click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 09-30-2004, 10:11 AM   #1
dipps
administrator

Talking interesting news articles you come across (no politics)

i would prefer to keep this "politics free" please (this ain't the war room).

i just like keeping up to date on technological advancements and other things going on in the world, and thought maybe there are others like me who peruse the web, digging for such information, but who don't really feel like starting a WHOLE NEW THREAD to share it here on the forum.

for instance, one article i ran across today involved HUD's for motorcycle helmets..... i believe we've heard of this before but it just surfaced again in the following article.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/09/16/p...ker/index.html

and then there was the software program article that supposedly will be able to detect the amount of pain you are in, and suggest the proper dosage of pain medication, thereby saving mucho dollars in healthcare costs.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/09/16/a...dge/index.html

even the current "possible eruption advisory" for mount st. helen seemed interesting.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science...ens/index.html

and for anybody following the story of spaceshipone..... this article was definitely worth peeking at.....

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/0...cnn/index.html

from the story on spaceshipone....
Melvill told reporters he had "a hell of a view from 62 miles."
"The colors were pretty staggering from up there," he said. "It's an awesome thing to see. You can see the curvature of the Earth."

that's gotta be a pretty cool experience.
Into the hands of every individual is given a marvelous power for good or evil -- the silent, unconscious, unseen influence of his life. This is simply the constant radiation of what man really is, not what he pretends to be.
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus
dipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 10:21 AM   #2
fizzyrider
Too stupid to know better

Dude, how do you stay employed (or married for that matter) when you're always here?

fizzyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 10:25 AM   #3
dipps
administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by fizzyrider
Dude, how do you stay employed (or married for that matter) when you're always here?

that's NOT an interesting news article. you are hereby banned from the thread!

its lunchtime. i'm not going out for lunch today, so i sit here at my desk and surf/research things. plus, as i've mentioned before, i have two computers in front of me. so while i work on one, i'm logged onto the forum with the other.
Into the hands of every individual is given a marvelous power for good or evil -- the silent, unconscious, unseen influence of his life. This is simply the constant radiation of what man really is, not what he pretends to be.
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus
Old 09-30-2004, 10:38 AM   #4
fizzyrider
Too stupid to know better

Well, that somewhat addresses the employment issue, anyway....
fizzyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 11:02 AM   #5
Jason324

Interesting articles Dipps, Thanks

That space 1 was really cool. I had no idea that was even going on Watch out NASA;)

Jay
Jason324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 11:03 AM   #6
dipps
administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by biggworm1
Interesting articles Dipps, Thanks

That space 1 was really cool. I had no idea that was even going on Watch out NASA;)
"The revolutionary spacecraft is the first privately financed vehicle to send humans into space."

jetson's..... here we come.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:07 AM   #7
dipps
administrator

this particular article regarding a revolutionary new way to harness the power of the sun to extract clean and almost unlimited energy supplies from water also caught my eye.... very interesting.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0825094820.htm

Old 09-30-2004, 11:26 AM   #8
Jason324

Now thats something. Seven Years is not far away at all considering the impact it may have on power

Jay
Jason324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 12:13 PM   #9
Desmo
Hello ladies...

The revolutionary spacecraft is the first privately financed vehicle to send humans into space.

Oh man, do I have several candidates I'd like to send into space!!

Wait. Does the ship actually return to earth? Dammit.

Old 10-02-2004, 07:04 AM   #10
dipps
administrator

interesting news about the supposedly "imminent" appearance of a supernova in the near future.....

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1001085513.htm
Old 10-02-2004, 07:06 AM   #11
dipps
administrator

and the second launch for spaceshipone is set for oct 4th (so if you have any candidates, better act quick des ).

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1001085003.htm
Old 10-03-2004, 12:54 AM   #12
TheVibeRAIDER
Undercover Inspector

Berkeley, CA wants to decriminalize prostitution.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:59 AM   #13
dipps
administrator

another recent near-pass asteroid story.....

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0929105022.htm
Old 10-03-2004, 07:04 AM   #14
dipps
administrator

interesting story out of canada..... a network of 4000 some university computers being used to crank out 20 years of computing work in only 48 hours.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0923093750.htm
Old 10-03-2004, 07:17 AM   #15
dipps
administrator

oh, goody.

i'm starting my new years resolution early, to try and keep myself in better shape throughout winter. my new years resolution is simple.... cut WAY down on my soda intake (mountain dew). i'm doing so for a number of reasons, including healthier teeth (only 1 cavity in 30 years, but don't want anymore ), less risk for kidney stones, and less sugar intake (better waistline control ). i'm replacing soda with flavored water. my favorite flavored water at the moment is "propel" (gatorade product) vitamin enhanced kiwi strawberry flavored water. great stuff. but according to this article, it could be a tough road ahead as i ween myself from my daily caffeine intake. hopefully it gets much better once the weening process is done and over with.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0930122608.htm

"The researchers identified five clusters of common withdrawal symptoms: headache; fatigue or drowsiness; dysphoric mood including depression and irritability; difficulty concentrating; and flu-like symptoms of nausea, vomiting and muscle pain or stiffness. In experimental studies, 50 percent of people experienced headache and 13 percent had clinically significant distress or functional impairment -- for example, severe headache and other symptoms incompatible with working. Typically, onset of symptoms occurred 12 to 24 hours after stopping caffeine, with peak intensity between one and two days, and for a duration of two to nine days. In general, the incidence or severity of symptoms increased with increases in daily dose, but abstinence from doses as low as 100 milligrams per day, or about one small cup of coffee, also produced symptoms. "
Old 10-03-2004, 07:22 AM   #16
dipps
administrator

wow. supposedly they are developing a technology that will be able to provide power for sending probes out to the "furthest reaches of the galaxy"......

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0917091220.htm
Old 10-04-2004, 11:31 AM   #17
madcapper2
Crash Dummy

I thought this might interest Desmo...
Tivo and Netflix
madcapper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 01:01 PM   #18
Desmo
Hello ladies...

Thanks for the post madcap. I'd heard a brief blurb about this on the radio.

I wonder exactly how they plan to do this. If they were to allow users to download full bandwidth DVDs, that would take about 7 hours per disc via a 1.5 Meg line. Perhaps the Tivo could buffer the movie so you could start watching within a few minutes...or maybe the format they'd upload to the user is a more compressed version.

Oh well, my old Tivo doesn't even have a broadband connection, so it'll mean a whole new box and a new $300 subscription fee. Ack.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:47 AM   #19
dipps
administrator

wow. this is pretty cool. live web cams at the monterey bay aquarium in vegas.

http://www.mbayaq.org/efc/cam_menu.asp
Old 10-08-2004, 10:51 AM   #20
dipps
administrator

more cool webcams to check out.....

http://www2.nature.nps.gov/air/WebCams/index.htm

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/WebCams/

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion