register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering

Old 07-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #21
Dean Dinnetz

The only way that 06 R6R shock is going to work for you is for you to cut away that cross member, just below the battery. That cross member is there for a reason. Your bike of course, do what you like, but it will be a lot of work to make that shock work. As for the bushing, just drill out the the original bushing to 12 m.m., and be done with it. Trust me, that o.e.m. bushing will go to 12 m.m.'s, without a problem.
Dean
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:48 PM   #22
ratjag
ratjag

Did the swap a couple of weeks ago. Set preload at 4, low speed compression at 6 clicks, high speed at 3 turns, rebound is at 7clicks. Tried less compression but was a little bouncy at speed. In my opinion for a 190 lb rider it is perfect.
ratjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:37 PM   #23
grommet
I got my answer from my brain.

R6 Spring Rate?

I've looked through all the threads I can find on this subject and have yet to see any mention of the spring rate of the R6 shock.

ie

For larger riders (all of us fatties above 180lb), the recommendation for the FZ1 shock is a 600 - 650lb spring, with the shock revalved to handle it.

Where does the stock R6 spring fall in relation to this, and is the shock valved properly to handle it?

In other words, is the R6 a drop-in replacement for the stock FZ1 shock that will work without further mods for heavier riders?

I've since not crashed many times.
grommet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #24
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
I've looked through all the threads I can find on this subject and have yet to see any mention of the spring rate of the R6 shock.

ie

For larger riders (all of us fatties above 180lb), the recommendation for the FZ1 shock is a 600 - 650lb spring, with the shock revalved to handle it.

Where does the stock R6 spring fall in relation to this, and is the shock valved properly to handle it?

In other words, is the R6 a drop-in replacement for the stock FZ1 shock that will work without further mods for heavier riders?

The R6R shock comes with a 625# spring in stock form according to this post and would be valved accordingly for it. I bought mine off of Dean from after reading this thread. It was a drop in mod with the dog bones that Dean supplied. Took me about half an hour to remove the stock shock and install the R6R shock. I'm 190# without gear and I couldn't be happier with the shock.
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #25
grommet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
625# according to this post
Thanks I missed that one . . .

Old 07-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #26
Dean Dinnetz

The spring rate on the 2007 to 2010 R6R shocks is 625 pounds. Just about perfect for 170 to 250 pound riders. The valving is correct for the shock, also. Win/win situation for us all.
Dean
Old 07-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #27
Dean Dinnetz

Quote:

ie

Yes.
Dean
Old 08-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #28
stretch160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
The R6R shock comes with a 625# spring in stock form according to this post and would be valved accordingly for it. I bought mine off of Dean from after reading this thread. It was a drop in mod with the dog bones that Dean supplied. Took me about half an hour to remove the stock shock and install the R6R shock. I'm 190# without gear and I couldn't be happier with the shock.
This is a comon misconception (sp)
acording to racetechs spring rate calculator all of the r6 shocks from 2007 to present come factory with a 9.8 kg/mm shock spring (9.8 kg/mm = 550 lb/in) not 625 or 650 http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/...YZF-R6/2008-11
I have read claims from the originator of this mod as high as 650 lb/in
I confirmed the 550lb/in spring rate with a hydraulic press equipped with a pressure gauge at work.

Last edited by stretch160; 08-02-2011 at 08:49 PM.
stretch160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #29
stretch160

Quote:

ie

that depends on your definition of heavy, and rider.
I'm a 240 lb knee dragger (including 15lbs of riding gear) and my bike is equiped with Givi hard lugage (not light). Prior to the R6 shock swap I was running a FZ1 shock with a 700lb spring.
I installed the r6 shock with 130mm dog bones and with preload set to max It had 50mm of sag (measurement from fully extended to loaded with rider in riding position) This is not acceptable. I dissassembled the shock and added 8.6mm of shim (5mm above the spring and 3.6mm below). I also switched to 127mm dogbones. with the preload adjuster just 1 position out from max I now have 25mm of sag. That is my prefered sag setting for agresive canyon riding.
I would still prefer a higher rate spring, but this will work for the time being (cornering clearence is a constant issue).
The stock R6 shock comes with a 550lb spring, Not 625 or 650. http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/...YZF-R6/2008-11
I don't believe there is enough damping range to compensate for a significantly higher rate spring without revalving. (edit: I resprung with a 670 lb/in spring and the shock works perfectly)I curently have my 2009 shock set at 4 clicks out from full stiff on rebound. 4 clicks out from full stiff low speed compression. and 2.5 complete turns out from full stiff on high speed compresion. I find these settings work well for my weight and riding style on these bumpy mountain roads.

