register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 02-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #141
DCrippa

That's sweet!
Old 02-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #142
DCrippa

I wish I had as much into the cabinets as I do the kettles - would make the wife happy... So come tax refund - kitchen gets a makeover - and maybe I can slip in a few suspension upgrades lol.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #143
Biestie

Wow, didn't realize there was a homebrew thread. I built this over the weekend. Works great, probably won't substitute for a lagering fridge, but over the summer when fermentation temps become a concern it'll do nicely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110130_170129.jpg (38.4 KB, 90 views)
“One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary.” - Ayn Rand
Biestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #144
photohawk
Subduction leads to orogeny!

I'm intrigued, tell me more. What is your cooling source? Do you put ice in it? I see a little fan and a thermostat, or is that a humidistat?
I suppose there would be no need for a humidistat.

Check out my first RR: http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95331
photohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #145
photohawk

Are the rear compartments for cornelius kegs and the front for a carboy?

Old 02-03-2011, 09:00 PM   #146
Biestie

It's a thermostat. Front compartment is for the carboy. 2 year compartments are for ice. The airflow is... fan discharges into front compartment. Out of the front compartment through the notch in the upper left. Down the left rear compartment, into the right rear compartment (there's a gap between the two at the bottom) and up and back to the fan. In the rear compartments you put frozen milk jugs, 2 liter bottles, or whatever. Switch out the jugs as needed (I've had a carboy in there for a couple days and daily is plenty frequent). Fan kicks on, circulates the air past the frozen jugs, and voila... a fermentation chiller. The thermostat I bought only goes down to 45 and it'll maintain that no problem.

I wish I could claim the design as my own, but the plans are here...

http://home.roadrunner.com/~brewbeer...er/chiller.PDF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb226sT6qEc

The pluses are it was cheap to build. Almost 30$ for a sheet of 2" polystyrene, and 25$ for the thermostat. Everything else I had. Also, it's as light as a feather without the carboy in it, which is one of the reasons I decided to build it instead of getting a fridge/thermostat. I actually think it'll work for a lagering fridge, but unfortunately the thermostat I purchased only goes down to 45. But like I said, I really just wanted something to hold in the lower 60s in the summer, and it will do that no problem.
“One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary.” - Ayn Rand
Old 02-13-2011, 06:01 AM   #147
Biestie

I brewed the "Honey Bee Ale" from Midwest on Friday and it's got the biggest yeast cake in the bottom of the fermentor that I've ever seen (been extract brewing off and on for 15 years). The fermentables are 3.3 lbs light malt extract and 3 lbs Minnesota Clover Honey, and the yeast is the Headwaters Wyeast Activator http://www.midwestsupplies.com/name-our-strain-winner.

I'm really not too worried about it, but that sonofagun is close to 2 inches thick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110213_062811.jpg (33.8 KB, 75 views)
Old 02-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #148
DCrippa

cool!
Old 03-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #149
baconsandwich

Wow, nice to see that there are some other brewers on here! I have only scanned through the thread, but I thought I should "out" myself and let you know that I am one of you! I've been brewing my own beer since before I was legally old enough to drink it. These days I usually do all grain. Thanks to the wonders of ProMash I formulate my own recipes and I'm always experimenting on something new. My favorite recipe is for a Bohemian Pilsner that I call "Happy Pils."

Corbin seat / satan666 highway pegs / CRG knockoff bar end mirrors / CopperDawg Speedscreen / Mivv GP slip-on, carbon / PCIII / IM / FCE / Ivan's flies / BMC filter / gutted cat / Lars' airbox mod / AIS plugged with a marble / Acumen gear indicator / Blind Spot's fuel line mod / SV650 risers / OES sliders
baconsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #150
DCrippa

That sounds delicious. Great to see another fellow brewer on here for sure!
Old 03-26-2011, 05:36 AM   #151
baconsandwich

I'm brewing today!!! I belong to a homebrew club called The Wootown Brewers. A few times a year we pitch in together and make a big batch. Today we're making 90 gallons of American brown ale. A friend and I are also collaborating on a 10 gallon batch on the side, that one will be a Belgian strong golden ale.

Corbin seat / satan666 highway pegs / CRG knockoff bar end mirrors / CopperDawg Speedscreen / Mivv GP slip-on, carbon / PCIII / IM / FCE / Ivan's flies / BMC filter / gutted cat / Lars' airbox mod / AIS plugged with a marble / Acumen gear indicator / Blind Spot's fuel line mod / SV650 risers / OES sliders
Old 03-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #152
DCrippa

Nice way to spend a Saturday. I've been meaning to join the local brew club here called B.U.R.P - brewers united (for) real potables - checked out one of their meetings once - was really cool they even had a broomstick bass and band playing. Everyone samples and brings an offering (usually in the form of a 5 gallon soda keg) - I haven't had any offering for a while so I haven't been back. But I did pick up a lot of my bottling and Kegging gear for a good price off an old member. Just like this forum all walks of life and some really interesting and creative / well balanced people.

Once I fix up my backyard with a leveled stone patio it'll be on.

That's a pretty impressive volume! Microbrewery? Full on permanent installation or a back yard setup?
Old 03-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #153
baconsandwich

It's basically a back yard setup, just bigger. It consists of four big stainless steel drums. Two serve as mash tuns, the other two are boil kettles. Everybody pitches in, everybody takes home a fermenter full. And we eat and drink all day.

I do know of BURP, in fact I entered my Happy Pils in their "Spirit of Free Beer" homebrew contest last year and took 2nd place in the Pilsner category

Old 03-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #154
DCrippa

Sweet thats great and congrats on the win - that's quite an achievement / no small feat considering all the ones I tried when I went were stellar! Would love to try your happy pils recipe sometime - that is if its not a secret.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #155
baconsandwich

I could divulge the recipe. It's actually pretty basic, no wizardry in it or anything. It just boils down to paying attention to doing the little things, having the fermentation temperature just right, and so on. I just made 10 gallons of it a few weeks ago. It's in the cold conditioning phase right now, I should have it kegged and ready to drink in about a month. DC ain't far from Baltimore...

Old 03-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #156
DCrippa

Dude I'd make the trip though I know I wouldn't be riding back the same day ;) - and photohawk I've been meaning to say, that's one bad-ass sauna!
Old 03-26-2011, 11:27 PM   #157
DCrippa

Currently enjoying this:

Feelin' pretty good
Old 03-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #158
photohawk

Yeah, a full growler by myself usually leaves me feelin' pretty good too.

And thank you for the compliment. It was a very labor intensive project, but well worth the effort.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #159
photohawk

Since building the bar I've been trying to come up with some sort of unique tap handle. Then while parting out my old YZF race bike I came up with this. IMG_0114fz1oa.jpgWhat do you guys think?

Old 04-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #160
baconsandwich

@ photohawk: best tap handle ever!!!

It's time to brew again today! I'm whipping up 10 gallons of Petite Saison, a nice refreshing "lawnmower" beer for the upcoming hot weather. Hopefully I'll be done with the brew session in time to take the FZ out for a ride later, but I'm off to a late start. Did a good bit of drinking last night...

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion