register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 03-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #161
okaugust
Hey there big boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzyrider View Post
Neither, as far as I'm concerned. I didn't get a bike to join a social group. For some, that seems to be the main appeal. Whatever.
But without it, I wouldn't have found this lovely space in the world with all you zany people I consider some of my best friends.

And I can appreciate that it brought us here. And to the gathers the epics the rallies.

It isn't the reason I ride, but it is a most excellent subset of.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #162
MotorPsycho
Getting slower

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaugust View Post
But without it, I wouldn't have found this lovely space in the world with all you zany people I consider some of my best friends.

And I can appreciate that it brought us here. And to the gathers the epics the rallies.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:31 PM   #163
fizzyrider
Too stupid to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaugust View Post

I should probably clarify then.

Obviously, a post whore like myself is not adverse to fraternizing. The Stain and I often marvel at the number and quality of people we've met merely because I bought an FZ1 and sought out info on the intranets.

So, I'm not making a judgement call, and I hope you don't take it that way. To me, and probably a lot of others here, the folks we've met (think: EPIC) are the icing on the cake, but not the sole reason we chose to ride bikes in general and this one in particular.

- Some Loser
fizzyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #164
Slash1
like ridin' on air

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzyrider View Post
That whole "brotherhood" of bikers may have been more relevant back in the day, but IMO it doesn't really apply today. It's not exactly an exclusive club anymore.
I don't think the "brotherhood" thing ever applied universally, i.e. outside of biker gangs. Certainly the 1 %ers didn't have any affinity for "the nicest people" on the Hondas back in the 60s.
Slash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #165
Deacon51
The guy on the tee shirt!

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I have never met anyone in a Aerostich that I didn't like. I'm sure there are some jerks in dayglow roadcrafters, but I haven't run across one. On the other hand, I have never met anyone in black leather chaps and a novelty helmet that I wanted to share a beer with.

Regardless of brand.
"Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. The reality of your own nature should determine the speed. If you become restless, speed up. If you become winded, slow down." -- Robert M. Pirsig, author of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"

Google+
Join the AMA
Deacon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:44 PM   #166
Rttoys
insurance poor

Back on topic, here's one of my HD stories:

After I bought my V-Max (back in '02) the wife and I went to the Republic of Texas Biker Rally with a bunch of our Harley friends. We met up with everyone at the rally grounds, walked around looking at stuff and then the trash talking started to fly. "I have Sream'n Eagle this and that.....bla bla bla", "Oh ya, well my bike has scream'n Eagle this and that, plus that....bla bla bla"....."well I dyno'ed bla bla bla".....I've got 10k in my motor alone...blablabla"..."I can out run you anytime...bla bla bla"

The ex-wife and I just sat back and listened while rolling our eyes. they then turned to me asking what I've done to my bike (like they cared), I said, just a Cobra exhaust and a backrest so the lady doesn't fall off. was their reaction.

Well, we leave the rally grounds all together and they take off reving the dog snot out of their bikes. Of course we are at the back of our group so I just kind of 'keep up' with them. Well well well We are at a stoplight all sitting there side by side no one in front of us and a long straight away. We were all in the right lane side by side, I (ex-wife on the back, all of them running solo) was 3rd row back at the end of our group and there were cars in the left lane. They are all reving their bikes just choping at the bit to take off. I tell my ex-wife "when we clear these cars I'm coming over and wasteing them." So she was ready.

Well, the light turns green and we are off. I stay in 1st as I clear the car next to me, move over and proceed to full throttle...... As I qiuck shift 1 to 2 the front wheel flies in the air (normal for a V-Max) and comes down, by 2nd gear I've caught the guys in the front, pound 2 to 3 and do another short wheelie as we are now gone and she is waving at them.

We get to the next light and they were none too happy with me. Needless to say we never talked about "who's faster" the entire weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03240.JPG (134.4 KB, 793 views)

'07 Yamaha FZ1- Micron GP slip-on, kitty gutted, Ivan's flies, Ivan's ECU programming, Exup eliminated, AIS blocked, air box mod, BMC filter, PCIII, synchronized throttle bodies, Corbin seat, Powerbronze screen, FZ6 Handlebars, Throttlemeister, Dunlop Q3

2009 Ducati Hypermotard
2014 Yamaha TW200
2013 Kawaski Ninja 300
2018 Honda Grom 125

FZ1- exhaust sound clip
2012 Honda Fury sound clip

CMRA #982
Rttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:42 PM   #167
fazerG8R

We’ve got a regular Saturday morning ride to somewhere or another for breakfast. Over the years we’ve had one of our regulars pick up a Buell, and we’ve also got a couple of Harley Sportster’s riders (good guys) that show up pretty often. In the off season or when there’s inclement weather we’ll gather locally for a Saturday morning breakfast and bull session. Recently, at the Harley end of the table discussion turned to "What fell off recently?" and “What’s the biggest can of Loctite?”. The sport bike end of the table about fell out of their chairs when the Harley end decided they needed it by the gallon.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:02 PM   #168
bicklebok

RTtoys,

Love the story! Those V Max's are something else! I saw one at the dragstrip last year with a beginner riding it and he was running in the low 11's in the quarter.

Identical twin brother of the late forum member Sammax
bicklebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #169
abe57
"King-of Bee's"

Rttoys....love that V-max and the color !!! Just love it !!

Maybe So,What do You Think?
abe57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #170
Slash1
like ridin' on air

Ditto, I'm really diggin' Mr. Max. Nice little story, too. Kinda like poppin' ducks in a bathtub, eh?
Slash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:01 PM   #171
old77zrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseiam View Post
There's a guy on another forum I frequent that has been bragging up his 110 inch Harley. We've talked him into bringing it out to the strip in April to put up or shut up. Should be fun to watch.
You got to video tape it....the look on his face after the race of course
old77zrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #172
Duken4evr
Map Maven

It just blows me away that anyone on a Harley that is not a purpose built nitrous swilling drag bike thinks they can outrun a V-Max. Maybe they could if you pulled 2 plug wires...

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #173
old77zrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Dumbdog View Post
Cause it's funny....
think about it....
every panhead, knucklehead, shovelhead comes complete with it's own shithead!
That was hysterically funny. Can't wait for the opportunity to use it.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #174
old77zrider

I was at a Christmas party talking very politely about motorcycles with a retired successful businessman who puts 35k miles a year touring the country on a 24k dollar Harley that he spent 10k more modifying. 35k dollars!!
He said that he would never tour on anything but a Harley. I had to ask why. He blew me away when he said, "Because when you break down no matter where you are in this country a Harley dealer is within a hundred miles". What logic!
This guy was a millionaire! How does this happen?
Old 03-05-2010, 06:43 PM   #175
JonDaddy82
Professional Slimeball

Went to an event at my sister store the other night:

Our bartender spilled a drink so she gave us fresh drinks AND free shots. Can't beat walking around a showroom after pounding a few drinks. No wonder why they are selling 15+ bikes a day there during Bike Week.

10.1 at 137

2007 FZ1 | 2015 FJ-09 | 2015 FLTRXS | 2014 WR250R | 2015 FX SVHO | 2017 Teryx4 LE |
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #176
outlaws Justice
Outlaws Justice

Vmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash1 View Post
Ditto, I'm really diggin' Mr. Max. Nice little story, too. Kinda like poppin' ducks in a bathtub, eh?
Yes the V-Max will knock off the Harleys, but I have been know to take out a few squids in the twisties with a max as well. (Sure makes them feel bad)

Some of you might remember this trip to Maryland.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:20 PM   #177
colefan
Exploited all my life.

Outlaws: I was always impressed with your avatar pic. These two are even better.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #178
stmoluni
Stee-Mo-Loo-Nee

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaws Justice View Post
Some of you might remember this trip to Maryland.
I witnessed that display of skill personally. In fact, that may be my blue FZ-1 in the background. You are in Total Control of that bike!

Hey Dave, How many Harleys show up for a Total Control class? Or do they just skip to the more advanced Lay er Down class!
stmoluni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:56 PM   #179
okaugust
Hey there big boy

When I took the Total Control class, I took it with 10 active duty military men. There were a couple of Buell touring bikes, three sport bikes, me on my FZ and two Harleys, can't remember the exact bikes and types total, but the two guys on Harleys did a fair job of trying to get the bikes to run the course. We did talk about how they weren't set up for exactly what the class taught, based on where the foot pegs are, running boards, etc. The riders did a good job of making the bikes work out.

The military paid for them to take the class, and they were all really open to what it was trying to teach. Probably not your typical HD riders though, really. But I was impressed.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:07 AM   #180
Racer Boy
I'm married to a Norwegian!

Stop being so reasonable and fair, Tina!
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion