register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 02-16-2010, 07:21 PM   #41
NJFZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Another mind blowing moment for me came while driving a friend's late model modified Corvette. That thing is no fooling around and serious as a heart attack. I tended to underestimate cars, even high end ones, prior to that experience. Not so much after driving that meat eating tire shredding spin em at any time (once the traction control nanny was turned off) beast. I think an FZ1 would run it to 100 to 110 mph or so, but after that, it is lights out. The Corvette just hits it's stride at 100 mph and keeps going and going. Holy crap. It is like a Hayabusa on 4 wheels
You're not kidding! When I had my lightly modified '02 Corvette there weren't too many bikes keeping up after 120 MPH. The aerodynamics favor the car too much...

Ok, now back to the subject at hand...any more good stories
NJFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #42
upinsmoke
What ya gonna do about it

More please

2014 Triumph STR
upinsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #43
Slash1
like ridin' on air

Quote:
I do think that the average owner who thinks his Harley is "fast" would absolutely pee in his pants if he dared ride bitch on the back of my FZ1 during a spirited canyon ride or better yet, a track day
Funny thing, an HD-owning friend of mine came out to visit a few years back, and I took him for a ride on the FZ1. Mind you, he'd never been on anything but a Harley before. (Not that he's a jerk about them. He appreciates other bikes, but had just never tried anything else yet at the time.) We got out to the big 4-lane with no traffic on it and I lit into it hard. I don't remember how fast I was going when I shut it down, but the size of his eyes when we got back told me it was fast enough.
Slash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:49 PM   #44
phydeaux
Elongated-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd S View Post
Thanks for pointing that out to me, there, ya friggin' geniuses...

(note the joke I posted...)

-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd S View Post
OK, so I'm not so big on the HD bashing threads, but I'm looking forward to hearing JD's stories about the customers.

Though I did hear a good one not all that long ago:

What's the difference between a Harley and a vacuum cleaner?
The location of the dirt bag that says he can wheelie in 3rd gear!

-T
now it's fixed
phydeaux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:55 PM   #45
outlawyer
2009 Bill Buckley Award Winner

Harley probably has the biggest percentage of first time street bike owners than anybody. Every one of them I know who has one is their first street bike. They really don't know any better as far as performance, and then they have Jon Daddy telling them it's the most powerful bike made in America.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:33 PM   #46
JonDaddy82
Professional Slimeball

Naaaaaa, I don't mislead them at all. Ironically, the majority of people I have sold to so far have no illusions of HD powah, they just want to cruise. Again, that's so far. Another interesting fact is how honest Screamin' Eagle is. They have RWHP dyno charts in their catalogue, and they are actually accurate...about 64 HP on a stock 96ci bike. I'll give HD's credit where credit is due, a chimp could ride one. The low speed maneuverability and balance is impressive...

10.1 at 137

2007 FZ1 | 2015 FJ-09 | 2015 FLTRXS | 2014 WR250R | 2015 FX SVHO | 2017 Teryx4 LE |
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:24 PM   #47
Racer Boy
I'm married to a Norwegian!

I agree, they are really easy to ride, and very user friendly.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:39 PM   #48
WRAITH
DEVGRU Rocks

As is my LazyBoy.

Happy Landings..."E.K."
WRAITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:09 AM   #49
treva

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Dumbdog View Post
Cause it's funny....
think about it....
every panhead, knucklehead, shovelhead comes complete with it's own shithead!
Now that's funny.
treva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:29 AM   #50
treva

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDaddy82 View Post
Naaaaaa, I don't mislead them at all. Ironically, the majority of people I have sold to so far have no illusions of HD powah, they just want to cruise. Again, that's so far. Another interesting fact is how honest Screamin' Eagle is. They have RWHP dyno charts in their catalogue, and they are actually accurate...about 64 HP on a stock 96ci bike. I'll give HD's credit where credit is due, a chimp could ride one. The low speed maneuverability and balance is impressive...
Jeees, another 6months selling HD, & JD may jump ship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
treva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:04 AM   #51
jasonk
Brew, Farm, Bake....repeat

Quote:
The low speed maneuverability and balance is impressive...
I rented an anniversary model ('03 I think) Road King on my honeymoon. I was definitely impressed by the low speed maneuverability but the thing wouldn;t stop for shit. And when I was at a stoplight the mirrors would shake so bad I couldn't tell if I had a bike messenger or a dumptruck behind me. it was real smooth when underway but felt like a weed wacker in my hands at stops.

Last edited by jasonk; 02-17-2010 at 07:25 AM.
jasonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:02 AM   #52
fizzyrider
Too stupid to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonk View Post
And when I was at a stoplight the mirrors would shake so bad I couldn't tell if I had a bike messenger or a dumptruck behind me.
Funny.
fizzyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:24 AM   #53
dirt2road
dirt2road

My boss rode small twins in his youth during the 60's. Did not ride again till the mid 90's when he bought a used Yamaha 650 Special. After a year or so he has bought and sold maybe 8 HD's.

He probably has 3 now including a Road King, Heritage, and one with what looks like a Laz-E-Boy on the back---I think an Ultra.

He goes on trips with a H.O.G. group where many people have dropped their bikes and some have ended up in bad shape. They preach safety, but none are skilled on performance bikes and most of them probably could not even pick their bikes up when they drop them.

At near retirement age, he is dead scared of my 2008 FZ1, he only looks at me in disbelief when I tell him about the performance mods and it's speed and acceleration abilities.

I have ridden all of his bikes, which are fun for assorted purposes, but he does not want to ride the FZ1
dirt2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:27 AM   #54
Duken4evr
Map Maven

HD has done a great job of making a very rough unbalanced engine smooth while underway. It is odd to see that big engine moving around at idle though.

Victory makes a better more powerful engine and has a better chassis IMO. If in the market for one of these, I would go with a Vic Cross Country 8 Ball type deal. I could see kicking it on one of those

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:14 AM   #55
'Dumbdog

Quote:
HD has done a great job of making a very rough unbalanced engine smooth while underway. It is odd to see that big engine moving around at idle though.

Victory makes a better more powerful engine and has a better chassis IMO. If in the market for one of these, I would go with a Vic Cross Country 8 Ball type deal. I could see kicking it on one of those
I'd sooner bolt a lazy-boy chair to my lawnmower....
'Dumbdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:22 AM   #56
stangmata

Quote:
I've ridden a few Victory motorcycles and really enjoyed them. I wouldn't mind a Vegas at all.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #57
JonDaddy82
Professional Slimeball

Quote:
Originally Posted by treva View Post
Jeees, another 6months selling HD, & JD may jump ship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Naaaaa. Friends jokingly ask when I'm going to buy a Harley, and I have a simple response: "When my Yamaha breaks".

10.1 at 137

2007 FZ1 | 2015 FJ-09 | 2015 FLTRXS | 2014 WR250R | 2015 FX SVHO | 2017 Teryx4 LE |
Old 02-17-2010, 08:26 AM   #58
JonDaddy82
Professional Slimeball

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmata View Post
I've ridden a few Victory motorcycles and really enjoyed them. I wouldn't mind a Vegas at all.
+1. I HATE Polaris, but the Victory stuff is nice. I've got some seat time on a Vision, and it's the cats pj's for two up riding.

10.1 at 137

Old 02-17-2010, 08:29 AM   #59
stangmata

Quote:
+1. I HATE Polaris, but the Victory stuff is nice. I've got some seat time on a Vision, and it's the cats pj's for two up riding.
I agree when it comes to Polaris ATV's, but I love their snowmobiles. I've had 6+ Polaris sleds over the years and they have all been amazing. I figured with how mediocre their quads were, that a Victory bike could be about the same. However, I found the quality to be really great and the bike extremely comfortable. Maybe someday.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:31 AM   #60
nurseiam

You guys know that HD products have their place in society. I just bought my wife a Buell blast. The main reason for that is it is the only bike that doesn't require extensive modification for her to ride on comfortably. She is barely 5 feet tall with maybe a 28 inch inseam. There are a lot of sport bikes she would love to have, but when lowered enough for her to ride they have no ground clearance. HD products are great for those people who are too short or timid to ride something with power and handling of our FZ1's.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion