click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 06-15-2017, 05:29 PM   #41
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboot View Post
Cold water will make nipples hard.
Cold Water went away in late June. Bath water went away in late September.

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:19 PM   #42
grommet
kinetic mentality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAA View Post
grommet, check the filter manifolds for cracks while you have it open, that could be the cause of a slightly cloudy pool. pretty common. carts or grids get overloaded, cracks the manifold
I have a sand filter. No cartridges or grids. It has a multifunction valve on top that seems fairly new and works exactly as indicated by the labels near each position. I've looked over all the plumbing, pump housing, filter and valve, etc and find no cracks, leaks, or damage.

I have several large cottonwood trees in my backyard. Someone at work mentioned that the silk can cover the top of the sand and basically plug the filter. I opened it today and looked inside. The sand is mostly clean with some normal tree and plant debris in it but nothing what I would call unusual. I have backwashed and rinsed it every 2-3 days since we moved in so I think that has kept it clean.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:32 PM   #43
Falcon 269
Just passing through

Sand filters ... I like them. You should consider changing the sand every 3 - 4 years depending on how much use the pool gets. Backwashing does remove some of the sand, mostly the finer stuff, which reduces filtration slightly over time. Pool shops may try to sell you expensive super filtration 'sand' made of powdered glass. Don't be taken in. Good quality silica sand for pool use will do you just fine.

Re putting chlorine tablets in the skimmer basket, it's not the basket itself which is the concern, it's the pipework immediately downstream of the skimmer. If your pool has rigid UPVC tubing, no worries. However, in Spain most pools are constructed using flexi-PVC hose which is highly vulnerable to chlorine! Over 90% of pools here need the skimmer pipework repairing between 5 - 7 years after construction. A great work creation scheme for the pool builders and maintainers! Hopefully in the USA that's not an issue.

I appreciate that floating chlorine dispensers wind up against the skimmer when the pump is on but there's water movement diluting the concentration of chlorine at that time. It's when the pump is off that the chlorine level gets unacceptably high in the pipework and downstream to the pump and filter. Best to avoid that if possible.

PS. I'd suggest getting the hard copy version of the manual, not the Kindle version. There's lots of tables, illustrations and photos which don't usually come over well in Kindle format.

Last edited by Falcon 269; 06-16-2017 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Added PS.
Falcon 269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:14 AM   #44
isleoman

Do you see any increase in home insurance cost due to the pool?

Probably tough to tell if you don't have before and after numbers?
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:16 AM   #45
grommet
kinetic mentality

Cheaper than the last house I owned which was newer, smaller, and did not have a pool.

No idea.

Different insurance company, but otherwise, it made no sense to me.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:30 PM   #46
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend

I've heard of motels and such that couldn't get insurance with a diving board over the pool.
2 biggest dangers of pools regarding lawsuits:
Diving accidents, and small children drowning.
Having the appropriate height locked fence around the pool negates large settlements in drownings.
Diving accidents can happen even from diving off the side.
More common than I once thought, always messy expensive suits to cover disabilities.

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:15 AM   #47
DaveAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSilver View Post
I always put the new tablet in the skimmer basket, I had to replace the skimmer basket once, $6 no big deal the pvc housing wasn't affected in the least. The pump line was about 16" below the skimmer basket and a good 18-20' from the pump in the back yard. If you put the chlorine in a float and leave a skimmer type pool unattended, it will end up against the skimmer anyway.
you do you.

repair guys gotta make $ too ;)
DaveAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:17 AM   #48
DaveAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon 269 View Post
Sand filters ... I like them. You should consider changing the sand every 3 - 4 years depending on how much use the pool gets. Backwashing does remove some of the sand, mostly the finer stuff, which reduces filtration slightly over time. Pool shops may try to sell you expensive super filtration 'sand' made of powdered glass. Don't be taken in. Good quality silica sand for pool use will do you just fine.

Re putting chlorine tablets in the skimmer basket, it's not the basket itself which is the concern, it's the pipework immediately downstream of the skimmer. If your pool has rigid UPVC tubing, no worries. However, in Spain most pools are constructed using flexi-PVC hose which is highly vulnerable to chlorine! Over 90% of pools here need the skimmer pipework repairing between 5 - 7 years after construction. A great work creation scheme for the pool builders and maintainers! Hopefully in the USA that's not an issue.

I appreciate that floating chlorine dispensers wind up against the skimmer when the pump is on but there's water movement diluting the concentration of chlorine at that time. It's when the pump is off that the chlorine level gets unacceptably high in the pipework and downstream to the pump and filter. Best to avoid that if possible.

PS. I'd suggest getting the hard copy version of the manual, not the Kindle version. There's lots of tables, illustrations and photos which don't usually come over well in Kindle format.
yes
Old 06-19-2017, 12:24 AM   #49
aussie
Closet golf nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon 269 View Post
In my experience, water chemistry can alter within days or even hours during the height of summer and/or when bather load is high. Taking a sample to a pool shop once a fortnight certainly wouldn't have worked on any of the 60 or so pools I maintained. I'm glad it's done so for you but I've seen pools go from perfect to green algae-infested messes in a matter of days when owners have neglected to check and adjust chlorine levels, pH etc or have had the filtration system running for too few hours per day. Then they called me in to fix it for them and offer advice on how to prevent it happening again. Simple mantra: 'check daily and ensure that you filter sufficiently for the conditions and pool use'.

If your bathers use a lot of suntan lotion, be sure to insist they shower off the excess before going in the pool. Otherwise, get used to cleaning a greasy filth off the waterline and increase filtration time and backwash frequency to get the stuff out of suspension in the water. Suntan oil was the biggest PITA I had with my pools in the summer. People seem to think that the thicker they layer it on, the more protection it offers.

But I digress. I'd suggest that until anyone gets to know the quirks of their own pool well, they should test the water at least every other day during the times when the pool is being used. Understanding pool water chemistry isn't difficult and once you have that knowledge you can start to anticipate what will happen with your pool and make adjustments ahead of time. It's a dynamic process and that's why I recommend you learn how to do it yourself rather than take samples to someone else for a distant diagnosis.
You can get it tested as many times as you like, but for my pool type and the low usage, this is what was recommended and I have never had an issue.

I am not unfamiliar with water chemistry in general as I have run a couple of small potable water treatment plants ( for 1500 man work camps), but felt it would still be beneficial to have a pool shop test the water as they have the expensive gear to give accurate readings, local knowledge, etc.

The test strips that I have here at home are dodgy to say the least and I'm not interested in spending money on decent test equipment like the gear I used in those potable water plants when the pool shop will test it for nothing 2 miles up the road.

Its only my family who use it so no large bather load, except twice a year for my kids parties. I usually get the water tested the day before and shock it the day after. Usually its just my two kids though. They might swim every second day in summer and never in winter. I might get in once in a while but not often.

I use chemical stabiliser and a UV blanket which I think helps with retention of the chemicals/ Cl2 and its a salt water pool so as long as their is adequate salt no problems. Of course if I get 4 inches of rain, I know that I need more salt and might even need a little liquid chlorine, so I put a little in, or head up to the pool shop once the forecast is good.
I also need to adjust pH as my pool is fibreglass and this is how they. I do this with HCL. Needs about 1 ltr per fortnight.

My pump runs water through my sand filter for 8 hours in the summer and 6 in winter, again as was recommended with the local conditions. The pool isn't heated but runs at about 25-28 deg C in summer with the blanket keeping it pretty warm. Sometimes I leave the blanket off overnight to let some heat out of it over summer, but it goes back on in daytime to prevent evaporation.

Last edited by aussie; 06-19-2017 at 02:03 AM.
aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:56 AM   #50
Falcon 269
Just passing through

Good post which says that you actually know your own pool very well and have a 'test and treat' process which combines your knowledge with the input from the pool shop.

Perhaps I misunderstood your initial post but it came across as though you did little other than take a sample to the shop every couple of weeks and put in whatever chemicals they recommended, with no other thought or anticipation on your part. Sorry if that was the case. I just wanted the OP to get the idea that pool maintenance and water chemistry aren't things that can be looked at so infrequently.

I agree that test strips are virtually next to useless. Although I used the full gamut of professional test procedures, day-to-day I used to just check total chlorine and pH. Knowing the factors which lead to an increase in combined chlorine and the corresponding decrease in free chlorine, I was able to anticipate what was going on with the water and confirm it with a comprehensive test every week or two, depending on pool usage etc. In other words, pretty much what you've been doing.

When you have regular 'eyes on' your pool and understand the factors that influence water chemistry, doing what you do works like a champ.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:26 AM   #51
aussie
Closet golf nut

Yep, but the hour I spent with that pool guy fast tracked this knowledge, which is why I mentioned it. He was able to inform me of what I needed to do, when to do it and what to look out for.

I really wanted to tap into what they find works with my pool type (fibreglass shell) and the local conditions (which I knew only a little about as I had just moved 1000klm south from a much warmer climate). Even things like pool size which was important for knowing to work out dose rates for chemicals. My pool is kidney shaped with a separate spa so it wasn't an easy calculation to make. The pool guy took one look at it and knew how many litres it held.

We moved into his house in the height of summer and I wanted the pool to be right from day 1, so figured it was money well spent. I might have been able to get to the same point after spending 3 months of trial and error working it out for myself and then end up nailing it just as my kids lost interest due to the weather getting cooler.
aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #52
Falcon 269
Just passing through

Sure, but as you said previously, you already had some prior understanding of water chemistry and that would have been a great help, I suspect.

Things like calculating the volume of irregular shaped pools is covered thoroughly in the manual I suggested to the OP, in addition to pool construction, pump types - literally everything you could need to know.

I've helped many folks new to Spain get started with maintaining their own pools (not something many Brits have back in the UK ) but even with a handout of notes covering everything I told them in the hour or so, they would invariably be back with more questions later on. There's simply too much to cover in an hour and when you start talking chemistry to most people they get that 1000-yard stare in very short order!

Last edited by Falcon 269; 06-20-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Falcon 269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #53
grommet
kinetic mentality

I ordered the book. It will be here tomorrow.

You know about the 1000 yd stare too? Falcon, thanks for all the info. I'd love to meet you sometime. No current plans to visit España but if I ever do, Rocinante will no doubt find her way to your area.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:08 PM   #54
Falcon 269
Just passing through

Oh, yes ... had the 1000 yard stare myself many, many times.

I've said for years that there's hundreds of guys on this site that I'd love to meet up with - it's a great forum that has continued from strength to strength despite having been in existence for so long.

Maybe we should arrange to meet up at Aussie's place? He's got a really good pool we could use, that's for sure!

Mike
Old 06-20-2017, 06:26 PM   #55
DaveAA

ah sand filter. nice. yeah if a finger or fingers break, you'd know RIGHT away
Old 06-21-2017, 06:22 AM   #56
Todd S
I got into RR's pants!

Liking this idea of a gather at aussie's pad!

Hey aussie, you still in touch with any of our other old members down under? Roo, Cookie, etc?

-T
Old 06-21-2017, 07:51 AM   #57
grommet
kinetic mentality

Update - water is now clear, chemical levels are stabilized. There is a regular buildup of stuff settled on the bottom, being dropped in by the trees/dust/etc all the time, but I'm happy with the way things are going. Probably going to end up with one of the automated crawlers to keep it clean. Until then it will be a regular dance with the vacuum and scrub brush.

It's now part of my morning routine to go out and check the water, clean the skimmers, and pick up any other floating debris.

So glad I started this thread. Thanks again for all the good advice.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:43 PM   #58
Falcon 269
Just passing through

Good job! Enjoy the fruits of your labors.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:12 PM   #59
DaveAA

automatic vac, I like hayward navigators. wear parts are easily replaced, and cheap. kreepy krawlies are ok too
Old 08-01-2017, 07:38 AM   #60
grommet
kinetic mentality

Follow up: The pool is doing very well, and we are using it almost every day.

I ended up having to drain it and pressure wash the surface. I found out from the neighbors that the 2nd owner back had neglected it for a very long time and it basically turned into a pond. The guy who owned it before me tried to take care of it but there was a layer of dirt/dead algae/calcium covering the bottom and sides that I was just moving around, stirring up, and could not get it cleared up. A lot of the stuff was dissolved in the water so the filter could not take it out and clarifiers were unable to bond/react or whatever they do.

Since I refilled it, no problems and it's not hard to maintain. A few ounces of algicide a week, 1 chlorine tablet per day, regular skimming and vacuuming the few leaves that make their way to the bottom a couple of times a week. Water is crystal clear and it's very nice in this hot weather to go out there at the end of the day and play or just relax for a while.

Thanks again for all the help.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion