click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 12-20-2006, 04:36 PM   #21
Hughmoris
What goes here?

I think I am going to pull the trigger on a Canon XT this weekend.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:44 PM   #22
Barb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmoris
I think I am going to pull the trigger on a Canon XT this weekend.

I can't wait to find time to try mine and read the book. It's still in the box.
Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:41 PM   #23
Hughmoris
What goes here?

Well, after burning the midnight oil and playing around with my 4 year old Fujifilm FinePix A210 3.1MP, I decided I am going to hold off for a while on a new camera. I lost the manual to this thing a long long long time ago, and tonight I looked it up on google and found one and read thru it. This camera is alot more equipped then I thought. I've been shooting in automode since I've had it, and the manual has pointed out configurations I didnt even know the camera had. I know, I'm a dummy.

Anywho, I think I am going to hold onto this one and figure out the basics such as different flashes to use and whitebalance, and really learn to use this camera to its max potential. Then I'll think about moving on Thanks for all the tips!
Old 12-21-2006, 10:17 AM   #24
Alley Oop
Proof That Man Rode Dinosaurs

You can certainly learn photography on a less expensive camera, even many of the point and shoots.

Unfortunately, the Fuji is not one of them. I'd sell it and consider a point and shoot with more options like the Canon A540 for under $200. It allows for ISO to 800, aperture and shutter priority, and even spot metering.
Alley Oop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:38 AM   #25
Hughmoris
What goes here?

Haha figures, after I get myself psyched up into thinking that my Fuji isn't a piece of crap like I originally thought it was....It actually turns out to be the piece up crap I thought it was.

Hmmm.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:44 AM   #26
Alley Oop
Proof That Man Rode Dinosaurs

Not saying it's a bad camera. I just think that one with more manual options will serve you better if your goal is to migrate toward an SLR.

And if you eventually get an SLR, you might enjoy having a basic point-n-shoot for portability and one button operation. I know I do.
Alley Oop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:27 AM   #27
jbright44
The torch was passed...back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Oop
Not saying it's a bad camera. I just think that one with more manual options will serve you better if your goal is to migrate toward an SLR.

And if you eventually get an SLR, you might enjoy having a basic point-n-shoot for portability and one button operation. I know I do.
I told you this guy was a pro. I do the same thing and I agree completely with alley. Having a point and shoot with more manual capability is definitely the way to go and get ahead of the learning curve that comes with switching to SLR's. I still have my Canon SD450 and I take it around when I don't want to carry the big SLR and it does what I need it to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzwhat
I don't respond to Pat (although I often disagree). He is not at all offensive, but (like Bub) has a well demonstrated immunity to any fact. What would be the point?
jbright44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:02 PM   #28
organ donor

I'm looking for some advice on getting into photography. I've been doing some research and it's all a bit overwhelming. Our local community college has an intro summer class to using digital cameras, but it seem aimed at an older "how to use your VCR" crowd in the summary description.

I'm not opposed to spending decent money to get a quality platform that can be built upon as my abilities grow, but I don't want to go overboard either and be lost. Basically, is it like a beginning motorcyclist going out and buying a 1000cc supersport? Will it hurt my learning and progression if I go out and buy a $1500-$3000 camera and lenses, when I should have bought a $500 camera and learned the basics and then upgrade every couple years until my abilities have earned the liter bike? Or can I buy the big fancy camera and grow into it over the years instead of buying multiple cameras? Hopefully that analogy makes sense.

My focus would mainly be still photography; landscape, wildlife, portraits, night sky type of things not action/sports photography.

I figured I'd just resurrect this 13 year old thread as opposed to starting a new one.

If anymore information is needed let me know. I will also be stalking through photography forums as well, but I know we have some professional semi-pro photogs here so.....
organ donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:13 PM   #29
Desmo
Hello ladies...

Oh my goodness the GGB returns!!!
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:10 PM   #30
Sam9

I’m thinking about getting a digital camera myself. Do they have the bugs worked out of those yet?
Sam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:23 PM   #31
quazz
Reality can be a tricky thing

I have a Nikn D5200 Nd I love it. I know very little about cameras but reviewed them extensively before buying mine and it has been great for me. I ended up buying couple lenses and since I like take pictures of wildlife I bought a Nikon 70 - 300 zoom lens and it was a game changer. It was really expensive but it allows me to get much more out of the camera, I can take pictures that are just not possible without it.
All of the equipment in the world doesn't matter unless you have an eye for great photos. Like bikes you can buy the latest and greatest but it doesn't make you fast. I think all modern brand name DSLRs are good for us amateurs and it is hard to go wrong. If you take a crappy photo it is rarely the fault of the equipment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lens.jpg (102.0 KB, 45 views)

93 Ford F150, leather shift knob (missing), rubber mats, AM/FM radio.
quazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:35 PM   #32
quazz

oops I didn't realize this was a 13 yr old thread. Cameras have not become cheaper but you get more features today. I think if you get a decent DSLR brand like canon or Nikon you can always add to it over the years. Costco has good prices but I bet you will want to add a lens or two in the future. The technical stuff is largely automated on these cameras so you can scroll through the effects or icons describing the conditions you are shooting in.
You can get a really nice set up for the money you mention.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:43 PM   #33
Desmo
Hello ladies...

Look at the great pics Tina takes with her P900. It’s a relatively small camera but is super simple to use and gets great results.

I spent a grand to replace my old DSLR a few years ago. It’s got all sorts of bells an whistles and I don’t understand half of them so I never use it. It’s also a big beast. No fun to carry.

Ymmv
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:51 PM   #34
quazz

Yes Tina takes amazing photos. The rider is more important than the bike.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:08 PM   #35
bplaxton

I go back and forth on whether to buy one of these. Fun to fool around with but if I'm honest I won't want to carry it around most of the time. iphone takes nice portraits and videos which is mostly what I want. Convenience is a huge factor.
2006 shift red, TBR slip-on, cat gutted, modded flies, lars airbox, Ivan's ECU flash and map, DJ PCIII, AIS block, Blind Spot's fuel line, EXUP eliminator, speedohealer, ventura tail rack, HID conversion, throttlemeister bar ends, yamaha gel seat, Watsen Design signals, Satan666 adaptor & R1 shock, Fen Tubo SS lines.
bplaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:47 PM   #36
quazz

Yes they are a pain in the butt to carry around. 99% of my photos are with my phone but
for any serious photography they aren't up to scratch. They are great for email and most purposes but it is a different league. I hate carrying it around so when I want to take good photos I have a photography day. It is much more of a planned thing than whipping out my phone and taking a picture.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:48 AM   #37
Rabeet
Boys of Walmart

I mostly use my iPhone.

At this point I give away cameras and lenses. Not, not to you.

If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule? - Anton Chigurh

If it ain't it'll do til the mess gets here. - Ed Tom Bell

He wants to know the names of all those he's better than - Little Hitlers Elvis Costello
Rabeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:47 AM   #38
_Will_

I used my iPhone for most things but spent my early 20’s in a B&W darkroom and miss the tinkering. I was always more of a darkroom photographer. I enjoyed chilling in a low lit cool room with some tunes and a set of negatives to play with, digital editing has just never replaced it for me.

That being said. Phones these days do take some nice photos but I can see the digital trickery and it bugs me. It won’t be long before the algorithms catch up but for now they’re a work in progress.

Depth of field is the hot new thing under the term bokeh, in the first pic you can see random spots of blur and abrupt changes where the software wasn’t sure, the second pic it does better in having a level of progression.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 972ACA88-8AC3-4CB3-8F62-B508D3A0F5BF.jpeg (90.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpeg 819A2C8F-93EA-4039-A49C-02B2C71F1374.jpeg (172.8 KB, 21 views)
_Will_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:00 AM   #39
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Quote:
Originally Posted by organ donor View Post
My focus would mainly be still photography; landscape, wildlife, portraits, night sky type of things not action/sports photography.
The "full size" cameras with expensive lenses are still ahead for high speed/action use cases, but that's about it. It might be worthwhile picking up an older one to play with, to learn the basic principals, but I would not suggest going out and buying an expensive new DSLR unless you had a specific application that required it.

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 03:54 PM   #40
quazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabeet View Post
I mostly use my iPhone.

At this point I give away cameras and lenses. Not, not to you.
My Google Pixel phone takes surprisingly great shots. Over 99% of my pics are taken with this but my best quality photos are from my SLR.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion