register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion

Old 03-31-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
Fazer06

went to the strip today!

Our local drag strip had fun drags today. Thought I would take the ol fizzer down and see what I could do. Keep in mind I have only been to the strip twice on a bike. First time was my first bike,05 SV650. Once i figured out how to launch with out sending the front end sky high or bogging the motor like crazy, I feel I did rather well considering I had a 4 wheeler accident about 30 min before we hit the strip and dislocated my shoulder!

Im in the right lane. Spent most of the night racing this guy. stretched 03 Z1000. He could get out of the hole a lot a lot quicker than me and would usually end up just barely in the lead but I would always have better ET's and faster MPH. Kinda weird.
06 Shift Red, 17/49, PCIII, Ivan's ECU, Yoshimura TRC full system, K and N filter, lars air box mod, AIS removed, cut down flies, cat gutted,"un-kinked" fuel line, EBC clutch springs, frame sliders, swing arm spool sliders, ebay shorty levers
Fazer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
thepopularjock
I lost all my Free Time :(

That's awesome! Sounds like you had fun
thepopularjock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:09 AM   #3
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

.5 second to get moving? Yeah, work on that..
..a

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
MaxxRPM
at MaxxPower

Dam nice 60 footer................Were you strapped?

They just reopened Gateway here in St. Louis. Tried to get into Midnight Madness Friday night but it was just too crazy............The lines were way too long just to get in...............
Old 04-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
Fazer06

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
.5 second to get moving? Yeah, work on that..
..a
this was actually my worst reaction time of the night!

Maxx, no i wasn't strapped. I feel my 60fts could have been a whole lot better. lol First 3 passes I couldn't keep my front end down. I bumped up my preload on the rear shock to try and give me a little more rake and it seemed to help...
The track was actually quite dead yesterday. There were only 4 bikes including me. I made 14 passes in 2 hrs, I like to let my clutch cool off between runs.
06 Shift Red, 17/49, PCIII, Ivan's ECU, Yoshimura TRC full system, K and N filter, lars air box mod, AIS removed, cut down flies, cat gutted,"un-kinked" fuel line, EBC clutch springs, frame sliders, swing arm spool sliders, ebay shorty levers
Old 04-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
Blues 48

He was just beating you on reaction time. If you would have left with him, you would have won...nice et & speed though.

05-FZ1 (silver)
83-CB1100F
03-CBR 954RR
Blues 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
jefffz1

Did the Z have power mods?
jefffz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
taldridge6

The only close tracks around here are 1/8 mile. I ran my 07 for the first time Sunday, and ran 6.922 at 101.58 on second try. I thought that was good for me. It felt like I was leaving at too low rpm's. I was afraid of the front end coming up too far, and screwing up run. Still was fun the three passes I made. I want to try it on a 1/4 track. The stock gearing is too high for the 1/8.
taldridge6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
Rockin SV

Am I reading that slip right? You did a 10.67@130 mph and saying you think you did ok? That's just about as good as I've seen any of the magazines report the FZ1 doing, I think the best I've seen is 10.55 from Sport Rider or one of them, so that's pretty elite company for only your second time if I'm reading it right!
Rockin SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:16 AM   #10
AndyW

That appears to be excluding reaction time but still a fast run..
..a

Which would you prefer?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #11
jethro
Racoon-slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin SV View Post
Am I reading that slip right? You did a 10.67@130 mph and saying you think you did ok? That's just about as good as I've seen any of the magazines report the FZ1 doing, I think the best I've seen is 10.55 from Sport Rider or one of them, so that's pretty elite company for only your second time if I'm reading it right!
Yep, agreed. I have no less than 100 passes on my FZ over the years and I'm still doing my best to break into the 10's. How much do you weigh? If you left better on that run you'd be in the low 10's and that is damn impressive.

As far as being your second time, I think that's less of a factor. The first time I ever went to a strip I was on my FZ1, and on that 1st pass I told myself I just wanted to get a feel of the track, I wasn't going to push it at all. I was against a stretched and blown 'Busa, so I wasn't racing him anyway. Turned out it took me over 2 years just to beat that one pass. That tells you how much of a mindfvck drag racing is.
2003 Polaris 700XCSP
1995 Polaris 600XLT

"Peace, by superior fire power..."

My bikes: http://www.geoffreysworld.com/The%20Bikes.htm
jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro View Post
Turned out it took me over 2 years just to beat that one pass. That tells you how much of a mindfvck drag racing is.
Sounds like golf, one big mindfvck.
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #13
Crispy
Spreading the love

Dayum!

Seriously though, that's a pretty good time.
Check out this thread http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...2F4+mile+times to get an idea what some others have done.

Don't Panic.
Crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #14
ReconViper1
Backroad Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
That appears to be excluding reaction time but still a fast run..
..a
What?

Reaction time is the interval between green and when you break the start light. It isn't added to ET.

Keep in mind in drag racing that a low ET is "quick" and a high mph is "fast". You can have a high and poor ET but with good MPH, it is still a "fast run".

I used to be good on the full Tree and could time it really well but with the modern Pro Tree, I'd still be sitting there. My reaction time would be measured in minutes and I"d be pleased to have reaction times like his.

When I first became involved in drag racing, during the fuel ban (too many hydrazine induced explosions), gas diggers were running high 8's and we thought that was pretty quick.
ReconViper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #15
AndyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconViper1 View Post
Reaction time is the interval between green and when you break the start light. It isn't added to ET.
.. then explain how the 10.8297 in the left lane was the winner against his 10.6731 in the right lane?

In real-world drags, yes, it's from the light, but his total time was slower (and not indicated on the slip)..
..a

Which would you prefer?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #16
jlewis_02
Dragracer

He left two tenths sooner
Look at the times it all adds up
Good runs man
Old 04-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #17
AndyW

Exactly. So ET isn't a factor in determining winner according to this slip. It's time between gates that's listed.
..a

Which would you prefer?
Old 04-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #18
jlewis_02
Dragracer

I have waited for 8 seconds before leaving and still ran a 9.60
The timing system can go up to 30sec before it red lights you.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:12 AM   #19
Fazer06

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZHqwTidiBk
this is the vid from the time slip in the pic.

jefffz1- the z had a full system two brothers dual exhaust. pcIII, k&n, and was stretched. dunno how far tho.. and im sure there was some gearing involved. the guy said he just bought the bike and everything was done to it by the PO.

jethro- im 225 geared up. I made 14 passes that day. first of which was a 11.26@128. i was having trouble pulling the front wheel or bogging. launching the fizz is much different than the old sv. You could peg her and throw the clutch away, little different with close to 150hp lol! we are going back again on the 27th of this month. Im going to try and strap the front end and see if i can beat my 10.6. Any one tried just using bike tie down straps to sink the front end??

your et isnt figured into your time. the Z was getting better lights than me and was stretched so he would shoot way out from the dig and i would almost run him down by the end. i always had better times but he was always in front. I beat him one run. pulled a .1229 reaction time.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #20
jlewis_02
Dragracer

Get a lowering strap from somewhere do not use bike tiedowns.They are unsafe.
Get down on the tank and it will help you launch harder.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion