open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear

Old 03-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions

Adding slide protection connection to front of riding gear

leathers offer a nice full 360 zipper to keep the jacket from riding up in a slide. Most textile gear offers the ability to zip together pants and jackets in the rear. But what about the front?

So I bought some straps with connectors and had a shoe repair place sew them to jacket and pants in the front. It took some trial & error to get them lined up to where they provided the protection with out forcing the jacket down too far but it turned out well. I decided to located the connectors between center and side which keeps the jacket from riding up in front and sides.

Here is a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pants.jpg (48.8 KB, 173 views)
OSUFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
CrazyBiker
Smooottthhh....

Nice idea, but seems like a sturdy YKK chain will hold better to abrasion and shear.
Past 06 FZ6, 07 FZ1, 06 Daytona, 12 S1000RR
CrazyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBiker View Post
Nice idea, but seems like a sturdy YKK chain will hold better to abrasion and shear.
I thought of that. It's a matter of finding the area to install a zipper. It would be a zipper on each side of the center snap and you can't have stretch material on the jacket or pant (like mine) as sewing a zipper eliminates that function.

The snaps, and sewing work, are sturdy and confident they will do the job
Old 03-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
ZachD
My life is my message!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFZ1 View Post
I thought of that. It's a matter of finding the area to install a zipper. It would be a zipper on each side of the center snap and you can't have stretch material on the jacket or pant (like mine) as sewing a zipper eliminates that function.

The snaps, and sewing work, are sturdy and confident they will do the job
Don't run out & crash test them just to prove a point...
ZachD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachD View Post
Don't run out & crash test them just to prove a point...
I did the same to the wife's jacket. I was going to push her off and see how it worked.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
ZachD
My life is my message!!

Quote:
I did the same to the wife's jacket. I was going to push her off and see how it worked.

Let us know how that goes..
ZachD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
halouis

Quote:
d'OH!! that's funny. well from where I sit. nice work though.

'03 FZ1 "Lisbeth"
halouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
Mad German
Under construction...

Send the pants and jacket to Alexa at Spyder Leather Works and have her install a 360 zipper for you. She works on loads of WERA racers' suits, has an excellent reputation for doing perfect work, and is priced reasonable. She's altered some of my leathers in the past and I've been very happy with her work. She also worked on my Tour Master jacket and Oly pants, putting in a zipper so I can make them zip together with a full 360 zipper.
Mad German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Holy side swipe Batman! Don't let me get in the way of your fun, but those buckles should be very adequate. We use similar versions on firefighter gear and they hold up to levels of abuse you wouldn't believe. If you want actual data I've got it, otherwise, please post video of you "data".
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #10
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad German View Post
Send the pants and jacket to Alexa at Spyder Leather Works and have her install a 360 zipper for you. She works on loads of WERA racers' suits, has an excellent reputation for doing perfect work, and is priced reasonable. She's altered some of my leathers in the past and I've been very happy with her work. She also worked on my Tour Master jacket and Oly pants, putting in a zipper so I can make them zip together with a full 360 zipper.
Good info. For my application, the 360 zipper takes away the function of the flex panels on my jacket and pants.

iluvmyfz1...Thanks for info on fire suit
Old 03-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #11
Mad German
Under construction...

Quote:
Good info. For my application, the 360 zipper takes away the function of the flex panels on my jacket and pants.

She could make a 360 flex panel if that's all you need. My Tour Master jacket has a flex panel and my Oly pants don't. I had her mimic the OEM connection on the jacket. This isn't track gear, I just had it done so the jacket wouldn't ride up on me.
Mad German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #12
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad German View Post
She could make a 360 flex panel if that's all you need. My Tour Master jacket has a flex panel and my Oly pants don't. I had her mimic the OEM connection on the jacket. This isn't track gear, I just had it done so the jacket wouldn't ride up on me.
A zipper doesn't flex. The flex portion I have in on the edge of the jacket and edge of the pant. I guess she could extend the panel to it fullest position then sew the zipper in and allow the panel shrink back? That would make it PIA to move the zipper once installed.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #13
devo55

Quote:
A zipper doesn't flex. The flex portion I have in on the edge of the jacket and edge of the pant. I guess she could extend the panel to it fullest position then sew the zipper in and allow the panel shrink back? That would make it PIA to move the zipper once installed.
OT, but I see you like the "Zach Attack" picture as your avatar. My son played football with him for many years, well, till college.

Think my Vanson street leathers have only a small zipper in the back as an attachment. Strikes me as not nearly enough to keep things together in a good slide.
devo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #14
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

I thought about doing it the way it's usually done in the back - with an elastic panel sewn onto the pants and jacket.

Just thought about it, though..
..a

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #15
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo55 View Post
OT, but I see you like the "Zach Attack" picture as your avatar. My son played football with him for many years, well, till college.

Think my Vanson street leathers have only a small zipper in the back as an attachment. Strikes me as not nearly enough to keep things together in a good slide.
Zach Boren a great hard-nosed football player and will be missed (Thank god his father saw the light and got the family talent out of That School Up North) . Zach will make a great special teams guy in the NFL and I hope he finds PT beyond that. Good luck to him.

And you are correct...the one back zipper on gear is not nearly enough to keep things together in a feet first slide on the side or stomach.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #16
packnrat

Smile

Quote:

holy bar-b-que batman. how would a fire suit hold up in a 50 mph slide?

i know no protection from the "bumps".
just in the slide part.
never having touched such a suit but in seeing them they do look like they would hold up very good in a slide at speed.
as being that guy on the side of the fire truck he better pray they do hold up in a long slide.

packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear