register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering

Old 03-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
Thrash1982

When should you replace old tires?

I just thought to take a look at the date code on my tires. They're a set of Bridgestone BT-021s with a code of 3805 (September '05). The previous owner had put these on and I had assumed they were a bit more recent than 05. The tread still has a lot of life left in it.

Should tire age be a factor in determining when to replace them? Should I replace these almost 7 year old tires based on age alone?
Thrash1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

Lee Parks recommends 3 years for a sport touring setup.
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
Bill A
¡dn ,uıʞool sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ

I have heard that tires more than six years old become progressively dangerous.

If they were mine, I'd replace them.

Bill A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Damn Yankee
Blood,Sweat and Gears.

ya , they are probly hard as a rock and maybe cracking..do they vibrate? .

even new a 5 yr old tire cannot be sold.

get ya a deal on some PR2s

07 Raven FZ-1 ,PCV ,stage 3 map, CD flies, airbox mod ,K&N filter, 2 bros Carbon can, gutted cat, Ivans F.C.E., Exup eliminated, shogun sliders, motivation axle sliders, 17/48 gears, speedohealer, puig screen, Pazzo shorty levers,S.S. brake lines,Satans pegs, FZ-6 pads,LED turn signals, LED taillight , pod mod lights,100/90 H4 lamps. Rad-Armor gaurd. tankslapper.lonzols tank pads, custom FE

loose nut behind bars
Damn Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:49 AM   #5
Thrash1982

Thanks guys. Just what I needed, another expense lol. Might have to hold off on the pipe I was thinking about getting this spring.

I was thinking about a set of Pirelli Angel STs. I've read some pretty good things about them.
Thrash1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Here we go..
..a

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
hooligan998
Lemmy IS God!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash1982 View Post
Thanks guys. Just what I needed, another expense lol. Might have to hold off on the pipe I was thinking about getting this spring.

I was thinking about a set of Pirelli Angel STs. I've read some pretty good things about them.
I got a set on mine to replace the worn out Stradas. I love 'em. Good grip even in colder/wet weather, great grip when warmer. Mileage seems to be comparable to the Stradas and good for a sportier style sport touring tire.

I should add that the profile on the Stradas is more rounded than the Bridgstones which gives the bike more neutral handling characteristics. A good thing IMO.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
terdog

Safe? Thats questionable.

One thing that is NOT debateable, is the improvement in the handleing that you will experience with some new shoes.
terdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
curvecrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash1982 View Post
I just thought to take a look at the date code on my tires. They're a set of Bridgestone BT-021s with a code of 3805 (September '05). The previous owner had put these on and I had assumed they were a bit more recent than 05. The tread still has a lot of life left in it.

Should tire age be a factor in determining when to replace them? Should I replace these almost 7 year old tires based on age alone?
Are they dry rotted with cracks on the sidewalls? No... ?

Are they working? Yes... then burn em up.
No..... then replace...........

I never did understand why people throw out perfectly good tires due to age. If they're cracked well OK. Otherwise, geeze... use em. Unless they're squirely or something, and if so, check your pressures and repeat.

Seems to me just about any tire in the last 6-7 years is a pretty good tire. Even the shenkos I tried on a friends FZ1 got the job done. Certainly no chicken strips when I was done with those..... LOL
Old 03-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
curvecrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post
ya , they are probly hard as a rock and maybe cracking..do they vibrate? .

even new a 5 yr old tire cannot be sold.

get ya a deal on some PR2s
I got a bunch of pilot road 1's last year and they've been workin fine. They told me the PR2's were much better but the PR1's still get the job done fwiw.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
Blues 48

Tires are like underwear...what other people like, you might hate.

I've always bought tires by wether or not I like the look and the tread pattern. This method has served me pretty well over the years.

05-FZ1 (silver)
83-CB1100F
03-CBR 954RR
Blues 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #12
terdog

Ya, but were not talking the work truck here.

Dont you ride a MC because of the feeling that you get? Didnt you get a FZ because you wanted something more than a gold wing or a harley to bar hop on?

Tires age and harden. They lose feel. Just like motor oil, brake pads and air filters, tires are consumables.

OP, you asked for opinions, so heres mine. If you can afford some new shoes, dump that old rubber. Get some new hoops and have a big ol grin on your face.

Hell, if CURVECRAZY thinks that there still good, let him run them.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #13
ZachD
My life is my message!!

Terdog is right! recently bought my '02 Gen 1 & the Pilot Powers that were on it had about 1/2 the tread on the front & 1/3 on the rear, but were 6 years old. After putting on a new Pilot Road 3 front & PR2 rear I realized how bad the 6 year old Powers really were, they sucked compared to the new tires. Also, tire technology changes very quickly, so 6 or 7 year old tires make your bike handle like an older bike. Step up & buy new, good rubber & it'll be like getting a new bike, but for only a few hundred bucks - what's not to like about that????
ZachD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #14
ZachD
My life is my message!!

Also, Bridgestones nickname isn't "tombstones" for nothing, especially when they are 7 years old.... The only time I've had big "scares" has been on Tombstones, just saying - why risk it..??

Last edited by ZachD; 03-15-2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #15
packnrat

Smile

well i still have the factory tires on my 2001 sunnybrook rv.

but it just sits in the yard now (no pu-truck).

on my jeep they are not as old, but there are four on the ground and each one has a far bigger foot print then six or eight FZ1's.

on my trucks i have had in the past number of years, can you say hard as a rock 10 ply side walls?

but on a bike, well i have never had a tire get "old", new (street) tires twice each year...or sooner. (pending weather and time to ride).

last bike three times a year, (worn out) but i was commuting on that bike.

any tire that is older than three years should be checked for cracks before any drive (on a truck/car/jeep) on a bike never. get new shoes.

packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #16
terdog

Quote:
any tire that is older than three years should be checked for cracks before any drive
checked definately! But dont think that a lack of
"cracks" means theyre OK.

This is one of those things that change every day, and you just dont notice that small change. It adds up, and then before you know it, theyre past thier sell by date.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #17
ZachD
My life is my message!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by packnrat View Post
any tire that is older than three years should be checked for cracks before any drive (on a truck/car/jeep) on a bike never. get new shoes.

I have 8 or 9 year old tires on my truck (37x12.50/15 Goodyear Wrangler M/Ts) & they show no cracks, but I only drive it around town occasionally or on very short trips... I agree - I would never ride a motorcycle on tires that old, regardless of how they "looked"... I did once and that was one of the 2 times that I crashed a streetbike (of course some booze & peer-pressure was also involved, but that's a whole different story....)
Old 06-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #18
Slim Johnson
I poop a lot

That old tire would be good for practicing burnouts.

I personally wouldn't ride on a tire that old.
A 200 will fit on the rim... a buick engine will fit in the frame... a dummy will fit on the seat....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo
"Brakes only serve to slow you down".
Slim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:51 PM   #19
ZachD
My life is my message!!

Yes, burnouts would be fun
Old 06-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #20
windblown

Safe advice is to replace obviously. I'd personally recomend replacing them simply because I think B21s were crap even when brand new.

All that said, I know a few folks that have railed on 7 year old tires without issue. Of course one of them also didn't seem to mind going for a month or so with no front brakes and was still dragging knee so he might not be the best example to go by, LOL.

I'd say if you are a mild mannored rider and there is no signs of checks/cracks in the sidewalls to go ahead and run them for a bit but there is no getting around the fact that running a tire that hold does carry a higher risk. A higher risk doesn't mean anything bad will happen just that it could happen.
windblown is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering