even after the discount.
To be totally honest, they have too. Over head costs to operate "ANY" business today is off the chart. Just our building payment and property taxes on a commercial location in a small city are just over 2 Gs a month.
Traxxion Dynamics Installation & Service - Minnesota
651-304-7286
RavenRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #343
RDWARRIOR102

I was wondering if its okay to install a set of front springs I got on ebay awhile back. They are .95kg springs I believe.Then your recomended front syspension upgrade transformation should be quicker for me to do as I ride two up now on my 2004-FZ1. Im on a very tight budget now and I should have taken care of the pogo front syspension on my beloved FZ1 awhile back. I have progressive springs and gold valves on my 2007 Roadliner S and a progressive shock and spring out back and that bike is just perfect as far as syspension performance and feel for a cruiser. I just also got done with my 2011 Camaro RS syspension and frame mods and that is also a world difference in handeling now. Problem was I was not using the FZ1 that much. Now Im using it alot more finnally and I can see the front end syspension is the biggest culprit with no feed back to me. But now the more important financial matters cropped up and money is tight. I have about $300.00 to spare, so im thinking a slightly stiffer spring out back on my FZ (or a 07 up R6 rear shock and springset up) and the stiffer springs out front with the 2.5wt oil you recomend and oil height. Then maybe next rideing year I can get the gold valves in the front and send out my stock rear shock for revalveing. So would this be a good start for me? Thanks.

2012- (Yellow with Black strips Covertable SS Camaro, RS,2SS package, 6SP manual, now the mods begin to my new toy.)
RDWARRIOR102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:17 AM   #344
RavenRider
Old But Not Slow

The springs will help a lot.
Personally I am not a big fan of the Gold Valves. I have installed them on request, but the revalve set from Traxxion is a much better option for about the same cost.
At the rear, install a set of dog bones (as discribed). That will help over-all handling until you can get the shock rebuilt/revalved.
651-304-7286
Old 07-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #345
RDWARRIOR102

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenRider View Post
The springs will help a lot.
Personally I am not a big fan of the Gold Valves. I have installed them on request, but the revalve set from Traxxion is a much better option for about the same cost.
At the rear, install a set of dog bones (as discribed). That will help over-all handling until you can get the shock rebuilt/revalved.
I just got a awsome deal on a never used R6 shock. When I get it delivered Ill install the front race tech 95kg springs and R6 shock and I happen to have a Hole shot lowering and raiseing links on my bike already which Ill probably use the raise hole setting since the R6 shock is 6m shorter. Im looking forward to this set up.

2012- (Yellow with Black strips Covertable SS Camaro, RS,2SS package, 6SP manual, now the mods begin to my new toy.)
Old 07-29-2012, 06:02 AM   #346
RDWARRIOR102

Well Im in love with my GEN I FZ1 all over again. I had four FZ1's ,three GEN I,s and one GEN II. This is by far the best rideing and handleing FZ1 I had. I installed the 08-R6 skock with my Hole shot lowering links at the lowest hole to slightly raise the back end and also did the Ravens front end mod at the same time , except I used the Racetech .95KG springs. After setteling on the rear preload at #4 and the front preload at three rings showing, Im pretty ,okay, VERY happy with the way my FZ1 rides and Handles now. The R6 shock I would not replace with a so called upgrade, but maybe, just maybe ill get the front full Racetech inners done next year now that im hooked on how much better the cheapi syspension mods did to this already great bike. I rode 356 miles today and just could not get off my FZ1. Im already live in the mountians so I tested all the types of roads. I can ride at a fast pace, for me and I still got 51.5MPG ,LOL. Whats fuel inj any way? I got about $5,750.00 total dollars into this bike and I would be hard pressed to find a better all around standard bike for ME out there. A 5.6 gal fuel tank, all day compy, 51.5 MPG on a easy cruise, low maintance,a GPS,T 167-171MPH, ( depending on wind) top end. I have had 27 bikes since 1973, these GEN I FZ1'S are the best in my opinion, dollar for dollar, .Thanks for the up grade syspension ideas guys.Every one pat themselves on the back

Old 03-02-2014, 04:26 PM   #347
jono399

Hello everybody,

I did the fork mod last week, and yes, it feels like a different bike. I have a question about raising the forks 1/4 inch in the triple tree. I installed an R6 shock and used 130mm dog bones - so kept the stock height. Should I still raise the forks, or will this upset the geometry.

Glenn, I PM'ed you about this, so sorry for the redundancy. And we all owe you a cold beer for sharing all your great ideas!!
jono399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:14 PM   #348
Waltermydoinhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono399 View Post
Hello everybody,

I did the fork mod last week, and yes, it feels like a different bike. I have a question about raising the forks 1/4 inch in the triple tree. I installed an R6 shock and used 130mm dog bones - so kept the stock height. Should I still raise the forks, or will this upset the geometry.

Glenn, I PM'ed you about this, so sorry for the redundancy. And we all owe you a cold beer for sharing all your great ideas!!
I have that exact same setup and I lowered mine. I love it. Less wheelie prone because more weight on the front but much better on corner entry etc...
Waltermydoinhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:31 AM   #349
jono399

Thank you for that. Care to share your weight and settings?
Old 03-10-2014, 08:52 AM   #350
m singer

Where should the damping adj screws on the fork caps be set prior to assembling the forks?

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." Frederic Bastiat
m singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #351
RavenRider
Old But Not Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by m singer View Post
Where should the damping adj screws on the fork caps be set prior to assembling the forks?
All the way out. Just back the spring preload and the rebound adjusters all the way out.

Assemble and re-set as needed.
651-304-7286
Old 03-10-2014, 06:51 PM   #352
m singer

Thanks

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." Frederic Bastiat
Old 03-11-2014, 08:29 PM   #353
jono399

I recently did this mod and it all went well (thanks for the offline advice Ravenrider).
Now I am adjusting the dampers and can't seem to adjust a unsettling harshness out of a bumpy corner. When I go into a bumpy corner the bike gets very upset, almost to the point of changing my line. Almost like the forks bottom out and bounce me off the original line.

Here are the details:
RR mod with 2.5 wt oil and forks raised 1/4 inch
R6 shock with 130mm dog bones (stock height)
Preload at 2.5 rings showing. (I set the sag at 35mm)
Rebound at 9 clicks out from full in
Compression at 8 clicks out
I weigh 210 with gear

Has anyone else experienced this and / or have advice?
Old 03-14-2014, 03:42 AM   #354
RavenRider
Old But Not Slow

I think we talked about this.

When assembling the forks the preload and the rebound adjustments need to be turned all the way out when the caps are installed.
Only the first six to eight clicks of adjustments from fully IN actuality work.
651-304-7286
Old 03-14-2014, 08:00 AM   #355
rswebscan
Nada Como El Sol

But I like to turn mine up to.....

...... 11!

Old 04-15-2014, 06:37 PM   #356
m singer

I recently did this fork mod with all of Glenn's baseline settings except I have 3 rings of pre load showing. I used 5w maxima fork oil. In the rear I have an OEM shock that was re built by Traxion with a 650# spring.

I have a few Dragon/Skyway runs as well as several hundred miles of city, assorted two lane and interstate. I am very please with the results. The base line settings were just about spot on for me. This set up is all that I need for the pace that I ride at.

Thanks for the research Glenn. This is a great, easy to do mod that cost practically nothing.

The front end feels more planted. The ride is smoother over bumps probably because the PO had used 10w fork oil. Fork dive on braking is noticeably less.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:19 PM   #357
curvecrazy

What about Maxima Shock Oil?

Based on the specs listed and also those I saw on www.peterverdone.com, it looks to me like the Maxima Racing Shock Oil [3wt] has pretty comparable characteristics to the Silkolene RSF 2.5 wt. And it seems significantly cheaper.

I did Glenn's mods to my suspension some 50K+ miles ago and have been nothing but happy. I'm embarking on my second fork rebuild since doing the mods and I think I used Belray 5wt oil before but it might have been Maxima 5wt. Glenn's spec'ing out 2.5wt silkolene it looks like now based on local availability if I read that right and based on excellent experience upon useage. That stuff is pricey/dear. My forks need a rebuild here hastened by fork seal failure so I planned to get upper and lower metal internal sliders and fork oil/dust seals kit. Only thing holding me up is deciding on a fluid. I admit being tempted to just use the Maxima 5wt standard fork oil but if you look at the charts that spec's out pretty different from what Glenn is recommending now. I'm up for an improvement if it can be had for reasonable but I'm seeing the Silkolene on partshark at like $27 a liter "ouch". Motul 2.5wt fully synthetic is a more palettable $18 a liter but again somewhat different in spec's. Maxima 5wt more like $10 a liter so that's the cheap route and I've been pretty happy with the 5wt. Seals would probably even last longer but if more traction is to be had via the lighter viscosity route that would seem intelligent.

I admit I've been very happy with the performance of the initial setup which was RavenRider both ends but the last 10K miles of so I've gone to Penske twin clicker rear shock with 600# spring and standard dogbones since I found a deal on a good used twin clicker with ride adjustment. fwiw. I would say this penske is definitely better than the RR dogbones but its also $$$'s more = As you know. I got on very well with the RR dogbone mod and stock shock with 10wt Maxima Racing Shock Fluid oil that I rebuilt myself.. although Lee from Traxxion assured me on this forum that "that" [rebuilding that stock shock on my own and getting it right without a vacuum chamber would not be possible] was not possible and it would not work. It did work the best I could tell, and assorted riders near and far tasted how "WELL" it worked. Not bragging... really. LOL

I also have about a liter of the Maxima Racing Shock Fluid 3wt on the shelf from another shock project I did some time ago on a GSXR I think it was???

Anyone try the Maxima Racing Shock Fluid with the RavenRider fork mod? Anyone see a reason not to do so? On the chart below the Maxima RSF is listed right above the Silkolene and specs look comparable unless I'm missing something. Thanks George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Oop View Post
I got these comparison numbers for suspension fluids from the Traxxion forum:

Brand cSt @ 40C (centiStrokes) cSt @ 100C (centiStrokes) Viscosity Index (VI)

Red Line (Like Water!) 5.5 2.3 344
Red Line (Extra Light) 9.8 4 402
Spectro SPL Ultra Light 10 4.4 385
Bel-Ray HVI (3wt) 13 4.1 300
Maxima Racing Shock Oil (3wt) 14 5.2 378
Silkolene Pro RSF (2.5wt) 14 5.8 464
Spectro (85/150) 14 3.4 150 - lighter than manufacturer but still made for forks
Racetech (Light US1) 14.2 4.2 ???
Honda (5wt) 15 4.5 140
Yamaha Fork Oil (01) 15 4.5 150
Maxima Fork Oil (5wt) 16 3.5 150
Maxima Racing Fork Oil (5wt) 16 3.5 150
Motul Fork Oil (Very Light) 16 3.5 100
Ohlins (5wt) 16.5 ???
Kayaba (1) 17 4.1 ???
Showa (SS7) 17 4.1 ???
Red Line (Light) 18.4 7.1 407
Ohlins (R&T 43) 19 ???
Bel-Ray Fork Oil (5wt) 20 6.2 280
Motul Fork Oil (Light) 20 6 260
Bel-Ray HVI (5wt) 21 6.7 300
Maxima Racing Shock Oil (7wt) 21 7.3 349
Spectro Shock & Fork 400 21 8.9 400
Ohlins (10wt) 22 ???
Silkolene Fork Oil (5wt) 22 4.4 106
Spectro Fork Oil (5wt) 22 4.4 119
Spectro (125/150) 26 3.4 150
Spectro SPL (Very Light) 26 10 400
Maxima Racing Fork Oil (7wt) 27 3.5 151
Silkolene Pro RSF (5wt) 27 9.5 372
Maxima Racing Shock Oil (10wt) 29 9.4 334
Red Line (Medium) 30.4 10.8 369
Ohlins (15wt) 31.7 ???
Maxima Fork Oil (10wt) 32 6.3 151
Maxima Racing Fork Oil (10wt) 32 6.3 151
Spectro Fork Oil (10wt) 33 7.2 111
Silkolene Fork Oil (10wt) 35 7 169
Silkolene Pro RSF (7.5wt) 37 12 322
Maxima Fork Oil (15wt) 46 8.5 154
Maxima Racing Fork Oil (15wt) 46 8.5 154
Spectro Fork Oil (15wt) 46 7.2 119
Silkolene Pro RSF (10wt) 47 14 303
Red Line (Heavy) 66.8 16 256
Showa (SS8)

From this chart it looks as if Red Line and Spectro are the only fluids significantly lighter than the manufacturers oil. The one Bel Ray is a little lighter.

Note: the viscosity index (VI) is the oils' resistance to fade. The higher the better. But this number is not as critical for forks as for shocks, which operate at higher temps.

Last edited by curvecrazy; 04-23-2014 at 03:43 PM.
curvecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #358
curvecrazy

btw... the link below is from peterverdone.com and has a more "complete" list of oils if anyone is interested in comparing. As with all oils the costs have shot through the roof. I was tempted to try ATF but it seems most are about 10wt equivalent so too much Too much. LOL

Here's the link, you have to scroll down a bit and there's a beaucoup list of oils including Mobil 1 synthetic ATF amongst others. I guess I'm confused here. The only 2.5wt Silkolene I see is the full synthetic big $$ stuff. I see what appears to be a very high VI rating for the Silkolene. Penske lightweight shock fluid seems similar. As does Motul shock fluid. I see many more oils with higher weights and lower VI's. One would assume there's nothing wrong with those top brand 5wt-10wt etc.. oils??? So how does recalculated VI actually affect performance. Would a shock oil in a fork be a NO <> NO?

http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/ind...luid_.28ATF.29

Last edited by curvecrazy; 04-23-2014 at 04:21 PM.
curvecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #359
curvecrazy

After a bunch of reading many seem to be saying that some of the full synthetic suspension fluids [ie... Redline and Silkolene specifically ] can be used either way front or back. Presumably because they are just So Good that they function amazing either way. And that non fully synthetic are not "that" amazing and can not be mixed front to back and vice versa regardless the designation.

It seems a motorcycle shock is a higher heat atmosphere than a motorcycle fork. Thus the need for the higher VI index to provide consistent damping at higher temperatures. And then there's confusion about the anti-foaming additives with speculation by a few that the fork specific oils have "more" than the shock specific oils. Maxima does make a full synthetic 3wt shock oil with comparable specs to the standard racing shock fluid but about $3 more a liter. fwiw

The synthetic vs mineral base arguments have been thrashed. I came to the conclusion that synthetics are basically great lubricants that function better than mineral based in extreme conditions. That would be in extremes of heat and cold and pressure. Conditions that shouldn't occur under normal conditions in my estimation. And the synthetics are much more expensive. I do believe synthetic oils for instance flow better in extreme cold than mineral based. So in the winter synthetic oil may be beneficial. Or if the engine is overheating due to cooling system malfunction. For instance. This is more with regards to my understanding of motor oils rather than suspension. Seems if your engine for example is not operating under extreme conditions of temperature that synthetic would not be beneficial. Unless of course you find yourself sleeping better at night.... joke.

Seems like a lot of unknowns to me with regards to suspension applications, but I don't see where the higher VI would hurt anything in the forks. And its not like these are motocross forks getting compressed and extended top to bottom over and over so I can't see where the foaming would be a problem on an FZ1 or typical streetbike fork. I would expect the shock oils too, to have excellent lubricity and antiwear additives.

It would be easy to just use the Maxima 5wt $10 a liter fork oil. LOL The Silkolene RSF 2.5wt is 13.9 at 40C vs the Maxima 5wt at 15.9 so not hugely different. And heh, I'm not out trying to win any races with this 80K FZ1. In fact, its spent most of its life running on Rotella 15/40 mineral based Diesel oil. LOL So as you can see I'm not afraid to do things differently. Others use motorcycle specific oils [$$$] and have failures. I ride more and I ride better but I'm not hard on my equipment so that may explain the lack of failures. Anyways, the take away is when I tell them I always run diesel oil in just about everything [except in winter fyi ] and I've never had problems they look at me like I have 4 heads. The diesel oil is a higher spec oil fwiw.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:44 AM   #360
curvecrazy

Another link to the same chart and easier to read I guess. The lack of response leaves me wondering if most are as confused about all this as me. I did do some research on tractor hydraulic fluid and that stuff is higher weight same as ATF.

Seems the shock oils and some of the expensive fork oils have a higher VI. Redline and Silkolene seem to be raved about.. possibly even worshipped. LOL A top race tuner did specify to me to use the Maxima Racing Shock Fluids back when I was experimenting with my GSXR shock. Might have been [ probably was ] Dave at GP suspensions back when >> ie all around good guy btw. But it might have been Peter Kates at Computrack Boston too. So don't quote me on that. It was stated to be an excellent performer in all respects and I could not argue that as it worked a treat in my GSXR shock application. BTW.. I think I mis-stated the price on the Silkolene RSF 2.5wt fluid earlier. It's about $23 a liter at partshark.

To my simpleton way of thinking, a lighter wt oil would produce less protection even while providing consistent flow performance. I would also think fork seals would be challenged not to leak at 2.5wt but what do I know. Don't think I ever tried such a low weight fork oil. It did stay in the GSXR shock which had some seriously aged seals I kept using. fwiw

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering