register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering

Old 05-15-2018, 07:54 PM   #1
mran556

Uh i think somethings bent in my front end

Ok so my problem child is having some issues. I think somthing is bent in the front end. Heres what im thinking and what ive done. Have you guys heard of any issues like this with the fz? Im new to fzs and the forum so i dont have alot of knowledge on fz parts that fail.

My issue i have alot of buzzing in the handle bar. It increases with speed. Theres a high pitch buzzing and when i get over 75ish. Theres actully a buzzing that takes place in addition to the high pitch buzz. It goes from my left hand grip to the right then back to the left back and fourth.

If im doing about 80 and let go of the bars i start to get a mini tank slapper the handle bars shoot back and forth only like 3/8ths of a inch. Not enough to send me into the guard rail but ya.

What ive noticed
The top triple tree is off like 4 to 7 degrees to the right all the time when tracking straight 10mph or 150.. Is it common for the lower triples to bend easy? Thats kind of what im thinking

What ive done to the bike fromt end.
I put a s1000r shock on which raised the rear like 20mm after i put it on the handle bar shimmy became evident it wasn't there before. There's now more weight on the front end so that makes sense..

Ive had the forks out and put 1kg/mm springs in.
New tire which i mounted but have not balanced but it was there before as well.
Took the stem nut and realigned the triples (which didmt make any difference.
Front wheel bearings are fine
Forks seem to be straight and a semi straight piece of metal to check them with.

I haven't check the fromt axle yet
I also havent removed the upper and lower triples to check them yet.
I got new bars torqued to spec
The bar holder which goes on the upper triple torqued to spec also.
Rotor run out seems fine
Havent check the front wheel for run out yet.

Sorry this is sloppy any help is much appreciated tho!
mran556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:56 PM   #2
mran556

First gen fz1 2002 btw
Old 05-15-2018, 08:19 PM   #3
klj7734
Banned

Some have put BBs in there handlebars to stop the vibrations.

Raise your forks 5mm in the triple tree.
With the rise of the rear with the BMW shock the drop of the front end from raising the forks will allow for better handling.
klj7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:48 PM   #4
LiquidSilver
Bad Cattytude

Raising the rear actually puts more weight on the rear not the front. It's a common misconception. If you situate yourself on the bike differently then maybe you can slightly overcome that and weight the front more.
It would be difficult to bend upper or lower triple tree. The fork tubes will bend long before anything else.
Balance your front wheel to get rid of the handle bar wobble.
Check your fork tubes for straightness. Sync your carbs to reduce handle bar buzz, although you may never be rid of it all. Lighten your grip so the buzz doesn't bother you so much.

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:42 PM   #5
Wizbyu
Wizbyu

You raised the rear 20mm which changed the rake and trail, steeper rake will sometimes cause shimmy all depending on how your suspension is set up as Liquidsilver said it's a misconception of more weight on the front wheel,what dose happen with the rear raised is weight transfer, the front wheel gets loaded faster when you let off the throttle or brake some people think of it as more weight on the front.You say you had the forks out , As Dave Moss says after a crash big or small ( yes I see you did not crash ) the forks need tobe Realined in the triple trees, ( I always do this after removing the forks )You set forks in triple trees at same height to your choosing tighten the top bolts leave the bottom loose, tighten your axel then push down on the bike with the brake on 4 or 5 times compressing the forks it's to center the tubes, now tighten the bottom bolts to the triple trees. And you mite check your rear wheel alignment, is it on the same marks on each side, and make sure it did't walk of the face of the adjuster bolt as you tighten the nut down on the axel Iv'e seen it happen a lot of times.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:09 PM   #6
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

How many miles on current tires ? Can you check steering stem play ?

Hands off at 80 would require a stout knee grip on the tank and some crouching to defeat any aero wallow.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:28 PM   #7
isleoman

All inline fours have vibration in the handlebar. Some more than others.

You've used the word buzz a couple of times are you saying buzz = vibration below 75mph and become an audible buzz above or just a vibration that seems to move back and forth?

Do you suspect the bike was crashed? Do the triple tree full turn stops look normal? Tank is undented? If your triple was as displaced as your thinking I would think your front tire would be unusually worn.

Worn tires and chain contribute a lot to "excess" vibrations in the bar. I have a 2012 S1000r shock on one of my FZ1s and it's a quicker steering setup but vibes are normal and no head shake.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:58 PM   #8
mran556

Quote:
Originally Posted by klj7734 View Post
Some have put BBs in there handlebars to stop the vibrations.

Raise your forks 5mm in the triple tree.
With the rise of the rear with the BMW shock the drop of the front end from raising the forks will allow for better handling.
Raising the forks 5mm is just going to make it turm quicker i thought? It handles much more like a sport bike with the shock alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSilver View Post
Raising the rear actually puts more weight on the rear not the front. It's a common misconception. If you situate yourself on the bike differently then maybe you can slightly overcome that and weight the front more.
It would be difficult to bend upper or lower triple tree. The fork tubes will bend long before anything else.
Balance your front wheel to get rid of the handle bar wobble.
Check your fork tubes for straightness. Sync your carbs to reduce handle bar buzz, although you may never be rid of it all. Lighten your grip so the buzz doesn't bother you so much.
Ive heard of a few bike where the triples bend before the forks its almost never the upper triple from what ive heard. I will check the front wheel balance soon. That could be cause some of the issues but the handle bar shake was there with a different tire and the stock suspension as well. The triples are still off to the left. Ill try to get a carb sync tool soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizbyu View Post
You raised the rear 20mm which changed the rake and trail, steeper rake will sometimes cause shimmy all depending on how your suspension is set up as Liquidsilver said it's a misconception of more weight on the front wheel,what dose happen with the rear raised is weight transfer, the front wheel gets loaded faster when you let off the throttle or brake some people think of it as more weight on the front.You say you had the forks out , As Dave Moss says after a crash big or small ( yes I see you did not crash ) the forks need tobe Realined in the triple trees, ( I always do this after removing the forks )You set forks in triple trees at same height to your choosing tighten the top bolts leave the bottom loose, tighten your axel then push down on the bike with the brake on 4 or 5 times compressing the forks it's to center the tubes, now tighten the bottom bolts to the triple trees. And you mite check your rear wheel alignment, is it on the same marks on each side, and make sure it did't walk of the face of the adjuster bolt as you tighten the nut down on the axel Iv'e seen it happen a lot of times.
Ive set the rear tire alignment properly a few times. Just put a new chain on etc. I also took the forks out loosened the steering stem nut religned the upper and lower triple etc still off when riding in a straight line. I do understand its putting more weight on the fromt or loading it but it still shouldn't be slapping the handle bars like this. It is much better now tho after i aligned everything but it still happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboot View Post
How many miles on current tires ? Can you check steering stem play ?

Hands off at 80 would require a stout knee grip on the tank and some crouching to defeat any aero wallow.
Tires are brand new prolly 1500 miles now i ride alot. Yes i can just got some 2x4 so i can jack it up by the headers. I have a pit bull front stand so i havnt been able to check them yet this way. Now i can use the car jack tho to check the steerimg stem bearings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleoman View Post
All inline fours have vibration in the handlebar. Some more than others.

You've used the word buzz a couple of times are you saying buzz = vibration below 75mph and become an audible buzz above or just a vibration that seems to move back and forth?

Do you suspect the bike was crashed? Do the triple tree full turn stops look normal? Tank is undented? If your triple was as displaced as your thinking I would think your front tire would be unusually worn.

Worn tires and chain contribute a lot to "excess" vibrations in the bar. I have a 2012 S1000r shock on one of my FZ1s and it's a quicker steering setup but vibes are normal and no head shake.
Tank has a small dent, i do believe its prolly been crashed at a slow speed. Yes triple tree stops look good no visible damage but i havent taken the lower triple out to rly inspect it. Will do that soon. Tires are brand new and i was having the same issues with the old tires and stock syspension too. Also new chains and sprockets.

Front tire doesnt look unusually warn i domt think.

I have a 600cc track bike that ive sent down the track and rebuilt a few times. Never bemt a fork or triples but it doesnt do anything like my fz does. Not to say the fz is terrible but i dont think its right.

Side note i did ride a diffrent fz1 last weekend and the triples pointed straight forward unlike mine. Only rode it for a mile so i wasnt able to rly compare if it was buzzy etc.

Its just a vibration that goes back and forth nothing Audible
Old 05-23-2018, 07:52 PM   #9
Wizbyu
Wizbyu

It could be very possible you have one or both fork tubes bent, we use to straighten them on a lot of dirt bikes years ago, most the time they will get bent just below the bottom triple tree,when we would straighten them you need to disassemble them so you can check the run out on a lathe, sometimes you could only get within a few thousands sometimes less, if the customer did not want spend money on new tubes, then we would mark the high spot on each tube that way you know they are both facing the same way. What you can try is mark each tube with a sharpie, then loosen one tube and rotate it 90 degrees then re-tighten it and test drive to see if it is still off, if so, rotate the same tube another 90 degrees test ride again, you may have to do it a 3hrd time, what you are trying to do is clock the one tube with the other.If nothing changes then try the other side, the same test you could only have one tube that is bent.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:45 PM   #10
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!

I had a bent tube on a 94 CBR900RR I owned years ago. Tried to do the method described above, but it only resulted in my front suspension binding up when compressed.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:40 AM   #11
Wizbyu
Wizbyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan998 View Post
I had a bent tube on a 94 CBR900RR I owned years ago. Tried to do the method described above, but it only resulted in my front suspension binding up when compressed.
We did this with great success on tubes that had very little run out , if your CBR was binding up turning the tube would make no difference, What this is, is a way to see if one or both of the tubes is bent my bad for not making that clear.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:11 PM   #12
WDD

My vote is that

1) Tire - even though not that many miles, might be cupping on front tire. That is caused by bad inflation, or just a bad tire. Look not for tread depth, but a cupping pattern.

2) Buzzing- not related to the mini tank slapper you described, or a possible bent fork. Put in an Ivan's jet kit (really smooth's the engine out), sync the carbs, and fill the handle bars with lead shot. Sync the rear wheel with the engine (see Pat's page). Check the chain for any sticking links. Yep, a clunky chain will add to vibrations and buzzing.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:56 PM   #13
rv3maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizbyu View Post
It could be very possible you have one or both fork tubes bent, we use to straighten them on a lot of dirt bikes years ago, most the time they will get bent just below the bottom triple tree,when we would straighten them you need to disassemble them so you can check the run out on a lathe, sometimes you could only get within a few thousands sometimes less, if the customer did not want spend money on new tubes, then we would mark the high spot on each tube that way you know they are both facing the same way. What you can try is mark each tube with a sharpie, then loosen one tube and rotate it 90 degrees then re-tighten it and test drive to see if it is still off, if so, rotate the same tube another 90 degrees test ride again, you may have to do it a 3hrd time, what you are trying to do is clock the one tube with the other.If nothing changes then try the other side, the same test you could only have one tube that is bent.
I have a bike that was laid down and had some tank slap. The forks looked fine but the seals were leaking from sitting for several years. I only noticed the very slight bend in the right fork after completely removing it from the triples. It was only slight, but as Wizbyu says it was right at the bottom of the lower triple. If you have not removed these from the triple trees and checked them off the bike . . . I would definitely recommend it.

I have yet to ride my bike, but hoping that I found the only thing that is bend . . .I have looked at the rest . . . we'll see.
rv3maker is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering