register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 08-12-2017, 07:49 PM   #1
WileECoyote
Meathead Extraordinaire

When you meet someone?

I have a question.
When you meet someone professionally what is the etiquette? I give a very firm confident hand crushing handshake. Maybe too much?
Obviously, when its a female I am alot tamer but still firm, as if I am confident but truly glad to meet them.
That said, school the Coyote?

Kinda at a loss here and feel like a fish out of water. Like maybe I should do different. I know of one instance where a corporate person was put off. How do I judge whats appropriate?
Co rider and mechanic, No current wins, cant seem to get around them anvils........sometimes tunnels arent really open......falls from cliffs usually slow me down..........WTF, where'd that piano come from?
Currently: Aprilia Tuono, 09 FZ1, 06 FZ1, 89 FZR1000, '02 XR650L THE TRACTOR
My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:03 PM   #2
WDD

Firm and confident. Look the person in the eye and say you're glad to meet them. Say their name. Do not go to the hand crushing, pain inflicting grip.

This is all about being respectful, not establishing alpha male dominance by crushing the person's hand, mounting and/or marking your territory with musk.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:04 PM   #3
Pat Glenn
Everything's Just Ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
When you meet someone professionally what is the etiquette? I give a very firm confident hand crushing handshake. Maybe too much?
I used to do this as well. A firm handshake is usually a sign of sincerity. One time though I gave a firm but not crushing handshake to the wrong guy. He took it as a challenge and being a much larger and stronger guy crushed my hand like a lemon into iced tea. I said nothing but was much more careful from then on with who and how firm I shook hands.

Pat
Pat Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:05 PM   #4
Rttoys
insurance poor

I have a very crushing hand grip. I have learned over the years how to ramp up to a "firm" shake and judge what you are doing. If you are soft, I can back off, if you are very firm, I can ramp up. If I don't like you, it's automatically very firm.

And if I just can't stand you, I hope you have strong hand bones.

'07 Yamaha FZ1- Micron GP slip-on, kitty gutted, Ivan's flies, Ivan's ECU programming, Exup eliminated, AIS blocked, air box mod, BMC filter, PCIII, synchronized throttle bodies, Corbin seat, Powerbronze screen, FZ6 Handlebars, Throttlemeister, Dunlop Q3

2009 Ducati Hypermotard
2014 Yamaha TW200
2013 Kawaski Ninja 300

FZ1- exhaust sound clip
2012 Honda Fury sound clip

CMRA #982
Rttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:19 PM   #5
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

I give a crushing grip. Then pull their arm towards me and hold it there. Like it's my bitch.
I let go when I damned good and ready.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #6
Cap'n Carl

Quote:
I have a question.
Obviously, when its a female I am alot tamer but still firm, as if I am confident but truly glad to meet them.
That said, school the Coyote?

Kinda at a loss here and feel like a fish out of water. Like maybe I should do different. I know of one instance where a corporate person was put off. How do I judge whats appropriate?
Confident, yes. No need to make it a demonstration of one's strength though. I use a brief grip of about 20% of max squeezage when shaking a man's hand. I do more tensing of the muscle than squeezing. The squeeze should be proportional to the size of the hand I'm shaking, or maybe I just try to match the grip of the other person.

Reminds me of this old Italian guy that I often meet while hiking. Angelo is very warm with all the regulars on the trail, and he always wants a handshake from me, so I oblige; we shake. Then he asks how I am, how's my wife, I ask how he's been, he tells me about his health, and he's holding my hand the whole time. Sometimes he holds it still, sometimes he shakes it a little when he's making a point, sometimes his left hand joins the right one. The first time, it bugged me, but now it's cool, cause so far, I've always gotten my hand back, when he's good and ready.
Cap'n Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:22 PM   #7
WileECoyote
Meathead Extraordinaire

Very good, thank you.

Makes sense, I might've put the corporate guy off by being the alpha. Probably took offense to that.
However, I am not afraid of ANY man.
Co rider and mechanic, No current wins, cant seem to get around them anvils........sometimes tunnels arent really open......falls from cliffs usually slow me down..........WTF, where'd that piano come from?
Old 08-12-2017, 08:30 PM   #8
Rttoys
insurance poor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Carl View Post
Reminds me of this old Italian guy that I often meet while hiking. Angelo is very warm with all the regulars on the trail, and he always wants a handshake from me, so I oblige; we shake. Then he asks how I am, how's my wife, I ask how he's been, he tells me about his health, and he's holding my hand the whole time. Sometimes he holds it still, sometimes he shakes it a little when he's making a point, sometimes his left hand joins the right one. The first time, it bugged me, but now it's cool, cause so far, I've always gotten my hand back, when he's good and ready.
I hate it when people don't know when to let go. Like you said, you get use to it with some people, but when you are ready to pull back and they are not, it seems awkward

'07 Yamaha FZ1- Micron GP slip-on, kitty gutted, Ivan's flies, Ivan's ECU programming, Exup eliminated, AIS blocked, air box mod, BMC filter, PCIII, synchronized throttle bodies, Corbin seat, Powerbronze screen, FZ6 Handlebars, Throttlemeister, Dunlop Q3

2009 Ducati Hypermotard
2014 Yamaha TW200
2013 Kawaski Ninja 300

FZ1- exhaust sound clip
2012 Honda Fury sound clip

CMRA #982
Rttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:33 PM   #9
WileECoyote
Meathead Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
I give a crushing grip. Then pull their arm towards me and hold it there. Like it's my bitch.
I dont need a handshake from you Dear Leader...................
Old 08-12-2017, 08:35 PM   #10
klj7734

I usually just walk right up to them and grab them by the pussy. You know, nice and firm.

lol sorry I just couldn't help myself
klj7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:38 PM   #11
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!

klj, flushing threads down the toilet since '08!
Old 08-13-2017, 02:43 AM   #12
Cap'n Carl

Quote:
Very good, thank you.

Makes sense, I might've put the corporate guy off by being the alpha. Probably took offense to that.
However, I am not afraid of ANY man.
Your statement above, and your handshake, are declarations of your fearlessness. But when your fear is completely gone, you won't even need the declarations.
Cap'n Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:55 AM   #13
Duken4evr
Map Maven

I also have very good grip strength; Mrs. Duke uses me as her mobile twist off/opener device.

As far as handshakes go, I adjust the grip according to the audience. Most guys have a reasonably firm handshake. It does make me wanna vomit when a man has a wimpy handshake. Women? I dunno what to do with them. Shaking hands with most ladies is very soft, so I go easy, and then once in awhile one runs into a lady with a firm grip, and quick adjustments need to be made so as not appear to be a wimpy dude. It is all very confusing with the women in every way

By the way, I read the other day that grip strength is a predictor of longevity. Looks like WileE is gonna be around for awhile

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:42 AM   #14
Lickety Split

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post

I'll remember to prepare myself for that when we eventually meet for a beer. The FJR is going to Saratoga next week.
Lickety Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:58 AM   #15
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

I find a good hug with a fake kiss on each cheek to be totally disarming..

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:04 AM   #16
phydeaux
Elongated-American

maybe the lumberjack shake?

2001 Honda RC51 (spoken for)
2016 Yamaha S-Max scooter (big bore, etc)
2008 Honda CRF150R (mini-moto) *
* selling
phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:33 AM   #17
WileECoyote
Meathead Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
I also have very good grip strength; Mrs. Duke uses me as her mobile twist off/opener device.

By the way, I read the other day that grip strength is a predictor of longevity. Looks like WileE is gonna be around for awhile
Well, I hope so, have alot of riding I wanna do.........
And lonely FZ's to be bought............
And silly parts to buy...........
Old 08-13-2017, 10:21 AM   #18
longeze

This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDD View Post
Firm and confident. Look the person in the eye and say you're glad to meet them. Say their name. Do not go to the hand crushing, pain inflicting grip.

This is all about being respectful, not establishing alpha male dominance by crushing the person's hand, mounting and/or marking your territory with musk.

WileE: "Makes sense, I might've put the corporate guy off by being the alpha. Probably took offense to that. However, I am not afraid of ANY man." If you can adopt a mindset of being genuinely interested in the person standing in front of you, rather than viewing them as an obstacle or necessary evil to be dealt with, so that you can obtain your objective, it may serve you well.

Take this for whatever it's worth to you: I worked in an office next to a guy who had just bought the company. I thought it was a good opportunity to "go to school" on him to get some sense of how he came to be in that position. What I learned was that he had unusually good social skills.

On every phone call and in every meeting, he would talk to each person as if they were his long lost best friend. The interesting thing was, that he never came across as affected or phony, because he actually WAS sincerely interested in each and every person that he communicated with. It was clear that he recognized people as individuals, not "just the billing lady at AT&T" or "the sales guy from Acme" who was making him late for his next meeting. He always seemed incredibly genuine. As a person who is rather introverted by nature, this is difficult for me, but I think the mindset, that each interaction affords you a unique and possibly valuable opportunity, to add something to your own life and worth as well as theirs, is a useful one that can be helpful to make such encounters more natural, positive and relaxed.
longeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #19
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydeaux View Post
maybe the lumberjack shake?

Which would you prefer?

Last edited by Desmo; 08-13-2017 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Resized.
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:06 PM   #20
klj7734

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
And this is why I don't beat around the "bush", I just go straight for it! lol
This only applies to women though.
Dudes get daps.
klj7734 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion