click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 08-01-2017, 08:21 AM   #61
Fitty
Picture added for humor only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd S View Post
Liking this idea of a gather at aussie's pad!

Hey aussie, you still in touch with any of our other old members down under? Roo, Cookie, etc?

-T
Cookie passed away Dec, 2014.

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...ghlight=Cookie

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:41 PM   #62
WDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
Follow up: The pool is doing very well, and we are using it almost every day.

I ended up having to drain it and pressure wash the surface.
Yikes - sounds like a lot of water to dump into the street! What is the water bill to fill a pool? When my in laws lived in Dallas, the street dept would charge a nomimal fee to fill a pool from a fire hydrant if one was close enough.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:52 PM   #63
grommet
kinetic mentality

I didn't put it in the street. I have a 1.75 acre backyard, so I just watered the trees and grass with it. No big deal.

$3/1000 gallons. I estimate 25-30K gallons, so less than $100. I called the water company and they said no big deal, fill it right up.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:56 PM   #64
Falcon 269
Just passing through

Cool. Literally.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:10 PM   #65
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

This might sound silly.... but how do you fill it? Just stick a garden hose in there over night?
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:23 PM   #66
grommet
kinetic mentality

overnight

Yes, just put the hose in and turn it on.

About 4 days. I do not know the exact volume of the pool. I had estimated it at 18 - 20K gallons. I did a flow rate test from the hose and got 6g/min. Started Monday around 1pm, calculated to be full Wednesday 8pm. About 55 hours. I had to turn it off a few times in there, but it wasn't done until Friday morning around 8am. Around 92 hours. Take off 6 or so for the breaks, it took about 86 hours. With constant flow rate, that would be almost 31,000 gallons. I did not verify constant flow rate, so it could be less than that. So it's somewhere between 20-30K gallons.

Even if it costs 3X as much as normal, it will have been well worth it to get the surface clean and fresh water in there.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:48 PM   #67
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Pool party at Grommet's!!!!
Old 08-02-2017, 05:29 PM   #68
didier9

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
4 years of pool care service would buy a number of decent bikes . . .
That is exactly the point
I have had a boat, I have a pool and a bike. Very clearly more enjoyable to spend money on the bike. Imagine a bike where you have to spend $100s and hours each month or more just changing fluids, it's about as much fun and it's not even a Ducati!
I was so happy when I sold the boat. It's been 4 years and still when we drive over the bridge and see people in their boats and I smile, my wife looks at me and smiles too. She knows. We are both thinking "we could have a boat, and we don't, we happy "
Old 08-02-2017, 05:35 PM   #69
didier9

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunderfighter View Post
This might sound silly.... but how do you fill it? Just stick a garden hose in there over night?
When i refill the pool, I use well water from the sprinkler system. It is actually cleaner than city water (less solids) but I need to add more alkalinity and calcium than if I used city water. It costs me about $60 more in chemicals but $150 less in water. When I had the well redone, I had them go 30 feet deeper than the minimum necessary to get extra clean water. It was worth it.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:18 AM   #70
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

I always thought you could get the fire department to come out and fill your pool from the closest hydrant?

Here, city water cost includes a sewage fee that is actually MUCH larger than the cost of the actual water. If you have septic, you don't pay it, but if you have significant usage that would not result in drainage to sewer, such as irrigation, you have to tell them so they don't charge you the full sewage rate.

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:53 PM   #71
didier9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
I always thought you could get the fire department to come out and fill your pool from the closest hydrant?

Here, city water cost includes a sewage fee that is actually MUCH larger than the cost of the actual water. If you have septic, you don't pay it, but if you have significant usage that would not result in drainage to sewer, such as irrigation, you have to tell them so they don't charge you the full sewage rate.
Here too but only on the first few thousand gallons, i forgot how many. They figure that if you use more water than that, you must be watering plants. We are normally pretty much at the limit because my wife does use the garden hose for some plants that the sprinkler does not reach so filling the pool would cost me "only" $150 in water. My pool is 33,000 gallons and it takes 3 days at least with the sprinkler pump to fill it.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:23 PM   #72
Cougar
Nerd Herder

My house is the first one served by a 12" main that comes off of a 20" pipe and the city's pump is near my house so I have an unbelievable flow rate. With a 3/4" hose turned on all the way the water will shoot out more than 15 feet without using my thumb to make it shoot further. I use 3 or 4 hoses and I can fill up my pool of about 25,000 gallons in less than 24 hours. The city will connect to the fire hydrant for a fee but I've never used them.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:13 PM   #73
DaveAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
My house is the first one served by a 12" main that comes off of a 20" pipe and the city's pump is near my house so I have an unbelievable flow rate. With a 3/4" hose turned on all the way the water will shoot out more than 15 feet without using my thumb to make it shoot further. I use 3 or 4 hoses and I can fill up my pool of about 25,000 gallons in less than 24 hours. The city will connect to the fire hydrant for a fee but I've never used them.
oh good I'm not alone. in this town, 24 hours will do it. I was reading about 3 or 4 days like
DaveAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:36 PM   #74
grommet
kinetic mentality

If it becomes an issue, I'll go talk to them. It shouldn't be hard to show that there's no possible way to get that water into the drain system.

I live in a neighborhood that was built in the 50's. Stuff's old.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:44 PM   #75
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
Pool party at Grommet's!!!!
It sounds about that time no ? They need real BBQ up there so we could be heros.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:52 PM   #76
grommet
kinetic mentality

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboot View Post
It sounds about that time no ? They need real BBQ up there so we could be heros.
Anytime

Old 09-02-2017, 07:23 PM   #77
aussie
Closet golf nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd S View Post
Liking this idea of a gather at aussie's pad!

Hey aussie, you still in touch with any of our other old members down under? Roo, Cookie, etc?

-T

Sorry Todd, but didn't see this until now as I only drop in from time to time.

To answer your question, I still correspond with Old Man Roo from time to time on the Book face! LOL

I used to live about 100 miles from him and we rode together a few times. Now I live more like 1000.

And you and Mike are welcome to come over for a swim anytime! LOL.
aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:28 PM   #78
grommet
kinetic mentality

Follow up on this thread -

The pool came through the winter ok, with nothing growing it in when I opened it up. I did make a mistake with the filter - didn't drain it completely and it froze and cracked. Quote from Leslie's on a replacement filter was over $700. I found one online for $209 shipped. It arrived in 2 days.

During the few days I was waiting for the filter and all, a bunch of tree debris fell into the pool. There's a tree right next to it that drops a lot of stuff. After the 3rd day it was pretty milky, as the tree stuff disintegrated and sifted to the bottom. I tried to pull it out with the net but that didn't work too well.

So I got the new filter installed and filled with sand. I didn't use pool sand, just put in the cheapest play sand from Home Depot. Spent quite a bit of time vacuuming out the stuff on the bottom. It took a few days to get the chemistry back to normal, but once I did, it cleared up beautifully. It's now crystal clear and taking very little effort to maintain it.

It's very nice when it's working well. Thanks again for all the help last year.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:47 AM   #79
V10KLZZ71S
Ford Lover

Location: Gretna,Louisiana/Tennessee Colony, Texas/Lower Alabama
Checking PH is very important, chlorine doesn't do its thing if the PH is off.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:29 AM   #80
grommet
kinetic mentality

Yeah I'm keeping a close eye on the ph. Normally our water ph is low, so I add soda ash, about 4lb per week. Keeps it in the right range and everything else works well.

It's so nice when the pool is crisp and clean. And so nice to get in there after a hot day. Love it.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion