click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 07-17-2019, 12:29 AM   #421
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!

Update from appointment on 7/16:

They're moving on this fast. Faster than I thought they would. The consult turned into an appointment to get her mask made for the stereotactic radiosurgery. This is a different machine than the Gamma Knife, but the same principles apply. They want to attack this dural metastasis before it can progress and farther into the meningeal layers. I had to research some of this, so here is a good link, wikipedia of course, on the dura mater.

The oncologist told us this is the real deal. I mean, like it wasn't before? But in reality, this is a whole new ball game. Whereas before the cancer was not in or around, or at least not threatening, any vital organs, now it is threatening the most vital organ. They squeezed her appointment in today amongst an already crowded schedule, and that in itself speaks volumes. They got the mask done during that appointment and we are currently awaiting a call back on when to start her treatments. It should be no later than Monday, but most likely this week. She is scheduled for 4 weeks of treatments, for a total of 20. The actual treatment themselves will only be around 3 minutes long, so total time in the hospital will be at a minimum.

One of the upsides to this treatment is the use of the mask I mentioned. It is a hard plastic mesh that is softened with heat and then molded around her face. Once cooled it re-hardens and fits her face and neck area perfectly. The mesh has a frame that attaches to the table to keep her head immobile while they do the procedure. This, of course, is far better than the frame used for the Gamma Knife procedure.

They told us there should be no neurological side effects from this procedure. There will, however, be other side effects, the primary one being hair loss in that area. Overall, Jackie views this as a minor thing. She's lost her hair before during her initial chemo years ago, so she know how to rock short hair or no hair at all if need be. It is unknown if it would be permanent or not, only time can tell that. I don't care either way. She's beautiful with or without it.

That's it for now. As always, the continued support of prayers and good thoughts are appreciated more than you know. Thanks for reading. Stay well, my friends.

Pic 1: An example of the mask they made for her.
Pic 2: An example of the machine, a Varian TrueBeam, that they will be using.
Pic 3: An close up pic of the meningeal layers I described from the wikipedia site, properly attributed of course!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32110-with-Loxon-and-hybrid-mask_HR.jpg (124.6 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg Tx_Delivery_Truebeam_002_960x500.jpg (52.1 KB, 191 views)
File Type: png 1024px-Meninges-en.svg.png (262.0 KB, 192 views)
Old 07-17-2019, 04:14 AM   #422
Stella Blue
Yucksamush

Thanks for the update, continued prayers coming for Jackie and you. Keep the faith!
Stella Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:33 AM   #423
okaugust
bring your cheer

Using the gamma gun to knock this out!

Old 07-17-2019, 10:32 AM   #424
Tom Renda
I'm Spartacus! I'm Spartacus!

Glad to see they are moving swiftly. You would not believe how many medical offices ignore the importance of prompt scheduling when there is something very time sensitive.

Hang in there!
87 ZG1000 Concours
84 FJ1100
84 Laverda RGS1000
82 Moto Guzzi LeMans 850 Mark III
81 Honda CB900f
75 Norton Commando 850
75 Triumph Trident T160
71 Honda SL175
67 BSA Bantam 175
67 BSA Trail Bronc 175
Tom Renda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:07 PM   #425
WDD

How goes the battle?
Old 08-08-2019, 08:31 PM   #426
hooligan998

She is about half way through her radiation treatments. They seem to be going as planned. She is starting to show more fatigue than normal, and she says her hair hurts. This may be a sign she will start losing hair in that area. Not sure if we can prevent that or not, but she is going to try a few things. She has received several nice scarves for wearing, but she was never big on them even when she went totally bald with the infusion chemo.

We have been blessed with family and friends wanting to take her to her appointments, which works really well for me since I work nights. I could get home in time to get her there and still be home in time to sleep, but this makes things so much easier for me. I'm usually in for the price of a cheap breakfast for the driver, which I gladly pay.

In other news, we are now officially empty nesters. We have been going through and de-cluttering and deep cleaning of the house. I've yet to actually have the locksmith come out, but I tell the girls he is on speed dial! But they'll be in for a shock when they come home unannounced and catch us running around in our birfday suits! LOL!

Thank you for thinking about us and asking. It means more than you know.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #427
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

First two photos are exactly like what I had used on me for my radiation treatments on my orbit. The mask was so weird as it was being molded and it was strange having my face strapped for the treatments.

Praying for y’all! Fight fight fight
Old 08-10-2019, 09:00 PM   #428
hooligan998

Yep, it was a sign all right. Her hair started coming out Friday night in the area being treated. We knew it was going to happen, but she was still very upset about it. After playing with it for a bit, she did manage to style it so it was less noticeable. Some quick research shows that it may only be temporary, and if so it will take about 3 to 4 months to start to grow back. She knows the important thing here is that a little hair loss is better than losing the battle on the grounds of vanity.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:34 PM   #429
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.

Kudos to your wife, and to you, for the fortitude.

I'm sorry that she has to continue to fight this disease.

You all will be in my prayers.
BruinFZ1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:29 PM   #430
hooligan998

Jackie rang the bell yesterday celebrating her last round of radiation. She's been a real trooper through all of this, and has even made jokes about her "extended cul-de-sac" hair-do. She lost more hair than the doctor led us to believe, but it is what it is. It's only hair. I'm taking her away this weekend to see friends in NC. She needs a getaway and they have a great secluded place in the woods. She even bought me a new toy so I can take her in style...

Click HERE to see the pics since I posted them in another thread.

She will have scans in one month to see how effective the treatments were.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:56 AM   #431
grommet
kinetic mentality

Glad to hear the news on the radiation being done. Every time I think about what you must be going through it blows me away, and I continue to be amazed by how you and Jackie have handled this.

Great new truck. I like it.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:43 AM   #432
okaugust
bring your cheer

Like the wife by the truck even better!
Old 08-22-2019, 06:38 AM   #433
Todd S
I got into RR's pants!

Nice that Jackie wrapped this round, and that she egged you on to get that new truck! I could tow the hell out of our camper with that thing... Looks sweet.

Give each other a hug from us.

-T
Old 08-22-2019, 06:58 AM   #434
Fitty
Picture added for humor only

That’s great on both counts!

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #435
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Praying for Jackie that the follow up scan next month turns out to be tremendous! You two are just plain awesome.

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:19 PM   #436
COOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
You two are just plain awesome.
this
Old 09-16-2019, 02:36 PM   #437
WDD

How are things these days?
Old 09-16-2019, 08:24 PM   #438
hooligan998

Well, we're waiting on some follow up scans and then we will see the radiation oncologist and find out how effective those 20 rounds were. I am a bit ticked off at the neurologist that did the gamma knife surgery though. We just had an appointment with him that amounted to nothing and that was after waiting for over an hour after our scheduled appt. time. I know things happen, but no one came in to check on us or let us know what was going on. The radiation oncologist though, this guy is on point. We'll know more once we follow up with him. So stay tuned for that.

In other news, our son recently moved to San Diego for his new job with the Navy. I bought Jackie a plane ticket to fly her out there and she is enjoying a week in sunny San Dog now as I write this. She made the trip fine and United jumped through hoops to make sure she made her connecting flights on time with a wheelchair assist through the terminal and with pre-boarding assistance. She flew through Houston on the way there and flies through Dallas on the way back. So kudos to United for the service provided, even if their baggage policy and pricing schedule sucks.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:36 AM   #439
WileECoyote
ACME Test Subject

Location: Bridgeville PA, its not Ten Cee but okay for now......
Keeping the faith D, prayers sent.

Surprised she feels up to traveling, good for her. A trooper for sure.

My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:43 PM   #440
hooligan998

That she is and travelling took all she had, but she wanted in her heart to go see our son. I wasn't gonna tell her no. I couldn't take the time off otherwise I would have went with her. She's having a good time though. Our son is still working while she's there, so she is getting rest during the day, but he has half days the rest of this week and they have a few things planned with Disneyland on Saturday being the grand finale before the trip home. She will have a scooter rental for that day though as it would be way too much for her to walk all that.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion