click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues

Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
rus23

Fuel leaking from carbs, 2003 FZ1

I searched and read some of the other posts about leaky carbs, did the obvious, and they still leak.

I was a good boy, drained my carbs after my last ride in november. Now, upon trying to start this thing, two of the carbs will not stop dripping. I took the carbs out, took the bowls off, checked float height (the 122.5 jets were in but the floats were stock height), adjusted float height to 14.5mm, took out drain screws for carbs, spun in my drill and smoothed em out, put bak in, checked with water, no leaks, reassembled, installed carbs, hooked up al the stuff, turned the key, started her up, two leaky carbs. runs good. sounds awesome. but still leaky.

I am inclined to pro seal the drain valves, because I think somebody overtightened them at some point. I just got this bike last summer, R title, needed work. I guess it still needs work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
FUP
I crashed the swing too

I've not heard of leaks from the carb drains before.
Plenty of leaks from the float needle valves though.
FUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
jff_stvns

Not a expert on carb's but I will give my 2 cents, just curious on why you are draining your carb's dry? It seems to me if it's dry seals and o ring's if present will be more likely to crack or shrink if they become dry. If you are storing your Fz1 for the winter I would put fuel stable in it run for 5 to 10 min to make sure it makes it all the way threw the carb's. It says on the bottle safe up to 12 months of storage. I put some in my honda pressure washer and it sat for over 4 year's I swear to god and it fired up on the second pull. That's how I would store anything setting for to long. I am on my 3rd Fz1 a gen1, gen2 and now back to a gen 1, and when I first bought my first gen 1 the first thing the owner told me was these bikes should not sit for to long. Just bought a gen1 4 days ago 2002 with 4500 miles on it great buy but sat for to long, it stumbles at low rpm. Put fuel stable in it and hopefully it will clear it self up, if not its going to cost me $400.00 to have them tore down and cleaned. I know this does not address your issue but once you get it resolved it might be a option for you in the future on winterizing your ride. This is how I look at it if they did not leak before you drained them and they leak now they might not like to hibernate dry. I hope you find your issue and when you do chime in and let us know what happend, good luck.
jff_stvns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
rus23

the fuel may be coming from the float needles, just finding its way out the drain. I usually put avgas in for the winter. Thought I'd just drain the carbs to get the ethanol laden fuel out of the system. Trip to yamaha tomorrow, buy some orings and do it again.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
jpgrfan
Resistance is futile!

If you can verify that the leak is from the drain screw area and not from the overflow or bowl gasket, it is like that someone overtightened the drain screws. Unfortunately over tightening the drain screws cracks the bowls where the screws thread in and the bowls will need to be replaced.

Let us know what is the real source of the leaks and someone here will be able to help you.

Good luck.

jpgrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!

Check the float valve seats for any deposits that may keep the float needles from fully seating. This will cause the exact problem you are describing. I have seen this too many times on several types of carbs across all makes of bikes. You will have to remove the carbs and float bowls to check this.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
geckostudios
Grad School Slave

I had gas leak (more like gush) from the drains as well. Turns out one of my floats developed a hole and filled with gas. Don't know if it's the same thing, but you can certainly check those while you're at it.
geckostudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #8
utbrenner
FZS1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan998 View Post
Check the float valve seats for any deposits that may keep the float needles from fully seating. This will cause the exact problem you are describing. I have seen this too many times on several types of carbs across all makes of bikes. You will have to remove the carbs and float bowls to check this.
Rus23, if you meant the overflows and not the drain screw refer to this quote or what I have written and linked below. If it is the actual screw that is leaking, jpgr is likely correct in that they were cracked from overtightening and you will need to purchase new bowls or permanently seal the drains somehow.

The float needle valve is seated with a rubber o-ring which sometimes becomes brittle and will crack or not completely seal off the needle valve from fuel leaking past. Eventually this slow fuel leak past the valve will over fill the float bowls. This hightened level of fuel will eventually be high enough that it will exit through the overflows. Inspect the float needle valve and o-ring and make sure there are no obstructions for the float to close this valve.

Here is a thread talking about the o-ring failure on the float valve.

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

2009 Kawasaki Concours 14
2001 Yamaha WR426F
2001 Yamaha TTR125L
1984 Yamaha FJ1100
1979 Yamaha XS1100
utbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
rus23

Thanks everyone, I have the orings for the float needle seat, waiting on yamaha for the new needles and bowl gaskets. I am going to seal the bowl drains with pro seal. It is used in aerospace applications to seal fuel tanks. I work on helicopters, so the expired stuff comes home with me.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:51 AM   #10
RavenRider
Old But Not Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jff_stvns View Post
if not its going to cost me $400.00 to have them tore down and cleaned.
Yikes, who's hitting you that hard for carb cleaning????

Send them to me and I'll replace the "O"rings and bowl gaskets, and install a jet kit to what ever level you choose plus a full tear down and clean for $350+ shipping.
Hell for $500 I'll send you back a Pods set up and port your intake boots.
Midnight Motorcyle (Full Service Center)
- Minnesota 651-480-2453
I am Now - Retired.
RavenRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues