register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry

Old 08-11-2017, 07:33 AM   #1
WDD

I Phone 7 - Need to charge and use phone at same time

So, got a new I phone 7 at work. Apple's brilliant design, of course, eliminated the 3.5 mm headphone jack, leaving only 1 lightning port.

I've heard that the I Phone 8 eliminates that, as well as blue tooth and Wi Fi. And has no battery. And will cost over $1000. And since it is an Apple, they'll sell millions. But I digress.

What can I buy so I can connect it to power and use my 3.5 mm headphones when using the phone as a phone - actually talking to people?

I bought a splitter on Amazon, but of course it only works when listening to music - won't work when using it as a phone.

Did you know there are 2 versions of 3.5 mm jacks? You can tell them apart by the color of the rings that separate the silver parts of the jack. White circles is one standard (that apple uses), and black circles indicate another.

All I want to do is use my current wired headphones (with black circles) when using the phone as a phone AND charge the phone at the same time. You'd think that wouldn't be hard to figure out to do.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-11-2017, 09:44 AM   #2
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

You could use a device like this https://www.amazon.com/SONY-wireless.../dp/B00DHF71GG

There may be other/better/newer/cheaper but it's what I picked up when Garmin dropped physical jacks and wanted to continue to use my wired headset.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:28 AM   #3
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

Simple solution? Bluetooth headset. I have one of these and it was $15 and works really well. I see it's not avaiable currently. Bummer.

FWIW - Lots of rumors on the 8 having inductive charging.

And they're gonna get rid of the home button and touchid!!!
Old 08-11-2017, 01:36 PM   #4
WDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
Simple solution? Bluetooth headset. I have one of these and it was $15 and works really well. I see it's not avaiable currently. Bummer.

FWIW - Lots of rumors on the 8 having inductive charging.

And they're gonna get rid of the home button and touchid!!!
I also heard they are removing the screen as well.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:24 PM   #5
WDD

So...would it work to have a lightning splitter and then plug one of the lightning to 3.5 mm adaptor into one of the slots, and the charger in the other?

(Adaptor into a splitter...... what a mess.)

Last edited by WDD; 08-11-2017 at 07:11 PM.
WDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:53 PM   #6
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

I can't picture what you're trying to do there.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:04 PM   #7
WDD

Plug the splitter into the phone, then plug the 3.5 mm jack converter into the splitter. I'll have one lightning opening left in the splitter to charge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Splitter 2.jpg (1.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Splitter.jpg (4.7 KB, 78 views)
Old 08-12-2017, 09:14 PM   #8
Fizzman
No tickets today!

Or stay away from Apple, god forbid.

Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD 400E, '79 400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R
Fizzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:05 PM   #9
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

An answer as helpful as the "Get a Mac!" trope from apple heads!
Old 08-13-2017, 03:56 AM   #10
didier9

I have a device called Android mobile phone adapter. It supports wired phones, the little Square credit card reader and all sorts of other devices. What's great about it is that it makes the iPhone unnecessary so that you can keep it in the original box where it is unlikely to get scratched or God forbid get the screen broken. Available from many vendors like Samsung, LG, Motorola and others and cheaper than most Apple accessories. Highly recommended.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:41 AM   #11
WDD

I'm coming to realize that the cost of buying a splitter or other do dad would cost the same as buying a pair of wireless earbuds.

Just bugs the crap out of me that I have to. I was in a 3-hour important conf call meeting last week and just about dropped because the I phone battery almost died. I don't want to walk around with a set of wired earbuds AND a set of wireless.

Partly I wanted a solution so the big "Apple" didn't win. Want to do it my way. And I just bought a nice set of wired ear buds.

Whatever. I'll just buy a set of wireless.

And if this is the worse thing in my life, I guess I'm not doing too bad.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:03 AM   #12
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

"First world problems"..

I'm with you, though. I would not call myself an "apple fan" but I use Macs because they are better suited for my work and creative hobbies, and the iPhone because I like IOS and just about everything about them. I also despise using Windows or Android interfaces.

THAT SAID, I was looking forward to upgrading my primary MacBook, until I found out about the USB-C ports. Nope! The phone I can live with, as I've been using inductive charging on my 6S+ since I bought it two years ago, and the only time I use headphones is when I'm mowing the lawn. Earplugs will work just as well..

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:22 AM   #13
didier9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDD View Post
Partly I wanted a solution so the big "Apple" didn't win. Want to do it my way.
You gave up on that when you bought this phone remember...

Quote:
Whatever. I'll just buy a set of wireless.
That's the spirit!

Quote:
And if this is the worse thing in my life, I guess I'm not doing too bad.
Absolutely

While I personally prefer my Android phone, I do have an iPad mini which I am using right now (since FZ1OA is pretty much unusable on a phone...) Not a bad piece of hardware, the screen is gorgeous and battery life very good. The most severe complaint about it, common with all the Apple products is that the speaker sound sucks, being projected to the side rather than towards the user, which pretty much forces you to use a headset if you care about hearing what comes out of it, which makes the removal of the headphone jack even more of a stupid move. Two clear examples why form should not take precedence over function.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #14
jredford
Musical Metal

Everything I have is apple. I am no fanboy but I find them to be much easier to use as a package, iPhone, 2 iPads and 2 iMacs. With that said I ****ing hate their software - iTunes the most.

Some of their recent moves are baffling - like removing the headphone jack.

Another winner is producing a super powerful device in the iPad Pro 2 12.9, in a closed operating system - total waste of size and horsepower. At least it has a headphone jack.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
2006 sv 650 race bike
2007 CRF450X
2008 Honda Ruckus
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:26 PM   #15
Mr.Fixit

I believe the Belkin splitter does what you want, but it needs to be used with the converter since it provides 2 lightning ports. Also at nearly $40 you probably could get some Bluetooth headset but then you'll probably find yourself trying to charge those while talking too lol There are a couple cheaper options on amazon in the $25 range but they aren't mfi certified and you have to plug things in a certain order for them to work properly.
Mr.Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:27 PM   #16
Mr.Fixit

Fun fact though apple wasn't the first to remove the headphone jack. Some android devices had already done it.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:06 AM   #17
didier9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fixit View Post
Fun fact though apple wasn't the first to remove the headphone jack. Some android devices had already done it.
True, but if you care about headphone jack you do not have to give up on Android, you just have to find another vendor or even another phone model with the same vendor. With Apple, you are stuck, you cant get an iPhone from somebody else with a jack unless you get an older model.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:05 PM   #18
Mr.Fixit

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier9 View Post
True, but if you care about headphone jack you do not have to give up on Android, you just have to find another vendor or even another phone model with the same vendor. With Apple, you are stuck, you cant get an iPhone from somebody else with a jack unless you get an older model.
True, just reinforcing the idea that Apple is just copying android these days ;) lol
As someone that does phone repairs for a living though I have spent a lot of time inside these devices and I think it's worth mentioning that if you look at the bottom of an iphone(with 3.5mm) the headphone jack is the thickest part so by removing this they are just setting the pieces in place for being able to make the phones thinner. My own two cents not apple approved rhetoric though lol
Old 08-19-2017, 12:58 PM   #19
didier9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fixit View Post
True, just reinforcing the idea that Apple is just copying android these days ;) lol
As someone that does phone repairs for a living though I have spent a lot of time inside these devices and I think it's worth mentioning that if you look at the bottom of an iphone(with 3.5mm) the headphone jack is the thickest part so by removing this they are just setting the pieces in place for being able to make the phones thinner. My own two cents not apple approved rhetoric though lol
They do not mind making the phone thicker for the camera though, which is particularly idiotic since the camera is the most scratch sensitive part of the phone so I do not buy it. Steve Jobs must be rolling in his grave over that one.

I do not get the battle for the thinnest phone, particularly when the phone ends up being so fragile that you have to put it in a large, ugly case just so that it can survive.

My Moto X 2015 is a little thicker than current flagships but the back is curved and the camera is recessed. When you add the leather back, the phone is extremely comfortable to hold and very unlikely to be dropped, so I do not need a case. I was thinking of upgrading to a Pixel for the camera but I did not like holding the phone and felt I would be very likely to drop it because of the slick back, and what's the point of having a nice phone if you have to put it in an ugly case?

The new Moto Force Z2 has an unbreakable screen, so I would be interested but it has no headphone jack either.

So for me it's Moto X still
Old 08-19-2017, 01:34 PM   #20
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

it wasn't removed to make the 7 thinner. The 6 and 7 are identical in that aspect.

It was removed because space is a premium. In its place is a larger battery, a Taptic Engine
And IP67 level water resistance.

I thought I was going to really miss it as I wear wired headphones for hours a day.

Hasn't been an issue for me. I use the adapter and I'm good to go. Obviously ymmv

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry