register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance

Old 02-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #1
t84a
Real Bikers Pedal

Fuel Tank

2008:

I'm thinking of replacing my fuel tank. What is involved in swapping out the stuff that doesn't come with the tank. What would you recommend replacing versus swapping during the job?

Yosh R77 Titanium slip on, Cat gut, Graves AIS block off plates, EXUP Eliminator, LARs airbox mod, K&N filter, Ivan's ECU re-flash, PCV, Ivan's PCV map, Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Forks, Satan666 R1 shock adapter w/R1 shock, Satan666 pegs, dirt road seats, Z1000 mirrors.

JOIN THE AMA

Helmet Fact
My local powder coater
t84a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:42 AM   #2
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

The plastic side panels will not come with a new tank. They will have to be heated then removed, or replaced. They’re only held on with double sided tape.

Replace the fuel pump mounting O ring, it’s like $15. Also replace the fuel pump sock, there’s a thread here somewhere with part #s.

Also the thin foam stripping along the front of the tank will not come with a new one. OEM pieces can be purchased, copperdawg recommends the foam stripping that ace hardware sells. Much cheaper.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
t84a
Real Bikers Pedal

Has any fixed a dent? My buddy came over tonight and we were trying to figure out if we could get a rod or something in through the filler neck to help push the dent out. What about through the fuel pump opening? Does anyone have a picture of the underside of the tank? Thanks

Yosh R77 Titanium slip on, Cat gut, Graves AIS block off plates, EXUP Eliminator, LARs airbox mod, K&N filter, Ivan's ECU re-flash, PCV, Ivan's PCV map, Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Forks, Satan666 R1 shock adapter w/R1 shock, Satan666 pegs, dirt road seats, Z1000 mirrors.

JOIN THE AMA

Helmet Fact
My local powder coater
Old 02-13-2018, 06:06 PM   #4
9Lives

Depending on the type of dent (not creased) this has worked for me a few times on various tanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNtj-B3I6SA
9Lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:09 PM   #5
okrider

I just made a video where I lifted the tank. You can see the underside of the tank at 13:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1O-MT_IdKI

The video is in Turkish in case you are curious.
YouTube Channel - OK Rider
'78 Honda CB400T Hawk: Kickstart only, front and rear drum brakes, leaky head gasket
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:07 PM   #6
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

From my "For Sale" ad, lol.... Scroll down and you'll see the bottom side of the tank.

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...ight=fuel+tank
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:30 AM   #7
t84a
Real Bikers Pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
From my "For Sale" ad, lol.... Scroll down and you'll see the bottom side of the tank.

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...ight=fuel+tank
Thanks for the great pic. Any chance you can try to take a pic of the inside with a flash or light? I need to figure out how to resize a picture so I can post it here. That way, you'll know where to look inside. Thanks again. I like that the hole looks huge. I added your pic to have both in one place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4574-405x720.jpeg (65.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Tank Bottom View.JPG (165.4 KB, 62 views)

JOIN THE AMA

Helmet Fact
My local powder coater

Last edited by t84a; 02-14-2018 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:12 AM   #8
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by t84a View Post
Thanks for the great pic. Any chance you can try to take a pic of the inside with a flash or light? I need to figure out how to resize a picture so I can post it here. That way, you'll know where to look inside. Thanks again. I like that the hole looks huge.
I'll give it a try, currently the tank is packaged up and ready to ship, so you might have to give me a day or two to get to it.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:19 AM   #9
t84a
Real Bikers Pedal

Thanks. Not a big deal if you don't want to unpackage it. How hard was it to replace your tank? What did you use for the new foam pieces left on the old one?

JOIN THE AMA

Helmet Fact
My local powder coater
Old 02-14-2018, 07:27 AM   #10
OldBiker

My knee put a good size dent in the tank. I checked on "paintless" repair but they said it was too close to the side of the tank.

So I got one of those Dent Repair kits as seen on TV for $9.95. It's basically a hot glue gun, some pucks of various sizes and a bridge to pull the dent. Guess what? It really works though it took about 40 pulls to remove the dent and the paint stayed intact.

Cheapest bodywork I ever had or did.
OldBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:11 AM   #11
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Quote:
Thanks. Not a big deal if you don't want to unpackage it. How hard was it to replace your tank? What did you use for the new foam pieces left on the old one?
Super simple job. Get it as empty as possible and have a helper lift it while you disconnect the fuel line and electrical connectors. Take photos BEFORE undoing anything, lol. I used a heat gun to warm up the old side panels and they peeled right off. Same for the heat/noise shielding on the bottom side of the tank. The only thing that I could find to re-glue the shielding back into place was Weldwood Original Contact Cement. That was sort of a messy job and if you are not trying to pinch pennies, buy new OEM shielding that is pre-glued. I used 3M Super-Strength Moulding Tape for the two side panels. Used automotive foam weatherstripping for the three sections on the top front. I had to buy 2 new rubber well-nuts that go into the front of the tank, I destroyed the old ones getting them out, lol. Also replaced the fuel pump o-ring, but the original looked to be in really good shape. Be careful with the fuel line connector.

Last edited by Neanderthal; 02-15-2018 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Added product names
Old 02-14-2018, 12:16 PM   #12
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
Super simple job. Get it as empty as possible and have a helper lift it while you disconnect the fuel line and electrical connectors. Take photos BEFORE undoing anything, lol. I used a heat gun to warm up the old side panels and they peeled right off. Same for the heat/noise shielding on the bottom side of the tank. The only thing that I could find to re-glue the shielding back into place was (I'll insert goop info here tonight). That was sort of a messy job and if you are not trying to pinch pennies, buy new OEM shielding that is pre-glued. I used 3M autobody tape (I'll insert tape info here tonight) for the two side panels. Used automotive foam weatherstripping for the three sections on the top front. I had to buy 2 new rubber well-nuts that go into the front of the tank, I destroyed the old ones getting them out, lol. Also replaced the fuel pump o-ring, but the original looked to be in really good shape. Be careful with the fuel line connector.
I didn't replace the o-ring and it worked fine.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:37 PM   #13
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Tank inside photos came out too dark or blurry to be of any good ..... sorry.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:49 PM   #14
t84a
Real Bikers Pedal

No problem. I truly appreciate your efforts. I'm going to replace the rotor first.

JOIN THE AMA

Helmet Fact
My local powder coater
Old 02-15-2018, 07:16 PM   #15
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Quote:
No problem. I truly appreciate your efforts. I'm going to replace the rotor first.
lol... just did that a couple weeks ago.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance