register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 2 Problems & Issues

Old 05-31-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
ATC Crazy
One-Tire Fire

Bad sputtering on take-off

So, on my way to work this morning, I noticed that my bike started to spit and sputter. It started off very slight, but progressively got worse.

It only does it while taking off from a stop, while I'm slipping the clutch and the engine is under a load. Once the clutch is fully engaged and I'm over 2k RPM's, it runs just fine. It's acts like it is running on 2 cylinders during that time.

I have recently gutted my cat and loaded one of Duken's maps...but that was almost 1000 miles ago. Engine light came on for only a couple seconds after I started it while leaving work. The idle was very erratic during that time too...

Sucks too, 'cause I've got the next 5 days off of work and I wanted to ride!
Old 06-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
GPz1100

Mine started acting this way when the fce began failing. Eventually, it got so bad it it could barely idle and wouldn't rev past 4-5K rpm.

Pulled the fce and the bike ran fine.

ymmv.

Stock Exhaust & AIS Parts Front Sprocket
GPz1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
ATC Crazy
One-Tire Fire

Thanks...I'll try that tomorrow while doing the fuel line mod.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #4
fdl3
2007 Raven FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy View Post
Thanks...I'll try [pulling the FCE] tomorrow while doing the fuel line mod.
Now wait a minute! When troubleshooting, obey the cardinal rule: only change one thing at a time!

Otherwise, how will you know which one actually fixed the problem?

Either way, I hope one of them is your solution!
fdl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
LiquidSilver
Bad Cattytude

If the FCE elimination doesn't make a difference, I would suspect it may be a bad coil. COP's tends to fail first at low RPM high load. Unlikely to be the fuel line if it revs out fine.

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
ATC Crazy
One-Tire Fire

Well, the FCE was NOT the problem.

Coils sound expensive...the plugs were $38 alone
Old 06-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #7
ATC Crazy
One-Tire Fire

According to BS's post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Spot View Post

My first reading was:

1: 9.77 kΩ
2: 8.62 kΩ
3: 9.74 kΩ
4: 9.74 kΩ

The second reading was:

1: 1.5-1.7 Ω
2: 1.5-1.6 Ω
3: 1.5-1.6 Ω
4: 1.5-1.6 Ω

On the second reading, once I touched the leads to the prongs on the coil, the reading went up to 1.8 Ω, but then back down to 1.6-1.7, and if I held it on there a couple seconds longer, it would settle to 1.5-1.6.

I replaced the plugs while I was in there, even though they looked pretty good (10,500mi., although it was just a tad on the rich side, but fine).

I need to re-install the FCE, the radiator, and check the servo motor (maybe tie the flies open) before I button it up and test it out. There is Seafoam sitting in the tank ready to go.

I don't think I mentioned this problem earlier, but the last 2 tanks of fuel I ran through it, I ran it pretty low on gas. The first time, the bike was surgeing while braking downhill and coming to stops on the way to the gas station.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
rkusche

Sputtering

Mine started doing the same thing out of the blue yesterday. Feels like a cylinder or two isn't firing. Took it all apart because I got a code 39 meaning an injector open circuit. Ohmed the injector fuse which was ok. Pulled the ecu connections, etc. cleaned them, retightened everything , put it all back together and code cleared and it idled fine in the garage. Took it for a road test and same problem again. One thing I didn't check was the FCE but I don't see how that could cause this problem but I will check it anyway. Whoever gets an answer first, post it please. Right now, I thinking of taking it to the stealer as they have more time and tools to get it fixed than me. Ugh!
rkusche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #9
ATC Crazy
One-Tire Fire

My problem ended up being the spark plugs. Apparantly one or two of them were fouled, even though they all looked fine and exactly the same...
Old 06-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
rkusche

Sputtering -low RPMs and a load

Picked it up from the stealer yesterday(because I know and trust the mechanic). Said he spoke with one of Yamaha's technical managers who said Yamaha is starting to see some of these crop up. The tech manager recommended we run a Yamaha product called Ring Free which is supposed to clean out carbon deposits, apparently similar to what some car dealers will run thru car engines. He gave it the concentrated shock treatment, i.e. running at the high mixture for a severe case. Rode it home and to work today. SEEMS to be slowly improving but problem is still there. Will ride to work again tomorrow and see what happens. Will consider changing out the plugs if this tank doesn't make the difference. Bike has 34,300 miles on original plugs. Mechanic said, electrically, everything checked out fine. More to follow.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:53 AM   #11
fdl3
2007 Raven FZ1

For me, it was a bad coil. Replacing the spark plugs seemed to cure it at first. I am guessing removing the coils to replace the plugs reseated the coils and temporarily "fixed" the sputtering symptoms. However, a week later (and a few heat cycles later), the symptoms reappeared. Having replaced the bad coil, it has been smooooooth sailing ever since.
fdl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #12
rkusche

bad sputtering on take-off

Yeah, I'm starting to get the impression the carbon deposit remover won't do the trick. I'm about to bite the bullet and replace all four plugs(since #4 might be bad anyway) and the coil for #4 cylinder(error code 39).
Old 06-11-2011, 01:16 AM   #13
ATC Crazy
One-Tire Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdl3 View Post
For me, it was a bad coil. Replacing the spark plugs seemed to cure it at first. I am guessing removing the coils to replace the plugs reseated the coils and temporarily "fixed" the sputtering symptoms. However, a week later (and a few heat cycles later), the symptoms reappeared. Having replaced the bad coil, it has been smooooooth sailing ever since.
I'll definately keep that in mind if I have any more problems. So far, I'm about 250 miles into the "fix", so we'll see!
Old 06-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #14
DudeMango

Quote:
I'll definately keep that in mind if I have any more problems. So far, I'm about 250 miles into the "fix", so we'll see!
Has the problem resurfaced?

Mine just started doing the same exact thing over the weekend. Just got some new plugs. I hope that's all it is!
DudeMango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #15
Blind Spot
Represent

Quote:
Keep in mind the resistance check does NOT mean the coils are good.

If it says it's bad, they're bad, but if it says they're good it's not necessarily the case. Your slightly out of spec reading I wouldn't call for much concern. Mine was out of spec too but that's more due to the alligator clip test lead I used to free up my hands for the picture.

TheRepairMan posted a while back that the failure mechanism common on Coils is that the insulation cracks and the arc grounds out to the plug wells or other surface instead of the plug tip. The resistance check can't test for this.

http://yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105290

Businesses love a working server, don't trust India, see an IT admin and get rid of it.
Blind Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:47 AM   #16
ATC Crazy
One-Tire Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeMango View Post
Has the problem resurfaced?

Mine just started doing the same exact thing over the weekend. Just got some new plugs. I hope that's all it is!
Nope! She is still running great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Spot View Post
Keep in mind the resistance check does NOT mean the coils are good.

If it says it's bad, they're bad, but if it says they're good it's not necessarily the case. Your slightly out of spec reading I wouldn't call for much concern. Mine was out of spec too but that's more due to the alligator clip test lead I used to free up my hands for the picture.

TheRepairMan posted a while back that the failure mechanism common on Coils is that the insulation cracks and the arc grounds out to the plug wells or other surface instead of the plug tip. The resistance check can't test for this.
I know the check doesn't mean it's good. There's no way we can test them while subjecting them to the heat, vibes, and abuse they see during use. And yes, cracked insulation is a HUGE reason why coils go bad.

I've been around my fair share of old trucks with split/cracked spark plug boots...
Old 06-16-2011, 07:23 AM   #17
rkusche

Stuttering

Had the local dealer replace all four plugs, one of which tested out with a high resistance(5 megohms). Mine is running normally again.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 2 Problems & Issues