click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Tips & Techniques

Old 01-13-2020, 09:04 PM   #1
Oldirtyrider
I fall alot

Uneven lanes on a highway ??

Do you try to step up ? Is it possible without crashing ? I got stuck behind a slow ass cage the other day and I was on a section of the interstate that was being paved and the next lane over to my left was new and about 1 1/2" step up .

I didn't try it . I didnt even know if it was a thing or if its just better to stay stuck in your lane .

Yall ever step up one of those lanes @ 70mph ?
Oldirtyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:00 AM   #2
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

I've done it, on purpose and also by accident. It feels like you're sliding down them as you cross but I didn't have any big problems.
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:40 AM   #3
fermic37

yeah, its just sketchy, move to the opposite side of your lane then hit it, so you're on more of an angle.

But my girlfriends mother went down trying to do this, her father hopped up on it fine, but she was too parallel to the step up. Broke a few bones and had some road rash.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:41 AM   #4
fermic37

double post.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:35 AM   #5
bradd
Working away

Yes, don't try to carefull move over going up, you just rub your tires against the side of the asphalt and as mentioned might crash. I try to get over to the far side of my lane and at least get something like a 30-35 degree angle on it.

First time we hit one of those with my son following me he wouldn't do it, I showed him like 3 or 4 times so he could see the angle I was getting.

I always have fun jumping down!
Old 01-14-2020, 04:17 PM   #6
sloowpoke

Take it like railroad tracks... firm grip on the bars & raise your butt off the seat so any abrupt movement of your steering or frame won't impair your control. Like gratings, it feels worse than it actually is.
sloowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:28 PM   #7
Desmo
I'll take a Corona!

Have done it many times. Especially on PCH, never had an issue. Yes it seems sketchy but you just need to avoid going parallel to the ridge. Make a decisive move and you’ll be fine.
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:37 PM   #8
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Wheelie before proceeding. Half the chance the tar devil snags your tire!

j/k. Square it off to the extent possible, use your MSF riding over obstacle training, etc
Old 01-14-2020, 04:48 PM   #9
Cougar
Nerd Herder

I've done it many times. If you're not willing to do so you might as well not ride around here during road construction season, which is most of riding season.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:23 AM   #10
jared p
^ guy

I'll usually swing it a little wide then cut across it so i have more angle against the step up, running it parallel will run ya a higher risk of it stepping out.
jared p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 04:58 PM   #11
sloowpoke

Had an interesting encounter with uneven lanes today. Crap falling off a truck in front of me, so I did an obstacle avoidance maneuver, left into the raised lane. Having the bike leaned over when you hit that raised edge isn't fun at all. I kept it together, but stopped to see what bottomed out on the left side of the bike, afterwards. I was expecting to find a chunk of fresh asphalt on the kickstand, but everything looked normal.
sloowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Tips & Techniques