Last edited by stretch160; 03-06-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #30
grommet

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch160 View Post
that depends on your definition of heavy, and rider.
I'm a 240 lb knee dragger (including 15lbs of riding gear) and my bike is equiped with Givi hard lugage (not light). Prior to the R6 shock swap I was running a FZ1 shock with a 700lb spring.
I installed the r6 shock with 130mm dog bones and with preload set to max It had 50mm of sag (measurement from fully extended to loaded with rider in riding position) This is not acceptable. I dissassembled the shock and added 8.6mm of shim (5mm above the spring and 3.6mm below). I also switched to 127mm dogbones. with the preload adjuster just 1 position out from max I now have 25mm of sag. That is my prefered sag setting for agresive canyon riding.
I would still prefer a higher rate spring, but this will work for the time being (cornering clearence is a constant issue).
The stock R6 shock comes with a 550lb spring, Not 625 or 650. http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/...YZF-R6/2008-11
I don't believe there is enough damping range to compensate for a significantly higher rate spring without revalving.
I curently have my 2009 shock set at 4 clicks out from full stiff on rebound. 4 clicks out from full stiff low speed compression. and 2.5 complete turns out from full stiff on high speed compresion. I find these settings work well for my weight and riding style on these bumpy mountain roads.
Thanks for the info. I just ordered the shock from fleabay and will follow your advice. I'm 235 with all gear, so it should work well.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #31
86250rrippin

you will love it

03 fz1,83 v65 magna,03 zuki z434,81 olds cutlass .....all big fun
86250rrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:18 PM   #32
grommet

Shock in today. Let the metal cutting commence.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #33
stretch160

I'm still running the same low speed setting but have backed High speed compression damping off to 3 turns out,
Old 09-02-2011, 04:08 AM   #34
grommet

Shock is installed and working. It took a while because I had to fab the dogbones from scratch.

A few thoughts:

1. I have no idea how stretch160 got 50mm of sag at full preload. I set it 4 steps above the lowest preload setting and I only got 20mm. I backed it down to 3 and it's barely touching the 25mm range.

2. RE the above, I checked for binding and don't see any. I'll get someone really heavy to sit on it at work today and make sure there's nothing bound up.

3. The ride is MUCH stiffer than the stock shock. I'm considering putting all the settings at minimums and working up from there. I'll ride for a couple of days and get past the initial take.

4. Launching is much better. It used to sag a lot, now barely any. Planted is the word.

5. I went with the 127mm dogbones right off. Ride height is slightly higher than before but it's still fine for me. Headlight shines a bit lower, but no problem.

I'll report in with progress/feedback as I ride more.

So far I'm very glad I did this.

Edit:

Rode out for lunch today with a guy on a VStar and a Harley Sportster. The VStar guy is probably around 250-260. I had him sit on the bike and bounce it a bit. I can't see any binding - the linkage appears to be working completely normally.

Last edited by grommet; 09-02-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #35
stretch160

did you have someone measure the difference betwween the fully extended shock (you have to lift the back of the bike to top out the shock) or did you only compare the static sag to sag with you in the ride position?

I wonder if there is a diference between our shocks. I have an 09 (silver spring) I certainly felt the stock damping settings were too soft.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #36
grommet

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch160 View Post
did you have someone measure the difference betwween the fully extended shock (you have to lift the back of the bike to top out the shock) or did you only compare the static sag to sag with you in the ride position?

I wonder if there is a diference between our shocks. I have an 09 (silver spring) I certainly felt the stock damping settings were too soft.
Duh. I misread. I measured the static sag and rider sag separately. Now I'm with you. I'll measure again when I get home, but I think we're pretty close.

Edit: Here are the measurements:

Total sag is 42 mm, rider sag is 25. I have preload on the 3rd step from the lowest setting.

Last edited by grommet; 09-02-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #37
stretch160

that sounds about right then. I had about 1" of static sag with those settings. I also have a Givi set up on my bike wich is about like carying a 25-30lb passenger around with me when they are empty, so my numbers would be a little worse.
please pardon my poor line in the attached picture, it's the only good pic I have of my Givi set up. They may be heavy but they are also very durable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bags.jpg (50.0 KB, 463 views)

Last edited by stretch160; 09-02-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #38
kvcobra

Just got the R6 shock. Questions is on adjusting Fast / Slow compression damping. Looks like I have to turn the hex with the blue center and the blue center thing it self; however, when I try the hex nut I didn't feel any click in it and looks like the blue center hole is round or is it hex. Someone please advise... Thanks...

Attached Images
kvcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #39
Devilsyam
UK Pod Racer

whined the outa 12mm spanner clockwise till home mark[no clicks] with pencil outa and body to give ref point whined out 3 full turns as a starter blue inner whined clock wise till home then out 15 clicks these are rough settings

Www.Devilsyam.Com

(On me 5th FZ1)
Devilsyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #40
HoverLover

R6 Owners Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvcobra View Post
Just got the R6 shock. Questions is on adjusting Fast / Slow compression damping. Looks like I have to turn the hex with the blue center and the blue center thing it self; however, when I try the hex nut I didn't feel any click in it and looks like the blue center hole is round or is it hex. Someone please advise... Thanks...

Attached Images
Check page 4-21. It talks you through the shock setup. And yes, the blue adjuster is a hex.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/s...ZF_R6_1606.pdf

Good luck
HoverLover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering