click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 07-20-2007, 03:52 PM   #61
niNAG
BEWARE OF THE NAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300lbGorilla
I've been in the middle of Ayn Rand's Normative Ethics: The Virtuous Egoist by Tara Smith for several months now.

I'll probably re-read "The Dark is Rising" series since a movie's coming out.

After that it'll most likely be the "Harry Potter" series.

Of course, this is all contingent upon me finding the time.
Who is the author of "The Dark is Rising" series? I know I've heard of that before.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:53 PM   #62
300lbGorilla
An FZ1OA Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1
Don't act like you don't know, Rear Admiral Skidmark.
Even though we're in different branches, you will address me as "Sir." Understood, Captain?
300lbGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:55 PM   #63
niNAG
BEWARE OF THE NAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman
Why can she not be reading above her level? Both my daughter reads well above their grade level, and have been for YEARS
I was basing it on content and not readability. It has stuff in it that I wouldn’t want my daughter reading even if she could.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:56 PM   #64
300lbGorilla
An FZ1OA Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by niNAG
Who is the author of "The Dark is Rising" series? I know I've heard of that before.
Susan Cooper. I had to read The Dark Is Rising back in 7th or 8th grade, IIRC. Read all the others after that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Is_Rising
Old 07-20-2007, 03:56 PM   #65
niNAG
BEWARE OF THE NAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfz1
Turn the Other Chick ed by Esther Friesner(Chicks in Chainmail series.
Shadow's Daughter by Shirley Meier(novels of the Fifth Millenium)
Angry Lead Skies by Glen Cook (Garrett PI fantasys)
Elminster's Daughter by Ed Greenwood (Forgotten Realms)
Monstrous Regiments by Terry Pratchett (light)
The War Gods Own By David Weber (first of series)
For all brides and wedding tales.. A Civil Campaign by Lois McMaster Bujold (something for everyone, laugh and cry) Komarr worth reading first
Grantville Gazette lll
Ancient tombs : Robert A Heinlein : The Menace from Earth(juv)
Podkayne of Mars(juv)
The Star Beast(juv) Beethoven ad astra
Glory Road
Enjoy....
A MUST read for you is "Grammar For Dummies"!!! Trust Me!
Old 07-20-2007, 03:57 PM   #66
300lbGorilla
An FZ1OA Elite

Quote:
I was basing it on content and not readability. It has stuff in it that I wouldn’t want my daughter reading even if she could.
Is she privy to some of the stuff that you write on here?
Old 07-20-2007, 04:01 PM   #67
niNAG
BEWARE OF THE NAG

Quote:
Is she privy to some of the stuff that you write on here?
Old 07-20-2007, 04:17 PM   #68
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Quote:
Even though we're in different branches, you will address me as "Sir." Understood, Captain?
I'm off duty. You're lucky I don't call you "Ol' Brown Eye" like everyone else when your back is turned.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:17 PM   #69
Wlfman
Just another Slow Poke

Quote:
Ah, well in that case.

"I ride not to add days to my life, but to add LIFE to my days."

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:47 PM   #70
bradd
Working away

Quote:
I think you would enjoy The Four Agreements by ??? Ruiz(not sure if that is right). It is about the Toltec teachings.

I just ordered it, sounds like a good book. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:44 AM   #71
lowtone9
WWQD?

I`m between books right now. May reread the Vonneguts, or look for a PKD I might have missed, and I think there`s one more Cormac McCarthy.
lowtone9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:41 AM   #72
GettingFaster
So Misunderstood

Lately I've been reading something called FZ1OA. It's a collaborative work by a large number of authors, not unlike the Bible. There's no doubt that it's filled with some fantastic information, however it frequently reads as if there is no clear direction. I have no idea how it's going to end and it seems every time I cheat and look at the last page, it says something different.

As for the writing style, it can best be described as quirky. Sometimes it is written so well and is so easily read that you would think it was scribed by the world's greatest scholars. Other times, you would swear that it was authored by nothing but English class dropouts. The rules of grammar, capitalization, sentence structure, and spelling are broken so frequently that I worry for our future generations.

Certain passages are true gems and an absolute wealth of information. Others are full of so much misinformation, lies told as truth, and hate filled communication that it sometimes wears you out just to read it. A particular chapter called War Room is a pefect example of this and many readers choose to skip this chapter all together.

Luckily, a chapter full of mostly love, hugs, and mutual respect exists toward the middle of the book. This chapter is referred to by its fans as ATAN. Most believe this to stand for A Thread About Nothing and while some may jeer at its sugar sweet nature, they would probably agree that its existence is necessary to balance out other less savory chapters. Again, though, there are many who avoid this chapter as they are afraid of its close resemblance to cults.

Regardless of their like or dislike of certain chapters, most readers concentrate on a few key areas of the book where general FZ1 and other motorcycle information is delved into and a particular chapter that is so general in nature that you're likely to hear just about anything. Though less read, there are a number of other chapters dedicated to true gear heads, salesmen, bargain hunters, and entertainment buffs.

All in all, I would highly recommend the book, but be careful as it can suck you in and not let go. That is, if the mods and admins don't spit you out!
Old 07-21-2007, 08:46 AM   #73
Rabeet
Boys of Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowtone9
I`m between books right now. May reread the Vonneguts, or look for a PKD I might have missed, and I think there`s one more Cormac McCarthy.
Yay PKD. More good taste on your part.

If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule? - Anton Chigurh

If it ain't it'll do til the mess gets here. - Ed Tom Bell

He wants to know the names of all those he's better than - Little Hitlers Elvis Costello
Rabeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:47 AM   #74
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

PKD good stuff. Other sf acronym favs ACC, OSC, UKL.

Niven and Pohl. And the big guys. WTF, I'll read almost anything once
Old 07-21-2007, 10:31 AM   #75
niNAG
BEWARE OF THE NAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradd
I just ordered it, sounds like a good book. Thanks.
I want to know what you think when you finish it; good or bad.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:34 AM   #76
niNAG
BEWARE OF THE NAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettingFaster
Lately I've been reading something called FZ1OA. It's a collaborative work by a large number of authors, not unlike the Bible. There's no doubt that it's filled with some fantastic information, however it frequently reads as if there is no clear direction. I have no idea how it's going to end and it seems every time I cheat and look at the last page, it says something different.

As for the writing style, it can best be described as quirky. Sometimes it is written so well and is so easily read that you would think it was scribed by the world's greatest scholars. Other times, you would swear that it was authored by nothing but English class dropouts. The rules of grammar, capitalization, sentence structure, and spelling are broken so frequently that I worry for our future generations.

Certain passages are true gems and an absolute wealth of information. Others are full of so much misinformation, lies told as truth, and hate filled communication that it sometimes wears you out just to read it. A particular chapter called War Room is a pefect example of this and many readers choose to skip this chapter all together.

Luckily, a chapter full of mostly love, hugs, and mutual respect exists toward the middle of the book. This chapter is referred to by its fans as ATAN. Most believe this to stand for A Thread About Nothing and while some may jeer at its sugar sweet nature, they would probably agree that its existence is necessary to balance out other less savory chapters. Again, though, there are many who avoid this chapter as they are afraid of its close resemblance to cults.

Regardless of their like or dislike of certain chapters, most readers concentrate on a few key areas of the book where general FZ1 and other motorcycle information is delved into and a particular chapter that is so general in nature that you're likely to hear just about anything. Though less read, there are a number of other chapters dedicated to true gear heads, salesmen, bargain hunters, and entertainment buffs.

All in all, I would highly recommend the book, but be careful as it can suck you in and not let go. That is, if the mods and admins don't spit you out!
One of my all time favorites!
Old 07-21-2007, 10:49 AM   #77
Rabeet
Boys of Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1
PKD good stuff. Other sf acronym favs ACC, OSC, UKL.

Niven and Pohl. And the big guys. WTF, I'll read almost anything once
All good stuff except Card. Not my type.

I had a very long run of loving the older sci fi stuff, from what I consider the "golden age" of sci fi. When all the big ideas were fresh.

I thought I liked cyberpunk for a while, but that got old when I got sucked into the biz.

I remember reading UKL's The Lathe of Heaven and Crichton's Andromeda Strain very young, as in early highschool and being captivated.

Didn't like the tall doc's later work except maybe Jurassic Park. Got to meet him once when he was talking to a company I worked for about a video game.

Biggest influence was probably 2001 then the Kubrick movie. Always loved Kubrick and was very sad he never made AI himself. For me and my peers 2001 was a bigger deal than even Star Wars turned out to be.

If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule? - Anton Chigurh

He wants to know the names of all those he's better than - Little Hitlers Elvis Costello
Old 07-21-2007, 11:51 AM   #78
lowtone9
WWQD?

Neal Stephenson was one of the early cyberpunkers, but back in `99 he wrote "Cryptonomicon", which really transcends genre. Great read.

Google some reviews or something, don`t listen to me, ok?
lowtone9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 12:06 PM   #79
Rabeet
Boys of Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowtone9
Neal Stephenson was one of the early cyberpunkers, but back in `99 he wrote "Cryptonomicon", which really transcends genre. Great read.

Google some reviews or something, don`t listen to me, ok?
I did read Snow Crash. I'll give that one a peek.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:33 PM   #80
ion
n( . )( . )b

Quote:
For me and my peers 2001 was a bigger deal than even Star Wars turned out to be.
That's completely understandable, and also why I own 2001 and none of Star Wars, although Empire Strike Back still remains a favorite.

Okay... back to books!

Holy SHIT, Cat's Cradle had a tremendous climax and ending! Plot summaries coming up in a day or two...

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion