click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 06-30-2019, 04:19 PM   #1
organ donor

Motorcycle riding in Michigan?

I'm thinking about taking a four day weekend this week and depending on weather spending that 4 days on the back of the bike. I've never been to Michigan except for a layover in the Detroit airport. Is there any decent roads to ride up there, similar to eastern Tennessee, Georgia, or Arkansas? Anyone with experience that could give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated. I'm figuring the temps will be a little nicer north than south. I'm in central Illinois so I Thought about going up the west side of Lake Michigan through Wisconsin going around the north side and back down the east side of Lake Michigan through Michigan back down through Indiana and then home. Again any input on roads worth riding places to see etc. I might try to slide out of work a little early on Wednesday and make it to Wisconsin by dark. Not sure on logistics of when and where I'll be but anyone in those areas who might want to meet up to ride or have a meal let me know. I'm needing some motorcycle medicine to unwind so I definitely want to go somewhere and again depending on weather I'll plan on deals gap/suches Ga. area or Arkansas or the above. Three days to research and decide which is a step up in the planning ahead dept for me.
organ donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:57 PM   #2
jeffg

This will be very helpful for me too. I'm searching for interesting roads from Ludington MI traveling South to Ohio.
I'm watching with great interest.

02 FZ1 sold
09 FZ1
04 Ducati 999
O2 R6 trackday
jeffg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:12 PM   #3
Fitty
Picture added for humor only

bradd and his son just rode some of that area, and FUP lives in northern MI. You might pm them.

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:16 PM   #4
organ donor

I guess I should change the thread title to include Wisconsin too in case I do the circle of Lake Michigan like I'm considering.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:51 AM   #5
82packer
Shoe King

Nope.... no good roads here. If your lucky you can find a couple miles of roads that run along a river. For the most part our roads will just beat the shit out of you.
82packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:01 AM   #6
reubswinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by organ donor View Post
Is there any decent roads to ride up there, similar to eastern Tennessee, Georgia, or Arkansas?
Short answer is no. Not even close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by organ donor View Post
Thought about going up the west side of Lake Michigan through Wisconsin going around the north side and back down the east side of Lake Michigan through Michigan back down through Indiana and then home. Again any input on roads worth riding places to see etc.
There are some okay roads and some cool places to see along this route. Not sure how much time you have for sight seeing or if you just want to ride straight through. Mackinaw and the bridge are pretty cool. If you have time, exploring the Mackinaw Island is pretty interesting. Hugging the east side of lake Michigan will give you decent roads...probably the most curvey around. Once you get to Traverse city (decent wine tours, but probably not going to be into that on a motorcycle) I would follow 22 up and around the peninsula. That is decent riding. You can go to the tip and visit Leelanau State park. Interesting shore line and light house if thats something you are into. If you follow 22 around it will bring you to sleeping bear dunes, which is a cool place to drive through and explore. After that you are basically just following the coast line. There are a few quaint towns along the lake shore on your way down. Other than that, not much comes to mind. If you like the scenery of sand and the lake, you will enjoy that trip.
reubswinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:10 AM   #7
reubswinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffg View Post
This will be very helpful for me too. I'm searching for interesting roads from Ludington MI traveling South to Ohio.
I'm watching with great interest.
You are kind of out of luck. You don't even really get the joy of hugging the coast line as you need to travel across the state. I am not familiar with the central/east side of Michigan...but I haven't heard of much for good riding, at least not as you head south.
reubswinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:40 AM   #8
organ donor

Well that's a bummer, I thought with all that water there might be some decent roads up that way. Maybe I'll head south to Tenn., Georgia area. I've been to Arkansas southern Missouri twice since September and haven't been to Tenn. on the bike for a while.

I imagine anywhere I go is probably going to be a congested mad house though.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:57 AM   #9
FUP
I crashed the swing too

There are some fun roads up here in the northern tip of the lower peninsula - problem is all the vacationers/campers/fudgies that will be up here also.
For the best roads and riding area I've experienced up here - look up "Driftless" in Wisconsin. It's truly special in many ways.
ATK 605SM
WR450
FUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #10
oldjeep

4th of july weekend in cabin country sounds like more fun than i could deal with. Dodging blown trailer tires, flying life jackets, cushions and tubes.
http://www.oldjeep.com
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:16 AM   #11
BlackStar

M-22 north from Manistee is nice, as is M-119 north from Harbor Springs is nice too. Neither are Eastern TN nice, but not bad for Michigan.
2016 Suzuki DR650
2015 Road Glide
2007 FZ1
1978 Suzuki GS1000
2014 Victory Cross Country (Gone)
2011 WR450F (Gone)
2010 FJR (Gone)
2009 BMW R1200R (Gone)
2008 FJR (Gone)
2005 Roadstar Warrior (Gone)
2003 WR250 (Gone)
BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion