register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 06-16-2011, 08:53 AM   #181
fz1eric

The brew turned out great. After a couple weeks in the bottle, the initial "bite" smoothed out and the aroma of the Columbia hops shined through. It's tough to drink more than 2 in 1 sitting with an abv around 8.5%, but its still a very enjoyable beer.
fz1eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:10 AM   #182
Netdemon01

I bottled Monday night, 5 gallons of a clone kit of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Smelled absolutely delicious! S.G. went from 1.048 to 1.015 so it is looking pretty good. This batch looks like it cleared up a lot better than my last batch of honey nut brown ale. For the honey nut, I did primary fermentation in a bucket, and secondary in a glass carboy. For SN Pale Ale, I was able to use the V Vessel for primary, secondary, and bottling. It worked out great! Very anxious for 2 weeks to pass so I can cool a bottle down and try it out.

|2007|DIY F.E.|Lars Airbox|AIS Removed|Blockoff Plates|
|2Bros CF Slip-on|Blindspot's Fuel Line Mod|Naked Kit|Z750 Mirrors|
Netdemon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #183
vsiddhartha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netdemon01 View Post
I bottled Monday night, 5 gallons of a clone kit of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Smelled absolutely delicious! S.G. went from 1.048 to 1.015 so it is looking pretty good. This batch looks like it cleared up a lot better than my last batch of honey nut brown ale. For the honey nut, I did primary fermentation in a bucket, and secondary in a glass carboy. For SN Pale Ale, I was able to use the V Vessel for primary, secondary, and bottling. It worked out great! Very anxious for 2 weeks to pass so I can cool a bottle down and try it out.
SNPA is a great beer to clone. If you're looking for clear beer, here's something that took me 5 years to figure out. If you use Whirlfloc (refined irish moss), don't add it with 15-20 minutes left in the boil like the directions say. Add it with 5 minutes left, and it works MUCH better!
vsiddhartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #184
DCrippa

+1 to that I do the same thing - and if you stir it once the bubbles subside - it collects all the trub in the center of the pot.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:54 AM   #185
baconsandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrippa View Post
Very cool!!!!

Hey, how's that deck/BBQ project coming? We should do a brew-and-Q day sometime this summer

Corbin seat / satan666 highway pegs / CRG knockoff bar end mirrors / CopperDawg Speedscreen / Mivv GP slip-on, carbon / PCIII / IM / FCE / Ivan's flies / BMC filter / gutted cat / Lars' airbox mod / AIS plugged with a marble / Acumen gear indicator / Blind Spot's fuel line mod / SV650 risers / OES sliders
baconsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #186
DCrippa

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconsandwich View Post
Very cool!!!!

Hey, how's that deck/BBQ project coming? We should do a brew-and-Q day sometime this summer
Definitely!

Take a look:

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...t=eighth+grade

it's ready to rock and roll - been focusing more on BBQ lately - but I'm down to get a session in one of these weekends - lets plan on it.

The brew tree is hiding behind the right leg - you can kinda see it sticking out... but it can be moved anywhere now and has adjustable legs to keep it level. I fired it up the other day to make sure there were no leaks - got a bit of surface rust in parts where the powder coat flaked off... but still works... boiled up a huge pot of water for some corn ....
Old 06-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #187
DCrippa

Hmm maybe a smoked lager...
Old 06-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #188
baconsandwich

Dude, that looks AWESOME!!! Nice work.

We definitely need to get a session on soon. Between your equipment and mine we can run two 10 gallon batches at once, and both of us can keep 5 gallons of each batch. All the while the meat smokes so when we are done brewing, we feast!

I'm brewing here tomorrow or Sunday, doing the petite saison again. That one was very popular and it disappeared quickly. Since then I have had many requests for more.

I also did a British ordinary bitter recently, that should be on tap in a week or so

Corbin seat / satan666 highway pegs / CRG knockoff bar end mirrors / CopperDawg Speedscreen / Mivv GP slip-on, carbon / PCIII / IM / FCE / Ivan's flies / BMC filter / gutted cat / Lars' airbox mod / AIS plugged with a marble / Acumen gear indicator / Blind Spot's fuel line mod / SV650 risers / OES sliders
Old 06-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #189
DCrippa

Oooh I'd love to try the Bitter - I love Bitters.

Thanks I'm glad it's done - finally moving on to other projects that have been sitting for far too long. Brewing is definitely one of them. I may go for a ride tomorrow... if I do I'll hit you up maybe swing by to say whats up.

I dig the dual session - would kinda be like juggling lol. Got any plans for the Fourth? We could do it that weekend...
Old 06-19-2011, 12:33 AM   #190
H1 Rabbit

Smile

You guys should be here this weekend. I'm working the Washington Brewers Festival... Always a good time.
H1 Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:53 AM   #191
DCrippa

That does look like a good time. I've toyed with the idea of relocating to WA - I've got some family friends that live up there and was really taken back by the beauty of the landscape.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #192
H1 Rabbit

Smile

Yeah, the event was a lot of fun (as always). I deal with all of the music and stage entertainment. I just wish we could have gotten through an entire weekend without the rain. I'm so sick of this Spring/Summer's weather...
Oh well, we have to have these stretches on occasion so that everything stays so green.

Let us know if you ever get out this way. We'd love to see you... and buy you some beer(s).
H1 Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #193
DCrippa

That's awesome - do you run FOH? I'll definitely keep your offer in mind if I ever come to visit! You all have great beer.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #194
02fazer
Class A Nubtard

Nice to see so many fz'ers into homebrewing also. I have been brewing for a few years, basic brew in a bag keggle, cfc chiller yadda yadda... 4 kegs on tap and 25 gallons bulk aging atm, I switch back and fourth from extract to Ag biab.

2002 Blue Fz1, Ivans MB kit & AIS delete , ported carb boots, GYRT slip on, DDM 35w HID's, Bikemaster superbike bars
02fazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #195
DCrippa

Hi great to see another brewer!

Figured I'd share a link - I got my conical fermenter (was one of their prototypes) from these guys.

Highly recommended.

http://www.blichmannengineering.com/
Old 07-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #196
DCrippa

Good times yesterday baconsandwich, thanks for all your help and making thew brew day a success! I can't wait to taste the fruits of the labor...

Kolsch coming along nicely...

This was the most ADHD brew session ever... even got the midi drums out to jam on.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #197
baconsandwich

Yeah it was a fun day with lots of good food and drink, and cool people as well!

Old 07-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #198
Biestie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsiddhartha View Post
Hey Eric, with a beer that strong I would probably let it go at least 2 weeks just to make sure it's finished. You could bottle next weekend. Autolysis....in 6 years of brewing I've only had it once, on a beer that was in primary ~4 weeks. Many many other batches which typically sit in primary 2-3 weeks, never had a problem.
I forgot there's a homebrew page on this board. Anyway, this is something that I've been experimenting with since I heard this podcast...

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/616

John Palmer (How To Brew), and Jamil Zainasheff (authored Brewing Classic Styles with John Palmer) talk about the advantages of leaving your beer in primary for longer and the idea that you need to get it into the secondary or bottle it soon after the fermentation subsides is kind of dated information. I now typically leave mine in the primary for about a month, and have left some as long as 2 months with no issues. I'm convinced that Palmer's right when he talks about the yeast "cleaning up after themselves" because my beers are better than ever. I'm convinced that if you pitch enough yeast, and have a healthy fermentation, autolysis is a non-issue. I don't even transfer my beer to a secondary to dry hop anymore.

the discussion starts at about the 25 minute mark.
“One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary.” - Ayn Rand
Biestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #199
vsiddhartha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biestie View Post
John Palmer (How To Brew), and Jamil Zainasheff (authored Brewing Classic Styles with John Palmer) talk about the advantages of leaving your beer in primary for longer and the idea that you need to get it into the secondary or bottle it soon after the fermentation subsides is kind of dated information. I now typically leave mine in the primary for about a month, and have left some as long as 2 months with no issues. I'm convinced that Palmer's right when he talks about the yeast "cleaning up after themselves" because my beers are better than ever. I'm convinced that if you pitch enough yeast, and have a healthy fermentation, autolysis is a non-issue. I don't even transfer my beer to a secondary to dry hop anymore.
I always let it finish in primary. But for ales, I never let it go longer than 3 weeks (usually I will bottle, keg, or rack to secondary for dry hopping after 2 weeks). I had a beer in primary for 5 weeks once because I was busy and it did have a hint of a rubbery flavor. Autolysis maybe? It didn't ruin the beer, but you could definitely taste it. It was a healthy fermentation as well. Normal gravity beer, fresh yeast, starter, aeration, etc. As for the yeast "cleaning up after themselves", yes they do, however most micro/craft breweries transfer ales from primary to bright tanks after 5-10 days...and they brew some pretty good beers!
vsiddhartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:38 AM   #200
DCrippa

That's interesting I'll have to give it a listen, wonder what has changed to make it dated information... I'm not chancing it though have had a batch go bad before due to autolysis... I will be racking it off for secondary once the fermentation settles down to one bubble a minute.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion