click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 05-03-2019, 11:53 AM   #1
okrider

Thinking of buying a pickup

I have been carless for a year now and with a job change, I think it's time I bought a vehicle with 4 wheels. I've also started going to track days with the FZ1 and figured with a pickup truck, I can do both! I'd like something with 4+ seats. Looks even the small pickups can fit a motorcycle with the tailgate down (except maybe a Chevy Avalanche). I'd prefer a manual but it's not a deal breaker at this point. Would love to have one with a backup camera.

I'm looking at a crew cab Nissan Frontier, would prefer a Tacoma, but they are literally twice the $$ for the same number of miles. Also, read about the Tacoma tailgate bending out when you put weight on it. Apparently Frontiers tend to overheat the transmission but the one I'm looking at should have it fixed. I don't think I want a Ranger (rear seats too small).

Looking for advice on what I should look for when checking out a used one and info on general reliability of brands/models. Trying to stay under $8k.

Last edited by okrider; 05-03-2019 at 02:28 PM.
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:56 AM   #2
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Nissan trans coolers suck. First thing I’d do is put a mishimoto trans cooler on it. I had one on my old powerstroke and loved it, I used to average 220 degrees just driving around, after the Mishi cooler I wouldn’t even hit 180.

But fwiw, after having a long bed pickup it’s hard to go back to a short bed. Putting the bike in the back and closing the tail gate is awesome. You also don’t have to strap everything down with the tailgate up.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:02 PM   #3
_Will_

I had an 06 or 07 Frontier king cab with the 4.0 and 6 spd manual. I only owned it till 22k miles and got rid of it for mileage but still miss it. The engine was very linear and had no problem getting out of its own way, I found myself speeding more in my truck than I did in the Camaro it replaced. The clutch friction point was a little short compared to the Saginaw 3spd I learned on fron 60’s GM in my father’s Camaro but you get used to it quickly.
_Will_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:30 PM   #4
WileECoyote
ACME Test Subject

Location: Bridgeville PA, its not Ten Cee but okay for now......
8k is kinda low from what I've seen of whats in the market. I assume your looking 2 wheel drive. Trucks are a tough market. Either they are in fab shape and fetching a bunch $$$ or they're beat down and $.
I had a Tacoma extended cab 4x4. Great truck but narrow. You want an extended cab no matter which one you buy. You'll appreciate the extra space. I had zero issues in the 325k miles I drove it. Oil, filters, tires and brakes and thats it. Of the 5 trucks I've owned, probably the best.

2008 Ducati Hyper
2012 Aprilia V4 Tuono

My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:40 PM   #5
bradd
Working away

Just as an FYI an Avalanche will work for track days with a 600 or something of similar wheel base, all the weight of the contact patch of the tire is still in the box.

I had 2 Avalanches and liked them, but they do seem to command pretty high values
Old 05-03-2019, 12:43 PM   #6
isleoman

I just sold my 2012 Frontier 4X2 extended cab. Had the economy 4X2 non extended Tacoma before that. In New England many, many Tacoma owners suffered frames rotting out around 100K. You can get an adult in the Nissan's monkey seats but they won't be happy after 20 miles. I couldn't live with another non-extended cab.

To me there is no question the current Tacomas are the best looking although I'm starting to come around to the Canyon/Colorado.

I traded the 2012 Frontier for a 2019. Same everything. I traded because I could see a lot of surface rust (not rot) on the bottom of the 2012. As you already know the Nissan is much less expensive. My manual trans model was in the high $18K. They are cheaper in MD for some reason?

They have the worst safety rating if that's important to you. That was the only thing that was bugging me about staying with Nissan.

If your going to haul your bike often a low trailer would make a lot of sense. I've had my Gen 1 in the 4X2 Tacoma and it will take it and I suspect the Frontier would too but the brakes are the weak link and it's a sketchy proposition doing it on ramps.

The neighbor's kid has the tricked out version of the Chevy Colorado, he paid around $36K. Too much for my local, non commuting needs.

Volkswagen is coming out with an EV small truck..........I'd be concerned about the reported emissions.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:55 PM   #7
bplaxton

I've been very happy with my '07 Titan crew. The local Nissan dealer is much better to work with than most dealership experiences I've had. The truck is comfortable, sturdy and reliable, not great on gas.
2006 shift red, TBR slip-on, cat gutted, modded flies, lars airbox, Ivan's ECU flash and map, DJ PCIII, AIS block, Blind Spot's fuel line, EXUP eliminator, speedohealer, ventura tail rack, HID conversion, throttlemeister bar ends, yamaha gel seat, Watsen Design signals, Satan666 adaptor & R1 shock, Fen Tubo SS lines.
bplaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:44 PM   #8
Duken4evr
Map Maven

It is not sexy and won't attract the ladies, but if wanting to get into a decent pickup on the cheap, and old Ford Ranger with the 3.0 V6 in good shape is hard to beat, as is a Frontier.

Condition and who owned it is more important than model year, as both trucks did not really change much for decades Find an older good one owner truck and you are golden.

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:02 PM   #9
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

While a truck with 4 doors and a big open bed is nice for hauling bikes and helping friends move refrigerators, you may also consider other vehicles such as SUV's, while using a hitch hauler to carry one motorcycle. I've hauled my FZ in the old F150 long bed, but man what a bitch getting it in and out.

I bought the hitch hauler ( https://www.discountramps.com/hitch-...ier/p/MCC-600/) and love how easy it is for one person to load/unload, plus it keeps the bed clear for other stuff. Maybe a truck with shell for rain proof camping and gear storage? Then the hitch hauler to easily transport the bike for track days.

Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon in diesel are also good mid-size trucks.

If you want to try out the hitch hauler, ride out one day and I'll show you how easy it works.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:21 PM   #10
fermic37

Stay away from the 07.5-11 Silverados sierras and avalanche with the 5.3 in them. Even if they come up cheap.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:39 PM   #11
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
Stay away from the 07.5-11 Silverados sierras and avalanche with the 5.3 in them. Even if they come up cheap.
For the cylinder deactivation and oil consumption issues?

A complete running engine from most junk yards is less than 1k.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:54 PM   #12
riding4fun

I was able to get my Gen 1 in the back of my 1999 Toyota Tacoma and close the tail gate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160430_173931_zpsbf8cj8qe.JPG (247.3 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 20160430_173912_zpshhvvthja.JPG (207.9 KB, 115 views)
riding4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:05 PM   #13
jared p
^ guy

other option, buy whatever you want that can tow at least 2k pounds, then get a 4x8 foldable harbor freight trailer and tow your bike. around here you can get about 15 yr old trucks for under 8k but lotsa miles usually. other option, look at full sized vans, can fit the bike straight in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riding4fun View Post
I was able to get my Gen 1 in the back of my 1999 Toyota Tacoma and close the tail gate.
pretty sure i've seen your bike before
jared p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:30 PM   #14
okrider

That looks very cool, that's what I'm shooting for. Right now, runner up, I intend to check out a 2006 Nissan Frontier NISMO w/ 157k miles, auto trans (womp womp). Maintenance history, touchscreen head unit with backup camera which is a big plus for the lady. Radiator bypass has been done which should eliminate what the frontier folk call SMOD(Strawberry Milkshake of Death - coolant leaking into transmission fluid, similar to the water pump seal on the FZ1 from the sounds of it).

I'm reading their forums to find out what I need to check for which I should've done before buying the FZ1.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:25 PM   #15
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend

If you're not dead set on 4wd, look at 2011 up F150 extended cabs with a 3.7L not eco-boost 3.5L.
They get good mileage and make good power. It's the same motor in Explorer Police cars and see tons of abuse with few failures.

A real clean example with 170k just sold for $5200 around here. Most are XL and XLT because of being fleet trucks.

I'm amazed at how poor the gas mileage is in lots of mid sized trucks. I swear my 4.6 Ford uses no more fuel than my cousins 3.6L GMC
Acadia.

LiquidSilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:29 PM   #16
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared p View Post
other option, buy whatever you want that can tow at least 2k pounds, then get a 4x8 foldable harbor freight trailer and tow your bike. around here you can get about 15 yr old trucks for under 8k but lotsa miles usually. other option, look at full sized vans, can fit the bike straight in the back.

Wow I bought a 17 year old truck for under $1500.

LiquidSilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:29 PM   #17
okrider

I would prefer rwd over 4wd. Less complicated = reliable. I'll look into those thanks
Old 05-03-2019, 06:42 PM   #18
fermic37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFZ1 View Post
For the cylinder deactivation and oil consumption issues?

A complete running engine from most junk yards is less than 1k.
Yes. And yes they are. Plus the installation costs, plus the hassle, plus the engines you pull from the yard can just have the same issue.

If you just avoid the early cylinder deactivation models in any brand you will save some headaches.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:52 PM   #19
sloowpoke

I'll point out something no one has addressed...

When you're up in the bed, maneuvering around the bike as you load it and tie it down all by yourself, a full width P/U makes everything much easier as you age. At my age, joint pain and weakening muscles are making me much clumsier at handleing the bike when I'm not riding it.
sloowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:45 PM   #20
riding4fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared p View Post

I sold it a few years ago but I was a member here when I was building it. That day in the pic was when I did a track day at The Ridge. Awesome day for sure.
riding4fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion