click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 05-10-2019, 06:36 AM   #61
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrider View Post
..... I'll take recommendations for small reliable SUVs that can tow ~2k lbs
Been very satisfied with the RAV4. I would also highly recommend getting radial tires for the trailer if you go with something that uses 12" tires. Saying that, that's the smallest tire I'd use. I had several blow-outs with the 12" bias-ply versions, zero with the radials. My long-term plan was to change out the wheels to the more common 14" car wheel/tire size. A lot less hassle if you are out on a trip and need a tire.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:57 AM   #62
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
I would also highly recommend getting radial tires for the trailer if you go with something that uses 12" tires. Saying that, that's the smallest tire I'd use. I had several blow-outs with the 12" bias-ply versions, zero with the radials. My long-term plan was to change out the wheels to the more common 14" car wheel/tire size. A lot less hassle if you are out on a trip and need a tire.
I had Yokohama radials meant for a Geo Metro on my folding Harbor Freight trailer, they worked great. That little trailer spent a lot of time crossing Utah on I-70 with dirt bikes in it towing at 75 mph. Was very diligent about cleaning and then regularly greasing the wheel bearings. Just balancing the wheels while mounting the radial tires no doubt made a huge difference.

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:03 AM   #63
Wonger

Go with the Taco. The premium you pay now, you'll get it back later when you sell. Also don't discount the leases on the 2wd Taco's down here. I did that for my last one and it was $290/mo with 0 down/0 due and no taxes paid up front ($270 w/o taxes) and 12000 mi/year. When you include maint. costs (free oil changes and rotations at dealer) along with a warranty, it's not a terrible way to go.

If you want to go trailer route, my buddy regularly hauls his bikes up to the mountains with his Prius (almost daily). Just about anything can haul a small utility trailer and two bikes... Don't stress over the vehicle for that. Just a $300 hitch and $500 trailer and your in.. BTW, the savings in wear on sticky tires and 10,000 miles of riding pays for itself in just over a year. Not to mention sitting in AC on the way home rather than ATL traffic in 90+ degrees and humidity.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:59 AM   #64
rdcusmc

Agree with this. A bike is an easy tow for just about any vehicle. I picked up an open bike trailer last year off Craigslist for peanuts. Did a little rehab with bearings and tires and it has worked a treat. Towed my bike out West with my sedan with no problem.

Best,
Ron

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod.
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:53 AM   #65
Tom Renda
I'm Spartacus! I'm Spartacus!

Rumor has it the "El Camino," the car driven by Zoro himself and every other Latin male (or wannabee) since, may make a return to the Bowtie lineup soon!
87 ZG1000 Concours
84 FJ1100
84 Laverda RGS1000
82 Moto Guzzi LeMans 850 Mark III
81 Honda CB900f
75 Norton Commando 850
75 Triumph Trident T160
71 Honda SL175
67 BSA Bantam 175
67 BSA Trail Bronc 175
Tom Renda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #66
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Renda View Post
Rumor has it the "El Camino," the car driven by Zoro himself and every other Latin male (or wannabee) since, may make a return to the Bowtie lineup soon!
Yeah, knowing how they build cars now, it'll probably be a $60,000 Quad-cab.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:23 AM   #67
bmidd
Yet Another Gen1

I've said it before, a CRV pulls a trailer nicely and gets 23mpg while doing it. Mine hardly knows the bike is back there on my 4x7 trailer.
I replaced the shocks with heavy duty Bilsteins, front struts with KYBs.
bmidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:17 AM   #68
WDD

A utility trailer can be pulled by just about anything. I've pull mine with my Sonata and it doesn't even know it's there.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:57 PM   #69
okrider

So much has happened since my last post. I was going to start a job 16 miles away from home, they decided I should work somewhere else so now my commute is only 5 miles and driving there is a pain. So back to looking at pickup trucks.

I've found a 2011 F150 XLT extended cab 3.7 V6 with 125k for $12k. KBB has been very buggy lately, doesn't work very well.

Multiple people have recommended the 3.7 which is why I've been trying to find one of those. Does anyone have any other full sized trucks they have been super happy with? The Toyota and Nissan full sized trucks are way out of my price range. For what I can afford, they sell Jap trucks at 300k miles. You may say it's nothing for a Toyota but the interior and exterior deteriorate with use no matter where the truck's from (upholstery, rust etc)

Would love more insight. Thanks!
okrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #70
quazz
Reality can be a tricky thing

For what it is worth my 2007 F150 XLT is still going strong and looking good. It has the 5.3 V8 and that motor has never given me any trouble. It is not my daily driver though, I just use it for truck stuff so it only has 200,000 km on it and most of those highway. Stop and go traffic just does not exist here I maintain the old girl very well though and always tell myself when I see the maintenance costs that they are less than one monthly payment on a new truck.

93 Ford F150, leather shift knob (missing), rubber mats, AM/FM radio.
quazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:48 PM   #71
bplaxton

I was able to find a deal on a 07 Titan several years ago and it's been solid
2006 shift red, TBR slip-on, cat gutted, modded flies, lars airbox, Ivan's ECU flash and map, DJ PCIII, AIS block, Blind Spot's fuel line, EXUP eliminator, speedohealer, ventura tail rack, HID conversion, throttlemeister bar ends, yamaha gel seat, Watsen Design signals, Satan666 adaptor & R1 shock, Fen Tubo SS lines.
bplaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:52 PM   #72
sloowpoke

My 1988 C-1500 was still running fine when I traded it in 2012. If I hadn't had to make those winter trips into the great white north back in 1992-1995, I'd still be driving it, but the rusted frame was falling apart. I finally gave up on it, when there was nothing left to attach new rear shocks to :-)

The original tail light asemblies were crap, so I replaced them with updated assemblies for the 1992 C-1500. In all those years, the only repairs it needed were the clutch, clutch master cylinder, heater core, alternator, U-joints and water pump.

The engine, transmission and differential never even got opened up in 25 years of use.
sloowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:35 PM   #73
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend

Chevy and Ford are both good choices for 1/2 Ton trucks, just be sure to have them checked out before you figure out what your total cost would be.
There are some good year 5.7L Rams, but they don't get good mileage and have more fans than they should so I wouldn't even bother looking at them.

The 3.7L Ford is a good deal when it flies under the radar because of people looking for a V8 or an ECO boost(yes they have their fans, even among used car dealers). The prices you are coming across don't seem much less than the desired 5.0L.

The earlier Ford 4.6L was a good choice and all years were okay. Like the 5.4L they use oil when they get over 130k or so.
The 5.4L 3Valve 2004-2008 had a terrible head/spark plug design.
They actually accomplished their goal of improving fuel mileage, but at the expense of turning spark plug replacement from a difficult to nearly impossible job. And some motors seemed to eat them prematurely on one cylinder. Avoid those year 5.4L

Chevys may have some of the best motors ever put in trucks, but things around them seemed to live shorter lives than one might hope for.

Automatic Transmissions were always an issue with Domestic 1/2 Tons and Nissans.
But they slowly refined the last generation of 4 speeds in the Fords and Chevys. You still see the occasional failure before 250k.
But it's no longer the norm. Not sure when Nissan solved their Titan trans issues, I'm sure the new reintroduction model had it solved but not sure about the originals.

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:32 AM   #74
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSilver View Post
There are many F150's on RB auctions going off on May 15th in Ft. Worth. 12 of them are 2wd 3.7 extended cab XL's 2012-14 with 75-150k.
It might be good research just to make an account to see what they sold for after the auction is over. They don't charge to make an account, they only charge a refundable deposit if you plan to bid.
Some of these went for more than I expected.
A couple like this:
2014 FORD F150 XL Extended Cab Pickup
Meter Reads: 124,237 Mi*
Details: 3.7 L, V6, A/T
Live Auction
FORT WORTH, TX
Wednesday, May 15, 2019 (Day 2 of 2)
Sold for: 8000 USD

Keep in mind with the 10% buyers fee and paper work fee, this is $8900.
Surprisingly with 20k-30k fewer miles 2 fetched 16000 bid, they only looked mildly cleaner.
It's easier to get an auto loan below 120,000, so some car dealers don't want to mess with a truck that has passed that point. But that drop is precipitous. Another take away was that these 3.7L were not going for very much less than the 5.0L if at all. The 5.0L is probably better bet for the long haul, and for resale in a few years.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:03 AM   #75
Wonger

Add to this the 5.0 gas mileage is not all that different to the 3.7. I've only had the 5.0 in Mustangs personally, but two friends had 5.0 trucks, one buddy has a '17 2.7 (his 2nd), another a King ranch w/ 3.5T, my dad has a '13 3.5T and I just got a 2.7T this year. Zero issues with any of them.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:23 AM   #76
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend

I've heard of issues with the first year 2011 5.0 , but I don't know if it's confirmed or if anything was changed after 2011.
I would expect you will always find people that can find a way to blow up Mustangs Camaros, and Mopar Hemi's.

There are a good selection of F150's with 5.0
and quite a few GM 1500's coming up at the Ritchie Bros in Atlanta on June 26th.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:52 AM   #77
quazz

Quote:
I've heard of issues with the first year 2011 5.0 , but I don't know if it's confirmed or if anything was changed after 2011.
That is the worst pick up line ever. maybe it works in Philly.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:43 PM   #78
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by quazz View Post
That is the worst pick up line ever. maybe it works in Philly.
That's why I usually go with, "Could I give you a complete inspection of you viscous coupling?"

Old 05-16-2019, 01:47 PM   #79
quazz

Quote:
That's why I usually go with, "Could I give you a complete inspection of you viscous coupling?"

Old 05-27-2019, 12:23 PM   #80
okrider

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Got a 2011 f150 3.7 rwd.
okrider is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion