register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering

Old 03-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
bmidd

Did the R6 shock

Thanks a bunch to stretch160! Received the shock Friday and put it on today and went for a ride in the mountains. I can say that within 1 mile of my house I could tell the difference, and I was running a stock shock with the Hyperpro treatment. Feels almost like my old R1 in the rear, no more pogo issues when going into corners hot, it just soaks up the bumps midcorner and lets the forks do their thing. Not sure if I will get the forks done immediately, they also have Hyperpro stuff in them, I will mount the Power Pure on the front and push it a little and see if makes a difference. The front end wasn't the problem all along, it was the rear shock. I'm running 6 on the preload and will probably back that down to 5( leave at 6 for 2 up rides) and experiment some more, 3 out from hard on the rebound, fast compression is 3 out from max and slow compression is sitting 13 out from max.
I weigh 265 geared up and will occasional strap a 15# Klein tool bag to the Givi rack for work.
If you haven't done it yet, stop procrastinating!
bmidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
robrides85

Man, if I had kept the FZ, I would've pulled the trigger on that mod. Everyone raves about it, praise to Devilsyam for working it out and DeanDinnetz for distributing. Glad it worked for you too!
Old 03-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
thepopularjock
I lost all my Free Time :(

Can you tell me a little more about the upgrade? Pretty tough to do? Special equipment? I know there are a lot of threads about this but I was just wondering if this was a pretty easy upgrade to do yourself?
thepopularjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
bigdave43
Vietnam Vetran

I just wonder how many people have done the R6 shock upgrade? Maybe we need a poll. I did mine a long time ago and I can't remember what it was like without it. The shock and a jet kit are the best upgrades yet.

Enjoy life now-it has an expiration date!
bigdave43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
thepopularjock

LOL
I bet there are a bunch
Old 03-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepopularjock View Post
Can you tell me a little more about the upgrade? Pretty tough to do? Special equipment? I know there are a lot of threads about this but I was just wondering if this was a pretty easy upgrade to do yourself?
Are you looking to replace the spring in the R6 shock like Stretch did or are you light enough to use the R6 shock as is?

If you're going to use the stock R6 shock bought as a kit it's as simple as pulling the old shock and replacing the dog bones. Only specialized equipment you need is a torque wrench to tighten the linkage bolts tight enough to not fall off and not too tight to bind. Took maybe 30 minutes to do
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
bmidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
Are you looking to replace the spring in the R6 shock like Stretch did or are you light enough to use the R6 shock as is?

If you're going to use the stock R6 shock bought as a kit it's as simple as pulling the old shock and replacing the dog bones. Only specialized equipment you need is a torque wrench to tighten the linkage bolts tight enough to not fall off and not too tight to bind. Took maybe 30 minutes to do
Ditto, it took all of 45 minutes at the most. I will most likely just use the R6 spring, most of my riding is solo and without luggage on the rack.
bmidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #8
thepopularjock

Quote:

I'm not sure of the capacity of the R6 shock.
I'm about 6ft tall and 210 - 215lbs. I split it just about down the middle with commuting and riding aggressively for fun.

I saw Devilsyam's thread and this is the line that kind of threw me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsyam View Post
Yep i'm at it again, project cheap as chips

Fz1 gen 1 shock is knackered rebuild over here $300 Eeek

So R6 2010 shock ebay $40 ride height dog bones 130mm centers $30

And presto new shock

So wots involved

well the R6 unit is 5mm shorter hence the shorter dog bones are needed

top hole on the R6 is m10 fz1 is m12 so took a drill to it as loadsa meat in there
I saw the numerous threads on it but I wasn't really sure what year/model R6 to upgrade. It seemed cheaper to do that then to call Triaxxon and buy from them. So I started searching prices and it seems like there is a pretty clear line with the Penske & Ohlins shocks. They start at around $600 and go up as high as you want to go.
Wasn't sure if there is a difference (or advantage) in buying later model R6 shocks? When Devilsyam said that he only spent $40 on his new (used) shock - I was hoping that this could be a pretty reasonable upgrade.

Last edited by thepopularjock; 03-11-2012 at 03:31 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
thepopularjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmidd View Post
Ditto, it took all of 45 minutes at the most. I will most likely just use the R6 spring, most of my riding is solo and without luggage on the rack.
Thanks
30 to 45 minutes sounds like a good thing
Old 03-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #10
thepopularjock

Just a quick search on Ebay and I saw that some of the R6 shocks are red, some are yellow and some are silver. Is that just a brand thing or is there a coding for the ability of the spring to carry a load?
Old 03-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #11
grommet
I got my answer from my brain.

Quote:
Wasn't sure if there is a difference (or advantage) in buying later model R6 shocks? When Devilsyam said that he only spent $40 on his new (used) shock - I was hoping that this could be a pretty reasonable upgrade.
It's perfect for you.

The years matter. You want an 07 or newer shock. 06 and prior won't fit without some surgery to the FZ1 frame; not so good. 07 and newer drop in with the upper bushing in the shock drilled out and different length dogbones.

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...php?p=2131916&

Get custom length dogbones ( I went with 127mm to get the rear up 1"; go 130mm for stock ride height) from Adam at TKStunts.

I highly recommend this. You can get the shock from ebay, get the washers at your favorite hardware store, stock bolts still fit, and get the bones from Adam. Do the work yourself and you're into this mod for less than $100.

Or if you can't find one, get the kit from Dean Dinnetz.

I've since not crashed many times.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #12
thepopularjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
It's perfect for you.

The years matter. You want an 07 or newer shock. 06 and prior won't fit without some surgery to the FZ1 frame; not so good. 07 and newer drop in with the upper bushing in the shock drilled out and different length dogbones.

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...php?p=2131916&

Get custom length dogbones ( I went with 127mm to get the rear up 1"; go 130mm for stock ride height) from Adam at TKStunts.

I highly recommend this. You can get the shock from ebay, get the washers at your favorite hardware store, stock bolts still fit, and get the bones from Adam. Do the work yourself and you're into this mod for less than $100.

Or if you can't find one, get the kit from Dean Dinnetz.

Nice!
That is exactly what I was looking for.
Thank you
Old 03-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #13
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

If you do this yourself I've got a set of bones that came with my kit from Dean that I'm no longer using, I raised the rear on my bike. You're welcome to them.
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #14
grommet
I got my answer from my brain.

Quote:
Nice!
That is exactly what I was looking for.
Thank you
You're welcome.

Be careful buying off ebay. Look at the pics in the thread I linked up above. A lot of the ones on ebay say 07 or whatever, but they're not. You may have to hunt around a bit for the right one.

I've since not crashed many times.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:23 AM   #15
thepopularjock

Quote:
If you do this yourself I've got a set of bones that came with my kit from Dean that I'm no longer using, I raised the rear on my bike. You're welcome to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
You're welcome.

Be careful buying off ebay. Look at the pics in the thread I linked up above. A lot of the ones on ebay say 07 or whatever, but they're not. You may have to hunt around a bit for the right one.

You guys are awesome!!!!
LB - I am starting to do my own work after some TERRIBLE service and work done by local mechanics and especially the dealership. Thank you for the offer. I will send you a PM.

Grommet - You are the MAN!!! That pic was a key piece to the puzzle because I had 4 - 5 shocks I was looking at. Two of them would not have fit based on the thread you provided.

I grabbed a shock off an 2009 R6 that had 1,026 miles on it. At least according to the seller and I paid a little more for 100% feedback. The thing looks brand new and at $70 (shipped) - I think I got a good deal. I know I could have gone cheaper but a lot of sellers were using stock photos and not disclosing what model it was - just what models it fit. I figured I would spend $20 xtra to get something that is practically new.

You guys are awesome!! You saved me time and money. Lot's of smart people on this forum. I appreciate ya'll
Old 03-11-2012, 01:24 AM   #16
thepopularjock

And finally to bmidd -
Sorry to hijack your thread. I normally don't do that. My apologies and congrats on the new shock. I hope you enjoy your ride.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #17
82packer
Shoe King

Installed the R6R shock 2 days ago and think I'm going to love it. Not as harsh on the Michigan potholes as I thought it would be. I made 130mm dogbones and it was perfect height. Corners ok, forks are very soft now. Next is play with damping, rear breaks loose VERY easy exiting corners, think it's the Continental Motions as it was squirrelly at the Gap Rally also. To early to give a good report but looks promising.
82packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #18
ZachD
My life is my message!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82packer View Post
Installed the R6R shock 2 days ago and think I'm going to love it. Not as harsh on the Michigan potholes as I thought it would be. I made 130mm dogbones and it was perfect height. Corners ok, forks are very soft now. Next is play with damping, rear breaks loose VERY easy exiting corners, think it's the Continental Motions as it was squirrelly at the Gap Rally also. To early to give a good report but looks promising.
I've got a few hundred miles on my R6 rear shock upgrade now & it just keeps getting better. Mainly I am still expecting certain bumps/situations to really upset the bike (like with the stock shock) but it continues to impress. I played with the high & low speed comp damping a bit & easily found some good settings. Thanks Dean!!
ZachD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:48 PM   #19
82packer
Shoe King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachD View Post
I played with the high & low speed comp damping a bit & easily found some good settings.
k

I won't be doing much adjusting this week (did drop from 4 to 3 on preload). Next week we are heading back to SE Tennessee, much better roads to dial in. Any settings will work in my crappy state.
82packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #20
lotabikes

Did mine a while ago - makes a big difference. What settings are you using?
lotabikes is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering