register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 10-04-2018, 02:16 PM   #5041
okaugust
Hey there big boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jredford View Post
...let me guess...”Silly woman don’t know nuthin...”

Let’s just say I encouraged him to ride down next time and I’d take him for a spin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBiker View Post
It's not just HD riders that feel they know how to ride without any skill training but they all by far are the largest majority.

I'm amazed by the misconceptions they have regarding controling their behemoths. I was in the Tail of the Dragon and heard one HD rider advising another HD rider (a woman) not to use the brakes but use the transmission to slow down for the turns. YIKES!!!! Talk about really poor advice.
I hope she lived.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:58 PM   #5042
jredford
Musical Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaugust View Post
Let’s just say I encouraged him to ride down next time and I’d take him for a spin.
Dead man walking.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:59 PM   #5043
organ donor

Quote:
I hope she lived.
Not if you were stuck behind her.
organ donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #5044
Damascus

Quote:
Originally Posted by organ donor View Post
Harley's are surprisingly quick and nimble stuck in 2nd gear through mountain curves.

No, really.

I mean it.
Past: 1981 Kawasaki 440 LTD, 2000 Yamaha VStar 1100, 1999 Honda Valkyrie GL1500C, 2002 Honda VFR800 Interceptor, 2002 Yamaha FZ1, 2000 H-D Sportster XL1200, 2006 Suzuki GSXR 1000, 2008 Yamaha FJR1300, 2010 H-D Road King 103, 2011 Triumph Speed Triple 1050.
Present: 2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring
Damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:12 PM   #5045
okaugust
Hey there big boy

Quote:
Good point.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:31 PM   #5046
OldBiker

I rented a HD Street Glide last January while visiting my cousin in LA. Took the HD into the canyons, sheesh,scraped the floorboards on the first set of turns and that was at the speed limit too. Can you say SLOW! I will say that it felt fine doing figure eights in the parking lot at about 5mph.

I was waiting for the rest of my group at the Tail and she did live but it took her almost 40 to 45 minutes to do the 11 miles.
OldBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:09 PM   #5047
Skiman
Renaissance Man

Quote:
I was waiting for the rest of my group at the Tail and she did live but it took her almost 40 to 45 minutes to do the 11 miles.
That means she averaged around 15 or 16 mph and must have taken the curves at less than 10! How long was the line behind her when she finished?
Skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:10 PM   #5048
Fitty
Let's Ride!

On my trip to NC a few weeks ago, we got behind a woman on the Dragon, on a fairly large Harley of some sort, who was going very slow. To her credit she finally pulled over and stopped to let us by, which appeared to be fairly difficult to do. She did eventually show up at the overlook though.

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:05 AM   #5049
grommet
kinetic mentality

A woman

on a hog

on the dragon

. . .

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:07 AM   #5050
okrider

I'm sure my girlfriend would ride just as fast on a hog as she does on her fz6 on the dragon. Most people on hogs on the dragon are slow, no matter what gender..
okrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:21 AM   #5051
phydeaux
Elongated-American

Quote:
It's not just HD riders that feel they know how to ride without any skill training but they all by far are the largest majority.

I'm amazed by the misconceptions they have regarding controling their behemoths. I was in the Tail of the Dragon and heard one HD rider advising another HD rider (a woman) not to use the brakes but use the transmission to slow down for the turns. YIKES!!!! Talk about really poor advice.
This could be good advice (in a backwards way). If she goes so slow that engine braking and downshifting are sufficient, she may be safer.

Most of the time I try not to use the brakes. Set up for turns by engine braking and not hauling ass on straights.
Then again, it's on roads I know and I am a semi-competent rider.
phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:43 AM   #5052
organ donor

I was going to point out yesterday that rev matching downshifts and using engine braking is a legit riding technique. This is essentially what is happening when you see a motard rider backing it into corners. However, I deleted it because I'm sure that's not the context of the conversation that was being had between the two riders in question, but to say using engine braking is terrible advice isn't really true either.
organ donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:28 AM   #5053
Wonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydeaux View Post
This could be good advice (in a backwards way). If she goes so slow that engine braking and downshifting are sufficient, she may be safer.

Most of the time I try not to use the brakes. Set up for turns by engine braking and not hauling ass on straights.
Then again, it's on roads I know and I am a semi-competent rider.
Yeah, I know I'm getting my ass handed to me when I start having to use a lot of brakes when I'm riding along in my group. It means I'm accelerating too much in between. I'm already at or over the speed limit in the curves anyway. There's something subconscious that makes me try to keep up to a point. A couple turns, and I'm thinking, "Peace out, see you at end of the road."

I'm almost glad I spent my squidly youth in dead flat northern Indiana. I would have been toast if I had a bike in my teenage years here in N. Ga or even southern Indiana. There's definitely a competitive side that thinks, can I get on the throttle a few feet sooner than the guy in front of me? That crap needs to stay the track where you generally know what's around the corner.

Nick's Sportriding Techniques was a Godsend, and I'm glad I read that when I first started riding.

I have a hard time riding faster than what I can see. Especially on dual-sport rides. I'm usually at the very back of the pack on dirt. 80% due to lack of talent, and 20% due to lack of ...
Old 10-08-2018, 06:33 AM   #5054
Wonger

Quote:
I was going to point out yesterday that rev matching downshifts and using engine braking is a legit riding technique. This is essentially what is happening when you see a motard rider backing it into corners. However, I deleted it because I'm sure that's not the context of the conversation that was being had between the two riders in question, but to say using engine braking is terrible advice isn't really true either.
I think you're right on both ideas. It's a good technique, but probably not what was really meant during that discussion.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:38 AM   #5055
okaugust
Hey there big boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonger View Post

I have a hard time riding faster than what I can see. Especially on dual-sport rides. I'm usually at the very back of the pack on dirt. 80% due to lack of talent, and 20% due to having brains ...
Fixed it for you.

I know I can't keep up with most of you in corners. I won't even try. I'm out to have a good time for myself and not get a ticket at my age.

Which is not to say I don't like a spirited ride, but riding for yourself and not to impress shows brains.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:43 AM   #5056
Lickety Split

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaugust View Post
Fixed it for you.

I know I can't keep up with most of you in corners. I won't even try. I'm out to have a good time for myself and not get a ticket at my age.

Which is not to say I don't like a spirited ride, but riding for yourself and not to impress shows brains.
After following you for a couple hundred miles, I think you are being a little modest.
Lickety Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:47 AM   #5057
okaugust
Hey there big boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickety Split View Post
After following you for a couple hundred miles, I think you are being a little modest.
I think you would lose me in a heartbeat up in the mountains though.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:12 AM   #5058
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

All theSe years and I still don’t know how to embed a YouTube video. Oh well. Well worth the watch. We’ve seen the Nazi Warroom scene parody before but this gave me a good chuckle. It’s all about RIDING TO STURGIS. https://youtu.be/y4v4Tx_ABRc
Old 11-03-2018, 08:02 AM   #5059
grommet
kinetic mentality

You embed youtube videos like this:

[youtube]y4v4Tx_ABRc[/youtube]

Take note it's just the last part, after the last /

That gives you this:

If you're wondering how I got the [youtube] tag to show up, quote my post and look at what's in it. The [noparse] tag tells the system to ignore other tags.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:47 AM   #5060
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Thanks! Now watch the video and chuckle

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion