register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 1 Service & Maintenance

Old 07-11-2017, 10:27 AM   #1
nadrepadre

Difficulty starting after running

After riding just 20 miles I parked. Two hours later went to start it to move it inside, and it was having some real difficulty catching. Tried the choke in several positions. Eventually got it starting by manipulating the throttle. I didn't smell an excess of fuel or anything. On some of my carb'd cars I've owned, the fuel would boil in the bowls and flood the engine. Does that ever happen on these bikes? I have yet to pull the tank off and check everything out. Bike has gytr pipe and some sort of jet kit but I'm not sure which one. Previous owner claimed 150HP but who knows.
nadrepadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #2
YamahaMan444
Hide your daughters, Im single

That claim is far fetched, even with pods and Ivan's jet kit.

These bikes do like a blip of the throttle while pressing the starter. If I don't blip the throttle , it will literally take 30 seconds to catch and fire up. It is the nature of the stock carb float height to flood some after running, prompting the use of the throttle when starting. I believe pats site on the upper right and Ivan's site both reference that as one of the issues with the stock carbs.

I use my throttle every time I start my bike. I'm at 58K. You'll be alright. Ride more. Worry less.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:08 AM   #3
nadrepadre

Yeah from what I've read, 150 is almost unreachable on this engine. I wasn't really concerned because even 110 is plenty for my riding style. I think this winter I'm going to do some work on it. I'm willing to bet it has the factory filter and airbox. Just moved up to Wisconsin and it's nice to be able to buy fuel without ethanol. I'm sure that helps.

Glad to know that the throttle blip is a normal thing.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:28 AM   #4
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

You might have some blockage in the jets, which can make the bike difficult to start when it's warm. I usually don't need to use the lever if it's been ridden and fairly warm, but throttle always, as stated. You just get to know what it likes and doesn't...

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:30 PM   #5
longeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadrepadre View Post
Yeah from what I've read, 150 is almost unreachable on this engine. ... Just moved up to Wisconsin ...
Glad to know that the throttle blip is a normal thing.
Where did you read that? The guys racing them in Australia were getting 180's out of theirs. Ivan was in the mid 150's to 160 with his road bike. If the P.O. was referring to crank HP, 150 is a pretty average number-not that far from stock. 150 RWHP needs a full system, thin head gasket, boots & port clean up and proper cam timing, exhaust & carb tuning to get there.

FWIW, my floats are set at 14.5mm. My bike starts & stays running with no throttle application, hot or cold regardless..until the weather gets cold & needs a little choke & an 1/8th throttle to fire. When I first got my bike I used to give it throttle to start, until I realized that the reason it was sometimes harder to start than others was because of that habit. After I set my idle up to 1250 cold with the little adjuster knob on the left side, I just turn the key.

On another note, Welcome to Wisconsin! It's a beautiful state. If you're unaware of it, a bunch of guys go for a group ride every fall. Search on the "midwest fall gather" on this site to sign up, I'm sure you'd be welcome. One tip... guard your chow with your life or you could starve ;)
longeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:00 PM   #6
klj7734

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
That claim is far fetched, even with pods and Ivan's jet kit.
148.1 hp is not "far fetched"
klj7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:07 PM   #7
YamahaMan444
Hide your daughters, Im single

I wasn't referring to crank HP. Highest Ivan's Dyno shows is 147 RWHP. Without pods or the full system and MB jets, it is far fetched. It's a lot of gain. I didn't mean to say its not possible. But it does sound like that seller was blowing smoke.

Didn't mean to rustle you pod guys. Oops!
Old 07-15-2017, 08:32 AM   #8
nadrepadre

Quote:
Originally Posted by longeze View Post
Where did you read that? The guys racing them in Australia were getting 180's out of theirs. Ivan was in the mid 150's to 160 with his road bike. If the P.O. was referring to crank HP, 150 is a pretty average number-not that far from stock. 150 RWHP needs a full system, thin head gasket, boots & port clean up and proper cam timing, exhaust & carb tuning to get there.

FWIW, my floats are set at 14.5mm. My bike starts & stays running with no throttle application, hot or cold regardless..until the weather gets cold & needs a little choke & an 1/8th throttle to fire. When I first got my bike I used to give it throttle to start, until I realized that the reason it was sometimes harder to start than others was because of that habit. After I set my idle up to 1250 cold with the little adjuster knob on the left side, I just turn the key.

On another note, Welcome to Wisconsin! It's a beautiful state. If you're unaware of it, a bunch of guys go for a group ride every fall. Search on the "midwest fall gather" on this site to sign up, I'm sure you'd be welcome. One tip... guard your chow with your life or you could starve ;)
Just from reading on this forum. I was referring to RWHP, not crank. Previous owner showed me a dyno sheet, but that's easy enough to manipulate. I'm not sure what a chow is btw. I'd love to ride with some fellow FZ owners!
Old 07-15-2017, 11:02 AM   #9
longeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadrepadre View Post
Just from reading on this forum. I was referring to RWHP, not crank. Previous owner showed me a dyno sheet, but that's easy enough to manipulate. I'm not sure what a chow is btw. I'd love to ride with some fellow FZ owners!
Unless you're going to Bonneville or looking for bragging rights, it's not the peak HP number that matters anyway, it's the area "under the curve". ie. How much torque is being produced ON AVERAGE over time. For the most part, that's what indicates how fast a bike will accelerate and where the fun is. All other things being equal, if your bike has more average torque than mine, but I have 10HP more than yours at peak, you'll still beat me in a drag race. If your Dyno sheet shows SAE HP then some effort was made to demonstrate a proper corrected HP number. There are other standards that could've been used as well, but SAE is commonly used & accepted as fair play for a level playing field to correct for atmospheric conditions.

Chow-lol. It means food as in dog chow. I really need to be more mindful that people who don't know me won't "get" my twisted sense of humor.

@Yamahaman: It's not "the nature" of CV carbs to be problematic. They work extremely well with or without a jet kit when adjusted and maintained correctly. Before damning our carbs as flawed by nature, please consider whether the source of your information has an economic incentive to represent them in that light. Other than a stray cow now n then, no rustling, no ruffling, no pods, no worries ;)
Old 07-16-2017, 08:31 AM   #10
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

No doubt, the CV carbs on the FZ work very well as designed and only need minor tuning to be top notch. Analog works.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #11
longeze

"Analog works" - I wish I had said that. Now that I think about it, that would be a great name for a band too... analog synths & amps have a such a nice fat, warm sound. Yeah I know.. nothing to do with vapor lock. Did you sort the problem or was it just a 1 time thing or...

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 1 Service & Maintenance