register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 04-18-2011, 07:24 PM   #161
DCrippa

That's an awesome tap (what's up with the dry wall?) - and I agree on the lighter beer - once the deck is finished (half way there now) I'll have room to do a batch of pale and then I'm gonna go with a kolsch.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:46 AM   #162
photohawk
Subduction leads to orogeny!

It's a work in progress.

Check out my first RR: http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95331
photohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #163
DCrippa

Ah gotcha - figured you wouldn't put all that time into the handle and not sand and paint the wall.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #164
baconsandwich

Just put my latest batch of "Happy Pils" on tap, and all I can say is goddamm goddamm! So good it should not be legal!!! This is the beer that won me a silver medal last year and that batch SUCKED compared to this one!

Corbin seat / satan666 highway pegs / CRG knockoff bar end mirrors / CopperDawg Speedscreen / Mivv GP slip-on, carbon / PCIII / IM / FCE / Ivan's flies / BMC filter / gutted cat / Lars' airbox mod / AIS plugged with a marble / Acumen gear indicator / Blind Spot's fuel line mod / SV650 risers / OES sliders
baconsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #165
DCrippa

dude I gotta try some!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #166
baconsandwich

After I kegged, I filled a few bottles to give out as samples. One of said bottles literally has your name on it. It's gonna be nice this weekend, so I'm sure I'll want to take the Fizzy out to play. Just for shits and giggles, If you'll be around I'll bring you your bottle

Corbin seat / satan666 highway pegs / CRG knockoff bar end mirrors / CopperDawg Speedscreen / Mivv GP slip-on, carbon / PCIII / IM / FCE / Ivan's flies / BMC filter / gutted cat / Lars' airbox mod / AIS plugged with a marble / Acumen gear indicator / Blind Spot's fuel line mod / SV650 risers / OES sliders
baconsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:26 PM   #167
DCrippa

Hells yeah man - I got a lot of projects going on but I may be able to slip a ride in! Maybe - depends on a whole lot of sweet talk and promising not F'ing up mothers Day again!
Old 05-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #168
fz1eric

Alright guys, I've got a question for the 'experienced' homebrewers out there.

I just brewed an imperial pale ale last Friday (5/6) and I was planning to bottle this evening. Fermentation started within a day and ended around Thursday (did not notice any bubbles from airlock). When I opened the fermenter bucket today, I still noticed some small bubbles coming up through the wort. I put the lid with airlock back on the bucket and noticed that it started to bubble again (although very slowly).

Is this due to me opening the bucket and allowing air inside? Or is it possible that it is still fermenting? It has been 9 days since the addition of yeast. The OG was 1.084 (within range) and the FG was 1.021 (just within range).

I know it is not good to bottle while it is still fermenting, so I wanted to see if this was a common occurrence.

fz1eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #169
audioholicjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz1eric View Post
Alright guys, I've got a question for the 'experienced' homebrewers out there.

I just brewed an imperial pale ale last Friday (5/6) and I was planning to bottle this evening. Fermentation started within a day and ended around Thursday (did not notice any bubbles from airlock). When I opened the fermenter bucket today, I still noticed some small bubbles coming up through the wort. I put the lid with airlock back on the bucket and noticed that it started to bubble again (although very slowly).

Is this due to me opening the bucket and allowing air inside? Or is it possible that it is still fermenting? It has been 9 days since the addition of yeast. The OG was 1.084 (within range) and the FG was 1.021 (just within range).

I know it is not good to bottle while it is still fermenting, so I wanted to see if this was a common occurrence.

It certainly would not hurt to give it another day or so and check the gravity again and see if it changed. It is probably mostly all done though. If you were really worried about it you could transfer it to a clean carboy leaving the sediment behind and give it another week or so to finish and clear in a little cooler place. That's what I do with most of my beers before kegging and when I dry hop them.
15 tooth counter shaft sprocket, Holeshot Stage 2 jet kit, Holeshot slipon, Speedo Healer, AIS removed, TPS set Ivan's way, Carb coolant bypassed, Two coils clipped off the slide springs, relocated mirrors.

07 SV 650
Holeshot slip-on, Pilot Pures, bar-end mirrors, rear seat cowl, TFI tuning box and dyno tuning coming soon.

My Site
audioholicjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #170
DCrippa

+1 on racking it - I'd say from the drop in gravity you should be good. Though I didn't run the alcohol % calculation.... Couldn't hurt to do so. I don't think you had a stuck fermentation which can happen - more like the yeast plowed through the bulk of the sugars and settled - what you don't want is for them to reach a state of autolysis where they start cannibalizing themselves.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #171
DCrippa

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconsandwich View Post
Just put my latest batch of "Happy Pils" on tap, and all I can say is goddamm goddamm! So good it should not be legal!!! This is the beer that won me a silver medal last year and that batch SUCKED compared to this one!
Thanks again Greg for the samples - I can verify both beers were spectacular. Soon I'll get my brew on - just gotta finish the BBQ roof.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #172
fz1eric

Thanks gents...I'm going to let it sit for another day or so just to be safe. I only have a primary fermenting bucket and a bottling bucket, so no secondary. The abv works out to be 8.4% as it is now. I don't have much free time this week, so I was hoping to get it done tonight. Oh well.

I've got a sampler 12 pack of Dundee brewing in the fridge that I have been enjoying all week. I was really impressed with the stout and the bock.

Someday I'll have a set up like photohawk, someday...
Old 05-16-2011, 06:57 AM   #173
vsiddhartha

Hey Eric, with a beer that strong I would probably let it go at least 2 weeks just to make sure it's finished. You could bottle next weekend. Autolysis....in 6 years of brewing I've only had it once, on a beer that was in primary ~4 weeks. Many many other batches which typically sit in primary 2-3 weeks, never had a problem.
vsiddhartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #174
photohawk
Subduction leads to orogeny!

It's not unusual at all to see a few bubbles after disturbing the carboy even if it's finished fermenting, which by your change in SG I would say you are. That being said, when in doubt wait. I've had times when I was too busy with school/work whatever to bottle and had to let my beer sit in the carboy for a week or two longer than necessary without any ill effects. OTOH, I did once have a batch of Barley Wine that I bottled a little early and I can tell you that the mess you make in the kitchen on brew day is nothing compared to having a couple bottles rupture under the bathroom sink.

Check out my first RR: http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95331
photohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #175
Netdemon01

Only 4 more 16oz bottles left of my honey nut brown ale. I am getting ready to order another kit of ingredients and some equipment. I am leaning towards a clone kit of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

|2007|DIY F.E.|Lars Airbox|AIS Removed|Blockoff Plates|
|2Bros CF Slip-on|Blindspot's Fuel Line Mod|Naked Kit|Z750 Mirrors|
Netdemon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #176
DCrippa

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsiddhartha View Post
Hey Eric, with a beer that strong I would probably let it go at least 2 weeks just to make sure it's finished. You could bottle next weekend. Autolysis....in 6 years of brewing I've only had it once, on a beer that was in primary ~4 weeks. Many many other batches which typically sit in primary 2-3 weeks, never had a problem.
Yeah it sucks - I've only had it happen once as well... once is enough to learn never to let it happen again. Smelled horrible.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:32 AM   #177
DCrippa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz1eric View Post
Thanks gents...I'm going to let it sit for another day or so just to be safe. I only have a primary fermenting bucket and a bottling bucket, so no secondary. The abv works out to be 8.4% as it is now. I don't have much free time this week, so I was hoping to get it done tonight. Oh well.

I've got a sampler 12 pack of Dundee brewing in the fridge that I have been enjoying all week. I was really impressed with the stout and the bock.

Someday I'll have a set up like photohawk, someday...
Damn skippy! Those are are gonna be some two-beer buzz bangers (1 beer hits like two...) Watch out!
Old 05-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #178
fz1eric

Thanks on the advise gents, Im letting it sit till Sunday. I will be heading to Nashville for the weekend and I was planning to check out the Yazoo brewing company and Blackstone. Anyone have suggestions for microbrews in Nashville?

And yeah, this batch of homebrew should be a doozy
Old 06-16-2011, 07:06 AM   #179
DCrippa

interesting...

http://news.discovery.com/history/be...mkcpgn=rssnws1
Old 06-16-2011, 07:08 AM   #180
DCrippa

How'd the beer come out FZ1eric?

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion