click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 06-24-2019, 06:50 AM   #61
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunderfighter View Post
He doesn't have space to keep a trailer, and doesn't want to rent one every time, I don't think. He likes to load it up the bed with ramps, showing off his strong build ;)
Can confirm!
MichaelFZ1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:25 AM   #62
glory racing

Hey Michael, It was good getting to meet ya last week...glad ya called. Did y'all get out of AR unscathed? Come back with a scooter in tow next time and I'll show ya around. (figured this was as good a thread as any to briefly hijack)
glory racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:43 AM   #63
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Quote:
He doesn't have space to keep a trailer, and doesn't want to rent one every time, I don't think. He likes to load it up the bed with ramps, showing off his strong build ;)
Underfighter knows me well. And yes, no space for the trailer, although I have a few friends who Iím sure would let me keep it at their place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glory racing View Post
Hey Michael, It was good getting to meet ya last week...glad ya called. Did y'all get out of AR unscathed? Come back with a scooter in tow next time and I'll show ya around. (figured this was as good a thread as any to briefly hijack)
Get on outta here! Git!

Well got the truck towed back in front of my apartment. Michael they took my driveshaft off for me. I was really surprised. Drive Shaft is aluminum. Carried it with one hand. Bell housing also extremely lighter than I expe ted. Maybe 40-50lbs. I canít do anything until I get off work on July 4th. Will be getting all the coordination together as soon as I can.

And for those suggesting selling/getting something different. I donít know how yíall couldíve missed all these years that Iím a frugal ass. Itís a 3500$ Truck that I could now claim has new seals and the transmission has been torn apart and all syncros and beaings and guides are good. Thatís a plus. But I wonít be flipping it and selling immediately first off anyways. If I got a vehicle to tow a LD trailer with, it would have to be an SUV. Even late 2000ís arenít cheap. So I could sell my Mazda 3 for like 3500$ (maybe) and truck for ($3500$) and pick up a Honda CRV for like 8-9K. But those only get like 25-26 highway. Not horrible, but i drove 27K miles in the last year on my Mazda 3 alone (and really if you consider my work schedule I was only free to drive it maybe 9 months) and my new job has me traveling back and forth from TX to OK more (job change to W TX would fix this) but anyways, MPG is a concern. And yes, still avoiding a car note like itís an STD so. Lots to consider. Easy just to say ďsell the truck and buy another carĒ. Well I donít just make rash decisions and blow money either.

Hereís a picture of my first tranny in my vehicle
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 29211C8E-B6A5-4E05-908A-D135867F14CF.jpeg (96.7 KB, 184 views)
Old 06-24-2019, 10:12 AM   #64
glory racing

I was just curious, what is the best oil to run in my motorcycle? Also wont' be long before I am in need of new tires...what tires are good? Thinkin about a new bike as well. What should I get?
Old 06-24-2019, 05:20 PM   #65
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Iíll be back with a bike, for sure!

But Iíll be back late next month(bikeless again) to Springfield and Branson.

Thank you for the pointers on the local sights! Nice lil town youíve got there.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:23 AM   #66
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

"I don't make rash decisions"
Didn't you almost buy a house on 2 months notice?!
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:29 AM   #67
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Quote:
"I don't make rash decisions"
Didn't you almost buy a house on 2 months notice?!
I explored the option and declined!
Old 07-01-2019, 07:04 AM   #68
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
I was just curious, what is the best oil to run in my motorcycle? Also wont' be long before I am in need of new tires...what tires are good? Thinkin about a new bike as well. What should I get?
Such easy, almost rhetorical, questions. Glad you asked.

1. The best oil? Synthetic.

2. Good motorcycle tire? Modern, round, black, and within 1 year date code.

3. Yes, get a new or "new to you" motorcycle. I hear Gen 1 FZ1's are decent.

You're welcome.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:37 PM   #69
Cruzman
ATGATT It's the only way 2 fly

Good read folks. Jake let us know when the truck is back together.

2001 FZ1000 "Stella" Re-jeted, AIS eliminated, 07 R1 Fork Swap with BrianG stem and AK20s, mini led turn signals, K&N filter, R6 rear shock conversion,Gauge of Eternal Coolness, 4 degree advancer mod, SS Brake-Lines
DanMoto Rearsets, Akrapovic slip-on [/color]
2014 BMW S1000R "Trixie"
Cruzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:01 PM   #70
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Well the saga has finally ended.

My specialty transmission place was amazing. Everything was fine and they were able to find a non worn input bearing retainer shaft. Idiots at the first shop (who took out the tranny and supposedly boxed everything) had knocked some seals out of the front case that can’t be replaced so they put a new front case on as well. Had them ship it to a buddy who gave me a great deal on install. And 3 qts Of super fancy dual clutch ATF that apparently works well with my tranny (my tranny is similar in design to the gt350 transmission apparently). Total cost of rebuild, new front case , new seals and new retainer shaft AND shipped... only 379$. Full rebuild my ass.

Buddy manages a shop and had one of his guys do the install for 200$. They discovered the shift fork, clutch throwout bearing , and shift tower bushing missing. Called the first shop, ready to chew some ass, go figure, new management. I griped and the new manager said he appreciated the feedback and was sorry that happened.

So I decided to just order a new clutch kit and shift fork. Wasn’t that expensive off Rock auto.

Just got the video of the truck driving around the shop.
Anyways. This seal job in total cost me $1200. And only took about 7 weeks of coordinating (been in the oilfield the last weeks straight).

As much as I’d like to be unhappy, it works out in the end because that work retaining shaft was a ticking time bomb and not something ole Joe Smoe would’ve known to look for. The transmission should last for years and years now.

I’ll be keeping the truck for now. The 3.7L is gutless but reliable, and the transmission shouldn’t have any leaks now.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:47 PM   #71
Fitty
Picture added for humor only

Good to hear it.

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:04 PM   #72
glory racing

Good on ya for staying persistent. Glad it all worked out in a way you are satisfied.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:09 PM   #73
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

Well that's done... you are a warrior with wolverine tenacity. How do we beef up the engine ? I also recommend a power lock / key-less start system linked to your phone. You won't lose that !

I still dig the bell housing riding shotgun... a nice wig and you have the HOV discount . Don't work too hard or melt yer brain or stuff.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:42 AM   #74
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

Not a bad ending all in all!
I wonder if that first shop was trying to scam, or just in over their heads with no clue what they were doing?
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:57 AM   #75
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend

Quote:
Not a bad ending all in all!
I wonder if that first shop was trying to scam, or just in over their heads with no clue what they were doing?
Not necessarily either, most shops are tempted to be too much for too many customers. Probably just not familiar with that particular transmission. I've turned away engine work I was unfamiliar with before, but not often.
Specialty shops are becoming more rare, with automatic transmission shops outsourcing rebuilds and taking on more traditional work.
A shop that specializes in manual transmissions for cars and light truck is nearly unheard of any more.

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:17 AM   #76
WDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSilver View Post
Not necessarily either, most shops are tempted to be too much for too many customers. Probably just not familiar with that particular transmission. I've turned away engine work I was unfamiliar with before, but not often.
Specialty shops are becoming more rare, with automatic transmission shops outsourcing rebuilds and taking on more traditional work.
A shop that specializes in manual transmissions for cars and light truck is nearly unheard of any more.

Mostly because manual transmissions are nearly unheard of any more......

Old 08-01-2019, 12:03 PM   #77
grommet
kinetic mentality

Glad to hear you got is sorted out, Jake.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:01 PM   #78
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDD View Post

I donít even own an automatic.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:41 PM   #79
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Yep, happy to hear you got the truck back in working order. What an ordeal. Go tiger!
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:25 PM   #80
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDD View Post

Fast becoming the ultimate anti-theft device.

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion