register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 01-11-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
vsiddhartha

The Homebrewing Thread

I know rockhound, photohawk, and fz1eric brew...any other homebrewers out there?
vsiddhartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
jasonk
Brew, Farm, Bake....repeat

a little bit, getting back into it though.
jasonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
anthyd
uHm beer good

I don't brew I distill.
anthyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
zenrider
Computational Fluid Dynamicist

I finally got my first cornelius keg setup. I've been bottling for years and have been hearing friends praise the simplicity of kegging, so I thought I'd give it a try. They were right! Its amazing how easy kegging is. I kegged a batch a couple days after Christmas and it was a snap. I think bottling will still be useful for those "special" batches that I want to keep around for a long time. But for the regular batches of pale ales & porters that I frequently make, I am going to be kegging from now on.

Anything special you like to brew? Any favorite recipes?
zenrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
vsiddhartha

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthyd View Post
I don't brew I distill.
Well you have to brew to distill don't you? What are you making? I'd really like to try my hand at making whiskey one day. Right now time and space are a concern, not to mention the cost of a decent still and a small barrels (do some people use oak cubes instead?). Are there any good web resources out there for distilling?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
fz1eric

Thanks for starting this thread...

Zenrider-sounds like you have a nice setup with the kegs. I just bottled my first batch of amber ale, and was very happy with it. Once I am confidnet in my brewing ability, I think this would be a great way to brew your favorite beer.
fz1eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #7
vsiddhartha

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenrider View Post
I finally got my first cornelius keg setup. I've been bottling for years and have been hearing friends praise the simplicity of kegging, so I thought I'd give it a try. They were right! Its amazing how easy kegging is. I kegged a batch a couple days after Christmas and it was a snap. I think bottling will still be useful for those "special" batches that I want to keep around for a long time. But for the regular batches of pale ales & porters that I frequently make, I am going to be kegging from now on.

Anything special you like to brew? Any favorite recipes?
Yeah, kegging is great. You go from spending 2.5-3 hours bottling, to 30-45 minutes to fill a keg. And of course having beer on tap is just great period.

I don’t really have any favorite recipes. I wing it a lot, but I have a few recipes that seem to make repeated appearances at my taps.

- Denny Conn’s Rye IPA (phenomenal)
- D.C.’s Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter (brew it once a year)
- HBA’s Oregon Rascal Golden Ale (takes a few weeks to come together...I think it's the Willamette hops)
- HBA’s Repeats Wicked Brown Ale (better than the original)
- Terrapin Rye Pale Ale clone (hop bomb!)
- My House Pale Ale with pale 2-row, Crystal 10, wheat, Chinook (bittering), and Columbus (flavor/aroma), and Chico yeast
- a light ale that I make with pale malt, minute rice, noble hops, and Chico yeast

I also like to brew the occasional Belgian Dubbel or Tripel. I don't brew many British/Scottish styles, and nothing too wacky. I like hoppy pale ales and pilsner, so mostly, that's what I want to brew. Right now I’m working on Czech pilsner, which I want to get good at. My first one is lagering as of last week. Planning to start trying decoctions for the pilsner sometime in the next month or so.

What about you...any favorites?
Old 01-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #8
photohawk
Subduction leads to orogeny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthyd View Post
I don't brew I distill.
My brother in law is making a still. I look forward to trying the results.

Check out my first RR: http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95331
photohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:10 PM   #9
photohawk
Subduction leads to orogeny!

Can anyone tell me how to determine IBU's?

Check out my first RR: http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95331
photohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
vsiddhartha

Quote:
Originally Posted by photohawk View Post
Can anyone tell me how to determine IBU's?
You could do this.

Or just download the trial version of Promash, and buy it if you like it. I use Promash on the default settings.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #11
jasonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsiddhartha View Post
Well you have to brew to distill don't you? What are you making? I'd really like to try my hand at making whiskey one day. Right now time and space are a concern, not to mention the cost of a decent still and a small barrels (do some people use oak cubes instead?). Are there any good web resources out there for distilling?
there are several books out there...try amazon. Bill Owens and Ian Smiley write some books that will help. Newer is better in alot of ways as much of the newer books really use science as opposed to "grandaddy did it thisaway".

if you want to build your own you can do so cheaply. (see http://www.moonshine-still.com/page2.htm) An internal reflux or variable reflux design will allow you to make "inefficient" distillations for whiskey, mooshine etc. It will also enable you to make more efficient distillations so you can make neutral grain spirits (vodka) that you can finagle into whatever you want (gin, absinthe, etc).

For essences and other distillery related stuff check out the brewhaus.com site.

Also, distilling is illegal unless you have a federal permit. i don't distill and I have never had my motorcycle above the speed limit.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:33 PM   #12
fz1eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsiddhartha View Post
- Denny Conn’s Rye IPA (phenomenal)
- D.C.’s Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter (brew it once a year)
- HBA’s Oregon Rascal Golden Ale (takes a few weeks to come together...I think it's the Willamette hops)
- HBA’s Repeats Wicked Brown Ale (better than the original)
- Terrapin Rye Pale Ale clone (hop bomb!)
- My House Pale Ale with pale 2-row, Crystal 10, wheat, Chinook (bittering), and Columbus (flavor/aroma), and Chico yeast
- a light ale that I make with pale malt, minute rice, noble hops, and Chico yeast
Do you do your brewing with all grains or do you use malt extracts? What are the main differences between the two? The liquid and dry extracts that came with the kit seems very easy, especially for a novice like myself.

I would love to try the vanilla porter you mentioned after a little more experience.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #13
vsiddhartha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonk View Post
there are several books out there...try amazon. Bill Owens and Ian Smiley write some books that will help. Newer is better in alot of ways as much of the newer books really use science as opposed to "grandaddy did it thisaway".

if you want to build your own you can do so cheaply. (see http://www.moonshine-still.com/page2.htm) An internal reflux or variable reflux design will allow you to make "inefficient" distillations for whiskey, mooshine etc. It will also enable you to make more efficient distillations so you can make neutral grain spirits (vodka) that you can finagle into whatever you want (gin, absinthe, etc).

For essences and other distillery related stuff check out the brewhaus.com site.

Also, distilling is illegal unless you have a federal permit. i don't distill and I have never had my motorcycle above the speed limit.
Haha. Thanks for the info. And I never brew above the federal limit for beer, and I pay $25 a year for an NJ state permit...ha!
Old 01-11-2010, 06:13 PM   #14
vsiddhartha

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz1eric View Post
Do you do your brewing with all grains or do you use malt extracts? What are the main differences between the two? The liquid and dry extracts that came with the kit seems very easy, especially for a novice like myself.

I would love to try the vanilla porter you mentioned after a little more experience.
Yeah all grain. Differences...AG is cheaper. There are more grains you can use. It gives you more control over the color and fermentability of the wort. It's not really any more difficult, but it takes more time on brewday and requires some more equipment.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #15
Rockhound
7 kinds of Smoke

SWEET Thread VSidd! I haven't been able to brew since I had to put all my stuff in storage to being the moving across the USA process.

I will be following this for sure. I am definitely still a rookie and have a basic set-up, but it sure is fun.

Next brew will hopefully very similar to Fullers ESB. So far I made a Stout, Brown, and then I had to pack it up...lol.

*oh and the funny part is the wife bought me the kit as a hobby to do by myself so I don't bother her for a couple of hours (i told her i'd like to get into it), BUT I make her help me bottle...
Rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #16
Rockhound
7 kinds of Smoke

what's the federal limit for beer for the homeowner to make?
Rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:43 PM   #17
fz1eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
What kind of setup do YOU have goin?

PS- You still out west working with oil or are you back in NY?
Old 01-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #18
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

Quote:
there are several books out there...try amazon. Bill Owens and Ian Smiley write some books that will help
Wow, small world. I knew Bill way back when. He started the 2nd brew pub in California,
and it was my second home for many years along with several of my best friends.
Somewhere I have some pretty good pics of Bill at a few of the Buffalo Bills picnics
Bill is quite the guy, renowned photog and brewer. Never made any really good beer,
but he was (and still is I imagine) quite a character. Had no idea he did books on distilling.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:52 AM   #19
jasonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
Wow, small world. I knew Bill way back when. He started the 2nd brew pub in California,
and it was my second home for many years along with several of my best friends.
Somewhere I have some pretty good pics of Bill at a few of the Buffalo Bills picnics
Bill is quite the guy, renowned photog and brewer. Never made any really good beer,
but he was (and still is I imagine) quite a character. Had no idea he did books on distilling.
He's now the head of the American Distilling Institute (ADI). He is basically trying to push artisan distilling much in the same way his brewpubs and books about homebrewing did back in the day. He's a nice guy and he's still pretty energetic. I talked to him on the phone for a bit this past weekend. The thing I really like about the guy is his knack (and willingness) to demystify the process. Alot of people hoard info but he puts it out there to see what people can do with it. The recent surge of microdistilleries is just the beginning. I think those that enjoy fine spirits are in for a new age in the coming years.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:03 AM   #20
jasonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
200 gallons per household with 2 or more adults
100 gallons per household with only one adult

http://www.homebrewersassociation.or.../united-states

Unless you got absolutely crazy I can't imagine a scenario where going over this would cause you any problems.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion