click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 06-21-2019, 08:04 AM   #21
organ donor

It'd be kind of cool if as part of the swearing in ceremony everyone was required to bring a signature dish from their country and all the graduates sat down and had a big international potluck dinner together.

I'm hungry.
organ donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:23 AM   #22
quazz
Reality can be a tricky thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by organ donor View Post
It'd be kind of cool if as part of the swearing in ceremony everyone was required to bring a signature dish from their country and all the graduates sat down and had a big international potluck dinner together.

I'm hungry.
At a previous company we had an annual staff luncheon. It was a manufacturing facility and most new immigrants need to take whatever job they can get so the factory floor is always multi-ethnic. At this luncheon everyone was encouraged to bring a meal from their home country and there were fifty something dishes from all over the world. The food was amazing and the people wore their traditional clothes. It was a very cool experience. I have worked in ethnic foods a lot and been to many such events and one thing that is a consistent theme is how much immigrants love and are grateful to their new new country and how quickly they prosper. They take a crappy job to get started and the next thing you know they own a business or a few properties. It is a consistent theme.
Here is another thing I learned, the first generation who lands are still culturally the same as how they grew up, the next generation has grown up with the food and language but are very Canadian and their kids are hockey playing, Tim Hortons coffee drinking Canadians.

93 Ford F150, leather shift knob (missing), rubber mats, AM/FM radio.
quazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:24 AM   #23
Todd S
I got into RR's pants!

Props to him, Pete! Celeste was just saying the other day she'll probably do citizenship in the next year or two. Her green card will have to be renewed by then, so she's figuring she might as well make it permanent.

My understanding is that the US no longer makes you give up your Canadian passport. I think they used to.

We need to get cracking on the paperwork for my daughter to line up her Canadian citizenship, too...

-T
Old 06-21-2019, 08:43 AM   #24
quazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd S View Post
Props to him, Pete! Celeste was just saying the other day she'll probably do citizenship in the next year or two. Her green card will have to be renewed by then, so she's figuring she might as well make it permanent.

My understanding is that the US no longer makes you give up your Canadian passport. I think they used to.

We need to get cracking on the paperwork for my daughter to line up her Canadian citizenship, too...

-T
No you don't have to give up your passport. I know this is true for Canadians but I don't know about other places.
My son is the only person I know that wanted to become a US citizen by the way. We live in a great country.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:53 AM   #25
quazz

And here are a few pics of the happy couple:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Americans.jpg (146.6 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Americans 1.jpg (259.3 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Americans 2.jpg (84.0 KB, 111 views)

Old 06-21-2019, 12:14 PM   #26
isleoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by quazz View Post
No you don't have to give up your passport. I know this is true for Canadians but I don't know about other places.
My son is the only person I know that wanted to become a US citizen by the way. We live in a great country.
Canada is a great country.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:19 PM   #27
Tom Renda
A Person Off Color

Very nice ceremony, looks like.
87 ZG1000 Concours
84 FJ1100
84 Laverda RGS1000
82 Moto Guzzi LeMans 850 Mark III
81 Honda CB900f
75 Norton Commando 850
75 Triumph Trident T160
71 Honda SL175
67 BSA Bantam 175
67 BSA Trail Bronc 175
Tom Renda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:49 PM   #28
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend

Quote:
Yesterday my oldest son and his wife became US citizens and I attended the ceremony in LA. He is a young hotshot executive and his company worked on all of the arrangements. He has been living in the US for 10 or 11 years. It was an very cool ceremony with over 2500 people from 121 countries all over the world being sworn in. They were all very happy and many were very emotional and I suspect that the most emotional are those who have escaped corrupt and dangerous places and now they are free to pursue their happiness.
Obviously this wasn't the case with my son but he deeply loves the US and always has and is a very proud American.:
Another case of lax border security allowing a crisis to unfold!

Congrats and welcome aboard.

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:04 AM   #29
Todd S
I got into RR's pants!

Quote:
If the green card was permanent and didn't have to be renewed every 10 years, I doubt she'd do it.

-T
Old 06-24-2019, 09:12 AM   #30
okrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd S View Post
If the green card was permanent and didn't have to be renewed every 10 years, I doubt she'd do it.

-T
That makes sense for people from Canada. I'd get citizenship tomorrow if I could. That US passport lets you almost everywhere in the world.
okrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:20 AM   #31
WDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrider View Post
That makes sense for people from Canada. I'd get citizenship tomorrow if I could. That US passport lets you almost everywhere in the world.

Even into Canada!
Old 06-24-2019, 10:49 AM   #32
okrider

Green card gets you into Canada no problem. Try getting a UK visa without a US passport, it's difficult..
okrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:12 AM   #33
Pat Glenn
Everything's Just Ducky

Congratulations to your son and his wife.

Pat
Pat Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:54 PM   #34
Alley Oop
Proof That Man Rode Dinosaurs

Congratulations, Pete! I'm sure you're very proud. And we're lucky to attract such stellar talent.

My daughter's boyfriend is Canadian, and he's getting his graduate degree at a top ten U.S. MBA program. I think she'd like to go the other way to leave Gilead; but the U.S. still has opportunities for the executive class.

I attended my first ever citizenship ceremony in January. It was very moving. It was a very long and difficult road for my friend. She was protesting for independence in her native country (Ukraine) when she was violently attacked by a mob of pro-Russian thugs. She's happy to be an American but sad for the rest of her family still in Ukraine. We made Ukraine agreed to transfer their nukes to Russia for promises of safety in 1994 but as usual we didn't hold up our part of the deal, and they got invaded and occupied.

In my previous job, my hardest working staff member was from China and worked with me for about six years. He got his MBA, too, and a job in CA. But ultimately he, like a lot of other talented folks, had to return to his native country. He so much wanted to be an American--and you won't know he wasn't! We don't need to be turning these people away. It's frustrating when elected officials say they won't address immigration reform because it's too "controversial."
Alley Oop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:45 PM   #35
Sam9

The Canadian national food is beer as far as I can tell.

I have a friend whose parents brought her from Sweden when she was 15 and has been here more than 40 years. She is married to an American citizen but has never applied for citizenship. Both parents are deceased. Would it be difficult for her to become a citizen? Could she be deported?
Sam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:24 PM   #36
Desmo
Hello ladies...

Might want to have them talk to an immigration lawyer.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:38 PM   #37
Sam9

Good idea.
Sam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:55 PM   #38
Desmo
Hello ladies...

I mention it because a buddy of mine (Canadian) over stayed his “welcome” by a lot and then realized that shit might go wrong. He spent a lot of money to get it sorted out. Finally ended up with an interview last month and got whatever it is that let’s him stay here for X more years.

He’s going to go for citizenship because it takes less time than having to renew whatever status he has now.

It was a real scary mess for awhile.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:49 PM   #39
Fitty
Picture added for humor only

I thought if an immigrant married a US citizen, they got permanent green card status.

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:11 PM   #40
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitty View Post
I thought if an immigrant married a US citizen, they got permanent green card status.
Typically they'll get it. But, must apply and can be rejected for reasons of background, suspected fraud, etc. After three years of perm residence if still married can apply for US citizenship.

I have a lot of Filipino friends that told me stories about the fraud they'd witnessed. In fact one friend of mine was asking me to be a reference that was going to have some involved interviews and told me what his parents pulled on him when he was trying to explain he'd been married more times than I was aware of.

"Son, for your 21st birthday we're taking you to Las Vegas!"
"Yay!"

They arrive in Vegas.

"Son, we're picking your cousin up at the airport and then heading to the chapel."

"Who's getting married?"

"You are. It's the only way she can get a green card."

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion