click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 06-02-2019, 07:35 PM   #21
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Well, darn. The things are alive and well I guess. I haven't had a 2-smoke bike in a long time Michael, but I do remember cleaning those plugs occasionally. I also remember learning one should always keep a fresh plug and wrench on the bike.

My only oil burners are tools, which run fairly lean and usually under high rpm/heavy load, so they burn decently clean. Never clean the plugs and rarely need replacements.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:34 AM   #22
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by quazz View Post
You really know your stuff don't you.
When you've had a car jump timing just as you close the hood, you've seen everything.

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:42 AM   #23
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
As for cleaning plugs, who in the world uses, much less needs, an abrasive grit blaster for spark plugs anymore? I thought those things vaporized with the 20th century. Back in the day yeah, when the leaded gas and rich mixtures started fouling your V8 plugs after 10k and it was economical to clean them, sure. And agree, using a metallic brush was only good for temporary use, but was actually effective when you needed to get the lawn mowed now. Can't tell you how many times I brushed the plug and ran a strip of 400 grit paper through the points on my old Bobcat to easily do a days work.

But with 21st century materials and construction, I can't imagine cleaning plugs on a regular basis. Lawn mower, weed whacker, or chain saw, I would do it if needed, with a brush, just to get me through a task, especially if a new one wasn't 15 minutes away at the auto parts store. Otherwise, and this would be with any of my ICE's, I'll just get new plug(s). They are cheap, and typically last a long time (relative to that 1985 crap).

Do you actually use one?
One employer and three managers ago, we were talking about sandblasting spark plugs.
The manager said "I'll bet you had one".
I opened my tool box and pulled it out.

I think I used it once in the last 15 years on a none auto/motorcycle application.

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:54 PM   #24
quazz
Reality can be a tricky thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSilver View Post
When you've had a car jump timing just as you close the hood, you've seen everything.
I have no idea what you just said.

93 Ford F150, leather shift knob (missing), rubber mats, AM/FM radio.
quazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:14 PM   #25
jredford
Musical Metal

Just put new belts (2) on my Troy built 2446. I also have a sump gasket leak that drops oil on the exhaust pipe cover - I have to remove the engine to replace, I think I will just top off before each use.

I also changed the fuel filter, lines and spark plugs.

The belts were remarkably easy to replace.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:05 PM   #26
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSilver View Post
One employer and three managers ago, we were talking about sandblasting spark plugs.
The manager said "I'll bet you had one".
I opened my tool box and pulled it out.

I think I used it once in the last 15 years on a none auto/motorcycle application.
Yes sir, I do recall having and using one back in the day. Mine was electric with battery terminal clips. Mostly used it for two-stroke dirt bikes.

As for "jumped timing", I remember my old Challenger with 440. It was running fine, but backfired when I shut it off. No more start. Luckily this 16 year old kid had a friend that was an experienced mechanic. I had no clue. The 440 Magnum not only got new steel gears and a double roller chain, but a nice Crane cam with a bit more lift/duration. You know, because a 16 year old needed moah powah!
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion