register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering

Old 01-27-2007, 02:25 PM   #281
WDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetRider
. I find the above comment somewhat "nutty" and a wee bit over the top if it suggests that suspension upgrades be limited as suggested.
OK - you lost me. Why is it nutty to go to experts when seeking advice on suspension? Curtis and Lee are good sources. So are others. Find and go to someone who knows what they're doing. I didn't state that you could ONLY go to Curtis and Lee. Geez..............
Old 01-29-2007, 07:33 AM   #282
SunsetRider
Liberal Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDD
Find and go to someone who knows what they're doing. I didn't state that you could ONLY go to Curtis and Lee. Geez..............
Then we agree.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:43 PM   #283
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!

I have this mod completed and took the bike for a short spin today to get some gas (I still have carb synch and TPS adj. to do for Ivan's install). Initial feel of the bike is very nice. My current suspension settings are what the shop manual has listed as recommended. Obviously I will be tweaking this as I get static sag set and get out and do some more shakedown on it.

Glenn, thanks for doing the R&D on this and getting it out to us, and also for the help you've given me.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:26 PM   #284
SteveO

I was just wondering if it would help the handling of my FZ if I replace the stock rear spring with a Hyperpro 650# spring along with replacing the stock dogbones with the shorter ones to raise the rear 1" for better turn in? I wanted to try upgrading the rear first then re-spring the front end later on so I can feel the effects of the changes. I'm on a tight budget and want the best bang for my $$. I'll never do a track day and my riding style would be considered mildly aggresive. I weigh 245# and the rest of the bike is pretty much stock.
Thanks,
SteveO
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:53 PM   #285
RavenRider
Old But Not Slow

SteveO,

I'll pm you.
Traxxion Dynamics Installation & Service - Minnesota
651-304-7286
RavenRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:02 PM   #286
Last*fz1

Question

Any ideas why i would have bad low speed headshake under 5000 kms on bike?
Last*fz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:06 AM   #287
arkie6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last*fz1
Any ideas why i would have bad low speed headshake under 5000 kms on bike?
Front tire is a possibility. What make, type, mileage, and air pressure do you have on your front tire?
arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:38 AM   #288
WDD

I bet you've got the stock BT 020 on the front.......
Old 03-07-2007, 08:59 AM   #289
Last*fz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDD
I bet you've got the stock BT 020 on the front.......
I bet you are right stock tire bt 020
Old 03-07-2007, 10:09 AM   #290
RavenRider
Old But Not Slow

The to stock BT020s do this bike no favors for handling or traction when compared a number of other tire choices.

Also I have found many riders do NOT adjust the chain and thus wheel alignment as close as needed for the best handling.
I personally use a vernier caliper to set my axle adjusters. After checking my wheel alignment using SportRyder's wheel alignment procedure I found the swing arm to axle carrier blocks to be very accurate. I simply measure the distance from the back of the swingarm to the aluminum axle blocks on each side and adjust them within .003" or closer.
My Gen 1 - FZ1 (03) with 73K miles and the original head bearings does NOT have any head shake at any time.
As a side note. I use Mich. Pilot Powers on both ends.
hope that helps.
Traxxion Dynamics Installation & Service - Minnesota
651-304-7286
RavenRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:38 AM   #291
curtis

Hi SteveO,

We've found that the stock shock's rebound circuit cannot adequately cope with the significantly stiffer 650 lb./in. shock spring you mentioned in your post. Just swapping out the rear spring solves one problem, but creates others (by not having adequate rebound damping). After all, we're talking about a 50% or so stiffer spring than stock. I strongly recommend revalving the stock shock in order to control the much stiffer spring you'd need for your weight and the way you ride.

I know cost is an issue, but for $350, you can't beat the bang for the buck you'll get. You'll get fresh oil and nitrogen charge, revalve, new spring, the clickers set about where you'll want them and all the after sale support you could want.

Most, if not all, of my customers find they don't have to invest in shorter dogbones after the shock work is done as the bike's geometry will be much improved with the upgraded vavling and stiffer spring.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to help.

Curtis
Owner, California Suspension Works
(650) 968-6144
curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:41 AM   #292
Last*fz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis
Hi SteveO,

We've found that the stock shock's rebound circuit cannot adequately cope with the significantly stiffer 650 lb./in. shock spring you mentioned in your post. Just swapping out the rear spring solves one problem, but creates others (by not having adequate rebound damping). After all, we're talking about a 50% or so stiffer spring than stock. I strongly recommend revalving the stock shock in order to control the much stiffer spring you'd need for your weight and the way you ride.

I know cost is an issue, but for $350, you can't beat the bang for the buck you'll get. You'll get fresh oil and nitrogen charge, revalve, new spring, the clickers set about where you'll want them and all the after sale support you could want.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to help.

Curtis
(650) 968-6144
Hello Curtis what size spring would i need for my 260 lbs and what would the cost be in canadian funds ?thanks
Old 03-07-2007, 11:52 AM   #293
curtis

Hi Last,

I'll need more information about you and how you ride to make a recommendation. I'll PM you now.

Thanks,

Curtis Pell
Old 03-07-2007, 05:05 PM   #294
SteveO

Curtis,
Thanks for info and offer. As you mentioned the cost is an issue. If I can manage to come with an extra $350 plus shipping I'll consider it.
Thanks,
SteveO
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:11 AM   #295
curtis

No problem SteveO. We'll be here when you're ready. You won't believe the difference it makes!

Curtis Pell
California Suspension Works
(650) 968-6144
Old 04-03-2007, 10:22 AM   #296
OREFZ

Talking low cost suspension mods are awsome!

Tried shorter dog bones alone a few hundred miles ago. Improvement, rear more planted a bit quicker turn in. Recently dropped front 5mm. Also installed new rear tire. Metz. M1 at great close out price. Bike is now amazing. Very planted, much quicker turn in, way less front dive. I am hesitant to tear down forks, cut springs. At this time I am much happier with bikes handling. Much improved over stock. Picked up aluminum flat stock for about $6.00 total investment. I am sure some improvement comes from new rear tire but the bike feels sooo much better than before, for so little effort and cost. I would recomend these minimal mods to anyone with stock suspension. You will like the results. I am aprox. 200lbs. and love this bike, by far the best I've ever had. Got to go ride!!
2005 blue
full muzzy, aluminum can
Ivan's mb kit
stripped to reduce wieght, aprox.440 dry
crg bar end mirrors
$6 suspension mod
OREFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #297
Grad
FZ1 newbie

What are you all using for your front fork settings?

I am 165 lbs and have a new 600lb racetech spring on the rear shock. I did RRs fork mod and the bike rides a lot better, but the turn in is really bad. I have the front forks raised 6mm in the triple tree and I have 2 lines of preload showing on the front suspension.

I want the bike to turn in and hold a line, right now it stands up and wants to plow straight through a turn.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:21 PM   #298
sportryder
Quiet Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grad
What are you all using for your front fork settings?

I am 165 lbs and have a new 600lb racetech spring on the rear shock. I did RRs fork mod and the bike rides a lot better, but the turn in is really bad. I have the front forks raised 6mm in the triple tree and I have 2 lines of preload showing on the front suspension.

I want the bike to turn in and hold a line, right now it stands up and wants to plow straight through a turn.
oops... that's a Hypercoil shock spring Brad. We don't use RaceTech springs at the shop.

Sounds like you might have too much internal spring preload on the forks. Verify your static sag numbers. The front needs to be 20-25 mm. With you on board, it should be somewhere between 30 and 35. Possibly a bit more. Email me lee@traxxion.com if you have questions regarding how to measure sag.
sportryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:28 PM   #299
Grad
FZ1 newbie

Just want to add my experience to this thread:

After doing the front fork mod, upgrading the rear shock to a 600 lb hyperco spring and then adding the dogbones per RRs instructions, the bike has been completely transformed. It handles like it is glued to the road now and soaks up the bumps and undulations superbly.

Incredible mod, I can't imagine why every single owner doesn't do the same thing (unless they buy aftermarket springs for both the front and the rear).
Old 04-10-2007, 11:29 AM   #300
SO FUN
Preparing for states 49 & 50

My rear shock is off to CSW as I type. Can't wait to get it back & ride again. Touring should be a much less, "wallowing down the highway," experience this year.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering