make a donation to the fz1oa
fz1oa chat
fz1oa picture uploader
maintain your own photo albums
locate fz1oa members
search the entire board
click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2019, 01:34 PM   #21
Duken4evr
Map Maven
 
Duken4evr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 9,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by quazz View Post
Why are your drug prices so high? I am sure a lot of the scrip drugs bought in Canada were made in the US. Most things made in the US are cheaper in the US.
Because the drug companies have lobbied America's government and have the politicians in their pockets. Nobody dares to cross big pharma.

Drug companies are basically allowed to charge whatever the Hell they want to in the US. In other countries the pricing of new drugs is regulated as their governments view drugs sold to and taken by the populace as a public utility. America also extends lengthy patents to drug makers in it's market, giving the drug companies a longer monopoly status for their drugs.

The silver lining in all this is America is a hotbed of drug innovation, as there is a metric sh%t ton of money to be made in it in the US. In a way, America is subsidizing the rest of the world's health care.
__________________
With experience of a tortured youth, we turn up the music and go in search of the truth.

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".


Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:59 PM   #22
Desmo
Hello ladies...
 
Desmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Palo Alto,CA
Posts: 323,264,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFZ1 View Post
I just came back from Cancun, where amox, cephlex, 2.5% hydrocortisone, and codeine Tylenol was all OTC. Why we canít have stuff like this in the US is beyond me.

I know when Iím sick, why do I have to go to the doctor and pay a copay for them to tell me Iím sick, to write me a script for a $4 antibiotic? Mexico is ahead of us on that one it seems.
You may know you sick, but antibiotics may well not be something that will help.

There's already a huge problem of over prescribing antibiotics leading to resistant bugs.

IMO the last thing we need is people gobbling up antibiotics every time they get a cold.

My 02
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:18 PM   #23
Fitty
Picture added for humor only
 
Fitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Monroe, LA
Posts: 17,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
You may know you sick, but antibiotics may well not be something that will help.

There's already a huge problem of over prescribing antibiotics leading to resistant bugs.

IMO the last thing we need is people gobbling up antibiotics every time they get a cold.

My 02
Agreed! Huge problem!
__________________
"‎Don't count the days; make the days count." Muhammad Ali

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:55 PM   #24
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend
 
LiquidSilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Foleadelphia, Wentzylvania
Posts: 7,198
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
You may know you sick, but antibiotics may well not be something that will help.

There's already a huge problem of over prescribing antibiotics leading to resistant bugs.

IMO the last thing we need is people gobbling up antibiotics every time they get a cold.

My 02
I don't know that making amoxicillin an OTC would affect the resistance of bacteria. It's been a popular antibiotic for seventy five years. However allergic reactions due to overuse, and a reminder that it tends to nullify Birth Control Pills may be reason enough to require a Doctor. With 10 minute clinics everywhere, Doctors are easier to find than even 20 years ago.
__________________
Don

LiquidSilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:40 PM   #25
Desmo
Hello ladies...
 
Desmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Palo Alto,CA
Posts: 323,264,450
IMO Patients deciding to take certain meds because they feel it’s a “good idea”. Eh. Sorry I’m not a fan.

Just because something is popular isn’t a good argument.

Iow. “Argumentum ad populum”

Also I’m not a doctor so I’m not going to speculate on how amoxicillin could affect antibiotic resistance.

I would bet big bucks that if you made amoxicillin available over the counter people would go bananas over it. Giving it themselves and their kids for every fvking thing.

Except antivaxxers of course.
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:43 PM   #26
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end
 
MichaelFZ1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Georgia Piedmont
Posts: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
You may know you sick, but antibiotics may well not be something that will help.

There's already a huge problem of over prescribing antibiotics leading to resistant bugs.

IMO the last thing we need is people gobbling up antibiotics every time they get a cold.

My 02
I tend to agree with you. But my point being, if you go to the doctor with a sinus infection, cold, or strep, which covers about 80% of my visits to my primary care doctor, all they do is prescribe amox or cephlex.

If theyíre going to prescribe it anyway, I could just save time by buying it OTC.

This is just for arguments sake, I have a blood disorder that tends to make me more prone to becoming sick. So I have a roving script for cephlex, so I always have some on hand if needed. It was just a curiousity I saw when in Mexico, thought it was interesting.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:03 PM   #27
Desmo
Hello ladies...
 
Desmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Palo Alto,CA
Posts: 323,264,450
Quote:
If they’re going to prescribe it anyway, I could just save time by buying it OTC.
This is a terrible argument for making that med available over the counter!!

Do you not see how this is bad??? It’s not just about YOU. all of those other people who get a sniffle will head to pharmacy to get an antibiotic because they or their kid sneezed a few times.

BAD IDEA!!


And yes Doctors often over prescribe because they want patients to feel like they’re “helping them”.

That’s not a good thing.

Neither is giving patients direct access to antibiotics.

I give up.

Is their an oil thread I can jump into?
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:31 PM   #28
Cougar
Nerd Herder
 
Cougar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Richland, WA
Posts: 11,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
This is a terrible argument for making that med available over the counter!!

Do you not see how this is bad??? It’s not just about YOU. all of those other people who get a sniffle will head to pharmacy to get an antibiotic because they or their kid sneezed a few times.

BAD IDEA!!


And yes Doctors often over prescribe because they want patients to feel like they’re “helping them”.

That’s not a good thing.

Neither is giving patients direct access to antibiotics.

I give up.

Is their an oil thread I can jump into?


We are just about ****ed already because of the overuse of antibiotics.
__________________
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen


Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:59 AM   #29
arkie6
Registered User
 
arkie6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Russellville, AR
Posts: 5,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
...I would bet big bucks that if you made amoxicillin available over the counter people would go bananas over it. Giving it themselves and their kids for every fvking thing...
It is available over-the-counter, just not at your pharmacy or grocery store. Farm and feed stores have carried this OTC for years. You can buy it on ebay as well. Just not many people know about it.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...n-250mg-100-ct

Of course these pills contain a statement of not for human consumption, but the pills in these "Fish Mox" bottles are generally identical to those prescribed for human consumption.

https://www.homesteadingtoday.com/th...ations.495882/

Look up [fish mox pill] on google images for other examples.

You can also get other types of "fish" antibiotics on ebay and farm supply stores such as Doxycycline, Amoxicillin, Cephalexin, Penicillin, and Ciprofloxacin.
arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:25 AM   #30
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end
 
MichaelFZ1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Georgia Piedmont
Posts: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
This is a terrible argument for making that med available over the counter!!

Do you not see how this is bad??? Itís not just about YOU. all of those other people who get a sniffle will head to pharmacy to get an antibiotic because they or their kid sneezed a few times.

BAD IDEA!!


And yes Doctors often over prescribe because they want patients to feel like theyíre ďhelping themĒ.

Thatís not a good thing.

Neither is giving patients direct access to antibiotics.

I give up.

Is their an oil thread I can jump into?
So basically, because some Americans are dumb and canít be trusted, you suggest we all need to jump through hoops in order to get access to a medicine.

This is starting to sound vindictive of many arguments for other topics. People werenít exactly breaking the door down to buy antibiotics in Mexico. Like other things that the US has legalized, once people have direct access to it, the fad wears away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post


We are just about ****ed already because of the overuse of antibiotics.
You say that like a little plague isnít exactly what we need
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:00 AM   #31
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?
 
gotfz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: SoCal
Posts: 21,284
Opportunity abounds!

Time for me to register that .ca domain and start selling all these fake pills from China.
__________________
SCRIMSHAW!
gotfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:58 AM   #32
Lickety Split
Registered User
 
Lickety Split's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,655
For some reason, big Ag filling all of our meat with antibiotics never makes it into the bug resistance discussion. I also find it hard to believe that we are stuck with antibiotics created before we were born and there is no further advancement expected. We can expect self driving cars, robots, AI and many other things, but we cannot expect improvements to fight off infections?

As far as fake pills are concerned, there is no need to shop outside the US medical system to get fake, partially fake or dangerous prescriptions. If you are on generics, you are probably already dealing with that today. Look up the manufacturer on the label. Here is one of many stories one can find on the subject:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/generic...-as-you-think/
Lickety Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #33
val guy
Go Celtics!!!!!
 
val guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Godfrey, IL
Posts: 442
Iím biting my tongue right now, lol! Iím in pharma and absolutely love it!
val guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:53 PM   #34
Sam9
Registered User
 
Sam9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,121
Antibiotics are GOOD! I keep cephalaxin and doxycycline on hand at all times. And take them when needed and yes I know how to take them. It’s not brain surgery.
Sam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:55 PM   #35
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?
 
gotfz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: SoCal
Posts: 21,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickety Split View Post
...

As far as fake pills are concerned, there is no need to shop outside the US medical system to get fake, partially fake or dangerous prescriptions. If you are on generics, you are probably already dealing with that today. Look up the manufacturer on the label. Here is one of many stories one can find on the subject:
Mixing concerns of fraud with outright fakes... oh wait, there's a book to sell

I can't read or watch anything CBS reports with regard to health these days. Too. Much. Bullshit.

Regardless, the opportunity comes from so many ready to self-medicate and dose. For some stuff I'm fine with it. But for others that can't be reliably judged by the butt dyno (with its placebo error-correction factor) if one is seeing a doctor regularly and getting labs done there's a chance to objectively verify efficacy, adjust dosage, etc
__________________
SCRIMSHAW!
gotfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #36
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend
 
LiquidSilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Foleadelphia, Wentzylvania
Posts: 7,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post
Mixing concerns of fraud with outright fakes... oh wait, there's a book to sell

I can't read or watch anything CBS reports with regard to health these days. Too. Much. Bullshit.

Regardless, the opportunity comes from so many ready to self-medicate and dose. For some stuff I'm fine with it. But for others that can't be reliably judged by the butt dyno (with its placebo error-correction factor) if one is seeing a doctor regularly and getting labs done there's a chance to objectively verify efficacy, adjust dosage, etc
I think we can differentiate taking medication for a persistent issue such as high Blood pressure, or a chronic issue such as Lyme's disease, with a short course of antibiotics for a winter time case of Bronchitis.
I'm not necessarily arguing they should be made available without a Doctor, but a Doctor shouldn't be charged with a crime for prescribing them without a bacterial culture being run either.
__________________
Don

LiquidSilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:25 PM   #37
quazz
Reality can be a tricky thing
 
quazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 20,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post

The silver lining in all this is America is a hotbed of drug innovation, as there is a metric sh%t ton of money to be made in it in the US. In a way, America is subsidizing the rest of the world's health care.
Yeah I believe this. There are pros and cons to every system and the US certainly is great at developing new medicine. The cons are well documented.
__________________

93 Ford F150, leather shift knob (missing), rubber mats, AM/FM radio.
quazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:30 AM   #38
Lickety Split
Registered User
 
Lickety Split's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post
Mixing concerns of fraud with outright fakes... oh wait, there's a book to sell

I can't read or watch anything CBS reports with regard to health these days. Too. Much. Bullshit.

Regardless, the opportunity comes from so many ready to self-medicate and dose. For some stuff I'm fine with it. But for others that can't be reliably judged by the butt dyno (with its placebo error-correction factor) if one is seeing a doctor regularly and getting labs done there's a chance to objectively verify efficacy, adjust dosage, etc
Yeah, I am not sure there are any news sites worth reading anymore. Unfortunately, I have been on a couple of meds since I broke my back in 2011. It has taken years to pick up on it, but one major issue is pharmacies changing the manufacturer from one 30 day period to the next. One generic vendor may be closer to the original formula than others. This can result in withdrawal symptoms like cold/hot flashes, unnecessary anxiety and/or depression, sleeplessness, etc. The variability has been getting worse every year. The only way to combat this is to stop taking the stuff which I am doing very slowly.
Lickety Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:12 AM   #39
Alley Oop
Proof That Man Rode Dinosaurs
 
Alley Oop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Florida Gulf Coast
Posts: 22,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
It is available over-the-counter, just not at your pharmacy or grocery store. Farm and feed stores have carried this OTC for years. You can buy it on ebay as well. Just not many people know about it.
Hey, thanks for the idea. I found some 5mg Prednisone at Vet Depot.

Fortunately, during my recent nerve pain attack, I found some leftover Prednisone in my drug locker and combined that with a Toradol alternative (Motrin)--a combo that got me back to work the next day. If I'd had to get an appointment, I might have missed several days.

Then my doc finally got back in touch, and they kindly agreed to call in a script for the prednisone/toradol combo to have on hand. That combo is what works for me. When you need it, you really want it right now! Otherwise, you're immobilized.

I have spinal surgery in two weeks. So if I'm lucky I won't need the drugs, anymore.
Alley Oop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:13 AM   #40
Alley Oop
Proof That Man Rode Dinosaurs
 
Alley Oop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Florida Gulf Coast
Posts: 22,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by isleoman View Post
In New England both my health care provider and my wife's have secure online interface between patients, Drs, and staff, including refilling prescriptions, asking questions, and making appointment. You can also see all your medical history including lab reports. We always get same day responses (not same minute)

My wife uses it for most of her interactions for both her and her 100 year old Mom.

That's cool.



Alley Oop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:29 PM.


Questions? Comments?
Click on name below to contact via PM
Rabeet (Admin) Desmo (Admin)

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website and Message Board Contents Copyright 2001-2007 FZ1OA
The marks YAMAHAģ and FZ1ģ are used under license from Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.
The information on this web site is NOT approved or endorsed by Yamaha Motor Corporation in any way.
Page generated in 0.09973 seconds with 9 queries