register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 10-15-2018, 08:18 PM   #21
Desmo
Mein Führer!

Quote:
I’ve seen folks show up to the MSF without any knowledge about riding or function. I don’t want her to be that person.
That's exactly who the MSF is designed for.

Don't go and fvck it all up by "preparing her".

My .02
Old 10-15-2018, 08:41 PM   #22
Scoose
What the.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrider View Post
I would also invest in a pair of bluetooth intercoms if you don't have it already. You can tell her what's coming up when you are riding together so she isn't surprised by a fast car or a child crossing the road or anything
Ya we both have the sena 20. Money well spent.

I used to have a long sig but then Desmo stopped talking to me.
Scoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:42 PM   #23
Scoose
What the.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
That's exactly who the MSF is designed for.

My .02
That’s the name of my game!

Old 10-16-2018, 05:45 AM   #24
Wonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCROOOSE!! View Post
She has decided to trade in passenger pegs for grips and controls. She grew up on 4 wheelers and mopeds but it has been many years since she has driven either.

So what did she get?? A new 2018 Raven R3. ( I’ll post pics tonight. )

We got the bike home and she ran inside and got her gloves and helmet on and wanted her first lesson immediately. I have to admit I was a little apprehensive at first but she is a sponge for the info and she is picking up on the clutch and brake usage pretty good. We haven’t left first gear yet but she has ridden about 50 yards without a problem and even turned it into the driveway on her final 50 yard pass.

I’m trying to get her ready for the MSF course. I’ve seen folks show up to the MSF without any knowledge about riding or function. I don’t want her to be that person. I’d like for her to have a basic knowledge and confidence about herself so she will get more from the course.

I’ve covered the basics with her and she is doing well. I’m reaching out to you guys and gals for some input for getting new riders ready for the street. I’m sure some of you have some best practices to share.
That MSF course at the Honda facility is fantastic. She'll have a great time. I took a dirt riding/Trail course there at the same place I enjoyed watching everyone doing their drills. You are very quickly off and running by mid-morning. If you pay attention though you can see the remnants of a few over confident, or rookie mistakes. A tire and headlight shaped dent and mark on one of the storage buildings for example. The best part is you get your choice of ride, from the Grom to the Rebel to the CB300 and I saw a few on the CB500. Way better than the clapped out 250's our local MSF course used back in Indiana. Plus, if she comes away from this wanting a Honda instead, you just got yourself a 300 track bike!!!

My wife wants a the new Monkey very badly. She has really bad arthritis in both hands, though and I just worry she doesn't have the strength to really handle it. Not sure what to do there.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:50 AM   #25
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Sounds great Scroose, glad to hear she'll be out there riding with you. on those intercoms, excellent communications while wearing helmets. Beats yelling and screwed up hand gyrations. Beauty of a bike too, that thing will be fun everywhere but especially a blast on places like Wolf Pen Gap.

Good to finally meet you as well. Had a great time at TWO.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:54 AM   #26
Wonger

We went up to TWO on Saturday right around 11:00, but were quickly out of there as we got a later start than we planned.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:47 PM   #27
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

I’d say change those crappy OEM tires as soon as possible (I assume they still use that ADV looking tires for OEM). Bridgestone S21’s are awesome sport tires, cheap, and should last at least 6-7K on that 328cc. Used the S21’s on my Track SV when I started and after 4 track days still has no discernible wear and STUCK. Couldn’t get them to break.

And then when I see y’all at the next meetup, perhaps lemme have a go. I think a lightweight would be a BLAST in the mountains.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:28 PM   #28
Scoose
What the.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
I’d say change those crappy OEM tires as soon as possible (I assume they still use that ADV looking tires for OEM). Bridgestone S21’s are awesome sport tires, cheap, and should last at least 6-7K on that 328cc. Used the S21’s on my Track SV when I started and after 4 track days still has no discernible wear and STUCK. Couldn’t get them to break.

And then when I see y’all at the next meetup, perhaps lemme have a go. I think a lightweight would be a BLAST in the mountains.
The OEMs are Pilot Streets. Plenty good for her and they get pretty good reviews as far as mileage. The aggressive riders don’t think much of them though

Old 10-19-2018, 06:15 PM   #29
WileECoyote
Rebel Scum

Location: Bridgeville PA, its not Ten Cee but okay for now......
I think it is fantastic she wants to ride. Need more women riders. My daughter is visiting this week and she has drug me out 3 times. I haven't been up to doing much but, when she says go, we go. Very treasured times.
I imagine it'll be great to be able to ride with your wife, memories alone will be priceless.

WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:38 PM   #30
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!

Fantastic!!!
Old 10-19-2018, 07:06 PM   #31
sloowpoke

Quote:
That's exactly who the MSF is designed for...
Actually it wasn't. The Basic Riders Course was specifically designed to familiarise someone who already rides, with the critical street skills identified in the Hurt Report as those most important to avoid crashes. The occasional non-rider who showed up with the bike on a trailor, or had someone else deliver the bike to the course for them, rarely completed the course successfully.

In 1995 the new management of the MSF decided to alter the BRC, dumbing it down so non-riders could pass the course.

I understand there has recently been discussion about reintroducing the skills eliminated in 1995 from the BRC. I suspect this may be due to the grassroots movement calling for decertification of the MSF BRC in various states.

Joe (MSF Instructor 1982-1995)
sloowpoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:23 PM   #32
Scoose
What the.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
I think it is fantastic she wants to ride. Need more women riders. My daughter is visiting this week and she has drug me out 3 times. I haven't been up to doing much but, when she says go, we go. Very treasured times.
I imagine it'll be great to be able to ride with your wife, memories alone will be priceless.
Indeed my man!!! She is pretty exited about it!!

None of my kids ride. They had a motorcycle when they were young to learn on but none of em took to it. You can lead a horse to water....

OTOH my dad does ride. And I head up to Athens to hook up with him when I can. Good times!!!

Old 10-26-2018, 12:32 PM   #33
Scoose
What the.......

Quote:

I’ve been fvcking it up for her pretty good lately!!

She has been Working on the clutch and throttle relationship from a stop in 1st gear. She’s still a bit nervous getting the bike moving but with every successful attempt at getting the bike rollin she gains more confidence. Coincidentally she is a cover 1 rider from jump. I haven’t even acknowledged it with her...but I did notice.

Also, she has been doing her own updates on the bike. She has removed the rear fender and put in the integrated tail light and she has installed her own wind screen. She tells me she’s not doing oil changes though

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion