click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 08-24-2018, 11:38 PM   #1
G_man

Motorcycle Friends are the best!

There's something about motorcycle friends (Street & Dirt) that are not like others I have met throughout the years. It's hard to put into words but there's a certain camaraderie as only a fellow Moto-head can understand.

Maybe it's the fact that when you line up behind the Starting Gate with 40 other Riders and the ADRENALINE is pumping at Full Tilt because you want to be the guy leading into the first turn but so do the 39 other dudes!

And yes we all know that something could go terribly wrong and it has (RIP Mark A) but you have to maintain a certain calmness amongst all the noise and excitement.

There is nothing else in the world that can replicate that feeling.

I've been in Arizona for 31 years now and I've known Don for just about that whole time and consider him one of my best friends. He is the most positive person I've ever known and honestly cannot think of one time he's ever complained or had anything bad to say about anyone, just an all-around great guy and also top-notch mechanic who will help you out when needed.

He's been battling stage 4 colon cancer for a couple years now and has had numerous chemo sessions in that time.

Here is a 20 year old picture of Don and I before we go into battle at the Lake Elsinore Grand Prix.

My other good buddy, Jimco who I've also known for a long time went up to visit Don in Show Low recently as he retreats up there in the summer to work his mobile RV service. While he was there Don had talked about the upcoming annual Howling at the Moon dual-sport ride, this time Prescott in late October.

Don also mentioned how he's had his eye on the new Husky dual sport bikes for a while as he currently rides an XR 650 and does a pretty fine job doing it.

(Sidestory)
Matter of fact, back in February my longest running good friend (50yrs!) Jeff--from Balboa, came out to ride our Annual Four Lake Saloon TT as my Zonie friends luv him.

So we met Don over at Backyard Taco and we woofed down the delicious Mesquite fire grub.
Jeff enjoying the Backyard Taco and a side dish of grilled onions and roasted chilies.

Anyway a new Husky dealer had opened up in Mesa and Jeff wanted to go check it out, so we followed Don over there as he had already been checking out the new Husqvarnas.
Here is Don getting the feel of the bike and having the "I want this Bike!" feeling run through this veins...

So after Jimco gets back in town he gives me a call and talks about his conversation with Don and how he would really like to get him a new motorcycle.

I thought it was a great idea but really wasn't in the financial position to be able to do it. I suggested maybe I could send out a group text to our crew and see if somehow we could all pitch in or help in anyway so that Don could get his Dream Machine for Howlin at Moon. I sent Jimco the picture above so that he would make sure he got the right bike.

And that started the ball rolling and we had replies and contributions to Jimco as he was the majority stakeholder in all of this.

Not more than a few days later Jim send me a text with a new Husky in the back of his pickup!

And here is Don with the surprise of a lifetime.

I think he is in a State of Shock wondering if this is a dream! hahaha

Because this all happened so fast it was impossible to have everybody there to surprise Don with the bike. So I invited him over to put the bike on my new lift and we could have a barbecue and gawk at the sweet machine.

I wanted to surprise Don with the amount of people that would show up but he arrived a half hour early and asked where is everybody? hahaha

It turned out to be a good time and it was great to have the old Moto crew back together. I hadn't seen a couple of ol mates in a while including whyz (Bob) who is also a forum member here.

As the night rolled on and many beers were consumed, Don had received all kinds of suggestions on what he should do to the NEW bike! So we decided to break out some wrenches and do a little Factory Tuning.....

Our final stop on the 4 Lake 4 Saloon TT back in February...

I want to give a special shout-out to Jimco for his huge heart and contribution and to all my other Arizona friends who helped make this possible.
Bob, Dano, Kimbro, Bill, Marko and Smiley.....
Also to my girl Jan who has been a huge support base for his wife Cathy.

Stay close to your friends guys.....

Steve McQueen--On Any Sunday

Last edited by G_man; 08-25-2018 at 09:06 PM.
G_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:45 PM   #2
WileECoyote
ACME Test Subject

Location: Bridgeville PA, its not Ten Cee but okay for now......
Great write up. Absolutely, stay close to your friends, great things can and will happen

GOOD ON YOU DUDE.

2008 Ducati Hyper
2012 Aprilia V4 Tuono

My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:27 AM   #3
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer

We should all be so lucky to have friends like this...
What a beautiful story.
2014 Yamaha Zuma 125 ("track" bike )
Torchsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:43 AM   #4
okaugust
Hell Bent for Leather

Old 08-25-2018, 06:34 PM   #5
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

This thread rocks G_man. Hell yes, friends and memories should be shaken and stirred often.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:33 PM   #6
jredford
Musical Metal

This has to be one of the best threads I have ever read. Thank You for sharing.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:24 PM   #7
grommet
kinetic mentality

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:04 AM   #8
jointbeaker

This is absolutely awesome.

Met some pretty great people on this forum.
jointbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #9
G_man

Thanks so much guys I really appreciate it.

So here's an update on my ol' buddy the last two chemo sessions the results were it moved from his colon to his lung the second PET scan just last week showed it has enlarged slightly on his lung.

I called Don yesterday as he had just recently drove back to Show Low to ask him how he was doing, his reply was "GREAT" and he said so very empathetically!

He said, "So the doctor at the VA (which Don has high praises for) said the last two chemo sessions have not worked and he wants to go outside the box and try something new to the VA but has been tried at other Hospitals, it's called an Immune Therapy".

But first they have to do a test for it to see if he could be a candidate.

He had much enthusiasm in his voice it's just amazing his outlook on life at this stage. One can learn from being around someone like that and I feel very fortunate to be a good friend of Don.

I've learned a lot from knowing him as he was also a former roommate and we used to go to all the tracks together.

Even after I got married he lived in the basement and all was good.

Here is Don on his trusty ol CR500 that he used to race and then turned it into a Dual Sport bike.
He never rides it for the last 8 to 10 years or so and I'm sure he wants to sell it just needs to find the time.

All these pics below have been through the years of knowing he has cancer and chemo treatments you would never know it by the way he acts and lives his life.
I'm sure amongst you guys you've known people like Don who have the brightest Outlook even when it looks dark outside. We all can learn on how to treat others and live life with a smile.

Don also enjoys going to Suns games with me even though he's not a huge sports fan ( he would rather be tinkering or fixing something) we have a great time and here he is displaying his new shirt they were giving away!

Back in February on the Arizona 4 Lake 4 Saloon TT

Last edited by G_man; 08-26-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:27 AM   #10
G_man

Update:

Looks like Don will be going to his FIRST ever MotoDesNations!

For those that don't know this happens to be the BIGGEST Motocross event of the year. It is the Olympics of Motocross where the best three riders from each Country are selected. They rotate the host Country each year and in October it will be at RedBud Michigan!

I heard rumors they expect close to 100,000 people--it will be a madhouse as the Euro fans are nuts!

The classes are mixed together on one gate and you get 250's racing against 450's and makes for some very interesting racing to say the least.

This will be my forth one, my first was in Holland back in 1992 an event the American's won and I will never forget.

Jimco coughed up his spot in the trailer and I bought him a plane ticket.

Good times!

Old 08-28-2018, 12:11 PM   #11
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer

I might be going to the Motocross des nations.
Pastrana will be racing for team Puerto Rico to help raise funds for hurricane recovery.

https://redbudmx.com/2018-mxon/
Old 08-28-2018, 12:14 PM   #12
Wayne-O
Traffic!!! Ya gotta love it.

On slightly differnt note " There's no together like together on a motorcycle ". You and your girl on a bike together. There is nothing like it.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:55 PM   #13
G_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchsport View Post
I might be going to the Motocross des nations.
Pastrana will be racing for team Puerto Rico to help raise funds for hurricane recovery.

https://redbudmx.com/2018-mxon/
Well you should turn that might to a must do there is no event ever like the Motocross des Nations.

And yes I know about team Puerto Rico originally that goofball Ronnie Mac was going to race it and they were going to all be on 2 Strokes but the FIM declared they would not take a fictitious character to a prestigious event like this so he pulled out and Kevin Windham on the 450 will take his place.

Pastrana will still be on a 2-stroke though should be awesome!

If you are even thinking about it you better start making plans I've heard hotels within a 50-mile radius are sold out!

Last edited by G_man; 08-28-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:02 PM   #14
G_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne-O View Post
On slightly differnt note " There's no together like together on a motorcycle ". You and your girl on a bike together. There is nothing like it.
You won't get an argument from me I definitely agree with you.

Last yr from the Rock Store.....

Old 08-28-2018, 09:32 PM   #15
Duken4evr
Map Maven

What a great story! I will lift a prayer for Don before I go to sleep tonight.

This will sound wrong, arrogant, ridiculous, etc, but to be honest, I have difficulty having lasting friendships with people who do not ride. The ones that truly stick all ride. That is simply the way it is in my life these days.

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:01 AM   #16
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post

This will sound wrong, arrogant, ridiculous, etc, but to be honest, I have difficulty having lasting friendships with people who do not ride. The ones that truly stick all ride. That is simply the way it is in my life these days.
Interesting. Makes perfect sense. But I am quite the opposite.
A lot of my lifelong friends dont ride or very seldom do.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:13 AM   #17
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.

I keep few close friends. Really, I'm more of a lone wolf. My woman, daughter, bro, sis, bro in law and sis in law, 'rents are my inner circle.

The next layer is motorcycle friends, and I don't mean riding buddies. Just people I meet in the "community." Then law school friends.

Any how, Don is lucky to have friends like you and Jimco, just like you two are lucky to have friends like Don. It's a touching story for sure. Saying a quiet one for Don. I dont know how folks stay so positive. Not at all sure I could.

Wishing Don the best!
BruinFZ1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:04 AM   #18
G_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post

Thanks Duke!
And yes I agree with you, all my good friends are Motorcycle-related (dirt & street). I'm really trying to think of any non-m/c friends and there are a few and far between....

Then there are those work-related, but don't have much in common with them either.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:11 AM   #19
G_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFZ1guy View Post
I keep few close friends. Really, I'm more of a lone wolf. My woman, daughter, bro, sis, bro in law and sis in law, 'rents are my inner circle.

The next layer is motorcycle friends, and I don't mean riding buddies. Just people I meet in the "community." Then law school friends.

Any how, Don is lucky to have friends like you and Jimco, just like you two are lucky to have friends like Don. It's a touching story for sure. Saying a quiet one for Don. I dont know how folks stay so positive. Not at all sure I could.

Wishing Don the best!
Thanks Bruinguy, much appreciated and yes I don't know how Don does it either, I'm pretty sure I would be a wreck.

btw in a previous post I see your from Glendale, I'm from Eagle Rock and grew up on "G Hill" which was the mtn behind Glendale High before they plowed the #2 Fwy thru it.

Damon's restaurant is my favorite steakhouse even though some say it's not as good as it use to be.

The plan is to be in Eagle Rock before my Hwy1 trip 9/8.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:27 PM   #20
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_man View Post
Thanks Bruinguy, much appreciated and yes I don't know how Don does it either, I'm pretty sure I would be a wreck.

btw in a previous post I see your from Glendale, I'm from Eagle Rock and grew up on "G Hill" which was the mtn behind Glendale High before they plowed the #2 Fwy thru it.

Damon's restaurant is my favorite steakhouse even though some say it's not as good as it use to be.

The plan is to be in Eagle Rock before my Hwy1 trip 9/8.
Oh, cool! Yes, I love Damon's. We have lived in Glendale a little over 3 years and just discovered Damon's a year or so ago. We've been 4 or 5 times or so. Excellent prime rib!

I'm headed out of town for a few days 9/7. But message me if you get here before that!
BruinFZ1guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion