make a donation to the fz1oa
fz1oa chat
fz1oa picture uploader
maintain your own photo albums
locate fz1oa members
search the entire board
click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions
 
OSUFZ1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,892
Adding slide protection connection to front of riding gear

leathers offer a nice full 360 zipper to keep the jacket from riding up in a slide. Most textile gear offers the ability to zip together pants and jackets in the rear. But what about the front?

So I bought some straps with connectors and had a shoe repair place sew them to jacket and pants in the front. It took some trial & error to get them lined up to where they provided the protection with out forcing the jacket down too far but it turned out well. I decided to located the connectors between center and side which keeps the jacket from riding up in front and sides.

Here is a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pants.jpg (48.8 KB, 173 views)
OSUFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
CrazyBiker
Smooottthhh....
 
CrazyBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 6,367
Nice idea, but seems like a sturdy YKK chain will hold better to abrasion and shear.
__________________
2016 Tuono V4 1100 Factory
2014 S1000R Premium
2017 Tiger Explorer XCa
Past 06 FZ6, 07 FZ1, 06 Daytona, 12 S1000RR
CrazyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions
 
OSUFZ1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBiker View Post
Nice idea, but seems like a sturdy YKK chain will hold better to abrasion and shear.
I thought of that. It's a matter of finding the area to install a zipper. It would be a zipper on each side of the center snap and you can't have stretch material on the jacket or pant (like mine) as sewing a zipper eliminates that function.

The snaps, and sewing work, are sturdy and confident they will do the job
OSUFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
ZachD
My life is my message!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SoCal, for now..
Posts: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFZ1 View Post
I thought of that. It's a matter of finding the area to install a zipper. It would be a zipper on each side of the center snap and you can't have stretch material on the jacket or pant (like mine) as sewing a zipper eliminates that function.

The snaps, and sewing work, are sturdy and confident they will do the job
Don't run out & crash test them just to prove a point...
ZachD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions
 
OSUFZ1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachD View Post
Don't run out & crash test them just to prove a point...
I did the same to the wife's jacket. I was going to push her off and see how it worked.
OSUFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
ZachD
My life is my message!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SoCal, for now..
Posts: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFZ1 View Post
I did the same to the wife's jacket. I was going to push her off and see how it worked.


Let us know how that goes..
ZachD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
halouis
Registered User
 
halouis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFZ1 View Post
I did the same to the wife's jacket. I was going to push her off and see how it worked.
d'OH!! that's funny. well from where I sit. nice work though.
__________________
-Hal


'03 FZ1 "Lisbeth"
halouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
Mad German
Under construction...
 
Mad German's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 5,356
Send the pants and jacket to Alexa at Spyder Leather Works and have her install a 360 zipper for you. She works on loads of WERA racers' suits, has an excellent reputation for doing perfect work, and is priced reasonable. She's altered some of my leathers in the past and I've been very happy with her work. She also worked on my Tour Master jacket and Oly pants, putting in a zipper so I can make them zip together with a full 360 zipper.
Mad German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....
 
iluvmyfz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Buford, GA
Posts: 5,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFZ1 View Post
I did the same to the wife's jacket. I was going to push her off and see how it worked.
Holy side swipe Batman! Don't let me get in the way of your fun, but those buckles should be very adequate. We use similar versions on firefighter gear and they hold up to levels of abuse you wouldn't believe. If you want actual data I've got it, otherwise, please post video of you "data".
__________________
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #10
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions
 
OSUFZ1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad German View Post
Send the pants and jacket to Alexa at Spyder Leather Works and have her install a 360 zipper for you. She works on loads of WERA racers' suits, has an excellent reputation for doing perfect work, and is priced reasonable. She's altered some of my leathers in the past and I've been very happy with her work. She also worked on my Tour Master jacket and Oly pants, putting in a zipper so I can make them zip together with a full 360 zipper.
Good info. For my application, the 360 zipper takes away the function of the flex panels on my jacket and pants.

iluvmyfz1...Thanks for info on fire suit
OSUFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #11
Mad German
Under construction...
 
Mad German's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 5,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFZ1 View Post
Good info. For my application, the 360 zipper takes away the function of the flex panels on my jacket and pants.

iluvmyfz1...Thanks for info on fire suit
She could make a 360 flex panel if that's all you need. My Tour Master jacket has a flex panel and my Oly pants don't. I had her mimic the OEM connection on the jacket. This isn't track gear, I just had it done so the jacket wouldn't ride up on me.
Mad German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #12
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions
 
OSUFZ1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad German View Post
She could make a 360 flex panel if that's all you need. My Tour Master jacket has a flex panel and my Oly pants don't. I had her mimic the OEM connection on the jacket. This isn't track gear, I just had it done so the jacket wouldn't ride up on me.
A zipper doesn't flex. The flex portion I have in on the edge of the jacket and edge of the pant. I guess she could extend the panel to it fullest position then sew the zipper in and allow the panel shrink back? That would make it PIA to move the zipper once installed.
OSUFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #13
devo55
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFZ1 View Post
A zipper doesn't flex. The flex portion I have in on the edge of the jacket and edge of the pant. I guess she could extend the panel to it fullest position then sew the zipper in and allow the panel shrink back? That would make it PIA to move the zipper once installed.
OT, but I see you like the "Zach Attack" picture as your avatar. My son played football with him for many years, well, till college.

Think my Vanson street leathers have only a small zipper in the back as an attachment. Strikes me as not nearly enough to keep things together in a good slide.
devo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #14
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..
 
AndyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 23,858
I thought about doing it the way it's usually done in the back - with an elastic panel sewn onto the pants and jacket.

Just thought about it, though..
..a
__________________
'01 FZ1 set up for distance
'07 FZ1 set up for fun
(both in the *faster* blue)


Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #15
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions
 
OSUFZ1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo55 View Post
OT, but I see you like the "Zach Attack" picture as your avatar. My son played football with him for many years, well, till college.

Think my Vanson street leathers have only a small zipper in the back as an attachment. Strikes me as not nearly enough to keep things together in a good slide.
Zach Boren a great hard-nosed football player and will be missed (Thank god his father saw the light and got the family talent out of That School Up North) . Zach will make a great special teams guy in the NFL and I hope he finds PT beyond that. Good luck to him.

And you are correct...the one back zipper on gear is not nearly enough to keep things together in a feet first slide on the side or stomach.
OSUFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #16
packnrat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: valley springs
Posts: 1,077
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFZ1 View Post
Good info. For my application, the 360 zipper takes away the function of the flex panels on my jacket and pants.

iluvmyfz1...Thanks for info on fire suit

holy bar-b-que batman. how would a fire suit hold up in a 50 mph slide?

i know no protection from the "bumps".
just in the slide part.
never having touched such a suit but in seeing them they do look like they would hold up very good in a slide at speed.
as being that guy on the side of the fire truck he better pray they do hold up in a long slide.


.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:49 PM.


Questions? Comments?
Click on name below to contact via PM
Rabeet (Admin) Desmo (Admin)

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website and Message Board Contents Copyright 2001-2007 FZ1OA
The marks YAMAHA® and FZ1® are used under license from Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.
The information on this web site is NOT approved or endorsed by Yamaha Motor Corporation in any way.
Page generated in 0.17673 seconds with 9 queries