register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Parts & Accessories > Gen 2 Parts & Accessories

Old 08-11-2017, 01:53 PM   #1
roundhouse

Heal tech quick shifter installed

I pulled the radiator just to make it easy to get to the coils. (while I was at it I changed the coolant and added some hyper lube super coolant)

only problems I had were-
1. when I was taking off the bolts that hold the radiator mount to the frame. one of the heads just broke off with minimal torque after the other came out easily.

2. I lifted the tank to run the cables and my wife dropped the tank when a bee flew in our garage and of course it pinches one of the wires badly and copper was showing! So I cut it the rest of the way through and soldered them back together and shrink wrapped it. (this is just my luck)

installed the plugs onto the coils, put the little sensor on the shift arm with the supplied bolt and conical washers.

If I can do this, anyone can! Heck you could train a chimp of average intelligence to probably do it in half the time it took me. about 2.5 hours for me. could have been faster but I would rather go slow and not forget to put bolts back. (Who knows without extracting a broken bolt and soldering a wire)

downloaded the app for android and synced the phone and the unit. walked through the parameters and took it for a ride. (left it mostly at default) set rpm from 3K to 12K. At first I still let off the throttle to shift but soon found myself going through full throttle upshifts and it even works on downshifts although I did not try it full throttle.

What a riot! sounds awesome when it shifts and is so smooth. love it. I recommend it highly as a fun gadget for the street. I will probably never take my bike to the track. But I could see how it would shave 1/10s or more off on a lap it is way faster that I can shift and I always thought I shifted pretty quickly.

Anyway, easy install, all the software worked without a glitch. did not have to trouble shoot as normally happens to me. worked perfectly right away. The smile factor is 4.7 stars out of 5. When I first did a full throttle 11.5K shift with it, it would have taken a large team of Swiss plastic surgeons hours to remove the smile from my face if I died at that moment. just thinking about it makes me smile.
roundhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:01 PM   #2
ballmead
I like em Naked

Thanks for the report, it sounds like a nice unit.
I've been thinking about getting one of these myself.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:57 PM   #3
Tigerman
Intelligence Is Optional

Been running mine for over a year and it is one of the best upgrades I've don't to the bike. I found it easy to make smooth downshifts by holding the throttle open and steady while quickly clutching while downshifting. Doesn't require any blip and is very smooth. Of course upshifts are amazing.
2009 Black/Granite with Healtech Quickshifter Easy, Traxxion AK-20 Cartridges and .95 springs, Nitron R3 Shock, Convertibars, RSC Adjustable Clutch Lever, MotionPro +2.5" clutch & throttle cables, Vortex Rearsets with Vortex brake light switch, Venhill brake lines, Mivv GP Carbon Slip On, Ivan's ECU Flash, PC V, Air Box Mod, Gutted Cat, 12-O'clock Labs Speedo DRD and EXUP Simulator, Datatool gear Indicator, Motech Mirror Extenders, California Scientific windscreen when cruising.
Tigerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:51 PM   #4
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

Sounds like a great upgrade, my recent bike came with one and I don't think I can go back.
The procedure of working a clutch lever or concentrating on throttle blips during clutchless riding does not seem a disruptive task, amazingly once that is gone I found cornering and exiting fast corners much smoother. Set up downshifting for any turn is better as you never have to move the left hand, crazy how much difference it makes.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:26 PM   #5
roundhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboot View Post
Sounds like a great upgrade, my recent bike came with one and I don't think I can go back.
The procedure of working a clutch lever or concentrating on throttle blips during clutchless riding does not seem a disruptive task, amazingly once that is gone I found cornering and exiting fast corners much smoother. Set up downshifting for any turn is better as you never have to move the left hand, crazy how much difference it makes.
eloquently put. I agree with you 100%.
roundhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Parts & Accessories > Gen 2 Parts & Accessories