register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance

Old 04-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #601
whittlebeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by unofear View Post
Do give you an idea you must built something like this that you cane change the 0-5 volt that the ecu reads from the map sensor typical the range of n/a map sensor is :250mv=15kpa
4750mv=107kpa
and this is the device:http://www.splitsec.com/products/vc2-5/VC2-5.htm
You are on the right track but you need the clamp on the bottom side to avoid the fuel cut and a clamp on the top to avoid the horsepower modulation in the lower gears.

This is where the PIC chip get involved.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PIC_microcontroller

If we contact Mac at http://www.macsboost.com/ he knows all about this stuff. We just need to talk him into making one that is adjustable for this application.

Beast

Holeshot Highmount quiet, No-Mar Fender Eliminator, SW-MOTECH Bar risers and Crashbars with Saten666 highway pegs, HEL Stainless brake lines, PC5 with full time widebands and data logging running a MAP based custom map tuned with MegaLogViewer HD, T-Rex Frame sliders, 16 - 45 gears, Throttlemeister.
whittlebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #602
MAVRIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBiker View Post
FOLKS, looks like once flash-tune figure this bike out that will be the most definitive way to go as they also provide their ECU reflashing and tuning software alongwith the necessary interface cables.
if they do or put the effort...might be a cool way to go...but not a hugely followed bike or has tons of support...from what i just saw and felt and was hopeful for the outcome was less than stella
2006 fz1 Shift Red - PCIII, yoshi carbon slip-on, tank protector, FCE, air box mod, swatted flys, tinted screen, 16t front sprocket, EXUP eliminated, speedo drd, adjustable levers, sequential tail light, rizomas fronts...radar detector and heated gear control on

Sold - 2001 Blue FZ1, 2001 black FZ1, 2007 cobalt blue FZ1, 2006 FZ1 red, CBR929, ZX10R, CBRF2, ZX9R, CBR900RR, 2003 Aprilia Falco
MAVRIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #603
SoCalFZRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by whittlebeast View Post
SoCal

What year ECU are you dealing with?

Beast

I don't expect MAP to volts is an issue. Depending on how the PCV interpolates between points on the auxiliary input table, there may be opportunity there for "MAP manipulation". I assume it's just a linear interpolation function.
SoCalFZRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #604
kingsxjt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAVRIK View Post
my poison...i will loose the first gear being unrestricted but have the smooth on off transitions again...damn it! oh well i gave it a try...hopefully (and a little worried) the stock reflash will be what i had before and not have issues with that too.
I am hoping so too Mavrik. Sent mine back today. I called Ed to let him know. I inquired about what was going back in and he said that the different ECU model #'s have specific data associated with them. He said ECUnleashed has that and will send it to him and he will flash it back. Said to be exactly as it was before. I sure hope so. The flash had certain aspects that I liked. Problem is that to make it right I will need to spend another $800 to get it tuned properly (PCV and dyno tune). I can't quite stomach that right now.
Shift Red 2008 FZ1 ECUnleashed flash, PCV, Custom Map, Auto Tune, BMC air filter, Roth block off plates, Ivan's sub-throttle plates, 12 0'clock labs Exup eliminator, gutted cat and 2 Bros Slip on P1X Insert, Speedo DRD, SV650 Risers, Dual PIAA Horns, Beltronics Radar, Copperdawg Speedscreen
kingsxjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #605
MAVRIK

kingsxjt....we tried but obviously they are not fully ready yet or have done a complete job...i talked with Ed and while he has been quite nice and helpful as much as possible, when he told ecunleashed about the issues and such their comment "oh we wish he was in california because we could have him come in a figure out how to get the fuel cut out or the rest of it out. What!?!? the fuel cut was worse after the flash and they need my bike or a bike to figure out how to get rid of it? thought they already did that?! interesting stuff....my ECU will be with Ed today...hopefully flashed today and headed back to me...
2006 fz1 Shift Red - PCIII, yoshi carbon slip-on, tank protector, FCE, air box mod, swatted flys, tinted screen, 16t front sprocket, EXUP eliminated, speedo drd, adjustable levers, sequential tail light, rizomas fronts...radar detector and heated gear control on

Sold - 2001 Blue FZ1, 2001 black FZ1, 2007 cobalt blue FZ1, 2006 FZ1 red, CBR929, ZX10R, CBRF2, ZX9R, CBR900RR, 2003 Aprilia Falco
Old 04-04-2012, 06:54 AM   #606
CrazyBiker
Smooottthhh....

I wonder what did they do with Hellgate's ECU? That maybe because his was with them for a long time - 4-6 months and they were able to sort it out. Or maybe it was the placebo effect, LOL .

But being a programmer as well as a CS researcher, I don't want to trust these one off hacks. Programs need to be reusable and more generically applicable to solving the input problem rather than solve just one particular instance of that input.
CF/CNC bits|T-Rex Sliders|Spencer Seat|Puig DB|Techspec|Heated Grips|HIDs|Protons Signals

2006 Daytona 675-R
Ohlins Shock|GPR Damper|Attack Rearsets|Pazzos|2Bro Exhaust|Saddlemen Seat|Seat Cowl|HIDs

CrazyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #607
MAVRIK

Crazy....hellgates has some issues too from what i have heard...and the fuel cut was not gone either...Whittlebeast had Hellgates Ecu and was not please in the least....if going done the road and your never on and off the throttle or very rarely above 6k and not in the twisties then the ECU flash would feel fine..i'm on the east coast where there are a lot of turns and then the fuel cut rears it ugly head

Old 04-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #608
CrazyBiker
Smooottthhh....

I have experienced it a little too but I put the FCE on even before I got annoyed by it as I got a super package deal on the perf mods. Even with the FCE if the idle is not set high enough, you can feel the fuel cut.
CF/CNC bits|T-Rex Sliders|Spencer Seat|Puig DB|Techspec|Heated Grips|HIDs|Protons Signals

2006 Daytona 675-R
Ohlins Shock|GPR Damper|Attack Rearsets|Pazzos|2Bro Exhaust|Saddlemen Seat|Seat Cowl|HIDs

Old 04-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #609
MAVRIK

WHAT the hell would idle speed have to do with it, especially at 5k and up? i have the fce and PCIII but was not going to pay all that money to have to put that stuff on to actually be ridable....bs!

Old 04-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #610
whittlebeast

Idle speed has a lot to do with this stuff. Lets say you open the throttle stop to allow an idle speed of say 3000 RPM. This would be a fairly BIG air leak at the throttles. With that big air leak, the motor would never be able to suck these huge vacuums in the intake and the fuel cut would never kick in with this new high idle.

If these bikes had an IAC, things would be different.

Beast

Holeshot Highmount quiet, No-Mar Fender Eliminator, SW-MOTECH Bar risers and Crashbars with Saten666 highway pegs, HEL Stainless brake lines, PC5 with full time widebands and data logging running a MAP based custom map tuned with MegaLogViewer HD, T-Rex Frame sliders, 16 - 45 gears, Throttlemeister.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #611
MAVRIK

oh ok..but i don't think 100rpm at idle is going to make that much of a diff at 5k....since there is plenty of time for the computer to keep up and adjust from 1500rpm to 5 or 5.5k rpms....maybe i'm off ...if that is the case i will set my bike to 3500 rpms then! :}

just kidding!

Old 04-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #612
whittlebeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAVRIK View Post
oh ok..but i don't think 100rpm at idle is going to make that much of a diff at 5k....since there is plenty of time for the computer to keep up and adjust from 1500rpm to 5 or 5.5k rpms....maybe i'm off ...if that is the case i will set my bike to 3500 rpms then! :}

just kidding!
I happen to have mine set to 1400 RPM. I did set it down to 1000 once but did not "notice" any difference in fuel cut.

We high idles on the race cars to keep trailing throttle oversteer reasonable. It also helps with off idle throttle response on a throttle stab.

Beast

Old 04-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #613
MAVRIK

off idle stab is totally understandable ...but to say the secondaries will open sooner or fuel cut will be less....ummm i don't think that rpm diff would be enough to change those...but as any of us i could be wrong...

Old 04-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #614
whittlebeast

These bikes do not have secondaries as such. That do have the drive by wire set of throttles that tend to limit the HP and throttle response in the lower gears. This also messes with controlling the AE requirements to some degree. See the youtube video I posted earlier on the ECU tuning thread.

Beast

Old 04-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #615
CrazyBiker
Smooottthhh....

A good idle is necessary when you totally back off the throttle in corners or if you change gears you feel a lag when the bike gets back on the power. I use a trailing throttle when riding hard but when I am commuting I feel the fuel cut. FCE does a good job but not necessarily 100%

2006 Daytona 675-R

Old 04-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #616
MAVRIK

EITHER WAY...i was not even close to having that with the flash....was safer on a stock bike....

Old 04-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #617
SoCalFZRider

Took the information from the first plot (thanks WB), created a PC3 map, made a minor adjustment after road trials, and that is represented by the 2nd plot. Took the bike out again:

2nd gear 5k throttle stab - no bog
Neutral 5k throttle stab - previous 1/2 second bog practically nonexistent
Throttle response in all gears - excellent
1st & 2nd gear roll-on - hang on
Resulting AFRs - TBD
Fuel cut - can feel it somewhere over 7 or 8k rpm, no worse than stock
Bar buzz at cruise - reduced from reflash alone

Coolant temp 160F
Air temp 60F
Elevation 3k ft
Yosh full system
BMC filter
Otherwise stock induction

Sorry to read some of you are quite disappointed with the reflash, I'm keeping it. Maybe 09 is a better year for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AFR plot WB.jpg (47.0 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg ECUnleashedrevB.jpg (48.6 KB, 157 views)
Old 04-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #618
whittlebeast

Did you set up the speedo input. That opens up all sorts of calcs.

Have fun tuning

Beast

Old 04-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #619
SoCalFZRider

Negative. Still waiting for the PC5/Autotune set-up. PC3 map estimates made from 1/14*100 = 7 pts for 1 AFR change when running on the lean side.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #620
whittlebeast

Just wait till you get the MAP based tuning up on line.

Beast

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance