click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 07-18-2019, 04:52 PM   #1
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

Kamodo advice

A million years ago, or maybe 7 or 8, Desmo and his cohorts made me want a Kamodo grill in the worst way, sharing pictures and stories of the delicious food they were cooking. Times have changed and I'll have a place to store one out of the weather now. With a lot of meat cooked to perfection since then, does anyone have a recommendation on what in specific would be worth my cash? I think I remember the only thing I could have gotten in Pennsylvania back then was a Big Green Egg, and I don't think those got a lot of love cost/return wise. I did look at a Kamodo Joe's at some box store, but not hard enough to have an opinion.
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:52 PM   #2
Stella Blue
Yucksamush

Whew! I thought this was going to be about giant lizards. Sorry but I have no advice to offer.
Stella Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:54 PM   #3
Desmo
Hello ladies...

I wish I could help but my original Kamado is now 20 years old and hasn’t been available for ages. They went out of biz a few years after I got mine. Totally corrupt company as it turned out

I know a few who have the BGE and they like em. Best bud has a Primo grill. It’s nice but he has had several issues with it especially in the first year.

If I were to do it now I’m not sure what I would get.

Just know that they weigh a fvcking ton. Are not easy to move. But gawdamned you can crank em up to 900 degrees or slow cook at 225.

Add a smart controller and put a brisket on and never Open the lid for 16 hours.
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:50 AM   #4
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

Fair enough, seems like the only thing I like they keep making is Samba Classic sneakers.

I'm with you on the controller. Almost built a flower pot grill with an Arduino controller for a fan, but I figured why go through all that work when I know what I want is something better. I've also considered just making something stationary Kamodo-like out of concrete, but with my lack of experience the chances of building what I really want is probably poor on the first try, and then I've got something big and hard to break up to deal with.
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:42 AM   #5
Liteitup

I've owned the poor man's metal version since Dec 2012. I've had to replace the upper grate and the lower section of the grill in that time. The lower section rusted out because I left it out in the weather uncovered for several months while we remodeled the house and I didn't have room in the garage for it. I regularly take it it over 600 degrees and I'm on the original gasket. It will hold a steady 250 degrees for hours as well. Less than $100 in replacement part expense in 7 years.
Certainly not as nice as a BGE or a Primo, but it cost $300 instead of $1200. I still want a ceramic, but don't have a dedicated place for one and like Desmo said, they're heavy and don't move well.

https://www.amazon.com/Char-Griller-...b_title_garden

Amazon says this is a newer version than mine, not sure what changed.
Liteitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:15 AM   #6
Wonger

Buy the BGE. Service is excellent and the quality is superb. Food is better than you'll get from anywhere but the very best smokehouses.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:20 AM   #7
Keytickler
Causative Factor

Consumer Reports recently tested many types of BBQs, including kamado types. There are a number of manufacturers of kamado grills now besides BGE. Check out their review for some objective information.

I have had a Komodo Kamado for 9+ years now. I live in the Chicago area, and we have 4 seasons here with weather at extremes at different times of year. The grill is excellent for all of the reasons Desmo states.

Given its ceramic tile skin, I never had a cover for it, and a year ago a section of the tile fell off along with some of the inner refractory layer. Some grout had cracked and moisture got underneath the tiles, expanding and contracting with weather changes.
Komodo Kamado sent me the necessary goops to make the repair to the refractory layer and also new grout. I did the repair to the refractory layer, and need to regrout some areas. I also got a cover for it to protect it from direct exposure to snow and rain.

I heartily endorse the kamado type grill for any kind of outdoor cooking you want to do: low and slow, smoking, baking, indirect grilling, and high temp direct cooking. I'm glad I bought the Komodo Kamado. If I was shopping now I might also consider other options that are available locally, as now there are many.

Keytickler
Old 07-19-2019, 08:51 AM   #8
Desmo
Hello ladies...

Oh yah. Fizzyrider bought a ceramic cooker for a few hundred bucks at Costco. I seem to recall he likes it a lot. May check with him.

Man he BGE have gotten expensive recently. Wow.
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:17 AM   #9
Buccleuch
Let's... Ugh.

I have one of the old original Kamados, and yeah, Des is right: great cooker, horrible company. As I understand the history, when the Kamado company fell apart, the old place in Asia that was making the ovens got grabbed by the Komodo Kamado guys, and they kept on going, after incorporating significant improvements.

When it comes down to it, the ovens are largely the same - a refractive ceramic oven. The Komodo guys probably make the best one on the market, but damn, they’re proud of ‘em. Things to look for: thick walls to hold heat, one and a half to two inches, thicker is better, but that adds weight; ease of setting airflow with the firebox and top dampers; ease of cleaning out the ash bin: and most of all, accessories - grill options, two-tier cooking, buffer stone for indirect cooking, pizza/bread stone, turkey/ham hook, active temp control that Des mentioned, all that stuff. With a comprehensive set of cooking options, you can do damned near anything with a kamado.

When I move from this place in a couple of years, my old kamado stays. I’ll be looking over my options for a new kamado once I get to the new place.

W.A.
Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:55 AM   #10
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liteitup View Post
I've owned the poor man's metal version since Dec 2012. I've had to replace the upper grate and the lower section of the grill in that time. The lower section rusted out because I left it out in the weather uncovered for several months while we remodeled the house and I didn't have room in the garage for it. I regularly take it it over 600 degrees and I'm on the original gasket. It will hold a steady 250 degrees for hours as well. Less than $100 in replacement part expense in 7 years.
Certainly not as nice as a BGE or a Primo, but it cost $300 instead of $1200. I still want a ceramic, but don't have a dedicated place for one and like Desmo said, they're heavy and don't move well.

https://www.amazon.com/Char-Griller-...b_title_garden

Amazon says this is a newer version than mine, not sure what changed.
For the price, it can't be beat. Also great if one has limited room and needs to move it around between cooking sessions.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion