click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 04:47 PM   #1041
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52053656
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Old 03-26-2020, 05:25 PM   #1042
organ donor

Trump finally figured out a way to get Mexico to pay for the wall.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:28 PM   #1043
_Will_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Dinnetz View Post
Went to my local market, which is in walking distance, and they had toilet paper, on the shelves! Unbelievable. So, perhaps people are starting to de panic, over this virus. That being said, i have been house hibernating now, for two full weeks.

Sure could use a motorbike ride! lol!

Dean
I saw a couple returning a flatbed cart worth of food at Sam’s the other day. Buyers remorse seems to be accompanying that de panic mentality.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:30 PM   #1044
okaugust
This is the way

That kind of sucks because often food that is returned can't be put back on a shelf, though sometimes it ends up donated. So maybe not the worst end.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:52 PM   #1045
LiquidSilver
Fly Eagles Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by quazz View Post
He is one guy. There are many thousands of experts in this field all over the world. He can't discredit the rest of them by discrediting himself (assuming he did so).
if I want my tractor fixed I will go to an expert in tractors and let them do it. If there is a pandemic I may choose not to go to the same guy and instead go to the experts in that field. These things are way too complicated for me and anyone else who has not been trained in infectious diseases and does not study this stuff for a living. None of us know, but they certainly will know a lot. They have been right so far, sadly. Like my tractor I have to learn as much as I can but trust the experts.
It could be said that Ferguson wrote the tractor repair manual that the others are now cracking open to fix the tractor.
And No, for the most part they haven't been right. Even the worse infection areas haven't run out of ICU space or ventilators. They have sent patients out of NYC hospitals to surrounding areas not because they were at capacity, but because there was a chance they may not be as able to later.
No doubt it has spread. The infection in healthcare workers is as bad as expected.
But the death rate is low and continuing to drop as positive tests come in for those with mild symptoms. 10 deaths or 4% of deaths in NY occurred in those that went into care with no prior medical issues, the other 96% had know medical issues that compromised their ability to recover.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:28 PM   #1046
Sam9

Small town Albany GA is now reporting 16 deaths.

https://youtu.be/AE6X4NVSLgM
Old 03-26-2020, 06:36 PM   #1047
LiquidSilver
Fly Eagles Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam9 View Post
Small town Albany GA is now reporting 16 deaths.

https://youtu.be/AE6X4NVSLgM
That's a lot. Vermont had 8 deaths as of this morning, out of less than 150 cases. I think tests will reveal many more positives.

However, a spread in a nursing home will cause a spike in the numbers for a small town or a small State.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:38 PM   #1048
quazz
Reality can be a tricky thing

The scientists don't predict beds and ICU units and that hospitals haven't run out of ventilators yet doesn't mean much. We are in the bottom of the first inning. They have been right that it would rapidly spread and they also say the peak is several weeks out.
No one person wrote a manual for this. There are thousands of scientists and universities from around the world that study every aspect of infectious diseases. If one is discredited it has no bearing on the rest.
Yes the death rate is lower than first reporting but there was always the caveat that if you use deaths per confirmed cases it would be higher than actual due to the fact there are a lot more cases out there that are not confirmed. Yes if you have a health issue especially a lowered immune system or lung issue you stand a much greater chance of dying. This virus has killed thousands already. Italy showed what can happen if this is not dealt with effectively. We really want to avoid that awful situation and we still can.
I do believe that the measures like social distancing are helping.
Anyway stay healthy and safe.

93 Ford F150, leather shift knob (missing), rubber mats, AM/FM radio.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:41 PM   #1049
LiquidSilver
Fly Eagles Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
Yeah, because Mexico has good health all figured out. My sister's granddaughter returned from Mexico with Influenza B.
And the only other person I know who had the flu this year got it in Germany.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:08 PM   #1050
Desmo
I'll take a Corona!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSilver View Post
Yeah, because Mexico has good health all figured out. My sister's granddaughter returned from Mexico with Influenza B.
And the only other person I know who had the flu this year got it in Germany.
Er wut?
Old 03-26-2020, 07:13 PM   #1051
quazz
Reality can be a tricky thing

I read that trump wants to deploy troops to the Canadian border. I really don't get this. The border is closed for one thing and I can't imagine anyone wanting to leave the country right now. A lot of Canada's cases came from people traveling in the US especially snowbirds. I love the US but i won't be visiting for a while. In fact like almost all of us I am not going anywhere at all.

93 Ford F150, leather shift knob (missing), rubber mats, AM/FM radio.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:35 PM   #1052
Skiman
Renaissance Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Will_ View Post
I saw a couple returning a flatbed cart worth of food at Sam’s the other day. Buyers remorse seems to be accompanying that de panic mentality.
Local King Soopers won't take any returns right now.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:38 PM   #1053
okaugust
This is the way

My friend who just came back from three months in Palm Springs, CA said the snowbirds from Canada there got letters from the Canadian govt that said they had x days to get home and if they didn't the Canadian government wouldn't cover the health related expenses here if they stayed because it was too expensive in the US.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:54 PM   #1054
Sam9

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaugust View Post
My friend who just came back from three months in Palm Springs, CA said the snowbirds from Canada there got letters from the Canadian govt that said they had x days to get home and if they didn't the Canadian government wouldn't cover the health related expenses here if they stayed because it was too expensive in the US.

I watched my father die of pulmonary fibrosis, so would have been looonnng gone.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:54 PM   #1055
Skiman
Renaissance Man

The US is now in first place:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/th...lDh?li=BBnb7Kz
Old 03-26-2020, 11:22 PM   #1056
LiquidSilver
Fly Eagles Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
Er wut?
I don't think Mexico can keep Covid out, it's already there. But maybe Influenza is a bigger issue there this year. My Nephew and his family were in Mexico in Jan-Feb and his daughter caught the flu there.
And in addition the guy I know in Germany who thought he might have Covid actually had a flu instead.

Old 03-27-2020, 12:34 AM   #1057
Tom Renda
A Person Off Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiman View Post

And in Friday's state poll, PA has moved into the top ten (up one from 11th place earlier this week), MD nudges into the top 20 (up from 21 earlier this week), and slacker Virginia inexplicably falls OUT of the Top 25, moving from 23rd to 26th place despite waiting longer than neighboring states to close down bars and restaurants!

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...pgtype=Article
87 ZG1000 Concours
84 FJ1100
84 Laverda RGS1000
82 Moto Guzzi LeMans 850 Mark III
81 Honda CB900f
75 Norton Commando 850
75 Triumph Trident T160
71 Honda SL175
67 BSA Bantam 175
67 BSA Trail Bronc 175
Old 03-27-2020, 12:51 AM   #1058
Sam9

Quote:
I read that trump wants to deploy troops to the Canadian border. I really don't get this. The border is closed for one thing and I can't imagine anyone wanting to leave the country right now. A lot of Canada's cases came from people traveling in the US especially snowbirds. I love the US but i won't be visiting for a while. In fact like almost all of us I am not going anywhere at all.
He wants them to line up on the border and snipe commies. Donald is about doing the lord’s work.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:34 AM   #1059
Pat Glenn
Everything's Just Ducky

I went to Sam's club this morning. Their first day of Senior hours starting at 7AM. I got there right at 7 and the line went around the building all the way to the back. Most everyone had some sort of face mask and gloves. I just had nitrile gloves but was glad other people had face masks. It took 40 minutes to get in with only a few allowed in every 10 minutes or so as shoppers let in ahead checked out and left.

Waiting in line Looking at what people who were coming out bought was interesting. Only 1/2 full shopping carts of paper towels and snacks like potato chips. Seeing this I thought that maybe that was all Sam's had.

Once in it was great, a virtually empty store to shop in as the 6 foot social distance rule was actually overly enforced. Lots of food to choose from but still some empty shelves and a mountain of paper towels but no TP. I got a box of Huggies wipes. Or is that TMI. The frozen food section was a bit depleted but still had most of what they usually have. Plenty of fish, meat, and chicken. Some items were marked only one to a customer but those that were were in good supply.

Checking out at the cash register, the 6 foot rule with the checkout clerk has to be violated. That job places the worker as well as the shopper at greater risk.

I got enough food for me and my Dad for about three weeks, only slightly more that what we usually get. My Dad, 96, did not come. He's staying at home.

Pat
Old 03-27-2020, 04:47 AM   #1060
Pat Glenn
Everything's Just Ducky

Quote:
I read that trump wants to deploy troops to the Canadian border.
That (only a mere 1,000 troops to assist border agents) would have been to stop those who would circumvent the travel ban to the US by first traveling to Canada. But, Ottawa assured us that the border was closed to nonessential traffic and well monitored so those plans were dropped.

Pat
Closed Thread

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion